Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #61
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One of the interesting numbers people play with is "years to retirement". One might say "I'm 10 to 20 years to retirement", that's rarely what you hear. You *could* retire at age 62 or at age 70 based on Social Security. I have several friends who retired (un-expectedly) in their 50's. This is not a recent thing. I was certainly true in my father's generation as well. In our case the event happened about a year or two ahead of my "optimum plan" number. At this point I'd say ....*why* did I wait ? .....

Obviously finances count in a very big way as part of that. Even there, there is no one magic number. Unless you have a *very* unusual job, your savings / benefits from over the last thirty or forty years are a much bigger chunk than what you will make or stash away in a year or three. If savings / pension are a "what's that?" sort of thing, don't even think about an Airstream (Yes, there might be that 7.8 million dollar home you paid off last year ... ).

There's lots of things in life you can't predict ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
of course the answer is "yes" it is possible for not only you but pretty much anyone to get an Airstream now. It seems like you are answering your own question in terms of having a plan in place for the next few years that may not include an RV.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
I planned on waiting till retirement, but the right unit appeared close to town and I was in love. So, I learned tons in the two plus years of ownership until I retired last year. I could not imagine going out west for 5 weeks (like we did last summer) without the two year of learning curve of Truck, Hitch, Airstream maintenance etc. Learned tons on this forum.
Wife is still working with summers off and our kids are still young. So, it's the perfect storm for us. We have the time to travel and are taking full advantage of it. So far we have been to 26 states and just getting warmed up.:
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Kennesaw , Georgia
My work seemed to consume all of my time, so buying was not a practical option before retirement. Retired at 66 and bought a new AS at age 67. Our thinking was that We were starting the learning curve at a late age. I figured we would have less to worry about if the trailer were new. Bought a used TV and was not worried about maintenance or learning curve with a deisel truck. It is now almost 2 years into our adventure. Our rationale has been right for us. I don't envision trading our AS for anything else. This was one of the reasons we bought new - time wasn't neccessarily on our side. We approached this as a 5 year journey. I knew that in 5 years I would have seen the sites that were "must visits". 2 years later, I see us continuing in our AS for many more years than we originally anticipated. Best advice I can give is to think your situation through. Consider amt. of free time, where you will travel, costs and have a plan B. When we start slowing down We will probably spend more time at places that we liked. Right now, we're busy exploring. Camping reminds me every day how fortunate we are to have choices!
dugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Back to the original post:
If you liked the Classic 30, get the Classic 30.
I first looked at a Classic 30 in 2006 at Colonial Airstream in Lakewood, NJ.
It was the best floor plan/layout and I liked the hickory wood.
In 2012 I bought a Classic 30.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #66
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Well ya see it's like this....

I decided to get it done, could retire in under 2 yrs but likely will work longer to set up retirement better. None of us are getting any younger right?

I figure I can go practice retirement (someone else's genius expression here I'm stealing) on weekends and holidays, learn the ropes and get really familiar with the ins and outs...before I am officially throwing in the towel and wrap up my career.

Also lets me pay it off or close enough to not matter before they kick me out the door...I also decided to live in it and and downsize my life...yeah I'm one of those but I don't collect possessions really so it makes me happy...

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

Montville , New Jersey
Wow, what a lot of amazing insightful replies. Massive Thanks!

1 day after posting and as expected, you guys did not disappoint! I really appreciate the detailed responses. Thank you.

After reading through, I would estimate >95% of you are recommending to - Just do it! But important to be fiscally responsible, of course.

I agree, life is too short. Who decided this 5 day (or greater) work week anyway! The good thing is my wife and I get 5+ weeks vacation, so some opportunities to do a couple of 1 week trips, long weekends, but also continue traveling other places in the world.

So my ideal plan, taking in the new advise, will be to consider a used smaller AS to get the "feel of camping" while we are still working and fit and healthy. I currently have a winter truck that is really on it's last legs. I said to my wife, when I replace it, I will consider getting something that can also be used as a TV. Prefer the F150 size as a daily-driver, so that would work with a smaller AS (from what I read in the TV section - wow that place is insane ;-)

Then...down the road (pun intended), if all goes well and we enjoy it, about 2-3 years before retirement, plan to buy a larger Classic 30 and an F250. Sorted, all paid off before retirement.

We are empty nesters and need to downsize too, so we will try to factor a parking spot for the AS. I really like that some of you are able to keep your AS hooked-up right by your house. Someone mentioned the fridge never dies and the AS is a great place to grab a cold one :-) Actually it would be fun to just spend some nights in the AS, right at home.

Love this country, looking forward to seeing more of it. As I mentioned, we moved from the UK about 16 years ago and are now proud to be American Citizens :-)

Thanks again, I will keep on reading.

Oh, hi to all the Porsche owners. See you on Rennlist.
Flat 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:36 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat 6 View Post
I really like that some of you are able to keep your AS hooked-up right by your house. Someone mentioned the fridge never dies and the AS is a great place to grab a cold one :-) Actually it would be fun to just spend some nights in the AS, right at home.

Flat 6 ~ Funny you mention this! That's exactly what we do! I kid around with people and tell them if I can't find my wife, I know exactly where she's at...even at 2 in the morning![emoji12] Cheers!

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
Actually, if the Germans built them, they'd be brilliant...until just off warranty when the electronics would take a dump and fluid pumps would go south. I kid...but just barely. I've owned German cars for years - currently own two BMWs (one an M car and one on Warranty!) as well as two air cooled 914-6 conversions. For commuting I drive a Honda - it does everything well and cheap to own.

Don't wait. Takes a few years to learn the AS ropes and you'll enjoy it every time you head out. If finances are not an obstacle and you know you'll use it enough, go for it. About the only reason not too is if it will sit for too long or if you'll delay other things like paying down mortgages or not funding your retirement sufficiently.

Haha that's why you buy the Poorsha CPO!
70CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:45 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Lakeland , Florida
I have lived my life with the attitude that I have 10 good years left. Now that I am of an age (63) that it's likely true, I don't regret any of the decisions I've made along the way.

Health, family, work. In that order.

As I said earlier, soon enough we'll all be dead.

Do I have the many millions in the bank a frugal lifestyle would have provided? Nope. But we do have a lifetime of great adventures that would be tough to replicate. And I certainly couldn't do them all in the 10 good years I've got left.
BCC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat 6 View Post
Oh, hi to all the Porsche owners. See you on Rennlist.
Sounds like you have a plan!

Yeah, I've been on Rennlist for many years...I'm Mike in CA over there....but I'm spending all my forum time over here now learning yet another hobby.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Recommend buying a used trailer now & enjoy while you can. That will let you know if you like camping before spending excess cash on a newer model. We bought our 1990 34 ft. for $12K & put $4K into it over 2 years as we were using it. One of my husband's best purchases!!

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
I retired in 2005 and we have been traveling full time for the past 10 years. Our home is a 29' 1976 International with a rear bath. Given we are living in our AS the 29' works out very well for us. We actually tow it into areas that are off road and it has taken the abuse. It has never failed us or left us stranded.

It will take two years to get organized, make arrangements for your stix & brix, how you will get mail while you are on the road, decide on what size of trailer you want, spend the time to "make it yours" while it is sitting next to the house, etc.

We were looking at all kinds of RVs and just happened across a 1976. It was listed for $5000. We decided to see what it would be like to refurbish a relatively good AS. After 4 months of making it ours we headed out of town and have not gone back.

Read the reviews and posts on airforums. The prevailing opinions are clear that the quality of Airstream has decreased over the years. The new AS are expensive just because some folks will pay for them. Since Thor took over, the materials and construction used to build a new AS is inexplicitly poor. I have not seen the spread sheets the profits must be huge. It looks like the AS built between 1975 to 1980 seem to retain the engineering and materials that have allowed several generations to hand down their family AS.

Given the above it would be good to check several local and several national web sites that advertise used Airstreams. It was not until 1975 that AS put in a gray water tank. You may want to upgrade the electrical, gas and water systems but the only working parts you may have to add to your used trailer are axles. With a little skill, a friend or two and some basic tools you can install a new set of axles at home.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #74
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is no single answer to any of this. If you are buying a trailer with a plan to trade later, I would go used on the first trailer. I would always get the trailer first and the TV second. You *do* want the tow setup with the trailer packages. That either means buying new (to get all the "right" options) or spending some time shopping used. The whole daily driver / tow discussion is very much part of this.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #75
Fulltimer Oldtimer

2015 30' International
Marietta , Ohio
We bought AS before retiring!

Hi Flat 6 and welcome. My wife and I sold our home and bought a new 2015 Intnl Signature 30' in 2016 although we weren't retired. We lived in it 15 mos while we worked full-time (which we still do). Now we have an apartment in OH where we work and found a very affordable spot in Melbourne, FL for our Airstream. It is an "Airstream only" park and is a wonderful place. So we go there to visit our AS from time to time, at will. I was not able to pay cash so I look at it as "paying in advance" for a vacay home while enjoying it 6 weeks a year, until we retire - we are closing in on age 63 right now.

Mark

2015 International Sig
2015 Ford F-350 PowerStroke 6.7L
marcusmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

Montville , New Jersey
Hi Mark
That sounds like a good plan. Mentioned to my wife last night that we should sell our large "family" home. To be honest, we thought the "family" home would be a magnet for everyone, but with job moves, the "kids" ended up all over the place, including other countries! So we thought about selling it and buying a smaller place. Then buying an AS at some point, but was not sure how that would work out if not retired! I like your idea, keeping it somewhere out of the freeze zone and using it like a holiday home.

I am really enjoying reading all the different stories and learning from others. It gives me lots of ideas. Of course everyone's situation and ideal is different.

The international Signature 30 is a very sophisticated beast. Modern and cocktail hour all day and night [emoji23]. Enjoy and thanks for sharing your story [emoji108]
Flat 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:48 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We sold our larger family home 4 years ago after seeing the emotional toll it took on my in-laws to leave their large home after nearly 40 years. Our kids were in/just out of college at the time.

We got a place that was less costly that includes lawn care and leaves and snow removal in the monthly HOAs. So we now have no "chores" on the weekends. This makes it easy to be out camping without having to arrange care or catch up during the work week.

When we moved we mindfully got rid of anything that didn't have a place in the new house. This eliminated a lot of clutter and housework also. Our new place is more casual than our former, which helps with this.

It's also a lot less work day-to-day living in a simpler place. One of us has a longer commute, that has been the only downside. But very much worth it overall.

It also let us get into a home layout suited for aging in place that we can live here as long as we are able to live independently. (no one likes to think about this, but if you buy a new place it is worth considering.)

We also feel like we "beat the curve" on this type of move, as homes in our area have gone up considerably since we moved. There is a lot of demand for homes with less maintenance.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:36 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I disagree with buying the TV second, especially if you know which trailer you plan to buy. Based on the trailer, you buy the right TV with extra capability for good measure and peace of mind. Plus I need the time to get comfortable with the TV before I tow anything i.e. I purchased a Lariat F-150 Supercrew with all the bells and whistles. This is the first truck I've ever owned/driven. Within 2 days of getting it, I scraped the rim on the right rear wheel well against a parking garage post. $340 in damage. Live and learn, now I know about driving deeper into a turn before turning the wheel. Everyday that I drive it, it feels 'less large' and more normal, if that makes any sense.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #79
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Given we’re home alone now, we’ve added to our “to do list” the idea of selling our larger home and then buying a place with less house and more driveway with no HOA so we can park / store our travel trailer on the property, and hopefully put a roof over it.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
1,144 sq. ft. sticks and bricks-
Keep Trailer at home.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote