Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #41
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
"I didn't know Airstreamers like porridge. LOL"

I'm a hot cereal man from way back. Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, Red River cereal, grits, cornmeal mush, it's all to the good.

There is nothing like hot cereal to fill you up on a freezing cold day and make you feel righteous.

Hot oatmeal with cream and brown sugar, whole wheat toast with butter and marmalade, some eggs and lots of hot coffee or tea.

Oatmeal is healthy and hearty and makes you feel good too. And it's so versatile. Add raisins, or flax seed, or top with some crunchy bran cereal.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #42
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'm glad to know it's not only old guys who pee at night a lot. But, at least there's medication for us and it's not porridge.

Back when I used to drink lots and lots of beer, I can imagine filling up the black tank really fast, so we need to know Goldilocks drinking habits to give a conclusive answer about tank size.

Anyway, the question was asked last April and what did Goldilocks do about an Airstream?

Where are you Goldilocks?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Yes children love to use water. Good luck just conserve water and single I would join a caravan or bite the bullet and spend a bit more. A state site with hook ups would be safe, not out in the wilderness alone, and bring a dog.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
This old 04 28 safari I have drug back and forth across the country has a very unique set up, a 70 gallon combined black and gray tank. Works for me, and frequently I can go 2-3 days w/o a dump. One thing for sure, it always drains lots of fluid when I pull that lever. I know most would not like it, after over 130 nights in her in the past year or so, it is an excellent set up. I think a/s made a mistake not keeping it as an option. I see more advantages for my travel than disadvantages. Simple and seems to me less problems than the traditional set up.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:36 AM   #45
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28 View Post
This old 04 28 safari I have drug back and forth across the country has a very unique set up, a 70 gallon combined black and gray tank. Works for me, and frequently I can go 2-3 days w/o a dump. One thing for sure, it always drains lots of fluid when I pull that lever. I know most would not like it, after over 130 nights in her in the past year or so, it is an excellent set up. I think a/s made a mistake not keeping it as an option. I see more advantages for my travel than disadvantages. Simple and seems to me less problems than the traditional set up.

It really was a matter of choice. I know several folks who could fill that tank with mostly gray water and when that happened, there was no way to boondock and let just the gray out cause it was mixed with black. IMHO, it was a great idea on paper, but in reality, the 70 gal combo only worked for some folks.

When I'm boondocking it is not uncommon for me to buy the 2.5 gal water jugs from the store and top off my tank, rather than pump from a manual well (most times has iron and stains the fresh tank, has sediment, etc). I have a 39 gallon fresh tank and I add on a week and a half trip, maybe about 14 gallons (due to showers, etc) when I have 3 folks in the RV for that time period. The sinks and shower all go to the gray tank. In my case just doing the math, I could fill the 70 gallon on a trip like that, where now, in the ultra remote areas I go to, I can yank the gray tank and keep going, and still have several more days before my black tank (18 gal) is totally full. Backup into the shower (lowest point from tank) from the gray tank when full is not a great exp...mixed with black, should it ever happen would just be nasty.

When I dump, I also like to pull the black first, then the gray, FWIW.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #46
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
My Overlander's 17 gallon tank will accomodate my wife, 2nd grader, Kindergartener, and me for almost three days. It will accomodate just my wife and I for roughly twice that time.
Tom
Each to his own, but I try not to hang out in the black tank if I can avoid it, the main cabin of the camper is much more spacious and smells better

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #47
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Each to his own, but I try not to hang out in the black tank if I can avoid it, the main cabin of the camper is much more spacious and smells better
Maybe TomW's family are really, really small space aliens who prefer black tanks which may replicate their home planet. This could be an example of the universal appeal of Airstreams.

As for the state of Rodney's main cabin, I will refrain from commenting.

And, Goldilocks, where are you?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #48
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We have the 18 gallon black tank and with the four of us, (two adults and an 8 yr old and 11 yr old) we can go 5 days between dumping the black tank. When my mom goes with us (three adults, two kids) I dump the black tank after 4 days. So for us, its a 5/4 or 4/5 ratio.

I would like a larger gray tank. In a state park we can fill the gray tank every day (39 gallons) with four taking a shower every day. That's with everyone taking navy showers. With a 25 gallon blue tank (the largest CW had at the time) I usually have to fill it, empty it and finish emptying the gray tank making two trips to the dump station every day.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #49
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
We have the 18 gallon black tank and with the four of us, (two adults and an 8 yr old and 11 yr old) we can go 5 days between dumping the black tank. When my mom goes with us (three adults, two kids) I dump the black tank after 4 days. So for us, its a 5/4 or 4/5 ratio.
Funny my wife always thought I was full of crap (maybe even a few of you on this forum as well), and now, thanks to the Air Forums bringing the info out and sharing among all of us, I find that I may be vindicated..... after a week and a half with three adults with an 18 gal black tank, I've been able to last a week and a half with still 5 gallons (give or take) left to spare after that time had passed.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Funny my wife always thought I was full of crap (maybe even a few of you on this forum as well), and now, thanks to the Air Forums bringing the info out and sharing among all of us, I find that I may be vindicated.....
Vindicated??? Not really...if it's not in the tank, where is it? Maybe you are full of it ~ <teeheehee>

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #51
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I think Silvertwinkie needs to eat more roughage.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #52
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
I've been able to last a week and a half with still 5 gallons (give or take) left to spare after that time had passed.
The average human will produce about 4 gallons of urine and 1.5 gallons of "solids" in that 10 days, so I guess you could "last" another 9 days since you had 5 gallons to spare before having to make your deposits in the black tank. You have quite a tank yourself! Who toilet trained you?

Gene
Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #53
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
This is getting very funny...

(but it might be time for me to unsubscribe...)

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Well then the big issue is letting gray out when no official dump is around, as traveling with the black full never has anything come up in the shower etc. They hopefully thought of that one. Still, my type of travel is never more than 2 days to a park. Another nice aspect is pulling in late even after 2 days on the road, no need to hook up most times till the morning

I was wondering however if this system will be easier to live with, having constant fluids in it sloshing around,build up it seems to me would be less.O well, your systems are normal and mine odd, fit the owner!!
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #55
1 Rivet Member

Fayetteville , Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to jking09
This is too funny.
jking09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #56
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ahhh...I forgot about this thread and read some of the posts after one of my recent posts here....very cute.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
New York , New York
I have a 16' DWR bambi, and the only thing I really hate about it, is it does not have a grey water tank, and the holding tank is smaller then the fresh water, so the holding tank fills up fast.
ITsIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I have the same nocturnal activity as Goldilocks. I'll turn off the water pump, go down the hole while holding the flush valve open. This way no excess water fills the black tank. Then turn the pump on to let enough water flow to flush.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #59
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITsIT View Post
the holding tank is smaller then the fresh water, so the holding tank fills up fast.
You're supposed to drink the difference.

Oh, wait, most of it will still go to the holding tank.

Gene
Old 02-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Try flomax!
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote