Old 09-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #57
2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I'm back to bring closure to this Thread.

After seeing some of the most important people in my life grow old, I asked myself what would be my regrets when I turn their age.

At the top of the list was not spending as much time as possible with my kids when I had the opportunity to do so.

So we ordered a 2015 Airstream Bunkhouse today.

What the hell, 401k's are overrated.

Well I'm one of those people I suppose and knowing what I know now, I'd have today my biggest regret would be not buying an airstream sooner! Cheers to you I can't imagine you'll regret it.... Enjoy!

"on the road again"

Mj: "I'm on the road again"
Markj55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #58
1972 Travelux Princess 25
Cobourg , Ontario
Years from now I can see your kids thinking " Gee we had some great times in the old Airstream". I can't see them thinking "Gee the folks sure have a swell 401K".

Best of luck, and I hope you have some great times.

Living in the trailer park of sense, looking out the window at a tornado of stupidity.
Ganaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #59
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We never had an Airstream until retirement but that never kept us from traveling and camping with the kids in places an Airstream couldn't go, and we did it a lot.

You can have it both ways, or many ways.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member
2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Hope it is not to late to say that I applaud your reasoning and decision.

Noting will replace the memories you are about to make. They will be priceless.

Happy camping and sure send some follow up photos!
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #61
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We never had an Airstream until retirement but that never kept us from traveling and camping with the kids in places an Airstream couldn't go, and we did it a lot.

You can have it both ways, or many ways.

There is no "One size fits all," but we also did it your way.

I have never been a believer in being in debt, so when we were young, we camped in tents, then a used VW Westphalia, then a used 20 foot British-designed light weight "Sprite" travel trailer that cost me the princely sum of $3k. (we sold it maybe 8 years later for $3k !)

We had a hiatus from camping spanning quite a few years when the kids reached an age that they were no longer into camping with mum and dad, then bought a gently used "Award" 27' trailer, and subsequently a three year old AS when i took early retirement. (still owed nothing to anyone!)

Now in retirement, I don't feel we missed anything, and we do have great retirement income and sufficient in the bank due to my relatively frugal lifestyle over the years.

It sure makes for a relaxed and secure lifestyle, and I have no regrets at all at this point in my journey on what I chose to do!

Now, though I surely wouldn't say we we're "rich" by any means, we are 'comfortable" and could certainly walk into the RV dealer and buy the top of the line AS for cash with no impact whatsoever on our lifestyle.

But even so, I doubt I would do it, just because I don't feel it would be $$ well spent, and we are happy enough with what we have.

Hope our kids appreciate my attitude in days to come. They'd better, as they will doubtless eventually be the beneficiaries of my approach to life!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote