Old 12-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I have an interesting situation.

I have wanted an Airstream for as long as I can remember. I'm an architect, I love design, I value it and will pay for it. Obviously, I only want an Airstream.

My wife on the other hand, likes space and slidouts, she doesn't necessarily see the poor qaulity, fit and finish issues of the SOB. She was actually turned off from the Airstream because she said they were small. Then if you read my first post, you'd be happy to hear I finally got her to "acquire" a taste for them. Now she wants one.

I could buy new or I could by used. I love the new, but I feel like I am not 100% responsible in dropping that kind of money. Its not an affordability issue, its if I should drop that money on a toy or saving for retirement, etc.

So now we know we want a bunkhouse, and I located one of them. I want to jump at it but my wife is not hot on a used trailer. Would I love a new Airstream? Boy would I. That really is the only toy I would ever want.

So I am in this interesting fix. My wife has given the green light to buy the toy of my dreams, yet I am holding back because I don't know if I am being responsible.

The last thing I want is for my wife to not want to go on trips because the trailer is not exactly what she wanted. She talks like she wants new because she wants it to be only ours, every scrape and ding and piece of dirt on it is ours and not be wondering where, or who put it there. I think you know what I mean. And I know, a happy wife....

Do I just buy a new one? Or do I try and get her to buy into the used one? What would you do and why?

Old 12-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
A new one comes with a two year factory warranty, to fix any incidentals that come up.
A new one comes with a toilet and beds that have not been slept in or sat on.
A new one give you the opportunity to order what you want, not buy what somebody else wanted. You will also know if the trailer has been mistreated by the original owners.

A used one has already taken the depreciation hit, and will have its bugs taken care of. A used one will no doubt have its first scratch, so you won't have to freak out when you scratch it. New mattresses and toilets are available for replacing the ones in the used trailer.

Glad I could help...

Old 12-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
snip...

I could buy new or I could by used. I love the new, but I feel like I am not 100% responsible in dropping that kind of money. Its not an affordability issue, its if I should drop that money on a toy or saving for retirement, etc.

...Snip...

Do I just buy a new one? Or do I try and get her to buy into the used one? What would you do and why?
Great problem to have. My question for you is why saving for retirement and a new airstream are set up as an "either/or"? Can it not be a "both/and"?

We bought new because I'm just not handy. I'm learning but will never be a master craftsman. I would love to retire in it and travel the country.

That's me.

Do what's right for you and just go camping :-)
Old 12-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Sbb
begorragirl

2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
I was intently reading ur post, #1, and it ended no where near where I thought you were going. With your design background..you should get one, pay to have the bones redone, then design and redo inside to suit ur needs and style. Your wife and u would design and decide. I do not have that option in my life. The Orvis Airstream was one of my favorite designs. As far as getting an Airstream in what ever way you choose, go for it, simplfy ur life in other ways, what you get from time away with loved ones is really most important.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I, too, am an architect and I chose the used route because it did give me a chance to save more for retirement. I got a good deal on a used 25' Excella. I changed it up bigtime to meet my own wants and sense of style. It went from brothel looking with yellow shag carpet with big yellow and black flowers to a soft modern southwest Navajo style. The twin beds got switched to a pedestal queen. The front sofa was replaced with nice Ekornes chairs. Plastic laminate countertops became corian. First trip was long one...6000 miles. During the trip I compiled a list of 53 items which had to be fixed. There were no "gimmee's". Every item was serious and important.

It took me over a month, but every single item was corrected by me. That was 10 years ago. Since then, the trailer has been a dream to live with. It's just what we wanted it to be. Perhaps my approach might be a fit for you.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Sbb
begorragirl

Denville , New Jersey
That is exactly what I mean...wish I had the choice to do that. I bet u have a beautiful Airstream Bob.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Airstream especially the Aluminum walls inside, but to just make it ur own design... That is special. I make it my own thru my strength, style, bedding, pillows, awesome shelving in closets that utilizes space to the max.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Sbb
begorragirl

Denville , New Jersey
Ps... I am the wife, and my husband is happy, we r somewhat reversed when it comes to the Airstream as I use it extensively for work on my own and we get about five weeks a year in it together.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Thanks folks, but the renovations are out of the plans...I built a house that I designed which took my 12 years. I built it myself from site work, concrete, framing, finishes only using subs for electrical and mechanicals and a couple other trades.

With small kids now, I don't have a minute to lose with them. I'd be the first guy to gut, body off, restore an Airstream, but I just can't. I need to buy one and go camping with my kids.

I run my own company now, that's all I have time for.

It's a question of new vs used. To make it more complex I am so lucky to have a wife on board with the new, but I can't seem to pull the trigger because I am scared I am not being responsible and being selfish. I think that is the real issue.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Snip..

With small kids now, I don't have a minute to lose with them.

Snip...

I need to buy one and go camping with my kids.
Snip...

Snip...

I am scared I am not being responsible and being selfish. I think that is the real issue.
Are you sure that's the real issue?

The first two snippets suggest you should buy new and go camping tomorrow. That your wife agrees is even more confirmation.

:-)
Old 12-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I just love situations where one can't loose and I think you are there. Airstreams don't have motors so all the nasty expensive stuff that happens when you are buying a used vehicle is not part of the risk. The components that make up the Airstream are readily available and are not financially devastating when something goes wrong, but little bits go wrong all the time, new or used. It's just part of the fun of ownership. The parts of the Airstream that you may wish to replace or redesign to make it yours can happen quickly or over the course of time as you discover the improvements you wish to make. I bought new only because I am still working and don't have the time to muck a lot with it. But I use it plenty. A used one may increase in value over the course of time where as the new one will be subject to big time depreciation immediately. Being prudent, of course, brings comfort that you cannot put a price on. But then, being prudent may not be completely satisfying. Oh what a dilemma! I would keep things simple and do what ever my wife wanted. Eliminates the stress from all angles. But then............Jim
Old 12-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If it will blow your retirement, don't do it. We used tents and VW campers when the kids were young and they loved it. Great memories. The Airstream didn't come until retirement when we could pay for it up front and still have financial freedom to travel and enjoy it much of each year.
dkottum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Oh boy. Hard question. Is "new" worth it? That is so personal and there is no one right answer. The only thing I can think to do is describe the choice we made when faced with a similar question. I wanted new. Hubby really didn't want to pay that much. Despite that, he made a reasonable offer on a new 25 FC but the dealer said no. The dealer called a day later to try to work it out, ( we were only $1,000 apart) but by then we had cold feet. Another 6 months passed. We went to RV shows. We looked at all kinds of SOBs....made an offer on one of those that was turned down ( thank goodness!). We debated tow vehicles. I still wanted a new Airstream and nothing else looked good by comparison, but the money was a real issue, especially because we figured out we would have to get a new tow vehicle too. Hubby started suggesting we buy a used Airstream. I was very resistant to that idea but I started looking at pictures of trailers for sale on the forum and began to see that some older models have floor plans that are actually better for us than any of the new ones. We have no interest in/use for a dinette, but want really comfortable seating and twin beds. Then a 2004 classic, 28 footer that fits those specs exactly appeared in the forum classifieds in a town not too far away. We decided to go see it, and it is now ours. We got it for about what we would have paid for a new SOB. It needs a few things...like new tires, and has a few issues, like a shower that doesn't drain well, But I tell myself a new one would have issues too...as would any trailer. I still covet the sleek good looks of the new interiors, (ours has a ton of golden oak)..but our floor plan is perfect for us. And we have done a little redecorating ...changing out the gold tone hardware and removing some of the overly abundant mirrors, and may do more. Hubby reminds me that given what we saved over the price of a new one, I can do a lot of redecorating! It is definitely "our"Airstream...couldn't be more so than if we had bought it new. And it feels solid, and high quality even though it is 10 years old. We may yet decide to get a new one someday. That would be a thrill. But for now, the BATT is perfect.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
1962 16' Bambi
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
What ever you chose, do it now. The kids will like it in any condition and they grow up so fast you don't want to miss any time with them. We only go this way once.
60 Ambassador Int.
98 Safari
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we originally looked at used trailers, but never saw a nice one. Ugly, beat up, smelly, Etc. So we ended up buying a new trailer. This was for our retirement; We bought it only a few years before we retired.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote