Old 10-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We have had many pull-type campers, 5th Wheels and Truck Campers over the years. Each new(bigger/better) pone would finally be our last!! After getting frustrated with each one developing problems such as "roof Problems", plumbing leaks, screws falling out, suspension problems, and manufactures going out of business, hence parts not being available. We finally decided we needed to make another change, and the next typical step in the "progression" was to look at an evan larger 5th wheel or class A!!.

We went to many RV Shows and RV Dealers over a two year period looking "under the covers" at things that seemed to plague us in in the past. We even went to a SOB manufacturing plant to watch the build/assembly process.

After walking past Airstreams at RV Shows, and ignoring them for various reasons, then probably because we need to rest out feet at an RV show in Denver, we stopped an sat in an AS that did not have a sales person insight!! As we sat there in the AS, we noticed how bright and open it was with the panoramic windows, and the light interior. Of course the AS sales person finally noticed us and made sure we had plenty of sales material and information. But still did not take it as a serious possibility....

However, it grew on us. After visiting and spending time in MANY MANY Airstreams, we eventually ended up purchasing a new Flying Cloud 25FBT from Colonial Airstream in New Jersey, camped in it on our way back home to Colorado, and have spent hundreds of nights in it. Dry camping in the Rocky Mtns, Desert Camping in New Mexico, state park camping, BLM camping, in RV parks with full hook-ups, in many different states. We have been very happy with our decision. We are not full-timers, just like to pick up and head out for "someplace" and explore. We could not be happier!!

Easy to tow, easy to set up camp, every thing works the way it should, we must be lucky as we have had so few problems, they are not even worth mentioning. Colonial Airstream has been great. Our only advice is to spend lots of time in dealer lots envisioning how it would be to "live" with all the various different floor plans available.

Sorry for the long post, but it is hard to convey our long journey to an Airstream with out rambling on!!

Have Fun.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #30

I'm glad we had a couple of the other brands before buying an Airstream. The learning process with RVs can be tricky and result in damage that would be expensive on an Airstream.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by idthompson View Post
My first question is why an Airstream Trailer.
I posted this answer a while back when someone asked the same question.......

- The smile on your face every time you look in the rearview mirror
- A trailer that takes on the color and hues of the world around it - of the sunset, the beach, the sky and the mountains, wherever you park it.
- Not having to say longingly, "damn I wish I'd bought the Airstream" every time you pass one on the highway.
- Campfire reflecting off the aluminum skin on a chilly night.
- The look, feel and sound of that heavy handcrafted aluminum,door.
- Curved curves
- Equally adept at a romantic mountain weekend as it is a family vacation to Dollywood.
- Pictures of you and your kids camping with the shiny Airstream.
- Watching your kids show their kids those pictures 30 years from now, remembering how cool a time they had camping .
- Art you can live in.
- Glow of the interior aluminum skin as the morning sun streams through the port hole windows.
- A trailer that goes just as well with Merlot and Filet Mignon as with beer n' brats.
- Someone coming up and saying "I didn't know they made those anymore"
- Stopping to look back over your shoulder every time you walk away from the rig.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #32

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Very well put. My sentiments exactly.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:32 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Well, I also have had several Porsches and Porsche states, " There is no substitute". Works for Airstream as well. I returned to an Airstream from a Tiffin Allegro Bus, and in looking at all the other TT I could find, there was simply nothing which even comes close to the Airstream concept. Most have slideouts, are square, taller, and lack the charm and coziness of an Airstream.

Another big plus for me is the WBCCI, a group like no other.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #34

waterloo , Ontario
I think we've landed on AS...but next question is how has your experience been in the parks. RV parks seem to have different level of amenities vs. trailer parks. How you've found that aspect of trailer life?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by idthompson View Post
I think we've landed on AS...but next question is how has your experience been in the parks. RV parks seem to have different level of amenities vs. trailer parks. How you've found that aspect of trailer life?
There are really great parks out there. Of course, you get what you pay for. We research them online carefully. We avoid parks with lots of long-term campers.

We look for parks with views (water, forest, mountain etc) that we can take advantage of the rear living panoramic window. We have had our airstream parked directly on a beach that would have been a $350/night hotel. We get to sleep in our own bed, drink our wine, fresh ground coffee, and use our own albeit small bathroom.

We typically pay $35-$60 dollars and would say that the settings, privacy, views and people we meet are all much like us. I much prefer 90% of the parks we have stayed at over any Marriott, Hilton or other resort/business type hotel we have been to. You may be a short drive from a downtown area or attraction you like but worth it usually.

Then there are state/federal parks which can be a huge bargain with incredible views and privacy if you pick the right ones. They often do not have sewer hookups so you need to manage water usage or dump tanks every few days. For $30 we just stayed directly lakeside in a Georgia State Park, with incredible view, privacy and met some great people. A cabin like that would easily rent for $250.

Heck, a couple of times we have even had to spend the night in Walmart parking lot and I would even rate that experience above Holiday Inn.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
There are so many variations on places to stay it would take a book to answer your question, in fact there are a number of such books out there. In Ontario you have access to Provincial parks with no hook ups to full hook ups most with water and electric (hydro). There are private parks, with full amenities some affiliated with "clubs" like Good Sam. There are chains, like KOA, many of which are wholly owned by individuals and affiliated with KOA for advertising etc. Adn then there are overnight stops like Walmart and Cracker Barrel.

My wife and I have "camped" for over 50 years, I traveled extensively in my career sometimes doing over 200 nights in motels and resorts. To me and to us there is noting quite like an RV. As listed previously we have had every type except 5th wheel. Now back to an AS and we love it. I think if you jump into an AS with the expectation that you are going to have a great time, things are going to go wrong at times you'll be fine and have a great time. Retirement is so good I wish I'd done it 50 years ago.

Safe Travels and good luck in your search

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Investigating: why an Airstream?

My technique for choosing an RV park is to use one of the internet search engines and read reviews. After doing this a few times one learns how to pick a spot. In state or national parks I will sometimes try to get close to the showers so I can use these. The limiting factor IMO as to how long I can go without dumping the gray water tank is in showering. A daily shower in my new Serenity allows my about six or seven days before the gray water is filled. Showering at the park shower I can probably go two weeks.

One word of caution is in where a park is located in a large city. Do some research into the neighborhood to avoid an area of undesirable activity and potentially higher crime. In San Antonio I have stayed in a park about three miles south of downtown and this was a great park but in an area I had concerns about re: surrounding neighborhood. The park near Water World or whatever the name is, LOL, was in a more desirable location, albeit much farther from downtown.

One important reason for me coming back to Airstream from a Moho was to allow admission to state and national parks where in general one has far more "space" around the campsite but also folks who may be more into "camping" than having a home on wheels. At the same time in my Airstream I am as comfortable, sometimes more comfortable, than at home with sleeping in the Airstream being on a fabulously nice bed on a screen porch!

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 10-30-2014, 08:04 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
This list was composed a couple of years ago after trading my 2009 Forest River Wildwood 28RLSS for my Airstream.
1. The Airstreams windows are tinted. They look nice and provide privacy.
2. The bumper storage on the Airstream is more useful than the square tube bumper on typical trailers.
3. There is no rubber roof membrane on the Airstream. No more climbing up on the roof to clean and treat it.
4. The hitch on the Airstream is a little less finicky than our other trailer. It is easier to latch and unlatch from the ball.
5. The hooks on the safety chains on the Airstream are a little bigger and easier to hook into the holes in the truck bumper.
6. Reasons to love an Airstream
7. The Airstream propane bottles are larger and shiny. They also are wired into the control center so you know how much gas you have.
8. The cover over the propane bottles is much nicer than the white plastic cover on our previous trailer.
9. The panoramic windows allow me to sit anywhere in the Airstream and see out all 4 sides. The windows also provide more places for my cat to look out.
10. The LED clearance and marker lights are much nicer and prettier than the plastic ones on our other trailer. The retro style of the lights is cool.
11. The aluminum skin is prettier than a typical square trailer. The shape is an American icon. It is partly because of that shape that the Airstream tows much better and the truck gets better mileage.
12. The door latches, hinges, and locks on the Airstream are of a much higher quality than other trailers. They are more substantial, heavier, have a nicer feel to them. The lock cylinders turn easier. The keys go in easier.
13. The refrigerator vents, furnace vent, water heater cover, and range hood vent are silver instead of white plastic.
14. The Airstream has no white plastic that turns yellow in a few years.
15. The Airstream doesn’t have the plastic spare tire cover that rots in a few years. The spare tire is not even mounted on the bumper.
16. The latches and locks on the outside storage compartments on the Airstream are of a much The awnings are of a much higher quality and are prettier. higher quality and have a nicer, more substantial feel to them.
17. The awnings are of a much higher quality and are prettier.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Investigating: why an Airstream?

Another reason.... The morning after a blizzard in Wyoming on I-80, Laramie.

http://flic.kr/p/pmEV2w

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 10-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Ms Tommie,
Once upon a time when I was working in downtown Greensboro, I saw a street vendor- A Sistah Sellin' Socks- really, that was her sign-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

APPLETON , Wisconsin
Very informative post... thanks for sharing all these replies!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:23 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
They really had me at the iconic shape and the longest running RV brand. Love that retro, art deco, aircraft style. Pure Americana. Truly an American icon. It represents what this great country was about when it was a greater country-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955