Old 08-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
sarasota , Florida
I'm now "THAT" guy !

Well, my wife (airkar) & I took our first weekend over night a few weeks ago with our new (to us) 2011 27' International. Our T/V is a 2006 F250 (diesel) King Ranch (and yes, the major engine repairs have already been done by PO). Everything went fine at our local state park here in Sarasota, Fl. Good hook-up, great site backing up to the water and we came home with 10 fingers & 10 toes. Even our dog Willy enjoyed the trip. And he gave me inspiration for a name for our AS. I like to call it "Willy's Wagon".

After being hooked up and settled in for a few hours I was over whelmed by an unexpected feeling. I had become "that guy" by age 52. I looked around at our camp site and saw that I had a hot dog, a smokin' trailer & a great wife with the best rig in the campground. How did I get here (felt like I was in a Talking Heads song). A lot of the credit has to go to my parents. They gave me love of the outdoors. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time around boats & had the best summer of my life when I was 10. We spent the whole summer living on my parent's boat. I had a fishin' pole, a john boat, a BB gun and every day I was like Opey Taylor. Moving to Florida in 1971, our family continued to boat & camp at least 1 weekend a month. First in a van (who didn't have a van in the '70's) then last Dad bought 32' Travco motorhome. I don't ever remember my Dad sleeping in a tent, but spent a lot nights on boats or motorhomes.

In my college days, spent nights car camping. Then bought my first tent. Later found out they made a thing called an air mattress that made a huge difference. In my 30's & 40's I did a lot of sea kayaking around Florida and spent a few hundred nights beach camping out of my kayak. Behind able to find 10' of beach front in the Everglades to set up camp became special to me because of the effort it took to get there. Even if it was just a spoil island along the coast, the idea of ruffing it & being on my own made it more special to me. I had all the cool camping stuff to round out my "kit". Later, I moved on to buy a 21' SeaPearl sailboat & I thought I had "made it". The rare times I did stay in a camp ground (often Fort Desoto on Tampa Bay) I looked at the Class A's with their slide-outs & toys and thought .... that's not camping. I'm not going to be "that guy".

So now, I may not have a Class A, but I do have a/c, 2 flat screen tv's, microwave, stove, oven, hot & cold running water, a refrigerator & a full size queen size bed that I share with my wife & Willy. It's such a rig that I had to get a F250 to pull the darn thing!

I look back on my beach camping days with some great times. But, waking up with sand in my teeth, getting rained on, having raccoons steal my water, coming up with a sunburn and other assorted ills may not have been so great.

So, now I am "that guy". Life is easier now with the AS. And while it may not be the type of camping I used to do. Laying in bed with my wife (and Willy), watching a movie on our bedroom flat screen with the a/c running and listening to to mosquitos ping off our windows at night I have to admit I kind of like this AirStream life style. See ya on the road. And feel free to honk at 'Willy's Wagon".

airron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Just give it a bit more time and you will have that Class A and all the comforts of home. Lets hope it is a new Airstream Class A.

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Congrats! It is good to take stock of ones blessings!
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Success !!!!!!

Hard work paid off!

“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
If you are That guy, then you are one of Them, which means you are now one of us!!! Welcome. Jim
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
2000 27' Safari
Durango , Colorado
I wanna be "that guy" when I grow up ... WAIT! It's happening! Help -- I'm turning into my parents!

.... pursue ease and grace ....
awryawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Still not totally "that guy".

That guy never leaves his big ole bus.
He pulls into a spot, puts his stabilizers down, and lets his 4 slides out from buttons and switches inside the coach and you never see him.
In the morning, he puts in his slides, lets up his stabilizers and dives away.

I ain't him- yet...
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I tent camped for many years admiring all those trailers and motorhomes.
I thought i would never own one.
Then we bought a sob and i thought i would never have an Airstream.
I guess it's kinda like i thought i would never be married, either.
I guess we just don't know what the future holds, but we know who holds the future...
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member
1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
We are the them that they were, and I for one like it. I too used to cross country ski and then snow camp, in the winter, and backpack and camp in the summer. Now the comfort of a queen sized bed with an air foam pad sounds and feels a lot more comfortable on this aging body. Good times then, better times ahead.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote