Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #1

waterloo , Ontario
Investigating: why an Airstream?

First I'm new to this forum, so I'm not even sure if I'm posting this to the right spot...

My wife and I are starting to think about retirement and RV'ing was always something that appealed to me. We have no experience with RV'ing and camping for that matter and are looking to tap into those that are doing it.

My first question is why an Airstream Trailer. We get the iconic look but beyond that what are the pro's and con's?
idthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Most people prefer motorhomes and fifth wheel trailers for the extra living and storage space. Some see this as value, bang for the buck.

Airtreamers like the iconic look a lot, it never goes out of style like the others and is always worth fixing when it breaks and refurbishing when it gets worn out. They also have the most aerodynamic, most stable towing travel trailer you can get.

There is a sense of pride when folks knock on your door to tell you grandpa had one of these, they have always liked them, and could they look inside. They still make them???

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Investigating

For me an Airstream is ideal.

I don't like to haul around a bunch of junk, so the lack of storage in my trailer is a plus to me.

My Airstream is an old one. At forty two years old, when compared to what other brands have survived from the same era, an advantage of an Airstream in this regard is self evident.

Are they perfect? No, they have their issues, but they are solid, and they feel solid.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Airstreams are solidly built-- you might inquire about the construction methods of some of the other brands. Nails and plywood covered with siding? When cared for, an Airstream will be on the road easily 40 years after its manufacture date. If you like the feeling of quality, some of the other brands (known as SOBs) feel like they have cheap doors and window frames. Airstreams are also very aerodynamic. You can imagine the drag on some of the white-box SOBs going down the highways. If you want to sell an AS, it will normally hold its value much more than a comparable SOB.

We are kind of in the "small is beautiful" club, which not all Airstreamers are. But honestly, even a 31-foot AS has a sense of taste that a giant Mo-ho or 5th wheel with its massive bulkhead sleeping area and slide-outs can't match. We prefer to go camping in places with gorgeous scenery, vs. simply having a pre-fab summer home on wheels, crowded into a RV park with others of their ilk.

We had done a lot of tent-camping, but had zero RV experience before buying the Bambi. The learning curve was nearly vertical. Fortunately RVers are generally a friendly, helpful bunch, so we could usually find someone to help us out in a real pinch. If you are mechanically handy, and are comfortable backing up a boat or utility trailer, you're one up on us.

For a lot of us, finding the right AS is love at first sight. Maybe that's not a rational decision, but it might just be the right one.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Why an Airstream? Because if you want a travel trailer, it is the best there is. Airstreams are quite expensive, but there is virtually nothing between an Airstream and low quality travel trailers.

Are Aistreams perfect? No, the have their problems.

We had our first Airstream for nine years. When we decided that we wanted a new travel trailer, we bought another Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Because even with their quirks and the regular maintenance they require... they LAST and LAST!
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:32 AM   #7

waterloo , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
For me an Airstream is ideal.

I don't like to haul around a bunch of junk, so the lack of storage in my trailer is a plus to me.

My Airstream is an old one. At forty two years old, when compared to what other brands have survived from the same era, an advantage of an Airstream in this regard is self evident.

Are they perfect? No, they have their issues, but they are solid, and they feel solid.
Wow 42 years old that is amazing!

What would you say the issues are...I've read that the seams can leak.
idthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Go to airstream.com, at the top under community, in live riveted (the first one) you will find a video about performance and handling. This is the video that made up my mind to get an Airstream and it is the best trailer I have ever towed.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
All trailers and all RV's of any brand can leak and will leak.

I tend to think of Airstreams as a bit of a lifestyle. And the community is a part of it. I think many would agree, owning an Airstream makes you an automatic member of a community.

If you've ever been apart of a car club, it's almost like that. Corvette guys all over the nation share a passion and can hang out and talk shop and attend big rallies or small cruise in's. Owning a Airstream is a lot like that.

I can really jump off the other commentors post about taking pride in the ownership. I think that's true. We have friends with trailers. That's it, they have a travel trailer. They go on trips.

The other PRO for me is design. I love my grandmother, but I don't want to live in her living room, and every other RV/Trailer on the road today seems clobbered full of wood grains, horrible floral print and generally the ascetics of the early 1990's.

I enjoy the modern design of our International Signature. It matches our tastes, and our minimalist lifestyle.

Plus, most are still on the road today. It's true some need repairs, that's common with anything old. But like cars, there are some you still see driving around, and others than came and went.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
We had a few leaks with ours initially, but they were repaired with better caulking. Any kind of RV is subject to Murphy's Law, but because we bought ours through a RV dealer, and since most of the stuff that went wrong happened in the first year, it was still under their warranty. They fixed the problems, and we didn't have to pay extra for them.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I had to do a lot of work on the rear floor of my 72, but I didn't HAVE to do anything with the rear floor of my 75.

It will vary from trailer to trailer!!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
It's sorta like motorcycling... "If I HAVE to explain, you will never understand!"

But, let me try.

If you are willing to "care" for things, buy an AS. If you can afford new, good for you! With proper care, you can sign it over to your Grandkids...and they may sign over to their kids without rebuilding.

You aren't likely to get that longevity out of an SOB. my neighbors brother came to visit with a 8 year old SOB and it has de laminating wall panels and a host of other "near Unrepairable" issues.

If you are someone who likes to rent vs own, get an SOB or trade In your new AS yearly. =}
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Anything man made can have issues. The question is can they be repaired. The aluminum construction of the Airstream has stood the test of time. The wood floors may get wet from leaks and rot, but they can be fixed. The frame can rust and be repaired. And the aluminum body is often hoisted up and a new frame and floor is slid under it and suddenly it is a new trailer again.

Where I have my service and upgrades done, there is a 1954 Airstream undergoing restoration. It has been polished to a mirror finish. The insides have been refurbished with new appliances and lighting. In all effects, it is a new unit but with an old VIN number and date of manufacture. The taxes are low as it is 60 years old on paper, but looks better than some of the new ones coming off the line today at Jackson Center.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
AS are solidly built ...check the number still functioning as TT compared to the other brands. However, quality control varies as much as the weather!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
My advice would be to go to one of the big RV shows where you can see many different types of RVs. This will allow you to start thinking about YOUR needs. Once you have decided on the type of RV (travel trailer, 5th wheel, class A, class B or class C) that is best for you, then you can compare the products of the various manufacturers for layout, quality, etc.

There are plenty of options and people are enjoying travel in all types of RVs. Only you know what is right for you.
ASinmyFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We are still considered newbies as this is first Airstream purchase. As former tent campers, camping with an Airstream is quite luxurious for camping. We have given our purchase several years consideration. After tons of research visited Colonial Airstream located approx. 2.5 hrs. Drive one way. First visit we looked at many styles both new & gently used. We initially thought a 16'Bambi would work but after spending plenty of time. On their lot, we went away with our selection between 20-23' FB floorplan,then pondered the details for a few months while we shopped for certified pre-owned VW Touareg Sport with factory installed tow pkg.
We could not be happier with our purchase, thus far, we have camped 19 nights in three different state campgrounds. Suggest as many forum members already suggested, take your time & then you will be happier with your choice. Good luck &!welcome to the forum!
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #17
cramar

1992 25' Excella
Leamington , Ontario
Go to Can-Am

You didn't mention whether you are considering new or used. I see you are from Waterloo! Take the <1.5 hr. drive down to Can-Am in west London and plan to spend at least half the day there. Look at all the new sizes, which will help you evaluate what is best for your needs. They sell other brands too, so you can compare. You might be able to drive one of their demo car-AS units to see how they drive. They have some used units you can look at. If you are not "handy" I would not consider a used one, since they require a lot of work. We bought used at a fraction of the cost of new, but are spending hundreds of hours bringing it into the 21st-century. Some of us just have to have an iconic home on wheels to live in.
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We are newbies, as well. For us, an impending trip to Canada was our impetus to buy some RV. We had looked at RVs many times over the years but just couldn't pull the trigger. Newly retired, we decided to look at the AS after realizing we had both always liked the iconic look. We love the streamline design inside. I tell my kids it's like jumping into an IKEA. We were worried about storage at first but had empty cupboards when we set out on our 7 week trip. We were very comfortable on our trip with our two labrador retrievers.

Size and tow ability played a part in our decision as well. We wanted something that would fit and tow easily in the Canadian Rockies and make it all the way to Tofino. We have a Ford F150 Ecoboost and it towed like a dream. Many times it felt like it wasn't behind us. We made it through Vancouver and Calgary traffic easily. Next time we are headed your direction!
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #19
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
We bought our Bambi used in 2007 from Can-Am. They gave us a one-year warranty which proved really invaluable, as a bunch of stuff did go wrong during the first camping trips; yet we didn't have to pay for the repairs. We could have paid for an extended warranty with them, but since we were leaving Ontario, we didn't buy it.

I thought the Can-Am service was excellent. Our salesman was Evan Weaver, who I see is still there. He spent as much time as we needed going over the RV. He and Andy Thompson asked us to spend our first night camping on their lot, and then gave us their phone numbers to call if anything went wrong. (It did-- directly, the furnace blew a fuse.) They both came out late at night and when they couldn't fix it right away, they gave us their shop space heater. Our real maiden voyage was to The Pinery provincial park, and we were also able to phone them when we couldn't get the propane to work. (It just took time, thankfully.) They also spent a lot of time making sure that Len could back up well, put the hitch on and off, &c.

I realize that most people who own RVs are impressively handy with fixing stuff. We are not, and take Bambi to our local service center or an AS dealer if we are on the road and need some work done. This has never prevented us from taking the Bambi all over the place (Ontario to Vancouver, eastern BC to Yuma, AZ, with many national parks along the way,) and having a wonderful time in the process.

We solved our storage problem immediately, by having a truck with a topper (canopy) on the back. We stow all kinds of camping gear in it. Canoe paddles, life jackets, large cooler, extra clothes, trekking poles, hiking boots, portable waste-water tank, you-name-it.

Jeanne
Old 09-24-2014, 02:15 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Astoria , Oregon
Welcome! We are also newbies, just purchase a used 2013 Eddie Bauer 25 last spring. We looked on and off for two years at many different types of trailers, motor homes, as well as toy hauler's. Why Airstream? For me, they felt like home. I love the silver outside as well as inside and the rounded curve just has a rightness about it! . There's just a brightness and warmth attached to these bullets. We took our Carlie for a class reunion weekend at the largest KOA on the west coast (and it was was packed) we had many strangers stop by and state that we had the coolest trailer in the campgrounds. For sure you can feel real pride in ownership. Many folks don't realize that these trailers are new, still being made today. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1411546469.525380.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	821.9 KB
ID:	222750Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1411546501.192998.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	1,015.7 KB
ID:	222751

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
KathyH is offline   Reply With Quote