Old 09-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
My advice would be to go to one of the big RV shows where you can see many different types of RVs. This will allow you to start thinking about YOUR needs. Once you have decided on the type of RV (travel trailer, 5th wheel, class A, class B or class C) that is best for you, then you can compare the products of the various manufacturers for layout, quality, etc.

There are plenty of options and people are enjoying travel in all types of RVs. Only you know what is right for you.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We are still considered newbies as this is first Airstream purchase. As former tent campers, camping with an Airstream is quite luxurious for camping. We have given our purchase several years consideration. After tons of research visited Colonial Airstream located approx. 2.5 hrs. Drive one way. First visit we looked at many styles both new & gently used. We initially thought a 16'Bambi would work but after spending plenty of time. On their lot, we went away with our selection between 20-23' FB floorplan,then pondered the details for a few months while we shopped for certified pre-owned VW Touareg Sport with factory installed tow pkg.
We could not be happier with our purchase, thus far, we have camped 19 nights in three different state campgrounds. Suggest as many forum members already suggested, take your time & then you will be happier with your choice. Good luck &!welcome to the forum!
FCloud9

Old 09-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #17
cramar

1992 25' Excella
Leamington , Ontario
Go to Can-Am

You didn't mention whether you are considering new or used. I see you are from Waterloo! Take the <1.5 hr. drive down to Can-Am in west London and plan to spend at least half the day there. Look at all the new sizes, which will help you evaluate what is best for your needs. They sell other brands too, so you can compare. You might be able to drive one of their demo car-AS units to see how they drive. They have some used units you can look at. If you are not "handy" I would not consider a used one, since they require a lot of work. We bought used at a fraction of the cost of new, but are spending hundreds of hours bringing it into the 21st-century. Some of us just have to have an iconic home on wheels to live in.
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We are newbies, as well. For us, an impending trip to Canada was our impetus to buy some RV. We had looked at RVs many times over the years but just couldn't pull the trigger. Newly retired, we decided to look at the AS after realizing we had both always liked the iconic look. We love the streamline design inside. I tell my kids it's like jumping into an IKEA. We were worried about storage at first but had empty cupboards when we set out on our 7 week trip. We were very comfortable on our trip with our two labrador retrievers.

Size and tow ability played a part in our decision as well. We wanted something that would fit and tow easily in the Canadian Rockies and make it all the way to Tofino. We have a Ford F150 Ecoboost and it towed like a dream. Many times it felt like it wasn't behind us. We made it through Vancouver and Calgary traffic easily. Next time we are headed your direction!
Old 09-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #19
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We bought our Bambi used in 2007 from Can-Am. They gave us a one-year warranty which proved really invaluable, as a bunch of stuff did go wrong during the first camping trips; yet we didn't have to pay for the repairs. We could have paid for an extended warranty with them, but since we were leaving Ontario, we didn't buy it.

I thought the Can-Am service was excellent. Our salesman was Evan Weaver, who I see is still there. He spent as much time as we needed going over the RV. He and Andy Thompson asked us to spend our first night camping on their lot, and then gave us their phone numbers to call if anything went wrong. (It did-- directly, the furnace blew a fuse.) They both came out late at night and when they couldn't fix it right away, they gave us their shop space heater. Our real maiden voyage was to The Pinery provincial park, and we were also able to phone them when we couldn't get the propane to work. (It just took time, thankfully.) They also spent a lot of time making sure that Len could back up well, put the hitch on and off, &c.

I realize that most people who own RVs are impressively handy with fixing stuff. We are not, and take Bambi to our local service center or an AS dealer if we are on the road and need some work done. This has never prevented us from taking the Bambi all over the place (Ontario to Vancouver, eastern BC to Yuma, AZ, with many national parks along the way,) and having a wonderful time in the process.

We solved our storage problem immediately, by having a truck with a topper (canopy) on the back. We stow all kinds of camping gear in it. Canoe paddles, life jackets, large cooler, extra clothes, trekking poles, hiking boots, portable waste-water tank, you-name-it.

Jeanne
Old 09-24-2014, 03:15 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Astoria , Oregon
Welcome! We are also newbies, just purchase a used 2013 Eddie Bauer 25 last spring. We looked on and off for two years at many different types of trailers, motor homes, as well as toy hauler's. Why Airstream? For me, they felt like home. I love the silver outside as well as inside and the rounded curve just has a rightness about it! . There's just a brightness and warmth attached to these bullets. We took our Carlie for a class reunion weekend at the largest KOA on the west coast (and it was was packed) we had many strangers stop by and state that we had the coolest trailer in the campgrounds. For sure you can feel real pride in ownership. Many folks don't realize that these trailers are new, still being made today. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1411546469.525380.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	821.9 KB
ID:	222750Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1411546501.192998.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	1,015.7 KB
ID:	222751

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-24-2014, 03:43 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Make sure you'll have a fair amount of disposable income available for repairs if you plan on keeping a new trailer for more than 2 years. If you buy used you'll want to have that cash available immediately. Many of the previous posters have touched on the maintenance costs of owning an AS trailer. Those costs can be significant - especially if you get a lemon. I classify AS trailers as high-maintenance.

Rotting floors, leaks, axle failures, wheels falling off, stuff breaking off on the inside, etc. all are commonplace. If you are looking for the convenience of an appliance look elsewhere. If you are expecting anything near the reliability of an automobile you'll be disappointed.

Now if you have plenty of cash on hand, are handy, have lots of free time, and like to futz with projects you may find a match made in heaven.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #22
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Or just buy yours at an Airstream dealer, get a good dealership warranty, make friends with your nearest Airstream mechanic, and let him do the repairs.

A backyard swimming pool is defined as "a hole in the ground into which you pour money." An RV might be defined as "a big toy on the road into which you pour money." Same with boats, private planes, and other recreational luxuries.

Much of a muchness.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:36 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Gatos , California

We're just starting to investigate

This forum is a huge help
Thanks to all the contributors

So far 21-25' seems to be the range. We live in Bay Area so no matter which direction we go we have significant mountains to navigate -
And I don't like driving 45 mph

What kind of hauling rig do you recommend?
Engine specs?
Half to or full ton?
Diesel, turbo?
6 or 8 cylinder?

Ford, dodge chevy?

Start a new thread with all these questions?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #24
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm partial to the Cummins diesel so that means Dodge for me. Half / one ton, is a BIG depends. I have a 1T but that's what I got a good deal on when I got it. I was looking for a 3/4T at the time. I feel that 3/4 is ample for any AS that you may choose. Half is good for many so, again, it depends. Diesel / gas, today's gassers are getting better mileage than ever before so you may never recover the extra costs in fuel economy alone BUT the ease of driving and the sale price may help take the pain out of it.
We have a 30' AS. The shorter models do bring a premium price tag over the longer ones so that may help make your decision but I like the 25'ers and, although the extra space is nice there's only 2 of us, so I think a 25' would be a good compromise. In summary I think the 1T is overkill unless you plan to haul an ATV or a Harley in the back or if you need the xtra payload for work. If a 25'er is in your price range I think that would be the best of all. Diesel over gas, again if it's in your price range I think you'll enjoy your travels all the more but again it's your choice.

Hope my opinion is helpful. It'll cost you a beer and a campfire someday.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:00 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We started with my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel. I took it to CanAm in London Ontario from Phoenix to beef up the hitch system and tweak the Hensley stinger tow bar. I returned to Los Angeles to take delivery of a 20133 25FB International Serenity (GVW 7,300 pounds).

My Shureline scale I had reported a tongue weight of 1,150 pounds with the new empty trailer with the Hensley hitch head attached, optional awnings street side and rear and a 155 watt solar panel on the roof. I elected to tow at the California posted 55 mph even through Arizona to Phenix. There was adequate power for the mountain climb out of Palm Springs on I-10 br dropping down to 5th gear from 7th and the rpm was around 2150 at 55 mph.

The CAT scales reported I was okay on axle loads with just me in the car. We loaded the trailer for camping and the wife and I crossed the scales. The car was not happy with the near gross weight trailer behind and the axle ratings were overload on the front with no camping stuff in the back of the car.

We acquired a 2012 2500HD Dodge with Cummins diesel. That was more than enough load capacity and power for the 25FB. We then traded for the 2014 31' Classic (GVW 10,000 pounds) and installed a ProPride Hitch (second generation Jim Hensley designed hitch). W are towing at close to 19,000 pounds with no issues. I converted the trailer to disc brakes and have no stopping issues in the mountains. The truck loaded for camping still weighs more than the trailer loaded for camping.

I suggests lots of reading about folks experiences with their Airstreams. Spend "lots" of time on dealers lots inside these trailers. Sit in them at the table. Where is the television - looking straight ahead or is your head turned? Try sitting crosswise on the dinette couch to see the television and see if that is comfortable. Sit on the toilet and see if you have adequate knee room with the door closed.

The 25 front and rear bedroom models have the queen bed across the frame. External storage access is difficult as it is deep and offset. Try getting around the bed as if making the it. Lie on the bed and sit up and see if you hit your head. Try and access the overhead roof lockers. The Flying Cloud trim line offers a twin bed option for the 25' models (and most of the other larger models) that are in line with the frame with more accessible external storage.

The 27'/28' models and longer have the queen bed in line with the frame.

The International trim lines and the 2015 Classic model(s) do not offer the twin bed option. Our 2014 Classic was ordered with the twin option which offered lots more storage than the queen bed model.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your research.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoniankid View Post
We're just starting to investigate

This forum is a huge help
Thanks to all the contributors

So far 21-25' seems to be the range. We live in Bay Area so no matter which direction we go we have significant mountains to navigate -
And I don't like driving 45 mph

What kind of hauling rig do you recommend?
Engine specs?
Half to or full ton?
Diesel, turbo?
6 or 8 cylinder?

Ford, dodge chevy?

Start a new thread with all these questions?
Seems like you are leaning towards smaller size unit, suggest carefully not only looking at overall trailer size but which floor plan might best suit your lifestyle. Found larger units does not necessarily equal floor plan best to suit your needs. Also, weight of trailer & tongue weight need to be evaluated before deciding on tow vehicle. Since you are looking to acquire both (we were in same situation), figure out which trailer you like best & then research which tow vehicle will best work for you. There is a wealth of good information from forum members here but seems for us it worked out great to choose our favorite Airstream. I have notice many threads where folks have bought trailers which could be towed with their current vehicles....only to learn they were not happy with their trailer for one reason or another. Buying another trailer after limited use seems awfully expensive. However, even though we love our FC 20' FB, find the threads which read "I'll take another two feet please"....very interesting. Guess never say never to owing another model or upgrade.

So, we own an 2014 Flying Cloud 20' FB and love the floor plan...especially the huge galley kitchen and tons of storage everywhere. Tow vehicle is certified pre-owned 2011 VW Touareg Sport with factory installed tow package, Prodigy RF Brake controller and Equalizer Hitch.
VW accessories (I negotiated for )- Monster Mats especially love the cargo mat for camping and VW roof racks for carrying our kayak. VW really tried to sell us on TDI but we decided for our purposes gas fuel economy suited our overall plan. We have only put a little over 1,000 miles towing thus far with average 14-16 MPG.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have tried everything except a 5th wheel, not sure why not but we never did. We have had three ASs and numerous others. We have also had motorhomes.

Motorhomes are traveling condos, that said MY recommendation and it's me, if you go motorhome and want to travel go diesel and go over 360HP. Do not go gas Class A. Not enough power, to light and high when in the wind. Diesel coaches are heavier and much more powerful, BUT you spend lots to get a good one over 360HP.

If you tow and can afford the price I would go AS, have three times. Ease of operation, simple straightforward design, good in the wind and in tough terrain. Solid construction.

I like Ford and like the 6.7 Diesel, did not have much luck with the 6.0.

Good luck and travel safe.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by idthompson View Post
First I'm new to this forum, so I'm not even sure if I'm posting this to the right spot...

My wife and I are starting to think about retirement and RV'ing was always something that appealed to me. We have no experience with RV'ing and camping for that matter and are looking to tap into those that are doing it.

My first question is why an Airstream Trailer. We get the iconic look but beyond that what are the pro's and con's?
Aside from the fabulous product, when you buy an airstream you are joining a culture like none other! It's as much about the airstream as it is about camping! You cannot understand it until you own one. Nothing like it!