Old 03-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Hanover , Pennsylvania
International 25FB Twin?

Hello,

I am new to the forum but learning as fast as my little brain is capable of doing!

I've been getting good information on a lot of things which is appreciated but one thing I'm trying to find out is, "Does AS make a 25FB with twin beds in an International model?"

Thanks again for everyone who takes time to respond to "silly" questions from a newbie.

Bob

Old 03-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Just looked at Airstream's website.
No International 25FB twin floor plans.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Why?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Why?
That's a very good question.

In reading some of the posts someone mentioned Colonial RV in NJ. Since I live in south central PA I thought perhaps it would make sense to go to the source and see how my original question would be answered. I looked them up on the internet and sent an email to the sales department at Colonial. Shown below is the response I got:

"Bob,

Thank you for the email today. Twin beds are available on a Flying Cloud and
Classic Limited in the 25FB, 25A, 28A, 30A and 31A Floor plans. Twin beds
are available on an International Model for a $4,000.00 deviation charge. A
23FB is not available with twin beds on any model.

Thank you,

Patrick Botticelli
Colonial Airstream
1121 Route 88
Lakewood, NJ 08701
New Airstreams for Sale, Used Airstream Trailers for Sale, Airstream Mercedes Sprinter Interstate for Sale, Flying Cloud, Bambi, Classic, Sport
1-800-265-9019"

So I now have an answer which is, "If you have enough money almost anything is possible".

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Macon , Georgia
How could they charge $4000 for this? It is a no charge option on the Classic. It makes no sense. It is a popular option on the FC and Classic.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
On the 25' the bed is side to side instead of front to back on the others. Maybe the have to do more than simply relocate the beds? Not sure but $4000 is a lot. Maybe go for a 27'.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I would consider opting for a 27 because thin the twin bed option becomes available.
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811
Airforums #70955
Old 03-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I don't think airstream offers twin beds in any of the International line.

The $4,000 deviation charge may be because they take the built trailer over the the Service Center for a conversion from queen to twin beds. Or maybe they just want to discourage variations from the product line.

Their marketing department has apparently determined twin beds would not be a popular choice in the International line, which is probably designed for a more youthful market. Note that Eddie Bauer doesn't offer twin beds either.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Oh?
You hafta get a Flying Cloud or Classic to get the twins?
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811
Airforums #70955
Old 03-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I don't think airstream offers twin beds in any of the International line.

The $4,000 deviation charge may be because they take the built trailer over the the Service Center for a conversion from queen to twin beds. Or maybe they just want to discourage variations from the product line.

Their marketing department has apparently determined twin beds would not be a popular choice in the International line, which is probably designed for a more youthful market. Note that Eddie Bauer doesn't offer twin beds either.
Their marketing department doesn't impress me at all.

If they were smart, not only would they (AS) accommodate the potential customer, but AS would set up a showroom containing every floor plan in the fleet. After all, they're somewhat centrally located.

With well over 40 years in the marketing industry, I feel I've earned the right to rant a bit at mothership.

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Hanover , Pennsylvania
I asked the fine folks at Colonial what the difference in the MSRP price would be between an International 25' FB Twin and a FC of the same length and floor plan. With the $4,000 upgrade the difference is a bit more than $12,000.

So for those who are more experienced then I (which is just about everyone) what am I getting for the $12,000 (other than the twins beds which cost $4,000)? I have briefly seen the interior of both and I know the International looks more expensive, maybe more stylish, etc. I guess I'm trying to think of how to justify the difference in price.

The International model must have something going for it or they would not be selling them. What does it have?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
So for those who are more experienced then I (which is just about everyone) what am I getting for the $12,000 (other than the twins beds which cost $4,000)?
You are paying the royalty fee to Christopher C. Deam.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I asked the fine folks at Colonial what the difference in the MSRP price would be between an International 25' FB Twin and a FC of the same length and floor plan. With the $4,000 upgrade the difference is a bit more than $12,000.

So for those who are more experienced then I (which is just about everyone) what am I getting for the $12,000 (other than the twins beds which cost $4,000)? I have briefly seen the interior of both and I know the International looks more expensive, maybe more stylish, etc. I guess I'm trying to think of how to justify the difference in price.

The International model must have something going for it or they would not be selling them. What does it have?

Thanks!
First - why the $4000 upgrade fee? Frankly it sounds high to me - especially when it's a no cost choice for the Flying Cloud and the Classic. I've had 3 Airstreams in the past 9 years. The first was a 22 CCD, the second was a Safari (now Flying cloud) and the current one is an Eddie Bauer.... In case you think I'm just made of money - not so, had a wreck and totaled the Safari. Got a FANTASTIC deal on a gently used EB from Colonial.

The build quality of the Safari seemed a lot less sturdy than the CCD International. Most of that was in how the cabinetry was joined and in how many screws loosened up. I did a lot of minor fixes... and in the end they were about even. I put strong magnets inside drawers to keep them closed while underway, used toothpicks and glue to re-seat dozens of screws, and dealt with long closet doors showing warping (seasonal in VA's humid summer). When I look at the new Eddie Bauer I realize it's almost a hybrid between the International and the Flying Cloud. The overhead cabinets are international, as are the sinks, but the closets, bedframe, etc are Flying Cloud laminate. The build quality... seems to be somewhere between the older two.

The laminates used in the International line are a bit more expensive than the Safari... and this year you've got the Serenity (off white) standard International (dark walnut) and the Sterling (aluminum look). Classics come in ONE solid wood, Flying Clouds, ONE laminate. The factory buys the wood pre-laminated, so I'd guess that with the smaller quantities of each, they're a bit more expensive. So going with multiple bed layouts MIGHT be more expensive... but $4K. NOPE. It's just not justified. I'd be shocked if I couldn't get the work done after market for half that. (They might say they have to use Classic mattresses which are loads better than the Flying Cloud, and somewhat better than the international ones but again difference in price? $600? Maybe, but that's generous.

$12K for "style" when the Flying Cloud has gotten more stylish as time goes by? Frankly, style DOES have an intrinsic value to most of us... but $12 K? I really LIKE the International style overhead cabinets better than the Safari ones - both because of the sliders and the inside lighting, and that you get one big cabinet instead of two smaller ones.

I do think if you have good taste you can upgrade the look of the Flying Cloud - drapes, fabric, rugs, lights, etc.... to be very equivalent to the International - and you could even hire a decorator to help if you're less talented (moi).

The devil just made me think - wonder what they'd charge to do a Flying Cloud Twin with upgraded International overhead cupboards? Wanna Bet $4K?

Paula
that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There's no getting around it, they make what they make and cost what they cost.

We looked at them all and decided a "loaded" Flying Cloud 25 (the smallest of the big Airstreams) with full awnings, solar, conv/microwave and then adding 16" wheel upgrade and bike rack, still less than any other 25' model and easily towed with a 1/2 ton truck, was the best value they had. I still think it is, although we splurged for a recliner chair modification at Jackson Center Service Center.

There is no difference in quality between Flying Cloud, International, or Eddie Bauer. Classics have wood cabinets and nice accessories inside the same basic shell as the others. They are all nicely built and we have found the cheap one as durable and comfortable as any.

dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote