Old 11-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Interesting online AS videos

I set up a TV in our home to be able to use some "computer-like" features it has, and one of them was online videos, mostly from youtube. In testing it I was amazed at how many Airstream hits there were.

Here are a few I liked. You can get them by entering the title in the Youtube search box (copy & paste).

Vintage Airstream Excella Travel Trailer Factory Production 1980's

This is one posted (and transferred to digital video) by Colonial Airstream. Since they talk about Airstream being on the market for 50 years, I'll guess it was late '8s production. Some interesting and fairly detailed video from the factory, including the cutting of the "wafer board" for the subfloor. Wafer board = OSB, of course.

Factory workers all seem to be fairly young, and wearing the typical '80s shoulder-length hair. In one shot, one of them is smoking a cigarette, something one does not see at all now. Not sure I would want to be working with cut sheets of aluminum in shorts though, as many of them are.

Interestingly, they show that the interior moulded plastic panels interior end caps, and bathtubs were made in the plant. Also, in those days they used in-house seamstresses, another thing the current plant tour does not show. I'm guessing that those items are all out-sourced now.

Airstream Performance

There are at least two videos with this name, I'm referring to one done by Airstream themselves. It shows a variety of videos, new and old, where Airstream are being towed through a variety of high-speed tests.

Most of the videos show cars doing the towing, but Airstream did a recent test with a Porche Cayenne SUV at the Transportation Research Center in East Liberty OH that is shown here.

And of course there is the Airstream Restoration series, done by the TV show, Classic Rides with Kevin Tetz. This series is an excellent entry description to many of them most common jobs we will tackle in getting an older TT up to modern standards. There are a bunch of these videos, and they are done in reasonable video quality. Highly recommended (by me!)

I'll add a few other videos later.

Feel free to list any that you have seen and liked!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Actually, I THINK the sewers are upstaris on the same platform floor as the offices in the plant.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Upon reading my post... I didn't mean sewers..... As in plumbing. I was, in my quest to be pc, looking for a gender neutral word for seamstress.. Anyway, I I think they are upstairs.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
OK, here are a few more!

The Vintage Airstream Classic Motohome Presentation 1980's is just that: another Jacksonville production of how AS Mohos are made. Oh, if our frames still looked as black, shiny and smooth as that today, huh?

Oh, and this is the one that had an AS emplyee assembling with a cigarette in his mouth. It's about a third of the way through, while he assembling the body with the chassis. I found it interesting that they apparently made the MHs along side the TTs, same plant, and (I'm guessing) same employees.

Airstream How To: Trailer Wire Routing (Shell to Finish)
This one answers a lot of questions you may have had about where wiring is within modern trailers. Sadly, no word on how the older trailers differ on this point. Basically, the animator tells us that AC wiring goes around the trailer from 24" up from the floor to 20" up from the floor. AV cables are at shoulder height, and DC wiring is mainly in the ceiling.

They show clearly where the floor harness connects to the ceiling harness, and talks about the trough that goes from one side to the other midships to allow a protected area for cables that nee to connect to wiring on the other side.

He starts with a TT with only the outer shell, then moves ahead to where things are with the inner skins on, and finally with the furniture installed.

1958 Cadilllac with 1957 Airstream Overlander
Complete with poodle hanging out the rear window of the Caddy, and a home AC unit hanging off the end of the AS, this quickie, made me think "That rig looks like he didn't buy a WDH or perhaps didn't know how to set it up!" Cute antique 1958 Cadillac towing a 1957 Overlander. Those were the days, huh?

Airstream - Africa! Capetown to Cairo - Part 1 of 5
This is just what the title says of course, and I am posting the other four parts too. In this episode, watch for lots of sand, wind, mud, and dancing natives. Narrated by the famous actor José Ferrer.

Airstream - Africa! Capetown to Cairo - Part 2 of 5
Some scarey travel on the way to Rhodesia, and more dancing. Wally Byam does the Watusi! Yes, really!

Airstream - Africa! Capetown to Cairo - Part 3 of 5
The pygmy people. They can dance too! It struck me that all those trailers that are so far from any towns, roads or cities are mostly all single axle. Hoo boy! This episode has more interesting African animals.

Airstream - Africa! Capetown to Cairo - Part 4 of 5
An interesting development with regards to roads. Actually, it's hard to imagine the trip. When you see the travel speed they often used, the distances they achieved are astounding! Team spirit seems to have been the order of the day; everyone pitched in when they had to.

When they finally reached Addis Abbaba, they are visited by a very important historical person! I think it's better you watch the video, because my description could not rival these shots. Suffice to say, we do get a clear shot of Wally's gold trailer in this one.

And finally, the last segment, Airstream - Africa! Capetown to Cairo - Part 5 of 5
Heading to Cairo, the inevitable sandstorm hits. Getting through it is an incredible story. Remember that the travellers were not young people, quite the opposite, from what we see on the screen.

And as José Ferrer says at the end of the episode, "May all your travel dreams come true."
Old 11-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
more from The Airstream Studio

Hello again, movie fans! Get the popcorn ready for another fabulous film from the 1960s, early 1960s, I am guessing.

Historical Airstream: Building Dreams is our Business

Our astute viewers will note that this one uses some clips from the "Capetown to Cairo" film.

Plywood floors this time, with 500 bolts, all hand-bent! How to make your own Dura-Torque axles, if you have access to a freezer that can get down to -150°F.

The advantages of Alclad aluminum are demonstrated. No longer true apparently, since Alclad was discontinued in (I think) the early '70s.

Unlike the later factory video I showed, all plant employees in this one either wear long-sleeved overalls or white lab coats with the AS logo.

A "young volunteer" (in a bikini) stayed in the Airstream while it was kept at -20°F in a freezer chamber. She waved through the window while an automatic recorder showed that the interior was maintained at a comfortable 72°F. Yum!

The clip finished with a seemingly crazy and rather elderly test driver doing all sorts of stupid tricks designed to tip or crash a trailer, but the Airstream follows the tow car, a Chevrolet Impala, I think, resolutely!

Ahhhh, those really WERE the days!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Upon reading my post... I didn't mean sewers..... As in plumbing. I was, in my quest to be pc, looking for a gender neutral word for seamstress.. Anyway, I I think they are upstairs.
Ohhhhhh! Well, thanks for clearing that up!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:24 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Augusta , Georgia
These are great. Thanks for doing the legwork.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Very neat if not glaringly sexist. That said, I'd like to spend more time in the airstream in the chill lab with the volunteer. It might throw the test results and temp readings off though. Other comments: Full size tub, really? Watching people install fiberglass with their bare hands makes me itchy. Glad we as a society lost the appetite for avocado green furnishings. I didn't see any need for balancing roadgear on the early units especially when offroading. I'd like to have seen the state of those trailers inside after bouncing over hill and dale and through the mud! Yes that was a '72 or '73 Impala. We had one once. Although the trailer behaved well behind the chevy, the film was cut so that it was difficult to see the car being "torqued" by the trailer in the corners. I'm sure that there were some outtakes. I like the fashion sense of the fisherman. Looking good if not overdressed for the occasion.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
A real slice of '60s Americana, isn't it? When men called "the little woman" by a pet name, such as "Honey", or "Sweetie", and the wife's most important job was looking after "her man".

ps: on my computer, when the photo opens, I have to click on it again to see the whole thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goodwifesguide.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	172461