Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Griswold castiron

How about the Griswold cast iron foundry that made the specialty cake molds. I believe they operated out of Erie PA. Are they still in business. They made frying pan sets and grills. Some of the old ones are collectable. I'm getting old how come no body will collect me
Dan

Old 04-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Cool

P.s. I know they aren't made in America (Italy) but if I'm not wearing my 'iconic' Ray-ban Wayfarers while lounging under my awning, well, then I just don't feel right (or cool, for that matter).
Aw, who am I kidding? I won't even dump the trash without my Wayfarers.

1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
In fact, battery-operated radios were common up until just after WWII. More people live on farms then, and electrification programs for farms didn't really get going in a big way till after the war.

In addition to batteries, many of those radios were powered by these wind generators. I scanned this out of a 1939 Montgomery Wards catalog. "Brings city radio convenience at less than 50 cents a year power operating cost."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1939 WinCharger [1600x1200].jpg
Views:	123
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	155585  
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Mod View Post
P.s. I know they aren't made in America (Italy) but if I'm not wearing my 'iconic' Ray-ban Wayfarers while lounging under my awning, well, then I just don't feel right (or cool, for that matter).
Aw, who am I kidding? I won't even dump the trash without my Wayfarers.
Wayfarers are iconic. Been using them, and the Ray-Ban Aviators, since the late 60's, and have amassed quite a collection. The vintage ones were made in the USA. If you take care of them, they'll last forever.
WDCU
Old 04-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #33
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
How many items can be spotted in this image:

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
We use Correllware Dishes and Revere Ware Cookware. Coleman has a vitage stainless steel led lantern. (We love them.)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
My wife collects Fiestaware and thinks they go rather well with Airstreams, which we also seem to collect. It's still made in Newell, WV. It can be a challenge to transport in the Airstream, but that hasn't stopped her because it's pretty durable.

Fiesta (dinnerware) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You know that thought had never entered my mind...it does seem like a natural match up though...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #36
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
..... the iconic DC-3, the airplane that taught the world how to fly.

The Grand Old Lady - Douglas DC-3/C-47 (Part 1) - YouTube
FAN.....

This is for you...I know it's only a model but I thought you'd get a kick nonetheless....Amazing 17-year-old RC pilot. [VIDEO]

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #37
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
In addition to batteries, many of those radios were powered by these wind generators. I scanned this out of a 1939 Montgomery Wards catalog. "Brings city radio convenience at less than 50 cents a year power operating cost."
I thought of mentioning that, but somehow couldn't see a Wincharger mounted on an AS.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
It's a great idea- it's so easy to find iconic US made vintage stuff. When my mom died and I cleaned out her place five years ago, I saved a bunch of the 60s vintage stuff we grew up with for use in the Airstream, particularly the unbreakable things. We also regularly hit thrift shops and antique malls and have found tons of awesome stuff.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
I have to laugh though at the Coleman stove and lamps: my childhood camping memories of white gas camping devices are endless pumping of the tanks, my mom fretting about the gas can leaking in the trunk, and my dad cursing because he couldn't get them to function properly. Ah, memories.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Gene, that cabinet is a great idea. I do not need all that lounge space; what I really need is a place for books. So, am going to hunt for a similar cabinet that will fit in the same place.

Thanks for the idea!
The cabinet may be iconic now that I think of it. It came from an unfinished furniture store. It was sold as a bookcase and we had to special order it. Unfinished furniture stores are disappearing, but when I was young and lacked cash, this was a way to save money. Since I learned how to finish furniture, it was still a worthy bargain years later. We have a bunch of bookcases we got from that store before it closed several years ago. The depth has to fit between the back cushion and the edge of the gaucho and fit a small microwave and printer. I put a strip of pine on the top shelf to prevent the microwave from dancing onto the floor on rough roads. It's a tight fit, but works fine.

I saw a photo of the one in Moosetags' trailer—it was built by SuEllen. So we went looking something similar—I'm not a cabinet maker. We don't use the gaucho but there's still room for Barb to lean back and put her feet up watching TV. It is a great place to put a microwave and a printer, provides a little more counter space and we found a simple magazine rack at the Container Store and attached that to the side. The space between the cabinet and the partition is a place to store the bag with all the instructions for the trailer and some other things. It solves many problems. The microwave no longer sits on the kitchen counter and frees up that space. I can print directions, weather reports, information on CG's down the road. The credit for the idea goes to SuEllen (I hope I spelled her name right—SuEllyn?).

Gene
Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I thought of mentioning that, but somehow couldn't see a Wincharger mounted on an AS.
Here is a modern day version I spotted at Slab City last year next to some kind of sharp looking Motorhome. I believe I may also have a picture somewhere of a wind generator fastened to the ladder and rear bumper on an SOB.

I've always been fascinated by alternate energy sources, and am currently designing a base for a small wind generator that pins under the tongue jack, and fastens to the shaft. It's probably been done before, and I have a ways to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS 3 SOLAR WIND.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	155594  
WDCU
Old 04-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger

Here is a modern day version I spotted at Slab City last year next to some kind of sharp looking Motorhome. I believe I may also have a picture somewhere of a wind generator fastened to the ladder and rear bumper on an SOB.

I've always been fascinated by alternate energy sources, and am currently designing a base for a small wind generator that pins under the tongue jack, and fastens to the shaft. It's probably been done before, and I have a ways to go.
I love this!!

Maggie