Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #121
2 Rivet Member

Montville , New Jersey
[QUOTE=StreamNTyme;2025152]I think the question should be why haven't you got an
Airstream yet? We were no where near retirement, in fact it was not even an consideration when we purchased our first Airstream.

To answer your question.. "Why haven't you got an Airstream Yet":

I read an earlier reply in this thread, which said something along the lines of you need both Money and Time. My circumstances are I have zero debt, house paid, cars paid, retirement planning in good shape, etc. BUT, I am not sure if I have the time! I work full time, as does my wife, we have weekends off and get about 5 weeks vacation time. We typically spend 2 weeks in Europe then usually 2 other vacations traveling somewhere in the world. My thought was, spend vacation time now traveling the world, then get as AS later and explore more of the US. But as I mentioned in my first post, I have been "bitten" by the Airstream bug and can't get them off my mind!

Also, when I make a purchase, I like to go "all in", that's just me! I prefer the higher end AS's, e.g. the 30 Classic and also like the F250 Platinum. Then I start thinking about storage and winterizing (I guess not too tricky) and think if all this will become a burden, i.e. getting it out of storage, prepping for a trip, etc...then, where do I go? (trying to learn).

Some of the suggestions in this thread point to getting a smaller AS to start. But it seems to get a "nicely appointed" AS (in my eyes and not judging anyone else) then you have to get a larger model! It would be nice to see AS put some of the high end features on the smaller rigs. So with the smaller AS proposition, I could store it at home and just use my regular winter truck as a TV.

Just my thoughts, don't judge me, I won't judge you :-) I really appreciate all the stories here. Makes a fun read.
Flat 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #122
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Lakeland , Florida
[QUOTE=Flat 6;2025490]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
I think the question should be why haven't you got an
Airstream yet? We were no where near retirement, in fact it was not even an consideration when we purchased our first Airstream.

To answer your question.. "Why haven't you got an Airstream Yet":

I read an earlier reply in this thread, which said something along the lines of you need both Money and Time. My circumstances are I have zero debt, house paid, cars paid, retirement planning in good shape, etc. BUT, I am not sure if I have the time! I work full time, as does my wife, we have weekends off and get about 5 weeks vacation time. We typically spend 2 weeks in Europe then usually 2 other vacations traveling somewhere in the world. My thought was, spend vacation time now traveling the world, then get as AS later and explore more of the US. But as I mentioned in my first post, I have been "bitten" by the Airstream bug and can't get them off my mind!

Also, when I make a purchase, I like to go "all in", that's just me! I prefer the higher end AS's, e.g. the 30 Classic and also like the F250 Platinum. Then I start thinking about storage and winterizing (I guess not too tricky) and think if all this will become a burden, i.e. getting it out of storage, prepping for a trip, etc...then, where do I go? (trying to learn).

Some of the suggestions in this thread point to getting a smaller AS to start. But it seems to get a "nicely appointed" AS (in my eyes and not judging anyone else) then you have to get a larger model! It would be nice to see AS put some of the high end features on the smaller rigs. So with the smaller AS proposition, I could store it at home and just use my regular winter truck as a TV.

Just my thoughts, don't judge me, I won't judge you :-) I really appreciate all the stories here. Makes a fun read.
Having read this post, I’m going with different advice, based on my own experience.

We bought our AS recently and will probably retire in two years or so and travel around North America, in a series of 6 month adventures.

When we were younger, we were in similar financial and vacation circumstances as you are now.

We travelled outside the States extensively, owned big sailboats for weekends and skied with the kids at lots of resorts.

I’m glad I did all that with the kids when I had tons of energy. I still do, but the facts are, we slow down as we age. Oh yeah, the wife and I did extensive motorcycle touring, too.

Get all that stuff done while the cash flow is great and you are young and healthy.

Airstreaming is something you can easily do when you are older.
BCC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:16 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
You appear to feel you must have the biggest with the most stuff in it with the biggest truck to pull it.
Well, we are on our 4th Airstream, yes 4th. We actually started out with a 29,, then a 30, then a 28, and now a 25,. So i have a few points...don't go at this with the misconception that you will have it forever. You may think so when you purchase the first Airstream. However, life changes, interests change, ideas of what is necessary and what is not change. If you ask several people you will find that many have had more than one Airstream in their towing years. So consider it as a step to see if you like Airstreaming and give yourself the freedom to take it a little at a time.
Now we have never purchased a new Airstream, we do not see any reason to.
There are a great many beautiful rigs out there with all kinds of price tags, I know you can find one to suit your needs. If you are using it for weekend and a few weeks a year, you need less than if you will be spending extended long trips. Even then bigger is not necessary and the more stuff it has the more stuff that may have problems. We have friends who has lived in his 25' for over 8 years, and enjoy it. Other friends in a 25' that travel extensively and are very comfortable in their 25. You mentioned you could then have it in your driveway which would be great for short weekends.
When we first started and were only able to go weekends we really looked forward to Friday and always returned home more relaxed and ready to start the busy week.
Get something to enjoy now and not worry about years down the road. We also spent lots of time in Europe but the easiness of Streaming has made our lives less stressful and you will meet lots of wonderful people. Good luck and safe travels...
Old 10-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #124
Fulltimer Oldtimer

2015 30' International
Marietta , Ohio
I must agree with StreamNTyme, he made excellent points. If you travel with it our west, etc most folks tend to get smaller not larger 25' vs 30' for instance. We bought a model year old 30' International (still new though) because we were going to live in it for 15 mos then keep it stationary in FL as a "second home" until retirement. We tend to keep vehicles for 10+ years and thought we'd do the same with the AS. And not having good luck with used vehicles we went this route. I still look forward to traveling the country and when we do who knows, we might go small. I know it helps getting into Natl Parks.

MarcusMark

2015 International Sig
2015 Ford F-350 PowerStroke 6.7L
marcusmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #125
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
When people go looking for travel trailers

Yep... I found that a lot of people come up and ask about the trailer... when we go places... the first question is... is that a airstream... yep thats what it says on the front and back... Then they say.. are you with that travel group... I assume they are talking about the wally bombers... Then you get the... I want to join that group and get a trailer when I retire... really

I found that two selling points for owning airstreams came out of most of the contacts that I have had...

Now not to start a flame fire.. but I have had airstreams, box trailers and motorhomes... I like the airstream because its easy to work on... as we are in the aviation industry and engineer... but...

I think a lot of people are lured into the airstream thinking... because of two reasions...

They think that owning one is the best trailer that they can buy...
after all they are expensive...
and...
They think by owning one they join the elites of the camping world... and are up the social ladder...
Then they get on the road or retirement.. and find that their are other things that play into the camping game... such as MONEY... and health...
and of course they run into the homeless... we won't go their... and others... and wonder why they associate with 'em... camping... etc...

Then they get miffed about having to share... with the lowlifes... as one said... and of course the other half think their trailers are better than airstreams... and much cheaper too... as one I overheard in a debate... said... I paid less and in 5 years can buy another one... with what you paid for yours...

thing is .. he was right... he pointed to seveal issues with airstreams vs the box box...
insulation... he said his was a 4 season RV... he is right.. airstream now says that theirs is only a 3 season travel trailer... and lacks enough insulation to be somewhat effecent when heating 'em...

Travel trailer vs. full time.... Here he said his was able to do full time.. by the manufactures statement... airstream now says that theirs is a 'travel trailer' and makes no mention of full timing in one anymore... they only show camping on the go... interesting that Airstream doesn't read others sales promos.. and adjust theirs...

.... and he went on through about 5 or 6 other compair's one being storage space...... that he seemed to be on top of...

I asked him if he had owned a a/s.. and he said he owned 3 of them but several years ago with the wally bombers changed... and told him that his a/s was too old to get into the camp ground... he elected to look elsewhere... and put his money on a box motorhome... later he got the toyhauler trailer he currently has... and has owned a couple of them too...

So I am wondering how many people read the blog.. thinking and dreaming that they are getting the best of the best only because they have the A/S idea a a figment of their imanag'n...

But.. when you compair' apples to apples... just how good does the new airstreams rate ?

I think that you can't go with the factory... as we know their engineering is not the best from past track records... and reports from the field users...
but,... it would be interesting to see how the A/S do compare to the new box trailers... and not be biased as to choice... however, you know that will never happen as the looser would close up shop...due to lack of sales... instead of using the info to improve and come up with something better...for a reasonable price...

GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:03 PM   #126
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Pedricktown , New Jersey
Not a status symbol for me, always thought they were the coolest looking trailers. When I was a kid we were trailer people in the days before multiple slides etc, and 4 of us managed to have fun in 18, 20 and 25'. Now I get to own something I always thought was the best looking thing on the road, and my 28 footer tows incredibly.
JDTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I'm on the other side with this. I don't think I will do much traveling with the Airstream when I retire. Its a lot of work.

Every 2 years we take a 4 week trip across the US, the entire family. We have small kids. The we take a number of other trips, a week long or so. We are doing some 10 day trips to the south as well during their spring break. The goal is to send my kids to college as well traveled, having seen all 50 states.

Its a ton of work and expense.

I will be done with it when I retire. We have a house we are building in Vermont and a house here in MA. That will be where we spend most of our time. Of course we will continue the adventures, but not month long excursions across the US. More like fly to the Grand Canyon, hike a rim to rim, then fly home. Or maybe hunting camp in MT for a week, I don't know. I just want someone to cook for me.

Do it now. You might really like it and be glad you did. If you wait, you'll may regret not doing it sooner. My trailer is paid for. I will never upgrade or trade it in. Glad I got that behind me as well.

All of the above comes from my experiences, don't over think it, just do it. You will learn things about yourself and what you enjoy you wouldn't learn otherwise.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote