Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I washed it yesterday, but yesterday's gone...

I got this new-to-me 2013 GMC diesel Denali.... in WHITE.

What possessed me? Well finding a used 2500 diesel in decent condition is HARD and they sell almost as soon as they are listed. If I had it to do over I'd hold out forever if necessary for a silver one, a bronze one, or that nice sort of cadet blue (gray-blue) one that doesn't look dirty the day after it's washed. I'm not sure whether black ones aren't as bad as white ones, but for those contemplating a purchase of a tow vehicle consider "dirt friendly" as a criteria. All campsites are dusty or muddy... it's the law.

Second thing of note. I used to have a Diesel Silverado 2500 with stock 18 inch wheels. The used GMC... has the 20 inch wheels. They cost more and believe it or not I can FEEL that the truck is harder to turn.

Like the truck, but I'm buying tickets for the BIG lottery today, and if I win I'll probably keep it, but I'll change back to 18' wheels AND I'll have a "man Friday" to wash the vehicle and the trailers!

Paula
Old 01-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Congrats on the "new" truck.
And a Happy New Year also.

Dave

[
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
20" wheels may look nice, but anytime you go to those super low profile tires, IMHO it's a waste of money, a lousy ride, and expensive tires. Not worth it for me. Low profile tired are a deal killer for me.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
...Like the truck, but I'm buying tickets for the BIG lottery today, and if I win I'll probably keep it, but I'll change back to 18' wheels AND I'll have a "man Friday" to wash the vehicle and the trailers!

Paula
If you hit the 400 Million lottery I believe you are referring to I expect you can have GMC build you a new 2500 in whatever color and whatever wheels you like!
Wishing you luck...
BB
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Mine's black - looks great when washed for about half an hour! But for that half hour it sure looks nice to me with the AS in tow!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
You have my sympathy. After owning a white SUV for some years, I really wanted to get my hands on the person responsible for that whole "white vehicles stay cleaner for longer" myth so that I might beat the tar out of him/her.

We washed our sparkly red truck the day before we left for my hometown for the holidays because the birds in our neighborhood (and quite possibly one pterodactyl), had apparently been using the hood and windshield for target practice.

While there we got hit by one of those rare blizzards that only happens in that part of the state maybe once every four decades. I was rather astonished by how it looked after we got back home. "Dirty" doesn't begin to cover it. I'm not even sure that "absolutely, disgustingly filthy" is accurate at this point.

It's really very easy to start telling yourself (and anyone who'll listen) that if it isn't dirty, it's not a "real" truck.
NoNameinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Paula,

You'd be right at home in Arizona. The only problem with white here is finding your vehicle in the sea of white cars and trucks in the parking lot. However, the silver Airstream makes that easier, if you are towing.

Most people here only buy one black (or dark colored) vehicle, then surrender to boring "bright white". Just grab the door handle of a black car or truck in the Arizona summer sun, or sit in one for awhile, and you'll see why...

Didn't you have a new Ford pickup? Just curious, that truck didn't work out for you?

Also, our old 1978 Chevy crewcab 454 was two-tone beige and tan. That wasn't too bad in the sun, and you could shovel dirt on it without it showing, which was a plus after Arizona haboobs.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
OK, white does not stay cleaner, but it looks cleaner longer. The best "looks clean longer color" is gold. But white on a good price diesel TV, why would you not go for it? Congratulations! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Basically what happened with the Ecoboost was (a) Donner Pass and (b) bought a 10 meter Avion and towed it from Ohio to Baltimore for Frank Yensan to "de-whorehousify". Definitively can now say "Scared Spitless" is both a euphemism AND an unrealistic expectation! I was impressed with Ford's built in anti-sway logic which will apply the trailer brakes all by itself if it detects too much sway on the trailer. (My built in anti-sway logic was a bit more sensitive and I drove 90% of that trip with one hand on the brake controller and the other clutching the wheel in a white knuckled grip. I'd also had a Chevy Silverado and felt it was more ergonomically fit to my body - and what the heck, I don't want to leave it all to my nephews and niece.

P.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I had a 2011 Denali 2500 diesel in black, awesome power, but a real pain to keep clean, enjoy your new truck!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Congrats! You can always add nice graphics, maybe in silver to match your trailer, around the bottom of the truck to keep it from looking dirty longer.

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Black is worse!
Silver is the best color, especially towing an Airstream or Avion!
But you got it now!
Good luck keeping it clean...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Any "sponge bath" tricks?

I've never seen a mechanical car wash that was worth the money - and I don't relish paying $60-$75 to have the thing detailed more than 3-4 times a year, but are there any tips for a quick once-over-lightly that I can do in 15 minutes without using 50 gallons of water? I've thought of using a kitty litter bucket full of plain water and a bunch of microfiber towels to swab it down then lightly dry (switching out dirty towels frequently so as not to grind in any grit).

A brand new super-duper car wash just opened on Va. Beach Blvd... offering the whole monte for half price, so I tried it. Sure enough bugs remained on the grill, the white behind the raised "DENALI" letters stayed dirty and with no mudflaps - there was leftover dirt behind the wheels. And it missed about 1/2 of the tailgate. The attendant did advise me, afterwards, that next time I should use the free bug remover that they offered in buckets with a mop - to pre-wash any particularly dirty area of the truck prior to going through the tunnel. If I gotta pre-wash I'll just go to the do it yourself sprayer wash.

Bugs bug me though... so can anyone recommend a good spray on bug remover? And tire black looks nice for about 10 minutes before centrifugal force sprays it all over the side of the truck... Any brand that stays put?

Paula
Old 01-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
WD-40!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I got this new-to-me 2013 GMC diesel Denali.... in WHITE.

What possessed me? Well finding a used 2500 diesel in decent condition is HARD and they sell almost as soon as they are listed. If I had it to do over I'd hold out forever if necessary for a silver one, a bronze one, or that nice sort of cadet blue (gray-blue) one that doesn't look dirty the day after it's washed. I'm not sure whether black ones aren't as bad as white ones, but for those contemplating a purchase of a tow vehicle consider "dirt friendly" as a criteria. All campsites are dusty or muddy... it's the law.

Second thing of note. I used to have a Diesel Silverado 2500 with stock 18 inch wheels. The used GMC... has the 20 inch wheels. They cost more and believe it or not I can FEEL that the truck is harder to turn.

Like the truck, but I'm buying tickets for the BIG lottery today, and if I win I'll probably keep it, but I'll change back to 18' wheels AND I'll have a "man Friday" to wash the vehicle and the trailers!

Paula
The quick fix is to buy a TV the color of dirt. Then you never know if it's dirty.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
It's a Denali! what's not to like? The white diamond color is my favorite! I've had several white vehicles and unless you are on clay I think they look better longer - never ever want a black truck! Never. Ever. Only disadvantage to white in the Midwest is that it is harder to see with snow. I almost lost my little white sports car in a parking lot after a huge snowstorm! You won't have that situation with your beautiful new DENALI! Enjoy.
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I was thinking along the lines of the wrap mentioned earlier. But more in the direction of a camo wrap . Nothing hides dirt like some designed to look like dirt. :-)
Add a rifle rack and you will get even more regard than a big 2,500 diesel usually gets.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Keswick , VA
I've spent lots of time on back county roads as a large animal vet. Impossible to keep a truck clean if you use it. My philosophy can be described as "If it's dirty it's being driven." Clean means you aren't going anywhere. The only person it bothers is you.
herkvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
White is fine, my dodge is white, wife's Buick is white, you'll like the diesel....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Foiled, Nobody won the lottery so try again for Saturday. The pot will be pushing 700 million. Good luck. You'll appreciate your white truck this summer.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote