Old 06-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Smile I want an Airstream!!!

We are still researching campers but our dream would b an airstream. We are kinda undecided because we dont have a garage or patio to store it and we have never pulled a camper before. We are a couple w 2 small dogs, we are not handy so dont think a used/fixer upper should be our first choice. Any thoughts? What are your thoughts on the public storage facilities? We are interested in a 16 or 22 sport bambi. Thanks! Love the history and character of these campers😊🐶

Old 06-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I Would suggest you rent BEFORE you buy. If you do rent, try one that would be of the size of the AS you want if an AS is not available. If one goes small, they tend to want larger and if they have large, they go small. Confusing isn't it? Good luck on your decision.

mike

Old 06-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
What do you have for a tow vehicle?
Old 06-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
You might be interested in this thread, which has a big discussion about the small Airstream models.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295/4-bambi-models-feature-differences-120231.html

We had never owned an RV, boat, or anything comparable for towing purposes prior to getting the Bambi. The learning curve was so steep it was vertical. Now we feel like seasoned RVers.

Our unit was two years old when we bought it, very lightly used. This seems like a good middle ground between a true handy-man special and top dollar for a new one.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
we had never owned a boat or rv. we looked at motor homes, 5th wheels and travel trailers. the wife wanted something on the smaller size while i wanted something a little bigger. our tow vehicle (1500, 4 door silverado) eliminated a 5th wheel. after about six months of searching we found a lightly used 3 year old, one owner unit. after 3 years of use we really like the size and layout (rear kitchen) of the unit. the unit was on a dealer's lot 400 miles from home, so we had a really quick lesson in towing. the route home was across I-40 through the mountains of western North Carolina and southeastern Tennessee.
we have never regretted our decision to purchase a rv or the type, brand, size and layout of our unit. yes there are some features that we dont have but all in all the unit fits our needs nicely. remember there are pros and cons to every type and size of rv and it comes down to personal preferences.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Go for a 20'. We traveled months at a time with our two dogs. One was a Jack Russel, so I took the door off one of the storage areas under the dinette seat and he used that as her house. Worked great.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Thank you for your replies.... we will be getting a Toyota Highlander and this will be our towing vehicle. "Wayne&Sam" tempting about the 20`, loved the story about the dogs! We are so excited! Do y`all store your units at home?
Old 06-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We store our brand new FC in a covered storage facility. We have had toys before and kept them at home or at an outdoor storage facility. The weather can really wreak havoc on them but if that is the solution you have available it will work. Before we brought "Lucille" home we had an outdoor storage facility lined up but our name moved up on the waiting list and we got her in covered storage right away. We live in an area where hail can occur at any time and I didn't want Lucille to get a new "polka dotted" dress!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
Silver Nole

2013 23' International
Tallahassee , Florida
We just bought our first airstream and will be driving from north Florida to colonial in two weeks to pick up. I started calling around AFTER we bought to learn there are virtually no available storage spots in our town. I was shocked as I didn't think it would be a problem. Apparently I need to quit my day job and open a rv storage business. We just got a contract on our house so we are having to change strategies and rent a house on five acres outside of the city so we can store on site. The only storage spot I found was outside the city and the place was sketchy to say the least. We are building a new house so we will hopefully only be doing this for about a year. My husband is excited though as now he can tinker with it since we are newbies.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingDogs View Post
Thank you for your replies.... we will be getting a Toyota Highlander and this will be our towing vehicle. "Wayne&Sam" tempting about the 20`, loved the story about the dogs! We are so excited! Do y`all store your units at home?
we store our 20' safari at home. we have paved drives on both ends of the house and store the trailer in the drive away from the garage. we have a 30 amp plug, a water tap and a sewer connection for the trailer.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
I wish we could do that, sounds perfect
Old 06-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
good luck...I have a lengthy thread on my creation of my parking spot in my back yard for my AS...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...rd-106125.html

Still have not yet pulled the trigger on covering it some way...budget restraints are pushing me to wait a few years or maybe just go with a basic carport cover thing like that...

Storage options can be pricey...most economical is an open lot it seems uncovered...all kinds of logistical concerns if you do not have power...some places have a dump site power etc...that would be nifty...could dump when you get it to home base...everything though costs money it seems...

If you are storing in florida, it would be nice to have power while in storage, be it to run a fan or two for air circulation or to run a dehumidifier (I just got one, live in alabama) dropped humidity from 70% to now 45%....I think some get by with other strategies...but something to think about.

Good Luck!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #13
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I forget to mention that we usually travel with one medium-sized dog (a shepherd/red heeler mix) who usually sleeps under the bed. This works fine even in our little Bambi, unless we need to run the furnace (also under the bed) or she decides to sleep in the middle of the floor unbeknownst to her sleeping owner who stumbles over her on the way to the loo in the middle of the night.

Our house lot is also very limited in terms of a parking space for the Bambi. Have you got an option of working out an arrangement with some neighbours? Have you got an RV service center nearby where you could store your AS? When we first bought the Bambi we lived in a condo complex with no RV parking, but we were able to keep it at the dealership for a small rental fee. Now we over-winter it at a nearby RV service centre.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1402262827.314841.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	213819
This is how we store now because we had to get this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1402262941.782801.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	213821
Maybe next year we will get our Airstream shelter.
Storing it at home works best when you use it nearly every weekend. We stored our first trailer for a couple of months until some trailers at the storage lot were vandalized. We have stored the trailer at home for 4 years.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote