Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #41
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
I bought used and never looked back. Granted it was near by and in very good condition considering I'm the 4th owner.
Went and bought all new linens, cutlery, towels, cooking tools etc , etc which you'll have to do anyway if new and that's at least a grand!
TAXES!! new vs used? That was a shock!
As stated, for a grand you can have new mattress's and a new toilet installed by the local dealer. While there they can fix what ever needs done and sanitize the tanks if needed. Get a professional cleaning service to clean the soft goods (like curtains, couches etc for a couple hundred.
One way you're supporting the Airstream Factory the other the service center employees and local economy--- trust me Airstream is not in any financial difficulty....but the dealers really have to work for it as a lot of folks on these forums are jacks of all trades and do their own work.
Help the small guy and be financially responsible....win win!!
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
I too cringe at the price of a new Airstream. We upgraded from a pop-up to a '75 Excella with twin beds - we just wanted to test the Airstream waters and it was in good shape. We loved it but when the repairs started to add up, we decided to get a new Airstream. We looked at all the new ones and just couldn't pull the trigger knowing that it would depreciate so much. Our 1975 Excella cost $12,600 new in 1975 (we had the original sales receipt from previous owner) we sold it for $9700.00 in 2012. We ended up buying a 2006 Classic for a third of the cost of the new Classics. We put on new tires and painted the inside and hung new window coverings - it is beautiful and we just love it. If you have never had an Airstream before, you might want to go with a used one for a season or two and decide what you like about it and what you would change before spending the big bucks for a brand new one. I thought I wanted the queen bed and now realize that I miss the twin beds and wish I had them in our newer Airstream. Good Luck.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Buy used, scrub and disinfect it yourselves, bank the money you saved for retirement.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #44
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
There is an alternative no one has mentioned.... buy a new SOB for the price of a used Airstream.

No doubt I will be bombarded with tomatoes for this but please take them out of the can!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
All that would do is prolong the inevitable- I have lived that scenario- I wanted an Airstream- bought a nearly new sob for what a vintage Airstream would cost and was never happy- camped in it 2 years 4 months and traded it in on an Airstream- now I have as nice a trailer as there is and reliable, too.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Do I just buy a new one? Or do I try and get her to buy into the used one? What would you do and why?
Ted - I've been in somewhat the same shoes. Bought a new 28' Safari, very soon learned the floorplan wasn't good for new circumstances. So the Safari was sold. Then bought a 30' Classic. Both wonderful trailers. . . Then the vintage bug bit me, big time.

I now have a 1954 Cruiser, totally renovated (to suit ME) and I love it. This one will be my final, true love trailer till death do us part (or the economy, or my age??). May I suggest that you & your wife find a WBCCI or VAC rally in your area & attend. Take a look at a few vintage Airstreams. Give that option some thought. And as a big plus, being an architect, you could (if you wanted) work out your own special interior design. Also, Forums member MelodyRanch is "thinning his herd" and thinking of selling several of the beautiful vintage Airstreams he has personally restored / renovated - to a very high standard I might add. You might want to contact him & get some photos & discuss.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
We bought a used ('97) 2 years ago with retirement in mind (accomplished in June of 2013). It was a one-owner trailer, and the gentleman had passed away. Although it was pristine, it was very dated so I went through it from stem to stern, and top to bottom. We left nothing untouched. Items were either added, (such as Fantastic fans), updated or replaced entirely (bed and couch come to mind). It was a great experience, and I was helped enormously by the experience of those on this web-site who documented their own efforts to my benefit.

I got the best of both worlds, a great Air Stream at a fraction of the cost of a comparable new one. It is ours, with our stamp on it and our fingerprints everywhere. Another advantage is I know about every system, how things function, and where everything is located.

Good luck with your decision, mine is just another view point to consider.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #48
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
I have wanted an Airstream for as long as I can remember. I'm an architect, I love design, I value it and will pay for it. Obviously, I only want an Airstream.

My wife on the other hand, likes space and slidouts, she doesn't necessarily see the poor qaulity, fit and finish issues of the SOB. She was actually turned off from the Airstream because she said they were small. Then if you read my first post, you'd be happy to hear I finally got her to "acquire" a taste for them. Now she wants one.

I could buy new or I could by used. I love the new, but I feel like I am not 100% responsible in dropping that kind of money. Its not an affordability issue, its if I should drop that money on a toy or saving for retirement, etc.

So now we know we want a bunkhouse, and I located one of them. I want to jump at it but my wife is not hot on a used trailer. Would I love a new Airstream? Boy would I. That really is the only toy I would ever want.

So I am in this interesting fix. My wife has given the green light to buy the toy of my dreams, yet I am holding back because I don't know if I am being responsible.

The last thing I want is for my wife to not want to go on trips because the trailer is not exactly what she wanted. She talks like she wants new because she wants it to be only ours, every scrape and ding and piece of dirt on it is ours and not be wondering where, or who put it there. I think you know what I mean. And I know, a happy wife....

Do I just buy a new one? Or do I try and get her to buy into the used one? What would you do and why?
Ted,
Last May my wife and I decided we had seen our last spring storm roll into the Eastern Sierras as we frantically packed our tent and gear..... I decided that after a lifetime of backpack camping, horse packing, and tent camping it was time to move inside a nice cozy trailer for a change.... I didn't know I wouldn't miss it, but I don't.

I guess maybe it's because of how good it feels to wake up in a comfortable bed and still be in the wilderness. As a kid we had a 15' Shasta that slept the five of us and it was magical.... Memories I've never forgotten and dreams I still had. But then we started looking at this trailer and that, pop outs or not? Lance, Flagstaff, Winnebagoo and of course Airstream.

We personally couldn't justify the price tag of a new one so the hunt was on. We initially looked at and past up, a beauty in Az (2009 20' flying cloud $35k) I regretted it at first, but then, I found our 19' Bambi in the Airstream Classifieds. It was located in Austin Texas and belonged to the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. They realized how interested I was and worked with me in every way. We flew out to look at it and they rolled out the red carpet. They offered to pick us up at the Airport, took us out on their boat to dinner and even offered to drive it out to Los Angeles where my wife and I would meet them at an RV Park near the fairgrounds!

I know it sounds crazy and it is. Almost as crazy is the fact we arrived at the park within 1 minute of each other. I drove up from San Diego, they from Austin...... It was meant to be!

It was 4th of July and we celebrated with them and their family from nearby Anaheim, with BBQ, Champagne and fireworks.... We're still celebrating. My thanks to Andrew and his wife Bobbi will never be enough.

My rambling point is we stuck our necks out and it paid off. We found a 2 owner 06 Bambi that is in near mint condition (obviously seldom used) and could not be happier. We paid $27k and it is sweeet!

One final word on all this is that we decided that waiting for retirement that for many reasons may never come was not what we wanted to do. My parents waited for retirement to buy their dream and passed away long before their time - never really fulfilling it. Live your dream.... Life has no promises. Hope to see you and your family in your new or used Airstream...... Happy Trails, Mark
Old 12-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We chose used. We needed a bunkhouse and we wanted an airstream. When it comes down to it, our needs are very very unique, and we are very experienced and mechanically-inclined with a design background. We lovingly restored our 1989 29' Excella and made the perfect custom bunkhouse for our seven kids and grandma and ourselves. It has everything we could ever want in an airstream-- even a dishwasher! But we ran out of projects on it once we had completely restored it. So now we are restoring another one for ourselves. We lovelovelove our bunkhouse. But we will be selling it soon as we get closer to being able to use the next one. Maybe you should consider looking at custom restorations. Be careful to choose one where the owners have upgraded the systems and not just made it pretty: axles, appliances, brakes, tires, electrical systems-- none of that shows but it is costly and necessary to update. The new ones are great, too, through, if it has the right layout and setup for your family.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #50

Cobourg , Ontario
So you want the new Airstream, the wife wants the new Airstream, you can afford the new Airstream but you can't buy it because it seems too extravagant.

This is a psychological issue.

How about this. It's ten years from now. 2 different scenarios, best case.

1) I'm sure glad we bought that Airstream. We've had some great times because of it and we will have lots more as long as we take care of it.

2) I'm sure glad we didn't buy that Airstream. Our retirement account is larger and every year it produces more income for us to spend on more important things.

How do you feel? Which is more appealing?
Old 12-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Interesting question

This is a no brainier.
Get a new airstream in the floor plan that pleases your wife.
This advice from the wife who persuaded her husband to by one for her.
You know you want new, too.
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
" if you want to give The Lord a good laugh, tell him your plans". After awhile, you know how much money you have, but not how much time you have. Simply think of it as an expensive SUV, and go buy it. If it doesn't work out sell it, other wise nothing will quite compare. Usually things we fear the most, never happen on the way to new adventures. I searched for four years for that perfect AS, visited several dealerships, and participated in this forum. Went from wanting a 25, 27, then 30ft w/ recliners. Finally ordered a 30ft-FC/ recliners in September with full awnings, 2AC, etc. $70,000 over ten years use is an inexpensive toy, could sell it before I retire, or use the equity to buy a new one before I retire. Just do it, don't look back but forward. The Bunk house model is perfect for you.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate the responses. I'm still confused, but I am convinced there are pluses and minuses to new and used. However, I think my wife is better with the new idea. It's the physiological thing. I'm going to see if someone will check out the TX trailer in the off chance it is like new. Then maybe take a trip with her to see it.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #54
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
You could buy used now, camp now, enjoy now, and, then trade the used for a new when you know for sure what works for you, and what you need and want...
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
New or used, an airstream is only expensive if you don't use it. Don't torment yourself. Get one and get going!
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I'm back to bring closure to this Thread.

After seeing some of the most important people in my life grow old, I asked myself what would be my regrets when I turn their age.

At the top of the list was not spending as much time as possible with my kids when I had the opportunity to do so.

So we ordered a 2015 Airstream Bunkhouse today.

What the hell, 401k's are overrated.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #57
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
I'm back to bring closure to this Thread.

After seeing some of the most important people in my life grow old, I asked myself what would be my regrets when I turn their age.

At the top of the list was not spending as much time as possible with my kids when I had the opportunity to do so.

So we ordered a 2015 Airstream Bunkhouse today.

What the hell, 401k's are overrated.

Well I'm one of those people I suppose and knowing what I know now, I'd have today my biggest regret would be not buying an airstream sooner! Cheers to you I can't imagine you'll regret it.... Enjoy!

Mark,
"on the road again"
Old 09-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #58

Cobourg , Ontario
Years from now I can see your kids thinking " Gee we had some great times in the old Airstream". I can't see them thinking "Gee the folks sure have a swell 401K".

Best of luck, and I hope you have some great times.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We never had an Airstream until retirement but that never kept us from traveling and camping with the kids in places an Airstream couldn't go, and we did it a lot.

You can have it both ways, or many ways.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Hope it is not to late to say that I applaud your reasoning and decision.

Noting will replace the memories you are about to make. They will be priceless.

Happy camping and sure send some follow up photos!
annie
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote