Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
M Honey you are correct. It's like we take on the social media persona instead. I almost feel bad when I say no that's not my real name.

)

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #122
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I had a guy call me #13 the other day....
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #123
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
I agree with the "to each his/her own" way of thinking. I do find it strange that even amongst those on this site, there appears to be a pecking order. There is the "vintage" people who even call themselves AS snobs and there are those that have the new models that appear to insult others that are renovating their ASs and using them at the same time, just because they may/may not over time put a lot of money into them. I think folks get ASs for many reasons and it should be a "to each his/her own" thing. I thank God that I'm able to have an AS in any condition, as I'm lucky to be alive after a couple of roadside bombs in 2008. I've always loved ASs, even as a kid and after RVing for many years just said WTF and bought an old but "new-to-me" 1989 AS. She is something I always wanted and will enjoy no matter what the monetary cost and appreciate every minute of it! So, who really cares how your fellow RVer acts as long as they aren't threatening/disturbing anyone, just enjoy yourself, respect other people and have a great day!!!
Regards,
James
Easyrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
M Honey you are correct. It's like we take on the social media persona instead. I almost feel bad when I say no that's not my real name.

)

It is also funny that the people in our WBCCI unit don't know about 'Forums and aren't interested.
I don't look at them as rival clubs. I think it's OK to be in both.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:10 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Airstreamers come in all shapes, sizes, and personalities. Unless we are going to some sort of rally, we never see another Airstream when we are camping, which creates some curiosity among other campers. We're happy to oblige that interest. On the road, we've been at a gas pump, had another Airstream pull up next to us, and never got a glance or wave from the driver. OTOH, at a rest stop in the middle of Minnesota, had another Airstream pull up in a spot near us, and the owner made a point of saying hi. Life is like a box of chocolates..................fortunately, I enjoy chocolates.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #126
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We may have a newer AS (can't call it new anymore, I guess), but we know it's because we aren't handy enough to restore / remodel / renovate an elder statesman of a trailer. We're constantly amazed and inspired by what people have been able to do with their trailers, while we mostly just do the best we can not to mess up the one we have.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #127
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
Enjoy the company and get over it!. life is to short to be this unfriendly.

What I wanted to say 👍👍
LifeinaTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Canadians must be more reserved - am seldom asked for a tour - heaven forbid the cost.

However, the couple from the UK and rented Class C beside me at one campground asked for a tour. The kitchen was a mess, as I had just hosted a dinner party for a couple of friends (who had already left).

When I apologized for the mess, the woman wanted to know what I cooked for dinner! Since I am a foodie, peeled-off the entire menu in chronological order:
- vodka pasta
- caesar salad with shaved/fried parmesan
- honeyed champagne grapefruit granita
- steak with grilled tomatoes, asparagus, and potato-chive waffles
- blackberry/Grand Marnier shortcake
- coffee with Belgium dark-chocolate stir spoon

She looked a little shocked, as if I cook like this every day while Airstreaming.

I don't! This was just a special little dinner party.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #129
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
I went to Alumapalooza in Jackson Center, Ohio for the first time this summer - as a visitor, not an owner. My impression before going was that Airstreamers were a friendly bunch who were happy to show off their trailers, especially at an Airstream-specific event like Alumapalooza!

I couldn't have been more wrong. I saw lots of trailers that I wanted to peek inside, but when greeting the owner or complimenting them on their trailer we were usually given the cold shoulder. Most simply nodded and turned away. Some ignored us completely.

Out of the hundred or so trailers there, I wanted to look into about a dozen of them, but only two of their owners were willing to talk to us. Those two owners were very kind and enthusiastic, and I really appreciate their efforts to educate a newbie. However, I was really surprised by the response from the other 10 or so who couldn't be bothered.

Personally, I'm not very sociable. If we ever get an Airstream I plan on showing it to some enthusiastic Airstream fans, but I'm sure there will be times when I just don't feel like it. Rather than an outright refusal, I'll be sure to have some good excuses lined up - the mess, someone is sleeping inside, etc. My personal favorite excuse so far will be "I'm sorry but one of the cats just dropped a bomb and you do NOT want to go in there!"
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Canadians must be more reserved - am seldom asked for a tour - heaven forbid the cost.

However, the couple from the UK and rented Class C beside me at one campground asked for a tour. The kitchen was a mess, as I had just hosted a dinner party for a couple of friends (who had already left).

When I apologized for the mess, the woman wanted to know what I cooked for dinner! Since I am a foodie, peeled-off the entire menu in chronological order:
- vodka pasta

She looked a little shocked, as if I cook like this every day while Airstreaming.

Wow, FaN!

That's a fine and expensive restaurant menu!

Pictures would have been nice....you used to post pictures of your culinary creations.

Maggie
Old 07-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
I went to Alumapalooza in Jackson Center, Ohio for the first time this summer - as a visitor, not an owner. My impression before going was that Airstreamers were a friendly bunch who were happy to show off their trailers, especially at an Airstream-specific event like Alumapalooza!

I couldn't have been more wrong. I saw lots of trailers that I wanted to peek inside, but when greeting the owner or complimenting them on their trailer we were usually given the cold shoulder. Most simply nodded and turned away. Some ignored us completely.

Out of the hundred or so trailers there, I wanted to look into about a dozen of them, but only two of their owners were willing to talk to us. Those two owners were very kind and enthusiastic, and I really appreciate their efforts to educate a newbie. However, I was really surprised by the response from the other 10 or so who couldn't be bothered.

Personally, I'm not very sociable. If we ever get an Airstream I plan on showing it to some enthusiastic Airstream fans, but I'm sure there will be times when I just don't feel like it. Rather than an outright refusal, I'll be sure to have some good excuses lined up - the mess, someone is sleeping inside, etc. My personal favorite excuse so far will be "I'm sorry but one of the cats just dropped a bomb and you do NOT want to go in there!"
Now that's disappointing.

We have never been approached by anyone we feared in the least, also have rarely turned down a request to see the inside...only if we were in a hurry.

Why not spread the joy?

Maggie
Old 07-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Sometimes the visitors wanting to tour the Airstream are not direct or I don't catch on.
After they leave my wife tells me they wanted to see inside the trailer.
They never said that.
Oh well.
If I think you want a tour-
If I have the time- some people want a tour at the time we need to be getting on the road-
By all means, come inside and look at my beautiful trailer!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post

I pur. first AS in1963 still cont. owner but left left all Wally Byum functions in 1970 as it became snobbish and doesn't look like much has changed over the yrs. Yes I have made friendships since. Attend 3 or 4 forum rallys none of people are snobbish but like stated above many WBBCI members still are.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:44 PM   #134
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:

- vodka pasta

WOW! I want to camp with FlyAtNight!! If you a see 34 ft AS flag me down! I'll buy the food if you cook!

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Maggie, I used to post pictures of food, until I got into the gourmet-food business (if that makes sense - would be akin to a bus driver posting pictures of a bus while on holiday). The champagne/grapefruit granita was a real hit, and looked just like this. (Not my picture). I thought it would be a nice palate cleanser after the garlicky caesar salad.

skitique, sounds good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	champagne granita.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	266604  
Old 07-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #136
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
-- snip -- couple from the UK and rented Class C beside me at one campground asked for a tour. -- snip --
Was she a blond and was her husband a bit elderly? We met such a couple in Banff NP at the Lake Louise camp ground, She liked the C, he wanted an AS. They asked a lot of questions. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Was she a blond and was her husband a bit elderly? We met such a couple in Banff NP at the Lake Louise camp ground, She liked the C, he wanted an AS. They asked a lot of questions. Pat
PKI, no. She had light brown hair and her husband was not elderly (late 40s - early 50s).

Many Brits/Europeans/Australians rent RVs and tour BC/Alberta. There has been a recent scandal, i.e. tour and RV rental companies have been reserving huge chunks of our provincial campsites then reselling to these RV tourists at a profit.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #138
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Mission Viejo , California
Attention getter...

Before I purchased my vintage Airstream Argosy MH, I camped in a cartop tent. That's right, a tent that is mounted to the roof rack of an SUV. I had several models, but the one that attracted the most attention had a bottom floor room with bunkbeds and a ladder leading to the upstairs loft - a two story tent! I could park next to Hugh Hefner's rolling Playboy mansion, and I would still get more attention. The kids and I enjoyed showing our canvas palace. If we were just sitting down to dinner, we'd ask the inquisitor to come back later. Campground camping is a social hobby. To avoid attention, I'd boondock or camp up at my own property, or camp in a lower profile vehicle. My vintage Argosy attracts attention, but not even close to what we had in the cartop tent.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	266615  
cdufault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #139
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I guess I have the "grumpy guy on the corner" sign over my head or something but we are very seldom imposed upon by other campers regarding our RV. Once in a while we're asked a question about the age, do they still make those and other basic questions. A few times the conversation evolves into a more lengthy discussion. Less than a handful of times in nearly 15 years has the conversation become "show me yours and I'll show you mine" and when it has it was a mutual agreement.

We have WBCCI numbers on our trailer so I guess that avoids some of the issues the OP mentioned about joining the club.

When we see other Airstreams in campgrounds we don't go out of our way to impose on the owners. If they're outside and we make eye contact that's one thing - we may strike up a conversation. Otherwise we leave them alone and vice-versa.

We haven't attended Alumapalooza in a few years so I'm not familiar with the schedule of events for this year. Many times at rallies there is a period of open house in which you can see the inside of many trailers/RVs. Otherwise, even at Alumapalooza and similar events, I wouldn't expect to strike up conversations and tour another's RV. It's difficult to attend a rally as a "day person." Much of a rally involves meeting people and hanging out but not simply making cold calls on people you haven't already met or seen at seminars, happy hours, etc.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:44 AM   #140
D44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
You could get a couple of these garden gnomes -
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	284.8 KB