Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
I find myself confused

This is my first post. I visit this forum and read and dream about being out there with you. At this time my husband and I own a 1994 34’ Pace Arrow but I have a special longing for an Airstream.

We are retired but have custody of our twin granddaughters who are 15 years old. We are very busy with running them around and for the next three years they will be our focus. Our dreams of rving are going to remain just a dream until they are settled in college. A weekend now and then will be about it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButtUgly View Post
Airstreams are leakers, not good the farther north you go during colder temperatures, have complex systems which tie you to campgrounds, and are stupidly expensive.

The above quote from another thread really concerns me. If Airstreams are leakers then maybe I should not entertain this obsession with owning one. We just recently paid $8000 for a new roof for our motorhome and if we were to buy a new or nearly new Airstream I don't want to have to worry about this.

I can’t even imagine how this could be. Airstream has been around for years and years. For the price I would expect more.

I'm very interested in your comments.
yorkiebeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:42 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
It's a fact. Many leak. With diligent monitoring and some upkeep, you can get years of good service...if you choose to do nothing, at least the only thing that will rot is the floor unlike most other brands where you have to worry about the walls, ceiling, and floors.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Washington State.... umm hmm. Lived there for over a decade. Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain.

Store the AS under cover so it stays dry when you're not traveling and exercise vigilant maintenance and upkeep to keep the leaks at bay. You can't let this get away from you, though, stay on it.

Same advice I would give no matter what RV you buy.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We check ours periodically for leaks with a moisture detection meter probing the interior perimeter floor of our Airstream. It was delivered with no leaks, we have found four that developed with use in four years. Fixed them easily by caulking around awning bracket, tightening loose door hinge screw, tightening a window latch.

About $30 for the moisture detection meter, 20 minutes once a quarter to use it, a tube of caulking, wrench and a screwdriver. Long way from your $8,000 roof repair. It's part of routine maintenance that any equipment needs.

Any post that mentions an Airstream (or any product) problem is an opportunity to vigorously unload grievances, over and over.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Northborough , Massachusetts
Everything leaks ...

There is no such thing as a leak-proof RV. Some maintenance is always required, especially where aluminum meets something else like plastic.
Modern RV vents are plastic and the transition between aluminum and plastic need an annual check and scrape off the old sealant and replace every 2 years to do your best to keep leaks out. The aluminum will transfer heat in/out depending upon season so yes they may be a bit more lossy... but they don't chalk, crack, or rust. Fiberglass, steel, and canvass have their own issues.
Aircraft aluminum is superior in many ways... just not in every way.

Older Airstreams had aluminum vents (Herr) and fewer leaking problems because of it. Thousands of rivet holes can be problematic if stressed incorrectly... not usual but possible. Don't use acidic cleaning and stripping products... ever. Same for aluminum wheels on cars... acid is one of Aluminum's weaknesses.

Chuck
cwbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:58 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
There are many trade-offs in life - I am sure you know this as you appear to be someone experienced in living. I was once told that I should not have a skylight as they will eventually leak. That is, for certain, a guarantee - as, eventually everything leaks. I have a roof over the rest of my house, and if it is not properly maintained (replaced or repaired) it will leak as it will not stand forever. The other option is not to not have a roof - I need a roof either way. I did not remove the skylight in my home, but did diligently examine the house for signs of a leak. If you want an Airstream, and have the funds, I say get one - they are nice.
ukulele2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:41 PM   #7
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We had some leakage with our first AS, but a couple of calking jobs by the AS mechanic later, and problem solved.

A huge eye-opener while we were in the RV shop was seeing Some Other Brand with its entire backside exterior removed, due to black mold that moisture had caused in the insulation. There's worse to get to.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
"For the price I would expect more."

Yep! True for far to many things these days!

Of note I had a while to kill one day last week and happened to be near SOB (starts with w )dealer, thought I'd just look for a little while for ideas. While the sales guy showed me around one of the trailers I noticed a good sized puddle on the counter near the stove, told him "she's got a leak", it had rained earlier.
Squares without a thousand rivets are easier to seal though.

Yep, they're all prone to leaks.

Stupidly expensive, yep by about 30% IMHO. But they are much nicer than SOB trailers. But the difference in niceness vs cost don't equate.

"I can’t even imagine how this could be. Airstream has been around for years and years. For the price I would expect more."
Makes two of us. It's managment and pride in craftsmanship. Could write a 100 pages on this.

Complex systems that tie you to campgrounds.
Same systems as any other SOB trailer. No more tied to a CG than any other trailer. Ground clearance can be a bit more limiting though.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Most AS are designed for at least limited boondocking, no need to be tied to a cg. Choose your model carefully for your needs, there are many variables. Good luck.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Between now and when you might be ready to buy learn as much about AS first hand. I had a SOB for 32 yrs, and it's roof leaked if I didn't reseal it every third year...and finally rotted out. Bought a 1990 AS in 2009, and it needed some floor work from previous leaks that had been fixed. Had one persistent leak near curb side front window by small table. Finally had JC (Jackson Center) reseal that whole area. Cost about $350 and now 0 leaks even in monsoon. Money well spent. When you arrive at hit-the-road time, make your decision then, and enjoy your granddaughters while you have them for now.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Yorkiebeebs. I have a 1978 31' international Airstream and I have had only one small leak at a vent a couple of years ago, nothing before or since and my trailer lives outside in Ontario Canada.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
The question is, who is it that's confused.....

YorkieBabe:

I didn't check to see what the date of your posting was, but this is at the bottom of the VERY first round of comments.

I've had four (4) ASs, a '72 Ambassador, a '74, an '82 Excella, and a 2002 Classic. The only one that DIDN'T leak (so far) is the 2002. The last owner was the second owner, my wife and I are the third. The trailer was originally bought new here in Houston. It was bought by it's #2 owner in about 2006-2008, and taken to NW Kentucky. I do know that #2 took fantastic care of it, including storing it inside a NICE, large metal building. He kept the temperature in the building above freezing all winter, and checked the seams (ALL the seams) every year, and (probably, just in case) recaulked it on a regular schedule. When I got it, the caulking was in very good shape all around. I've had it for about a year and a half, and the caulking will be redone this winter. And, it's kept covered.

And, the reason I got the first AS was the massive ceiling leak that ruined my first trailer (non-Airstream) with a VERY slow roof leak in a place that was not installed properly by the factory. It was totaled by the insurance company.

I don't know the history of the "other" thread that influenced you, so the basis of the opinions of that writer may or may not be sound. From the tone of what you took away from his/her postings, that writer seemed to me to be very concrete, and not particularly fair.

Since every person in this thread who said that 1) every trailer leaks. and that 2) coaches leak also, and that 3) houses leak also, are right down the pike, and their experiences track with mine, and about 6-8 close relatives who ALL are Airstreamers over the last FOUR decades (except one and he's coming around because he's put out with his non-Airstream's record of persistent leaks), I have to say that he/she is somewhat "biased".

Dunno the history of the writer in the "other" thread, but I'm strongly convinced that he/she may have been lax in seam maintenance.......

I wonder if he/she owns an airplane?
Kent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Neither of my Airstreams ever leaked ('89 and 96 Excella) Our SOB (can't say the name) leaked badly enough to rot.

We specifically bought Airstream because the units are better built than most slab sided Fiberglas on plywood SOB's that can't recover from a leak and the ensuing rot in the wood.

We live in Southern Ontario so it is not as cold as say Minnesota but -20 degrees F has never had any effect on the three Airstreams I have had use or ownership in

Cold is a red herring!

Some leak most do not. Those that do do not rot away....witness the numerous vintage units still in service 30 -60 years later ...Not many SOBs can claim that!
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Meyersdale , Pennsylvania
No leaks in an sob

Friends,
True Story: In 1994 We bought a new Nomad 27ft with bunk beds and queen in front. Towed it to Maine and back, then parked it in a campground outside for the next 12 years. Never, had a leak...anywere. That trailer was quality from Day One. Traded it in in 2006 for a larger model with a slide-out. (Prowler 31 foot). Guess what? shower leak, broken hinges on two doors, awning was hard to operate.

My point? Quality of new products is dismal at best (and I do not care what the brand is). Recently in a 2015 new AS...cheap plastic hinges on a small side table, a molding strip in the bedroom was unevenly installed, loose vent covers above my head. Poor design, there was a vent on the floor ( I assume it was for heat) when I entered the coach I stepped on it. Should never put vents where you walk. As my Latin teacher taught us.."let the buyer beware" Get educated. Talk to people that have AS and other brands. Good Luck.
dstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #15
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
No Leaks First Two Years

Knock on wood .... no leaks first two years with our 2014 Classic 27FB. Our plan for leaks is to have the trailer inspected once per year and resealed at the Jackson Center Airstream Center every three years. Like most things, buying quality combined with preventive maintenance will do the trick most of the time.

Conclusion: Don't let possible leaks be your reason for not buying an Airstream.

Hope this helps.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:39 AM   #16
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
We bought our first AS used from a dealer (Can-Am in London, Ontario.) It came with the dealer's one-year warranty. All kinds of things went wrong with it in year one, including having the rear cupboard work its way loose and fall on the bed somewhere in Wisconsin. But because we were under warranty, we didn't have to pay anything to have the problems (like afore mentioned leaks) fixed. After the first year, we had very few problems.

Our new AS also purchased from a dealer (Airstream of Spokane) has also had a few glitches, like a leaky toilet seal and a stuck lock on the back storage compartment, which just happened to have most of our hitch in it, while we were at a remote desert campsite. The claw hook on the awning broke. Because this unit is under warranty from AS, we didn't have to pay to have the problems fixed.

I'm a great believer in Murphy's Law as it applies to RVs and most things.

Which is why if you're concerned about repairs, it might be a good idea to shop at a dealer who will offer a one-year warranty, even if you purchase a used unit.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
There are really only two kinds of RVs. Those that leak and those that are going to leak. Vigilance and preventative maintenance are the best solutions.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
All RV's leak.
Stay on top of it.
Build a shelter.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Len N Jeanne, The I-94 in Wisconsin shook the 2 doors off my cupboards last year when I went across there on my way to YK. My AS doesn't have doors on the upper cupboards it has the roll up doors which I really like. I re hung my cupboard doors with piano hinges and put glue on the screws before putting them in.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #20
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Let's hope that stretch of road has since been repaved.

But I suspect having an RV is a lot like having (a) a swimming pool, (b) a boat, (c) a summer cabin, (d) I wouldn't know-- maybe a private plane??

There will usually be something the matter with it that needs repair.