Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ocala , Florida
Interested, but tentative.

Well, my boyfriend and I are still dreaming of buying an airstream, primarily for summer-time travel.

However, as I visit local campgrounds here in central Florida I am rather turned off by them. They mostly are run down, in poor locations, far away from shops, good dining, movie theatres, etc.. Maybe I haven't seen the right ones.

Before committing to buying an RV, we are thinking of first traveling this summer in the north without an RV, and trying to find nice places/campgrounds that compel us to want to join the lifestyle.

We are looking for campgrounds maybe in Wisconsin, or NY, or New England. Just a few examples that, after visiting, will cause the hook to be set, cause us to want to buy an RV and go back there again and again, year after year.

Do such campgrounds exist? Which ones do you recommend for first-timers like us? Which ones in Wisconsin, NY, etc, are guaranteed to be close to movies, restaurants, etc? Places of beauty and nature near to amenities and things to do?

Do such campgrounds exist? Or are they, like the ones I've visited here in FL, all run down, dismal, and far away from the action?

Thanks for any input you might have.
Goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've been a tent camper and nature lover forever. I just love woods, hills and water. Campgrounds are a necessary compromise now that we've expanded to an Airstream. But the greatest majority of the time I'll use a state or county park, national forest campground. Very few of those have been tacky but some are more basic than others. People leave town for a weekend and usually go to some fun destinations. I don't know many who go across town to a residential trailer park -- and some of those can get sad. Think 'vacation' or 'weekend destination' and check out those campgrounds. And look at our review section here - http://www.airforums.com/reviews/

It'd be a nice idea to step out of my Safari and be within a block of a really good coffee shop but that's a romanticized view I'm not seeking. I'll seek natural settings but we always unhitch when set up -- the truck gets us into town just fine.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Yikes Goldilocks --- sorry you've experienced the run-down campgrounds. Where were they located - in the northern part of the state? I ask only because I haven't been north. The ones I visit in central/south are pretty well maintained -- for campgrounds. But, few are located near the action. I'm not certain why, but I'd hedge a bet that it's due to a couple main reasons (purely my opinion): 1) most campers are trying to get away from the action and 2) it would be cost prohibitive to have acreage in the active areas dedicated to a campground. However, I have visited a couple RV courts (dedicated to more permanent type residency) in Palm Beach and Martin Counties that are more central to nice dining and shopping. Can't help with identifying campgrounds outside my part of FL. The one's I visited in the Carolina's were quite primitive - the type I was specifically seeking at the time!
Curious to see what types of campgrounds other's have experienced.
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Sorry about your disappointments in N. Florida campgrounds, Goldilocks. There are quite a few good ones in the area. But being close to movies, restaurants, etc., is not quite conducive to camping. The idea of camping in my opinion, is to "get away from it all".

Topsail State Park, where we just camped at with many fellow Airstreamers from this forum was close to Destin and Panama City. Jekyll Island Campground is another good one, close to restaurants, but not movies. It is just over the border into GA.

Elie Ray's is a nice one on the Santa Fe River. But nothing close to it, for about 20 miles. A nice place to bring your Airstream AND boat.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Most of our camping thus far has been limited to our home state (Ky) and there is a wide variety of surroundings. Some are close to towns and cities and some are not. Regardless, we are trying to get away from the activities and just enjoy the camping experience. The "get away" aspect is the best part for our family.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
WI Campgrounds

In WI we have many nice campgrounds. For what you are looking for try out Door County. The state park is full in the summer but early spring and late fall it is wide open and nice. Also there are many private campgrounds that are nice as well, Baileys Grove Travel Park and Campground is a good place to hang out. There are a number of towns in the area with good places to eat, things to do etc. I try to avoid any campgrounds that are focused on people who park there for the season, look for campgrounds that have a minimal number of those types of sites.

Door County is just one area of WI there are many others that offer quality camping, check out the WI Dells area as well.

You want a very nice place with lots of action? Go to my favorite place in the world to camp, Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. The campground is a 5 star (the part with 5 point hook ups) right in the middle of the best amusement park in the area. You can walk to nice places to eat, sit on the beach, ride as many coasters as you can take.

In short there are a lot of cool places to go with an Airstream, try it out you can't go wrong. If you don't like it call me I might be interested in buying your Airstream!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet A Couple of Alternate Possibilities

It does seem that most are in the country rather than near any action. A couple of exceptions are #1, Pecan Grove in Austin, TX (if you can get in), and a new campground in North Little Rock, AR, Riverside RV Park, right on the Arkansas River across from the Clinton Presidential Library. (City of North Little Rock | Main Page)

Pecan Grove is in a good location in Austin (see barenakedfamily.com ~ Pecan Grove RV Park and notice all the Airstreams), near good dining and there are plenty of other things to do and place to go in Austin. North Little Rock’s Argenta District is near Riverside and Little Rock’s Rivermarket District and the Clinton Library are all served by a trolley system. Memphis is also only a couple of hours away, easy daytrip destination.

LR/NLR has possibilities, but I would recommend Austin for action. We would like to have you visit here, though.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Goldilocks,
There are campgrounds out there that run the gambit from state parks which offer limited services to the mega commercial campgrounds that offer just about every amenity one could possibly want. Take a look at Woodalls. Campground web sites are also helpful.

The fanciest campground we have been to has been in Foxboro, MA, Normandy Farms. It was not "near" anything other than Foxboro Stadium, but was close enough to make day trips to Boston, Salem, Plymouth, Newport, RI, and Old Sturbridge Village very easy. The campground has MANY amenities as you will see by the web site. They also have a coffee and pastry cart that comes around in the mornings and a concierge service that makes touring very easy.

A camping resort of the same caliber in New York is the Lake George RV Park. They have a trolley that runs into town for shopping and other cultural activities.

There are campgrounds out there that should suit your fancy, you just have to look for them. It's just too bad your first exposure was less than ideal.

And if you decide on an Airstream don't forget to look into all the Airstream parks scattered across the U.S.A.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Here is what you are looking for. The Victoria Park Trailer Camp in downtown Cobourg Ontario.

It is located on the north shore of Lake Ontario, between Victoria Park and the Marina. It is right downtown within walking distance of a beautiful park, beach, swimming pool, shopping, restaurants, everything you need.

Town of Cobourg - Victoria Park Camp Ground

For a more traditional camping experience I recommend the Cobourg East Campground.

Cobourg East Campground - Home Page

It is about 10 miles from Cobourg on a good paved hiway. In a well maintained but "woodsy" setting.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldilocks View Post
Well, my boyfriend and I are still dreaming of buying an airstream, primarily for summer-time travel.

However, as I visit local campgrounds here in central Florida I am rather turned off by them. They mostly are run down, in poor locations, far away from shops, good dining, movie theatres, etc.. Maybe I haven't seen the right ones.
Most Walmart's will allow you to "camp" in their parking lots. They normally are not run down, and there are often shops, good dining, movie theatres, etc. closeby.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
There is something going on in Cobourg nearly every weekend in the summer and fall such as,Bluegrass Festival, Craft Fair, Antique Car Show, Highland Games, Agricultural Fair, Volleyball Tournament, Rib Fest etc etc.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Interested, but tentative.

Greetings Goldilocks!

In Southwest Wisconsin there are two RV Parks/Campgrounds that I would suggest. The first, and one of my favorites, is Rustic Barn RV Park in Kieler, Wisconsin:
  • Less than 10-minutes to DuBuque, Iowa for excellent shopping, good restaurants, and other fine arts attractions such as theater, museums, etc. The Ice Harbor (on Mississippi River has riverboat cruises some of which feature excellent dinners or luncheons).
  • Less than 20-minutes to Galena, Illinois -- excellent destination for antiquing (100s of shops both small and large), historic mansions including President Grant's home (open for tours on a regular schedule), many unique restaruants and bistros), a number of entertainment options.
  • Dickeyville is less than 10-minutes away where the Grotto is a must-see. There are also several interesting antique shops in Dickeyville.
  • Less than 30 minutes to Mineral Point, Wisconsin where you will find buildings rich in history as well as excellent restaurants and bistros. In addition, the Mineral Point City Band performs on a regular basis during the summer offering quality local entertainment. The Grundy House Museum is a must see as well as Shake Rag Street. Several of the local restaurants feature Cornish Pasty which is a real treat and quite filling.
My second choice in Southwest Wisconsin would be the Governor Dodge State Park in Dodgeville, Wisconsin:
  • The largest employer in Dodgeville is Lands End, and they operate an inlet store that often has excellent bargains.
  • The Don Q Inn located just minutes from the park is an interesting place to eat with quirky museum assembled by the original owners.
  • Just a short drive of about 20-minutes (North) takes you to Spring Green, Wisconsin where you will find:
    • Player's Theater -- offers excellent live performance on a regular schedule throughout the summer.
    • Frank Lloyd Wright Visitors Center and Taliesin -- world renowned for architectural history.
    • House on the Rock -- to fully examine this attraction, budget at least half a day -- its collection mechanical music boxes is a must see, as are most of the other collections -- bring comfortable walking shoes as this is a walking intensive sight.
  • Just a short drive of about 20-minutes (West) takes you to the town of Montfort where you will find:
    • The Montfort Wind Farm -- located along US 18, this is a must see photo opportunity.
    • Rural Route 1 Popcorn -- factory store -- located along US 18, is a must see for anyone who likes gourmet popcorn and flavored popcorns of many varieties. The store also features souvenirs as well as books of local interest.
There are many other similar examples throughout the state. I once lived in Grant County Wisconsin so the counties where these two parks are located were home territory for me. The City of Madison is less than one hour from Dodgeville and only a bit further from Kieler. Wisconsin Dells is only about 90-minutes from Dodgeville or about 2 hours 15-minutes from Kieler. Something else to keep in mind for the Summer of 2009 is that the WBCCI International Rally will be held in Madison from June 25 through July 5.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
My second choice in Southwest Wisconsin would be the Governor Dodge State Park in Dodgeville, Wisconsin....
Good call Kevin. Our daughter lives in Madison and Governor Dodge is enough of a draw that we'll dedicate extra time to stay there. About 20 minutes south is the little arts community in Mineral Point -- nice pottery & other art; good brewpub restaurant. Don Q was having a bankruptcy auction in Sept when we stayed at Gov Dodge; it looks like it's still in operation judging from web presence.

Madison is a great little city if you do your homework. Many good non-chain restaurants. The best Saturday AM farmers' market! We've stayed half a dozen times at Lake Farm campground 10 minutes from downtown. I've recently heard good things about Token Creek and will probably stay there next time. Park List - Dane County Parks Department

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 01-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ocala , Florida
Wow. Thanks all for the replies. You altered my thinking on this. You reminded me of the new ways to pass the time while RVing (more than just movies or eating out, though that's part of it). I'll bookmark all these places you all talked about. Thanks again.
Goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Wow. Thanks all for the replies. You altered my thinking on this. You reminded me of the new ways to pass the time while RVing (more than just movies or eating out, though that's part of it). I'll bookmark all these places you all talked about. Thanks again.
I think you'll enjoy all the parks mentioned, Goldilocks. There is a rather thick book I have seen (wish I could remember the name, perhaps another member will know what I'm talking about) that lists all the RV spots in North America.

Of course, there are many, but this one is recognized as THE Book. I met the author once, and she told me that she relies on camp users for her ratings. It might be worthwhile investing in that book for when you do get your trailer.

Oh, and Goldilocks, be sure to stay away from the Three Bears' house when you travel. They can get rather grumpy if you eat their porridge or sleep in one of their beds!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:

Before committing to buying an RV, we are thinking of first traveling this summer in the north without an RV, and trying to find nice places/campgrounds that compel us to want to join the lifestyle.

We are looking for campgrounds maybe in Wisconsin, or NY, or New England. Just a few examples that, after visiting, will cause the hook to be set, cause us to want to buy an RV and go back there again and again, year after year.

Do such campgrounds exist? Which ones do you recommend for first-timers like us? Which ones in Wisconsin, NY, etc, are guaranteed to be close to movies, restaurants, etc? Places of beauty and nature near to amenities and things to do?

Do such campgrounds exist? Or are they, like the ones I've visited here in FL, all run down, dismal, and far away from the action?

Thanks for any input you might have.
Most of the nicest campgrounds in Florida are in the Keys. Most of the state park Campgrounds are quite nice. The pan handle has many. Fernandina beach is another. I have been to many. You may not have access to it "all". However you will have access to different and interesting scenery.

If you want to be near it all. You can camp from Wal-mart to Wal-mart. This is what I typically do traveling cross country.(Seriously) Most allow it and you can get up in the morning and get whatever you need including limited RV supplies and be on your way.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Thumbs up

klattu barata niktoh

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...era-37772.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 01-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Goldilocks, I wondered what happened to you. You started another thread a long time ago and then disappeared.

To some degree campgrounds are like motels and hotels—they range from awful to average (middle class perhaps) to luxury. Land prices have a lot to do with where to find things and the cost of accommodations. Hotels get the most use out of the space they occupy and even then downtown hotels can be very expensive. RV parks take a lot of land and as cities and towns expand, the campgrounds sell out to someone who wants to use the land more intensively, and thus campgrounds are usually at the edge of town. Some older ones survive, or may have very narrow spaces. At times we have paid more for the convenience of being close to the action, but with RV campgrounds that is not often an option. It goes with the territory.

I don't know what big book Aage is referring to—there are a couple. We use Woodall's and the AAA campground books. State and federal campgrounds may have been surrounded by development and would bring you closer to restaurants, etc., but generally you have to unhitch and drive to experience downtown things. But, you will have a kitchen! The food is better quality, costs less, and you don't find yourself at a restaurant you really regret. We go to restaurants from time to time (just like at home) either because we need a break or there's a really good restaurant we want to go to and will never have another chance (or we just need a pizza or Chinese food).

And sometimes, in midday, it's a challenge to go a restaurant or see something cool or go to a local museum because of parking the behemoth behind you, but you soon figure out how find those spaces big enough for RV's nearby. And at the end of the day, no bedbugs (unless you bring your own), a comfy bed (though you may want to use a topper on the factory mattress) and you don't have to go out and look for some barely acceptable restaurant within 20 miles. Every trip we've ever taken where we stay in motels, one or more don't have hot water in the morning—and a lukewarm or even lukecool shower does not start the day well. Many beds are terrible and the sheets come out and bunch up. To often the rooms aren't cleaned well even in supposedly decent places.

And sometimes the nearest available campground isn't too good either. But I know I'll have hot water and a comfy bed. I have a decent sized table for my laptop, or to read at, or plan the next day. A lot of motels do not have decent sized tables or desks. I'm more likely to meet interesting people at an RV campground. And, best of all, every couple of days someone tells me what a beautiful trailer I have and sometimes they want a tour.

Keep reading on the Forum so you know what you will be dealing with because the worst thing is not the occasional bad campground, but deciding you made an expensive mistake. And remember, every one who has a complaint (me included) will post on this Forum and sometimes it looks bad and it can scare you away. People without problems don't usually post the absence of problems (try and find a thread "Everything's Fine").

It's definitely a different way to travel, but if you grew up with RV's, motels and hotels would be different. And, always avoid dead end streets!

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Keep a good campground book available - I read them as if they're the only reading material in our home. There are several of them - Woodalls mentioned above, Frommers (the folks that write lots of travel guides) and Trailer Life's publication. All of them RATE campgrounds but you have to learn to read between the lines. Some places we wouldn't stay are rated higher than others that we really like. Once we've learned to read the evaluations, we know what to look for. We can still get caught on occasion but not very often. Experience is the great teacher. CrawfordGene made some excellent points - shows you what you can learn reading these Forums. We happen to use our AS for traveling because we like sleeping in our own bed and eating our own meals. We're not campers but we enjoy the experience of visiting with others in the campgrounds. It's a great way to travel and see the country. We get to a place, unhitch and use our TV to see the area - visit museums, historical sites of interest, and go to movies and restaurants if we so choose. Travel day means hitching up and pulling out and back on the highway. The best part of all this is the planning - sure helps the winter go by (for those of us living in the snow-belt).
Enjoy whatever you purchase but if you believe most of us on the Forums, why would you purchase anything other than an AS???
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A note about Frommers. We like their travel books on various states, but the campground book, so-so. They focus on two types of places—high end commercial campgrounds and public lands—state parks, national parks, monuments and Forest Service. Not nearly enough campgrounds because you're not always in a place where Frommer's has reviewed something. They have a section in the back that is little more than a list of other campgrounds and not all that many. The major listing are very thorough and useful, but there aren't enough. The maps are in another section. Thus, not an easy book to use.

When you've got Frommer's, Woodall's, AAA, maps and maybe a few tour books to juggle on your lap, the passenger could get blood clots in their legs from all the weight. Frommer's will not be replaced (unless my wife disagrees, then I will pretend I misspoke). I don't know about Trailer Life. What I don't like about Woodall's is that all of North America in one book is bulky. I could cut it in half and duct tape a cover to each half and maybe I'll do that. Or you can get it in two volumes, or even smaller regions. They're selling the 2009 editions for half price on Woodall's website, but the shipping makes it a less good deal. I've seen it in RV stores for half price, though they are less likely to have the smaller volumes. Amazon doesn't have the 2009 ones yet.

You do have to learn how to interpret the listings. Woodall's gives them "W's"—up to 5, but says they're not ratings, just showing how many amenities they have. One of the most important parts of the listing is how much space the sites have and how many they're crammed into small properties. AAA does have ratings and some information Woodall's may not have. Directions to campgrounds sometimes are incomprehensible and AAA directions tend to be better, but not perfect. Sometimes we use both to figure it out. There have been campgrounds that sounded nice, but we couldn't figure out where they were. It's a function of someone who knows the area writing directions that someone not from there can't understand.

It's getting to be planning time. I've already started improving things, checking things and otherwise itching to go. With the days getting longer, no snow in more than a week and warmer temps (40˚ today), it feels like Spring, though I'm sure that feeling will soon be crushed.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote