Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #85
Agent 86
 
J. Morgan's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,399
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I've always thought that Airstreamers were pretty adept at reading others body language, non verbal cues and the like. I don't think I'm bipolar but sometimes I fell like being friendly and sometimes don't.
I can usually tell if someone wants to give a quick tour or not just by making eye contact and a giving a friendly little smile. If you look away or turn around I'm not going to bother you.
I expect the same courtesy in return.



Bingo!

Body language is easy enough to read, and to project. I think I am pretty much an expert on both accounts.

Likely if I walked up on the original poster of this thread it wouldn't take me ten words to figure out that we have nothing to talk about..... Ever... Just sayin...

In 2 1/2 years I have given lots of tours, and taken a few. I have enjoyed all of them.

If I had the mind to it is easy enough to say politely say "now is not a good time", or "I would love to talk but I am really in a hurry, I am running late as it is", etc, etc.

Frankly I am beyond the stage where I care if a person likes me or not, but common courtesy should be extended up front even if a fellow camper might be a little pushy.




Brevi tempore!
__________________

__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:16 AM   #86
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Bingo!

Body language is easy enough to read, and to project. I think I am pretty much an expert on both accounts.
(Snip)
If I had the mind to it is easy enough to say politely say "now is not a good time", or "I would love to talk but I am really in a hurry, I am running late as it is", etc, etc.
(Snip)

It's good to have that skill and it's something to be thankful for. Some are less capable in that area whether due to physical issues (e.g., Autism anywhere on the scale), psychological issues or different social upbringing/conditioning in their family unit. Whatever the reason, it's likely we've all experienced interactions with folks who lack the kind of awareness and sensitivity to the "subtle" cues - or even blunt ones - that seem natural to most of us and usually protect our boundaries.

If the OP doesn't wish to engage, so be it. There is no requirement to do so.

Personally, 80% of the time I love meeting folks through my ownership of an Airstream. We've had some fun encounters at campgrounds, rest stops, the storage yard and filling stations. I feel it sort of comes with the territory. The times it bugs me are when I'm in the middle of setting up or tearing down - especially at a campsite because I figure no matter what you tow, you should know folks need to concentrate on what they're doing in that moment.

Still - a small price to pay in my opinion. The world is full of fascinating people (like me &#128515. I want to meet them! My Airstream increases those odds dramatically - it's a great conversation starter.
__________________

__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:15 AM   #87
Rivet Master
 
paiceman's Avatar

 
2017 30' Classic
Some City , Somewhere
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,303
Images: 1
I usually do not have people into our AS when they stop by. Some ask and some look like they want to ask, I simply say it's a mess and the dog(s) are sleeping. Yep, added a second Labrador to our family so now we have two. Ours is two, the new one is four and half and going on her first camping trip ever in the AS for ten days this week.

I do talk to anyone about our AS, at anytime. We like the AS, like camping and if someone is curious and interested enough to ask questions I'll answer, actually enjoy it. Much to my wife's surprise.
__________________
SAFE TRAVELS
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:04 AM   #88
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post

. . . actually enjoy it. Much to my wife's surprise.
Ditto!
__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:11 AM   #89
Agent 86
 
J. Morgan's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,399
Images: 11
<<<"It's good to have that skill and it's something to be thankful for. Some are less capable in that area whether due to physical issues (e.g., Autism anywhere on the scale), psychological issues or different social upbringing/conditioning in their family unit. ">>>

I agree, but at the same time we all have things we need to work on and improve. I used to be painfully introverted, casual conversation skills are something that did not come naturally to me, it is something I still work at even though I am in many ways an extrovert now.

Imagine what we could become if we all worked at identifying our weaknesses and worked at improving them?


Brevi tempore!
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #90
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
<<<"It's good to have that skill and it's something to be thankful for. Some are less capable in that area whether due to physical issues (e.g., Autism anywhere on the scale), psychological issues or different social upbringing/conditioning in their family unit. ">>>

I agree, but at the same time we all have things we need to work on and improve. I used to be painfully introverted, casual conversation skills are something that did not come naturally to me, it is something I still work at even though I am in many ways an extrovert now.

Imagine what we could become if we all worked at identifying our weaknesses and worked at improving them?


Brevi tempore!
I really dislike that attitude about modern society. That being an introvert is a negative attribute and being an extrovert is what to "strive for". Who decides that it is some "flaw" that needs to be "worked" on?

Sorry, some people really just don't care that you bought your Airstream in 1976, that you have seven grand-children and certainly don't want you trampling through their trailer.

Also, being shy is completely different than being introverted. Just like being obnoxious isn't always linked to being extroverted.


Reminds me of George Carlin:

__________________
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #91
Agent 86
 
J. Morgan's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,399
Images: 11
Well, having been an introvert, (or shy if you prefer) I say it was a handicap. You don't have to agree with me though. We can hold different opinions on many things.

What I do say is that it takes no special skill or intellect to be obnoxious, so I endeavor to avoid it.


Brevi tempore!
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #92
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Well, having been an introvert, (or shy if you prefer) I say it was a handicap. You don't have to agree with me though. We can hold different opinions on many things.

What I do say is that it takes no special skill or intellect to be obnoxious, so I endeavor to avoid it.


Brevi tempore!
Well if you say you couldn't hold a conversation with someone, that has nothing to do with being an introvert. Some of the most well spoken and intelligent people in the world are introverts.
__________________
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Dexter , Maine
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 109
This has turned into an interesting display of opinions. I asked how other people handle what I felt was uncomfortable and in some instances rude behavior. I stated I responded to people as politely as possible when asked about the Airstream, I said this because I was raised to be a polite person. I have been camping since I was 6yrs old. My Mother and Father had rules “You treat someone’s camper and their site like it was their home, because for the time they here it is”. This meant you did not wander into their site unless invited or you asked for their permission when they are out and about and not involved in something else. “Don’t pester people”. You never went onto peoples sites if they were not “home”.
I asked about peoples experience because I find myself engage in a conversation with people who are not polite and don’t understand how to take a hint like “we were just sitting down to dinner”, “We have had long day and just looking to relax” or the like, after talking to them for 30 or more minutes and having nothing left to talk about. Common courtesy and politeness, appears to not be so common.
It is odd that simply wanting to go about our business in private has somehow angered people. That we find our time together more important than talking to people we don’t know, about something that is not very important to us.
We are very private people, but why does that get such a visceral response from some people. We are very polite, respect full and honorable people. Both of us are former military and understand respect and integrity. The idea that some posts had to be removed by the moderators, for what I understand were inappropriate post, is incredible. Because we wish to have a different experience than others shouldn’t be viewed as an assault on your lifestyle or your choices.
I simple did not expect that a purchase decision, we made for our own reasons, would have come with a certain amount of entitlement on other peoples part ,that we are somehow a member of some cult that everyone who purchases an Airstream becomes part of.
I will not be responding further to this thread. I appreciate everyone’s input. Thank You for the education.
Joe D
__________________
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #94
Agent 86
 
J. Morgan's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,399
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Well if you say you couldn't hold a conversation with someone, that has nothing to do with being an introvert. Some of the most well spoken and intelligent people in the world are introverts.

As was I.


Brevi tempore!
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:50 PM   #95
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
This has turned into an interesting display of opinions. I asked how other people handle what I felt was uncomfortable and in some instances rude behavior. I stated I responded to people as politely as possible when asked about the Airstream, I said this because I was raised to be a polite person. I have been camping since I was 6yrs old. My Mother and Father had rules “You treat someone’s camper and their site like it was their home, because for the time they here it is”. This meant you did not wander into their site unless invited or you asked for their permission when they are out and about and not involved in something else. “Don’t pester people”. You never went onto peoples sites if they were not “home”.
I asked about peoples experience because I find myself engage in a conversation with people who are not polite and don’t understand how to take a hint like “we were just sitting down to dinner”, “We have had long day and just looking to relax” or the like, after talking to them for 30 or more minutes and having nothing left to talk about. Common courtesy and politeness, appears to not be so common.
It is odd that simply wanting to go about our business in private has somehow angered people. That we find our time together more important than talking to people we don’t know, about something that is not very important to us.
We are very private people, but why does that get such a visceral response from some people. We are very polite, respect full and honorable people. Both of us are former military and understand respect and integrity. The idea that some posts had to be removed by the moderators, for what I understand were inappropriate post, is incredible. Because we wish to have a different experience than others shouldn’t be viewed as an assault on your lifestyle or your choices.
I simple did not expect that a purchase decision, we made for our own reasons, would have come with a certain amount of entitlement on other peoples part ,that we are somehow a member of some cult that everyone who purchases an Airstream becomes part of.
I will not be responding further to this thread. I appreciate everyone’s input. Thank You for the education.
Joe D
Joe, well said.
__________________
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:00 AM   #96
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,584
Well said Joe. You, are entitled to and deserve your privacy.
__________________
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
olympia , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
This has turned into an interesting display of opinions. I asked how other people handle what I felt was uncomfortable and in some instances rude behavior. I stated I responded to people as politely as possible when asked about the Airstream, I said this because I was raised to be a polite person. I have been camping since I was 6yrs old. My Mother and Father had rules “You treat someone’s camper and their site like it was their home, because for the time they here it is”. This meant you did not wander into their site unless invited or you asked for their permission when they are out and about and not involved in something else. “Don’t pester people”. You never went onto peoples sites if they were not “home”.
I asked about peoples experience because I find myself engage in a conversation with people who are not polite and don’t understand how to take a hint like “we were just sitting down to dinner”, “We have had long day and just looking to relax” or the like, after talking to them for 30 or more minutes and having nothing left to talk about. Common courtesy and politeness, appears to not be so common.
It is odd that simply wanting to go about our business in private has somehow angered people. That we find our time together more important than talking to people we don’t know, about something that is not very important to us.
We are very private people, but why does that get such a visceral response from some people. We are very polite, respect full and honorable people. Both of us are former military and understand respect and integrity. The idea that some posts had to be removed by the moderators, for what I understand were inappropriate post, is incredible. Because we wish to have a different experience than others shouldn’t be viewed as an assault on your lifestyle or your choices.
I simple did not expect that a purchase decision, we made for our own reasons, would have come with a certain amount of entitlement on other peoples part ,that we are somehow a member of some cult that everyone who purchases an Airstream becomes part of.
I will not be responding further to this thread. I appreciate everyone’s input. Thank You for the education.
Joe D
Well said. I like my solitude at times and I find that as I get older and with two years left to retire from military service most of my entire life, I want some time for myself. I want to be able to enjoy what is out there on my own time and terms.

This has been a very interesting thread and I am a bit amazed of some of the comments made here. Its a good thing that the moderators came in and reminded everyone on how to treat and respond in the forum.

I own a BMW motorcycle and I occasionally get the "I did not know BMW made motorcycles!" I tell them they sure do and to go to google if they need more info while I continue to go on with my business.

I am not sure how I will react when I get my AS but if I ever attend a rally, I will not be giving open houses or tours for anyone to go see the inside of my AS. That is my space. If you want to see the inside of one, go to a dealer. I have several coworkers that own Airstreams and I have not asked them to let me see the inside. I go to the site or go to a dealer to look at one. The only way they are going inside is if they are the AS owner and they hold the tittle to it. Some people lack respect.

Everyone deserves their space and privacy. I thank the Dexterpix for starting this thread as it has given me many ideas as what signs to make when I get my AS. Some are rather comical. Cheers.
__________________
Xicaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #98
Rivet Master
 
Gsmblue's Avatar
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 550
Maybe time for the mods to close this thread?

Joe - Loved your last post, you have acquitted yourself well. Happy travels!!
__________________

__________________
http://britishairstream.blogspot.com
Mad Astrophysicist turned sales guy that works to fund his dirty snowbaording habbit, mwah-ha-ha . . .
Gsmblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just bought 1966 Airstream looking for value CEDavis 1966 Overlander 6 07-28-2005 06:54 PM
Anyone Bought from California Airstream? Ron C Commercial Listings 1 04-19-2005 10:45 PM
5-year search ends. Bought my first Airstream! Silver Our Community 9 04-29-2003 05:35 PM
I bought an Airstream... now what? Swingking General Repair Forum 8 04-16-2003 07:52 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.