Old 04-17-2015, 12:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Brass wool or Aluminum wool is better, as it does not rust. Harder to find though, need a good hardware store.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We had a Lab mix that killed and ate them if they came in while we were camping. First time woke us up as she ran around the trailer after it, but she got it somehow. We store ours on an asphalt lot about 30' from woods and never had an issue with three AS and a motorhome, I think the big issues come when they are stored on grass or dirt.

paiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I haven't had a mouse yet either, but I went over, under, in and out and plugged possible access holes. It has been parked next to a corn field for 4 years, when stored. No mice, but my friend (his property) has a really good mouser ferrel cat that lives in the barn next to the AS.

Now that my pad is done at the house, I'll probably be over-run with mice....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Aluminum wool sounds like a great material to plug holes with... then perhaps add some silicon sealant as an adhesive?
Old 04-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We bought our '08 SS in Oct '07. It had the bottom sealed with expanding foam. It is stored in the open and has not been infested with mice or insects to date. The rattlers seem to keep the packrats under control. My neighbor who kills snakes on sight always has a problem with the rats.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Torrington , Wyoming
After plugging and sealing every entryway we could find we still caught a mouse in our trap. Finally, we discovered a tiny opening in the main rail in the front of our AS. Those little legs jumped from the concrete flooring up into the rail...scrambled in and "viola" trailer access. We could not believe it! Talk about mouse Olympics.... That furry fellow would have brought home the gold!
Trust me...that hole is now plugged. No more mice...yea!
Old 04-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
No, Yes they can get in to newer Airstreams

We had mice getting in to our unit (25 FB 2008) this past summer when camping on the Beach in Haida Gwaii.

They didn't seem to take up residence but contented themselves with nightly raids of of our Dinette table & the Pantry.

We left out traps & some bait all winter but saw no signs of them since returning.

So, yes they can get in (and out) but not sure how they do it.

- evan
Old 04-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #22
Yertle01.com

2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
We bought our 2006 International last November and store it in a gravel parking lot. I've killed 7 mice so far and have missed a couple that tripped the traps. I've tried the moth balls, dryer sheets, and a couple of other products to no avail. And I've plugged every hole this aging body of mine can get to, squirm to that is, and so far see no difference. Next week I'm taking it to the dealer for some work and plan to have them plug any holes I've missed, but you would think that by now, Airstreams would be pretty much mice-proof -- far from it. We keep no food in ours; in fact, we keep almost nothing in it, but they will eat anything. For example, I had a new small sponge in a galley drawer still in the wrapper. They ate through the wrapper and had small pieces of sponge and mice poop strewn all through the drawer. This is a big issue for me because I don't like rodents in my living quarters, so I've declared war on them and will go to poison next, if need be. So good luck is all I can say.

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #23
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I have successfully used the stainless pot scrubbers in various places to keep the squirrels, chipmunks, and mice out. They don't rust out like the steel wool pads.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Sorry to say electronic repellents do not work, nor do dryer sheets. Found that out this spring after paying $550 in wiring repairs and $120 interior of my truck shampooing. Besides, we had a recent chain discussing same about a month ago. I think the biggest deterrent is where you park it. jon
Old 04-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Brass wool or Aluminum wool is better, as it does not rust. Harder to find though, need a good hardware store.
Yep, bronze wool is the way to go:
Bronze Wool - Paint Strippers - Amazon.com
Old 04-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
I have successfully used the stainless pot scrubbers in various places to keep the squirrels, chipmunks, and mice out. They don't rust out like the steel wool pads.
Ditto

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
We had a mouse problem despite sealing everything then discovered they climbed the safety chains and entered through the open box channels forming the tongue. There must be openings in the frame leading into the pan under the floor. Lifted the chains and stuffed the open ends with bronze pot scrubbers
Old 04-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
We had a mouse problem despite sealing everything then discovered they climbed the safety chains and entered through the open box channels forming the tongue. There must be openings in the frame leading into the pan under the floor. Lifted the chains and stuffed the open ends with bronze pot scrubbers
That is a common and often overlooked entry point. I used Stainless pot scrubbers.