Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #141
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
We haven't attended Alumapalooza in a few years so I'm not familiar with the schedule of events for this year. Many times at rallies there is a period of open house in which you can see the inside of many trailers/RVs. Otherwise, even at Alumapalooza and similar events, I wouldn't expect to strike up conversations and tour another's RV. It's difficult to attend a rally as a "day person." Much of a rally involves meeting people and hanging out but not simply making cold calls on people you haven't already met or seen at seminars, happy hours, etc.
Yeah, most of Alumapalooza was full of events for "schmoozing" with other Airstream owners, but there were two afternoons at the end of the week that were open to day guests. I thought perhaps more people would be willing to give tours during that time, but the reverse seemed to be the case.

I didn't make this post to complain about reclusive Airstream owners, though I was disappointed to miss seeing a couple of trailers that I really wanted to see. The point was that even at a "social" Airstream event you can still find people who don't want to be social, at least some of the time. And like I said, I really appreciated those who gave us a tour and lots of helpful advice. I just think that some people are more social than others, and it's true of Airstream owners just like everybody else. At this point I wouldn't expect an Airstream owner at a campground to be any more or less welcoming of random guests than owners of other RVs.
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I have never asked to see the inside of any rig, Airstream or not.

But if I did, I would have to assess the situation first. A young family or dink couple - I would never ask because their R & R time together is a rare commodity.

As to whether or not to knock on any doors at a "social" gathering like Alumapalooza, some signage would help, i.e. "Open for Tours - noon - 4 pm." Or, "No Tours - sorry."
Old 07-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #143

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I bought an Airstream so....

We set aside time at the forums Moraine View rally for optional trailer tours. Having a slide out is somewhat uncommon so I'm used to folks coming by if they see us outside. The AirFourms decals have sometimes been seen by other forum members which has led to some visits. I remember a couple in Door County Wi who just bought a new Airstream and came over to visit when they saw the decal. When I introduced myself they chuckled and noted that they were carrying some printed forum posts from me.

All in all I'm used to meeting folks as they pass by. I had a HI-Lo that used to also generate a lot of interest.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:50 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
Yeah, most of Alumapalooza was full of events for "schmoozing" with other Airstream owners, but there were two afternoons at the end of the week that were open to day guests. I thought perhaps more people would be willing to give tours during that time, but the reverse seemed to be the case.

I didn't make this post to complain about reclusive Airstream owners, though I was disappointed to miss seeing a couple of trailers that I really wanted to see. The point was that even at a "social" Airstream event you can still find people who don't want to be social, at least some of the time. And like I said, I really appreciated those who gave us a tour and lots of helpful advice. I just think that some people are more social than others, and it's true of Airstream owners just like everybody else. At this point I wouldn't expect an Airstream owner at a campground to be any more or less welcoming of random guests than owners of other RVs.
The truth is, too, that a lot of people...Airstream owners, and otherwise...are somewhat fearful of strangers. Period.

Many don't want to talk with strangers, much less open a door and allow them to look inside their rigs.

Maggie
Old 07-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The forums...
You get to a rally and people already know you, but by your handle rather than your given name...
"Oh yeah, I read your post on such and such."
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #146
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
Are we missing something thinking this is not acceptable or is at least strange behavior?

Joe D

Its quite possible - but it depends on you, maybe not!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #147
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
"Tours available if we're in the mood. Bringing a good bottle of wine will improve your odds."

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:41 AM   #148
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
I think we Airstream owners are generally very nice, interesting people, but like any group of people, some are more extroverted, others more private, and some days are better than others. Our AS is our home when we are away from home, and my wife doesn't want to "show' our AS if the dishes are waiting to be done, or a meal is in preparation, or Sasha's kitty fur needs vacuuming. Many of our neighbors at home have said if it's ever possible, they would love to see our AS up close. Often we take them right to it, but sometimes if we are busy we suggest finding a time later.

I think we project too many expectations on other people, often at higher levels than we ourselves would wish to function. That said, we often pick up on people's interest in our AS in campgrounds, and ask if they would like to see the inside. And at AS rallies that happens a lot, even with similar models. We have gotten wonderful ideas for our 1990 Excella 29' by seeing the inside of similar models, and what others have done. Its fun to share great ideas.

At Lewisburg WBCCI the Vintage area had signs that said OPEN on one side and CLOSED on the other, and there was a time for tours of all AS with an OPEN. It was absolutely fascinating.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:00 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasr View Post
At Lewisburg WBCCI the Vintage area had signs that said OPEN on one side and CLOSED on the other, and there was a time for tours of all AS with an OPEN. It was absolutely fascinating.
I like this idea.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:14 AM   #150
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think the Canopener rally in January every year at Topsail Hill Beach in Santa Rosa Beach, FL is basically for tours of trailers on Saturday afternoon.
I think the name comes from opening their aluminum cans to show others.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #151
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I pur. first AS in1963 still cont. owner but left left all Wally Byum functions in 1970 as it became snobbish and doesn't look like much has changed over the yrs. Yes I have made friendships since. Attend 3 or 4 forum rallys none of people are snobbish but like stated above many WBBCI members still are.
You do realize that Alumapolluza is not a WBCCI rally, right?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #152
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The last Tin Can tourist get together I was at, at the time set aside for walk through, one member had a cooler full of free beer. At these events the club charges outside people a small fee to tour the trailers. The money goes to a local charity. There are specific times set aside and it is not mandatory, although most members decorate to show off. A different way to look at it.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #153
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Have always wanted to go to a Tin Can Tourist rally just to see different trailers. Hopefully this year! When we camped in our Argosy people were always curious about it & I liked to let folks look it.
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #154
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
We pulled into a rest area on I 90 in Pa. and a tour bus full of Koreans that we had just passed a few miles before pulled in beside us. One guy came over because he wanted to meet the brave lady who had been driving. It blew his mind that my DW Laura was at the wheel. Laura invited him in for a look around tour as he had never seen such a thing before. Wouldn't you know the whole bus wanted to see the rig. many photos were taken. Lots of thumbs up signs given. We were having a break from driving and enjoying our coffee. It was fun and we did not feel imposed upon.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:37 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Tourist tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
We pulled into a rest area on I 90 in Pa. and a tour bus full of Koreans that we had just passed a few miles before pulled in beside us. One guy came over because he wanted to meet the brave lady who had been driving. It blew his mind that my DW Laura was at the wheel. Laura invited him in for a look around tour as he had never seen such a thing before. Wouldn't you know the whole bus wanted to see the rig. many photos were taken. Lots of thumbs up signs given. We were having a break from driving and enjoying our coffee. It was fun and we did not feel imposed upon.
Now that's something you will never forget or regret - very nice!
Old 07-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Quote:

Very nice of you ...

2017 27FB FC
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Guess I was born lucky. Most folks tend to avoid me for some reason.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #158
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have always enjoyed showing off the trailer and just plain talking about RVing in general.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #159
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calary , Alberta
Quote:

That's awesome!! It was probably a highlight for their holiday and maybe yours too. Love hearing stories like this. The world is just too nasty and it's nice to hear "human" stories like this. Thanks so much for sharing
LifeinaTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #160
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St Charles , Missouri
You should have an Avion. We get all of the Airstream people wanting to look at the difference (a lot of who comment the Avion is built better), fellow Avion owners, Avion/Airstream potential owners, as well as all of the curious people wanting to know what year it is.

But we enjoy it, have met a lot of nice people. Love the rally tours so we get to see other trailers, but we usually miss seeing a bunch while showing ours off or striking up conversation with fellow owners. This is our second Avion, looked at a ton of Airstreams at dealers, and have looked online at floor plans/trailers for years. So the vintage and modified ones peak my interest more.
Texfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote