Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2013, 05:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
I can't fathom buying anything new, be it a vehicle, RV, or boat. I've purchased at least three of each. Having said that, I'm handy and mechanically capable.

While you may not have time to do a mid 70s shell-off restoration, don't you have time to fix odds and ends on a 2010-2011 when it breaks for a $25-30k savings?

As for the wife acceptance factor, does she stay in hotels? Remind her of that perhaps. At least if you buy a used trailer, there's probably only 3 or 4 people who've laid in the bed or sat on the toilet.

Agree with the others in that time's a tickin' and the important thing is to get out and have a blast with your family.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
All great replies, but I am still confused. What appears to be a perfect used trailer is way the heck over near San Antonio, TX. I would have to fly to see it, it just seems to hard to pull off. Maybe this will just work itself out and used won't be an option.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Our situation was similar, intending to buy new for the reasons stated. We were having trouble locating models at dealers to preview as we were not certain about size and layout.
Then we happened across a used, still in warranty, fully tricked out model nearby. We went to look at it, just to kick the tires. Bought it. It had almost never been used, just towed from NJ to NC, not even licensed. The PO was frightened by the drive and traded it on a MH.
The light use and the already paid depreciation sold me. My wife loved the interior and it was a Serenity where I had concluded we could only afford a FC new. I am pleased with what we did.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
All great replies, but I am still confused. What appears to be a perfect used trailer is way the heck over near San Antonio, TX. I would have to fly to see it, it just seems to hard to pull off. Maybe this will just work itself out and used won't be an option.
Give Patrick at Colonial Airstream a call. Plan on making it a day trip, so you have time to look over and through them all. They have new and used on the lot, and it will probably make your decision even harder...
Old 12-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
The RV lifestyle is "unique". Some people love it (me). Many (most) do not. I think the discussion of new or old, Airstream or SOB are great if you have an RV background.

If you are a 1%er, it also doesn't matter.

Anything new plummets in value driving it off the lot. A 90K Airstream is worth 70K a year later. A 20K Airstream is worth 19k a year later. A 10K Airstream is worth 11K a year later.

In my opinion, if they are your kids living at home, of course you have to buy with them in mind. Grand kids will go with you once.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Only you know the limits of your comfort zone, and how far you're willing to venture outside that zone. But that "maybe this will work itself out…" seems like it's kind of self-defeating. Things don't just work out the way you want unless you make the effort to make them work out!

If flying to San Antonio to see a trailer seems like a bit of a stretch, you're going about it the wrong way. Fly to San Antonio to visit the Alamo and do other tourist things, and while you're there, take some time to see the trailer. Make the trip worthwhile whether you like the trailer or not, and then you won't go back home disappointed, whether you go back with a trailer or not.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Don't underestimate the psychology at work here. My wife also did not want a "used" trailer. It took me some time to understand her position. It was not about money, or value, or economics. It was an emotional feeling that "used" was not a good idea for something so "personal" as a small living space. Think "used underwear" to get a feel for what I am getting at.

I honored her feeling about it and we sprang (sprung, springed) for the new one, which she LOVES. More money, but a better experience. Just a thought for you. Good luck!
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Before you go all the way to San Antonio, get one of the volunteer inspectors (lower right side of the Portal) to check out the unit for you.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I'm getting the impression you can't have family travel and camping adventures without an Airstream. Looking back at ours (with tents, backpacks, canoes, bicycles, camper van) I would say you might be missing a lot.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
new or used?

I pull a small used airstream to go camping when I have some weeks to see the world. I have a large newer SOB parked back in the woods for the long or short week-end/holiday outings. I feel I have the best of both worlds, for about the cost of a new 32' A/S. joe q in Minnesnowda
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #31
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
By reading between the lines, I think you better go the new route. Your loving wife is never going to let you forget that she wanted new everytime you have to fix something on that used $$$$ sink hole.

You say you have other priorities at this time so there is no way you have time to fix and remodel someone else's problems that they have given up on.

This is your retirement, your just starting early.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #32

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have had both. We started out with a brand new 2005 Safari 25FB. Her name was Lucy and we used her extensively for almost 8 years. We ended up spending almost 1,400 nights in her, and towing her 120,000 miles. This last 8 years has been the greatest times of our lives.

On our recent trip to Wyoming, we started discussing replacing Lucy. We liked the idea of downsizing to a 23FB. On our way home we stopped st the Airstream Dealer in Gulfport, Mississippi. We took s long hard look at brand new Flying Cloud 23FBs. We decided that the 23FB was what we wanted.

We had intended to buy new. The dealer happened to have a very lightly used 2012 Flying Cloud 23FB. It had some really nice upgrades, and the price was about $8,000 less than a new one. We jumped on it and took delivery about two weeks ago.

The moral of the story is that there are really good used Airstreams out there.

Even if your spouse doesn't like the idea of a toilet and mattress used by someone else, these can be replaced with brand new for about $500.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Its not an affordability issue, its if I should drop that money on a toy or saving for retirement, etc.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. You can afford an Airstram by deferring saving for retirement, or you afford to fully fund both at the same time? You better save for retirement because Social Security for today's young folks will be more problematic than for us "about to retire" types.

By definition camping is low cost. We've all chosen to make it expensive by purchasing an Airstream (and associated costly tow vehicle). Most camping families still create those wonderful camping memories in a tent. An Airstream is not a prerequisite in order to create wonderful camping memories.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #34
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
For me, there is no wife or family in the equation, so my situation is somewhat different. My original plan was to retire from Federal Service and buy a live-aboard boat that I could use to cruise America's Great Loop. Then I needed foot surgery, and the idea of living aboard something that never stops moving even when you park it suddenly didn't seem like such a good idea.

I had been saving up to buy the boat, and now I had all this money, and no idea what to do with my retirement years. Then I started looking at RVs, almost by acident. One of the members of the America's Great Loop Cruising Association (AGLCA) mentioned on their forum that he bought a Good Sam membership just to get discounts at Camping World, because outfitting his boat with RV equipment was cheaper than getting identical items at West Marine. That caused me to somehow associate RVs and boats in my mind, and allowed me to shift gears.

This was just over two years ago. Didn't take me long to decide that I wanted a small motorhome, a Sprinter-based class B, that I could park at my apartment complex without having to rent a separate place to store it. Then after much research and many test-drives of different brands, I stumbled upon the Airstream Interstate, almost by accident. More research, more test-drives, and I decided to buy one.

I've had my Interstate for almost two years, and I've even managed to recover about half of what I spent on it, by virtue of figuring out what my retirement income would be, living on just that much, and banking the difference from my working salary. My Airstream is already paid off. So is my toad. I have two-years'-worth of retirement pay scattered among my various accounts as a buffer against emergencies. I'm set.

I don't get to go camping in my Interstate as often as I'd like (yet), but every time I do, I get in another weekend's worth of retirement practice, so that by the time I retire— in another 13 months if all goes well— I'll already be really skilled at being retired.

I have never once regretted my decision. However expensive an Airstream might be, it's still only half the price of a comparably-sized and comparably-aged trawler-style boat. Campground sites are about half the price of marina slips. And fuel, well, 18 miles per gallon in my Interstate compared to 4 gallons per mile for some trawlers is a no-brainer. And given my present health, I can see more of the world by RV than I cold see by boat, because I'm not up to making long solo ocean passages, but I can drive coast-to-coast by myself as long as I pace myself and stop to see the sights in between.

It's all a matter of attitude. If you look at your future Airstream as a toy, you'll always have misgivings, because you'll always find something more worthwhile to use the money for. My Airstream is not a toy; it's the cornerstone of my retirement plan.

I've known too many people who retired, and then literally died of boredom in less than a year because they had no idea what to do with all the empty hours anymore. I am determined NOT to be one of them! When I'm not camping, I'll be maintaining the Airstream. And when I'm not maintaining the Airsteam, I'll be planning the next trip. I can spend as many or as few hours on it as I choose, anywhere from zero to twenty-four hours a day. I can go off alone if I want to get away. I can go to a rally or go on a caravan when I want to be social. As long as I can continue to pay my bills, I can do whatever I please, pretty much wherever I please. As the television commercials say, "Priceless."
Old 12-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Just a couple of thoughts on going the "used" route from a lady who really resisted the idea.....the one we bought didn't smell, was really clean, has not had a bunch of expensive problems and was ready to camp in, which we did the night we bought it. Equipped with my new towels, sheets, mattress toppers, kitchen items etc, there is no yukky feeling of living in someone else's space. Moreover, the couple we bought it from were clearly neater and more maintenance oriented than we are. So there are good used ones out there. I am a junkie for modern design, and I didn't get that, as compared to some of the interiors now offered, but I got a really comfortable space that is quite pleasant to be in.

And one more thought: while I take joy in the design of a space that I live in, as others have said it is the camping experience that really matters. When our kids were little we had a pop-up (used I might add) and we had a blast. They thought it was a palace compared to their boy scout tents and they learned so much helping us make camp. We did a 3 week swing through the Southwest one time that was epic. I came to really love our little "doll house" on wheels and I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. It is hard for me to think that an Airstream would have made it any better. Does your family want to go camping? If so, it doesn't really require much.
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Just so you all know, we already own a large popup, a Coleman Niagara full of amenities including a full kitchen and bathroom. We love it, and it is great for the kids, I agree. I will never get rid of it. The importance of kids sleeping under canvas was the reason I bought it.

However, I have been researching trips for years to go to the National Parks. It is one of my highest priority’s as a father to take my kids to these great places, there will be numerous multi week summer trips. I have many, many public boondocking locations saved from my research from using all kinds of mapping software.

I just can simply not get these trips done in the popup. I need hardwalled for more convenience especially in bear country. Poping up and down would be too much.

So I agree on the comments about camping in tents, but I do need a TT for these major upcoming trips.

We will also be taking an annual trip to the in-laws in April in FL. That we will do in the trailer.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
I can't fathom buying anything new, be it a vehicle, RV, or boat. I've purchased at least three of each. Having said that, I'm handy and mechanically capable.

While you may not have time to do a mid 70s shell-off restoration, don't you have time to fix odds and ends on a 2010-2011 when it breaks for a $25-30k savings?

As for the wife acceptance factor, does she stay in hotels? Remind her of that perhaps. At least if you buy a used trailer, there's probably only 3 or 4 people who've laid in the bed or sat on the toilet.

Agree with the others in that time's a tickin' and the important thing is to get out and have a blast with your family.
Lysol the toilet, buy a new mattress - the basic Airstream model isn't the best quality though the one in my EB is a big step up from the old Safari one. My "used" EB was pristine except for one stain on the duvet cover - and it came out in the wash.

Paula
Old 12-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have owned a used trailer. It was in such good condition you would never know.
The decision to buy the new Airstream was simply based on the fact it had no carpet- the used ones had carpet in the living room and bedroom-
I always buy used cars- everyone thinks they are brand new-
I also had a used mobile home trailer that everyone thought was new-
If you were to buy my trailer everyone would think it was new-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Just so you all know, we already own a large popup, a Coleman Niagara full of amenities including a full kitchen and bathroom. We love it, and it is great for the kids, I agree. I will never get rid of it. The importance of kids sleeping under canvas was the reason I bought it.

However, I have been researching trips for years to go to the National Parks. It is one of my highest priority’s as a father to take my kids to these great places, there will be numerous multi week summer trips. I have many, many public boondocking locations saved from my research from using all kinds of mapping software.

I just can simply not get these trips done in the popup. I need hardwalled for more convenience especially in bear country. Poping up and down would be too much.

So I agree on the comments about camping in tents, but I do need a TT for these major upcoming trips.

We will also be taking an annual trip to the in-laws in April in FL. That we will do in the trailer.
TED... I will assert one more time MAKE YOURSELF & YOUR WIFE HAPPY BECAUSE it's contagious to the rest of your family.

Take the whole family camping one weekend - at Colonial Airstream. Lakewood NJ - just south of NYC & Philadelphia. Call Patrick Boticelli and he might even arrange for you to have water and electric hookups at the dealership. Spend a lot of time actually checking out every Airstream that might appeal to you. There's a world of difference between looking at pictures and floor plans and walking through and testing dinettes, beds, bathrooms, etc.

Colonial kicks butt when it comes to pricing too. Go ahead, squeeze the nickel til the buffalo craps in your hand!

BTW, Patrick isn't out to just sell you something and throw you off the lot. I met Patrick in 2006 at an RV show in Atlantic city - and he wasn't able to sell me an Airstream until June of 2013 (right after I rolled my tow vehicle and stream on a trip to St. Louis). He had just gotten an 11 month old Eddie Bauer in stock and remembered that I'd been drooling over them on this forum. The prior owner, a doctor, decided he didn't like camping. I was ready to buy new, but I'm like Ado Annie, I couldn't say NO to $20K savings.

They have a HUGE inventory of Airstreams (new and used) and are quite likely to have any model you're interested in. When I was considering my first Airstream my sister and I toured the Airstream factory "the mothership" and by really SEEING and sitting in the model I thought I wanted, I quickly decided to move up to a slightly longer one.

Happy Trails, Paula
Old 12-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Two cents from a frugal person. Contact an inspector to look at the tX Bunkhouse. Get them to take lots of pictures. If it isn't up to snuff, buy a new one. Then you won't wonder, "could I have saved a bunch of $".
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote