Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
I bought an Airstream so....

So I guess that means I am expected to be a salesman, a display model, and a member of this or that club or a welcome center for anyone who is interested in an Airstream or already owns one.

We have had our Airstream for a year now. I am still surprised by people assuming that our trailer is open to have people "take a look" or just because we bought the same brand trailer you have that means stop by our site whenever you would like to, no matter what time it maybe or what we may be doing.

Why is this acceptable? I would not stop by someone's house because "I've always wanted to see one".

Every campground we have been in that another Airstream was in, the owners have stopped by at least once during our stay. I don't understand why? My wife and I are active people with a very active dog, so we are usually only at the trailer for food or sleep. Owners have stopped by and told us "we stopped by a couple times earlier, but you weren't here". So we are eating dinner and these same people walk right up and start talking about "their trailer". How they bought this model or that one and how they don't think the configuration we bought was the best one, or tell us how "we didn't buy a new one because they are SO expensive". It just seems odd to me that there is some expectation that a choice to purchase a travel trailer is somehow an invitation to "our home" for anyone with an opinion or question about Airstream to stop by.

How do most of you handle these situations? We do not let anyone in our trailer for any reason. I tell people a dealer is the best place to get their questions answered and view display models. I try to politely explain that we are (eating breakfast,luch,dinner ect, or trying to start or day) and it is amazing that some people just will not take the hint and move on.

We have had people who "don't like dogs" stop to talk to us and complained because my dog was barking at them. I park the trailer and truck in a manner that you have to walk around 1 or both of them to get to our sitting area, but people still will. This is includes other Airstream owners. At on campground a membership chair from the local wally club stopped by our site 4 time in three days trying to get us to "just join and try it out" after being told on thank you but we are not interested.

Are we missing something thinking this is not acceptable or is at least strange behavior?

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Get a NO VISITORS sign.....or maybe a strip of CRIME SCENE yellow tape.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I'm not even sure how to respond to this ! I believe most of us Airstreamers enjoy the company of other Airstreamers . Obviously that statement doesn't apply to you., which is your business. However, I would never barge into some ones space, or campsite, or area. If a wave or comment about their AS didn't elicit a positive response, I'm moving on. We don't mind interaction with others in a campground, & in fact on our recent trip to Alaska & back, we met a lot of interesting, mostly nice folks, (not one of whom ever asked to see the inside) & I think that adds to the whole experience. You are correct though about the general lack of manners, which is obvious among the general populace. Maybe a sign posted at your campsite/area saying, well I don't even know what it would say. . . .'I vant to be alone'. . . Good Luck out there and Regards, Craig
Old 09-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
You bought an Airstream and inadvertently joined a cult.

In the two years we've owned our Airstream I've never had this "problem".

When we owned a Casita I was approached several times and volunteered to show them the interior. I didn't find it a big deal.

Kelvin
Old 09-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
Actually, you're between a rock and a hard place here. On the one hand you have the most popular/wanted/iconic, etc. camper on the market. On the other hand, you want to camp and enjoy peace and tranquility that camping offers. I get what you're saying, I actually encountered a gas station attendant that wanted to 'look inside' while I was filling my TV!

I think the most appropriate suggestion would be to have a Caution/Warning 'DOGS' sign made (maybe a couple) and place them in obvious approach paths. That way, you shouldn't offend any overly 'nice' camper that's just lacking in etiquette.

Having made this suggestion, the reality is you bought an AS and all of the 'celebrity' that comes with it - good or bad. Best of luck on your travels.
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Very odd. Had my airstream for a year and not had any problems. Most places we have camped people have kept to themselves. We try to stay at the inconvenient end of any campsite in the hope it is quieter and less busy. Usually works.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
yeah

to each his or her own, I love the interaction of visitors and am glad to show off my trailer. And I'm the guy who does say Hi, or wave to other Airstreamers in a campsite, and enjoy talking to whoever will engage. That being said, the reason I go mostly to Sate Parks is that I am there for the peace and quiet and nature. I am not looking for loud kids running around my campsite. It's a delicate balance, and manners play a keen part. I hope you get to enjoy your Airstream either way!
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
People dropping by does not bother me at all. They have always been polite and usually just stopped by to say hi. Apparently you are very sensitive to this and not really sure how to respond other then what I have said.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Enjoy the company and get over it!. life is to short to be this unfriendly.
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Haven't had this happen even once. I often have people commenting on the Bambi, saying how cute it is or didn't know airstream made one that small. But never had someone act as if they had a right to enter let alone even ask to look inside. Not sure why you're attracting so much attention but in your case maybe a sign is a good idea. Any possiblity you are misintrerpreting. Failsafe solution is get another trailer.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I like to show mine, but I am sometimes slow to catch on-
They don't always come right out and say they would like to take a look inside-
After they're gone, my wife says, "You know they wanted to look at the trailer."
I'm like, "No, I didn't realize that."
I'm slow.
Generally it is acceptable at a campsite to look if the occupants are outside and the door is open.
If there is no one outside or the door is closed, it is not acceptable/we are not receiving guests.
I still like looking at all the different kinds of rigs in the campground. Last weekend the most intriguing units were a well-done converted school bus and a pop-up that looked like an A-frame house or Swiss chalet. I never got a chance, or I would have toured both rigs.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Staying in the wrong places I guess? This does happen occasionally and if you didn't know before purchasing then you didn't do your AS research enough:-) I always introduce myself to my neighbors, no matter the rig, but if there is an AS insight I go out of my way to say hi. This is part of the majority of the AS culture and its been this way for a very very long time and hope it continues.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
Had mine almost a year and have not had any lookers.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
I believe people who buy/have an AS look for other AS people to enrich their experience of AS travel plus a great source of knowledge about AS.

During our summer trip we meet several other Airstreamer's and have become good friends.

We got a invite to attend the Region 9 rally in October which will have 130 AS in one place, lots of fun.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
At on campground a membership chair from the local wally club stopped by our site 4 time in three days trying to get us to "just join and try it out" after being told on thank you but we are not interested.

Are we missing something thinking this is not acceptable or is at least strange behavior?

Joe D
I can definitely agree with you on this one.
This person doesn't appear to be great at reading social clues.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We have been on several long trips and have actually enjoyed the interaction, for the most part, of other campers and Airstreamers. We have had some delightful conversations and met some really nice people. I don't remember anyone actually asking to see the inside, although we have offered a tour occasionally during a discussion. You can usually tell if someone doesn't want to be bothered and we are happy to leave them to their privacy and continue on down the way.

Most encounters are usually as we are setting up or breaking down camp. We have learned that if we have somewhere to be we try to exit the campground before 9 a.m., before the campground wakes up, in order to avoid what we call the "Airstream conversation." I know we are not going to make our time schedule if I look out the window and the hubs is surrounded by men holding their coffee cups.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1993 34' Excella
COVINGTON , rich patch road
For all those that have said that they don't mind the people stopping by.
THANK YOU. This is one reason I love the Airstream. New places and New Friends.
young or old I LOVE IT ALL. and can't wait for the next trip to do it all over again. So looking forward to Canopener, Just so I can make New Friends and keep the fun of owning one alive...
angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It is annoying when people stop by the house for a tour as we are trying to leave to go to the lake-
I sometimes give the tour anyway-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
People are generally very friendly and polite. They wave as they walk by or sometimes if we're outside, they will stop by and chat. We don't mind. In fact, we enjoy meeting new people. Often we will end up exchanging phone numbers and make plans to meet again!

If you really don't want the social interaction, I think posting a sign is a good idea. But I think the only thing a sign will do is keep out the nice people and you'll still get the rude visitors. When a person is rude, even a sign won't stop them.

Otherwise, just like any other social setting, learn to deal with them. Good Luck!
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Folks usually attracted to A/S's are usually like minded but not always of course. Non Airstreamers are usually on a wish trip when they approach you for a "look see". On the other hand, Airstreamers are always talking about their Airstreams and assume others like to do the same. We of the vintage crowd are often approached with the question "how old is it?" In case you haven't noticed yet, vintage owners are the snobs of the A/S crowd. We like to show others that our 48 year old coach really is original or show off the improvements we have made. When it is not convenient, we simply say "maybe some other time".....
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote