Old 09-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #15
2014 27' FB Classic
Katy , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
No Leaks First Two Years

Knock on wood .... no leaks first two years with our 2014 Classic 27FB. Our plan for leaks is to have the trailer inspected once per year and resealed at the Jackson Center Airstream Center every three years. Like most things, buying quality combined with preventive maintenance will do the trick most of the time.

Conclusion: Don't let possible leaks be your reason for not buying an Airstream.

Hope this helps.

demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:39 AM   #16
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We bought our first AS used from a dealer (Can-Am in London, Ontario.) It came with the dealer's one-year warranty. All kinds of things went wrong with it in year one, including having the rear cupboard work its way loose and fall on the bed somewhere in Wisconsin. But because we were under warranty, we didn't have to pay anything to have the problems (like afore mentioned leaks) fixed. After the first year, we had very few problems.

Our new AS also purchased from a dealer (Airstream of Spokane) has also had a few glitches, like a leaky toilet seal and a stuck lock on the back storage compartment, which just happened to have most of our hitch in it, while we were at a remote desert campsite. The claw hook on the awning broke. Because this unit is under warranty from AS, we didn't have to pay to have the problems fixed.

I'm a great believer in Murphy's Law as it applies to RVs and most things.

Which is why if you're concerned about repairs, it might be a good idea to shop at a dealer who will offer a one-year warranty, even if you purchase a used unit.

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2001 25' Safari
Fair Oaks , California
There are really only two kinds of RVs. Those that leak and those that are going to leak. Vigilance and preventative maintenance are the best solutions.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
All RV's leak.
Stay on top of it.
Build a shelter.
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Len N Jeanne, The I-94 in Wisconsin shook the 2 doors off my cupboards last year when I went across there on my way to YK. My AS doesn't have doors on the upper cupboards it has the roll up doors which I really like. I re hung my cupboard doors with piano hinges and put glue on the screws before putting them in.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #20
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Let's hope that stretch of road has since been repaved.

But I suspect having an RV is a lot like having (a) a swimming pool, (b) a boat, (c) a summer cabin, (d) I wouldn't know-- maybe a private plane??

There will usually be something the matter with it that needs repair.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
"But I suspect having an RV is a lot like having (a) a swimming pool, (b) a boat, (c) a summer cabin, (d) I wouldn't know-- maybe a private plane??"

I had a sail boat..common knowledge was that a sail boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money.... and several swimming pools which I figure took about 100s hour per season for 2 or three hours of swimming.

I have had two AS; both 15 -20 years old at acquisition and neither of them cost as much as the sail boat in repairs and I spend a lot less time 'doing' around the AS than I needed to do on the swimming pool.
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
It's a camper, therefore it will leak. Like others said, the upside is that only the subfloor is likely to be damaged. Leaks, once you find them, can be sealed easily enough, and if ignored to point where a section of your floor rots, even that can be area can be repaired without too much trouble.

The utility systems aren't any more complex than what you'd find on another brand and connecting to campground utilities is easy enough once you have some experience. It will also be possible to go without hookups, until you run out of water or run down your batteries. While unplugged to shore power, you won't have any AC power (for air conditioning, microwave, or TV) unless you make some extensive modifications. My point being that hooking up to utilities may not even be necessary depending on where you stay and for how long.

About the price, I certainly can't afford a new one. That said, after the initial depreciation, the used ones seem to hold their value better than any other trailer. They certainly last longer than any other trailer and have that mystique that will lure in potential buyers.

When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Go get the oranges that you really want.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member
Northern Illinois , Illinois
Over the last ten years we have owned two new Airstreams (2005 classic 30 and 2008 classic 34). Neither leaked.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #24
The Sign Lady
1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Don't despair...

Don't get scared off, yes some leak, but with proper maintenance that can be kept at bay and if you have the skills to look at the internet and some basic tool knowledge anything can be fixed (or if you have the funds someone else can do it.) I am just above you on Vancouver island and with the three trailers I am restoring the two that came with leaks were because of lack of maintenance or in one case it was a faulty maintenance application.

With my latest renovation that will be for sale soon I had the skins off for almost a year watching for and repairing leaks... Hey, here's an could get a fixer upper one and tinker with it for a couple years and you can have it on the road for when the grandkids are older and think they are too cool to camp with you.

Granted we do get less rain than you do but still I think you should be able to find a perfectly sound one near you.

thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote