Old 04-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ocala , Florida
I pee a lot at night. Is a bambi too small for me?

Or do I need something with bigger tanks?

Looking at about a dozen KOA campgrounds online, I am finding site prices starting at $40'ish and often getting into the $50s. Seems awfuly expensive when you only have a 19' bambi and your own bathroom. Also, the best places seem full even one month ahead of time.

How much is the average price you pay per night for a site with full connections?

Old 04-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Your post is a bit androgenous but given the masculine gender a low tech solution is a pee bottle.

Campground fees vary quite a bit with region, but the prices you quote are not uncommon.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
That's why we prefer State or Provincial Parks. With electric, they are usually around $20. Without, they $6-10. Besides, I like being in the woods as opposed to being out in a field. The campgrounds we've stayed at with full hookups have turned out to be our least favorites. As long as I can fill my water tank on the way in, and dump my waste tank on the way out, I'm happy.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Many state park campsites have water and electric, and average in the $20's. They usually have a dump in the park. We have a 25FB, and have found that our 39 gallon black tank lasts us 4 to 5 days without using the park bathrooms. we most often dump because the gray tank is full.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldilocks
...Or do I need something with bigger tanks?...
here ya go...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...eed-31784.html

and here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...buy-40383.html

IF u are planning to full time MONTHLY RATES (or weekly) are the way to go in full service OR spartan camping areas...

because single nite fees will add up fast....

also consider one of the many camp ground clubs...there are already many threads on these...

and the typical discount cards like goodsam and k o a , again threads to read...

and if u think about it, folks in a tiny trailer are more likely to USE THE FACILITIES in a campground....

for showers, latrine, washing clothes and so on.

as for the brand park in your post here's a thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ink-33277.html

and when u decide to ask the free land and back yard questions, start here (links inside too)...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...and-36068.html

cheers

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yes, prices are going up. We had to raise our rates about two weeks ago after we found that our net income for the park amounted to a measley ~$3,300 for the whole year. Pretty bleak. (The benefit of April 15th is that one can review the year and calculate the damage.)

What did surprise me was how much motels have gone up. On my involuntary trip to Ogden, UT last week (again, don't ask ), we stayed at Motel 6's in non-tourist destinations only. And paid $59+tax/night for a single-person room. Boy, gone are the days when one could stay at inexpensive places!

Lynn
Old 04-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hi Goldilocks!

When I'm looking for a place to stop and cook some porridge, I use my "Passport America" membership.

It's like $49.00 a year and it lists many campgrounds off the beaten path. At 50% off, I Just stayed at one for $9 bucks a night.

PS, I'm single bear

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Hmm... two tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
Your post is a bit androgenous but given the masculine gender a low tech solution is a pee bottle. ...

Where/when is the bottle emptied?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW

Where/when is the bottle emptied?

Tom
I don't know about you but...
Nothing fancy here..
I use a tree whenever one is handy~
Old 04-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Interesting post. I have had a 19' Bambi and have a 25' Safari with the same 18 gallon black tank as you are considering.

I have had myself and my two brothers out boondocking for about 6-7 days. Last week my brother and I were boondocking out on a farm near Louisville.

We have yet to completely fill the tank and let's just say we consumed on both trips generous amounts of brewed beverages in 6-7 days. Still did not fill the 18 gallon black tank. Came about 3/4 full, which IMHO is all you really want to carry for more than 5-6 days without dumping it off, no matter how many or how much tank stuff you add in there to break it down and reduce the odors.

If you think the 18 gallon tank is small, keep in mind that these units use to have 8-9 gallons in 2002, and didn't get upgraded until late 2002, early 2003 to the current 18 gallons. I could fill 8 gallons in my sleep in a week!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ocala , Florida
Thanks for those great replies/links/ideas/etc..

I am female, BTW.

I didn't know Airstreamers like porridge. LOL

Would state parks (woods) be sort of scary or unsafe for a single girl?

Also, is it possible to cheaply/easily increase (retrofit) an older bambi's tank size (in the event it is smaller than 18 gallons)? I was considering older bambis for money sake, but I didn't know they have smaller tanks.

Last question: Do airstream owners have more fun, get more respect, or get ripped off more, than other brand owners?

Thanks again!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Last question: Do airstream owners have more fun, get more respect, or get ripped off more, than other brand owners?
Yes.

If you get a late 90's Bambi, they have onboard tanks, but many 1960'svintage Bambis do not. At least, no grey tanks for the wash water.
You can get a rollaround grey tank you can hook to your plumbing, fill it, and roll it to the dump station. We have an 18 gallon auxilliary rollaround tank we take with us to "non full hook up" campgrounds, and that's how we handle the grey water situation.
You could do the same for the black tank, but the people that have done that have had mixed results.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Do airstream owners have more fun?
Yep.

Don't worry about an 18 gal tank being too small. It really takes a while to fill. An RV toilet only uses a cup or two of water per use and you gotta empty it eventually anyway. Emptying the tanks is only a 5-10 min job. A really simple procedure.

Good luck.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
In one end, out the other

Quote:
... I didn't know Airstreamers like porridge. LOL ...
Old-Fashioned Porridge

INGREDIENTS:
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Scotch oats (steel-cut)

PREPARATION:
Bring water and salt to a boil. Sprinkle with oats, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 25 mintes, stirring occasionally. Serve porridge hot with milk and honey, sugar, syrup, or fruit. This recipe for porridge serves 4 to 6.

My Overlander's 17 gallon tank will accomodate my wife, 2nd grader, Kindergartener, and me for almost three days. It will accomodate just my wife and I for roughly twice that time.

For just urine, remember that many toilets have a hand-held sprayer that really helps conserve water, and consequently, tank space.

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote