Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #101
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy2 View Post
am thinking of going out this October first time and am a little anxious. guess I should research and mark a map for my happy trails
Get a 'rubber chicken', paint it like a Flamingo and hang it off your awning... when PETA shows up say "Hey, it is almost Halloween!"
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #102
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Smile

When ya see the Tundra with "GUHOR" license plate (Russian, "I'm in the dark") pulling our 2006 Bambi, 19'er, please stop on by, ya hear? Especially if ya wanna help find my leak. Why do people own Airstreams? Why do people own Labrador Retrievers? Because they are a rare breed..mostly great people.....
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The only reason I don't give Airstream tours is the resident traveling doggie pack is just too territorial. The AS is their home, and they defend it loudly. Pom/chihuahua mixes are that way, and they are always with us.

But, hey, if we're outside and not busy, we love to talk about Airstream adventures and related subjects. Hopefully the doggets won't get too loud...

Would I barge into someone else's campsite and insist on a conversation? Absolutely not. It's not polite or reasonable to act like that. I do insist on 'common courtesy' at all times.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:39 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Each to their own, I'm the exact opposite ! I LOVE Airstreams and showing others my rig if they're interested. I'd never barge onto someone's site unless we'd made eye contact and exchanged a smile or whatever.
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #105
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Joe,
I do feel for your problem as I've had some very friendly folks say hi, and its happened when I've had some "issues" on the road and just want to set up and relax. However, I did look them up and apologize for my unfriendliness. I think most campers regardless of brand like to look at other brands to see the new or interesting styles/equipment or just talk to you because you come from a certain state. My wife and I have had a few RVs and like to talk to folks and hear their travel experiences. I think AS's are a special brand and they draw attention. Hope you fare well in your travels and don't ever, ever, ever drive an H-D Electraglide with your service dog in the sidecar and a hot blond on the passenger's seat , you get questioned and photographed at every stoplight/sign... My cross to bear...
Regards,
James-USA(ret.)
Rebecca-USAF
Easyrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Unfortunately, RVers tend to be a sociable lot and fellow Airstreamers are among the worst, often mistakenly wanting to share a perceived common passion. Go to a local sign shop and have a few signs made up that state in big bold red letters:

LEAVE US ALONE - GO AWAY!

These signs should suffice to lets others know you are not in a sociable mood. Other signs to post might include:

DANGER - VICIOUS ATTACK DOG

STAY OUT - QUARANTINED AREA

DANGER - CDC EBOLA TEST SITE

WE HATE PEOPLE - THAT INCLUDES YOU

WARNING - LEGIONNAIRES' DISEASE

OUR PET RATS CARRY THE PLAGUE

VISITORS NOT WELCOMED - GOODBYE!

Hopefully these few helpful examples will get you thinking about other possible signs to discourage busybodies, the curious, gladhanders, insurance salesmen, noisy folks and just plain well-wishers from pestering you. Good luck finding solitude with an Airstreram in any RV park.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Most people meet us in the middle of the road and strike up a conversation.
Then, I might invite them for a tour- if I have time/not doing anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
To each his or her own ... social is defined by the individual ...not everyone wants to socialize.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #109
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Sounds like a horrible problem....
Maybe dump the Airstream, buy a cookie cutter type RV and enjoy a non social experience!

I own a couple Aston Martin autos, nothing pisses me off more than other owners chatting it up about our rare cars.
It's a birds of a feather kind of thing!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
To each his or her own ... social is defined by the individual ...not everyone wants to socialize.

Then don't go to a state park or corps park on the weekend- a most social atmosphere-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #111
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We get looky-loos all the time when we camp. For us it's part of the fun, and we enjoy meeting folks interested in Airstreams. Owning an Airstream is also a nifty way to get someone with a cool vintage trailer to talk to us and maybe show us their unit!

When the question of "how much" inevitably comes up, I just tell them Airstream's been making trailers for 80 years, so the real question is how much they want to pay up front and how much sweat equity they want to put into the deal. If they aren't handy or don't want to roll up the sleeves much, it's gonna cost more to get into one. Maybe they could score one that's gently used, oh 2-5 years old. If they are handy and into a restoration or renovation, they can get into an older Airstream at a great starting price and then build it up from there. We've seen some beautiful vintage units! By the time I'm done with this spiel, they forget they asked how much I paid for my trailer, and we're talking about stuff that's a lot more interesting.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Some interaction with other campers is positive, some is negative.
At the dump station, the guy behind me- "How you like that Airstream with no slides?"
Another guy a fee weeks ago- a former Airstreamer who owns a Jayco now- "You still enjoying your Airstream with no slides?"

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #113
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Really I can not believe this thread. It is obvious to me, that most of the streamers on here are or have had a different life than most people. Most have worked in a non social enviroment, do not know to function or ever function in any social settings and quite frankly, if I ever come across any streamers or SOB campers and get the the cold shoulder when saying hi,, i will not waste my breath or time with such people. I have had many custom harleys, and the expectation is that you hope in a selfish way that you are complimented on your bike. I have and will never swoosh someone away. You bought the airstream for the attention. If you can not handle the attention, buy a tent. By the way, any streamer that I have met and said hi to, was polite, asked them how they enjoyed the streamer, said great, I have never asked to look inside, they have usually invited me in for a quickie lookie. So people lighten up and enjoy what time we have left on this planet.
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:59 AM   #114
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flht2k View Post
Really I can not believe this thread. It is obvious to me, that most of the streamers on here are or have had a different life than most people. Most have worked in a non social enviroment, do not know to function or ever function in any social settings and quite frankly, if I ever come across any streamers or SOB campers and get the the cold shoulder when saying hi,, i will not waste my breath or time with such people. I have had many custom harleys, and the expectation is that you hope in a selfish way that you are complimented on your bike. I have and will never swoosh someone away. You bought the airstream for the attention. If you can not handle the attention, buy a tent. By the way, any streamer that I have met and said hi to, was polite, asked them how they enjoyed the streamer, said great, I have never asked to look inside, they have usually invited me in for a quickie lookie. So people lighten up and enjoy what time we have left on this planet.
I say "Howdy, Y'all !"... Guess I am just a happy Cajun Redneck!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Likewise, I try to always find time to be nice, polite, and generally sociable.

Besides, I know it isn't exactly humble of me but I enjoy showing off my unique trailer knowing that some will love it and some will hate it and some will admire my "carpentry skills" and some who know what real carpentry is wont....

It is all the same to me, I enjoy all of it.

Several months ago while I was in Bisbee a giant fifth wheel parked next to me, the man was busy setting up his trailer, a big production no doubt, I said hello in passing, it wasn't hard to judge his attitude, him and I became "silent neighbors" quickly. Turns out his wife was a nice lady who spent the better part of an hour conversing with my wife and I.

Some people are so busy that they miss the better parts of life, and some aren't.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #116
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flht2k View Post
Really??
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #117
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Feel free to stop by

If you see us out and about, feel free to stop by! Won't guarantee a tour, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0221.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	249474  
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:49 PM   #118
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
We generally enjoy the camaraderie with fellow RVers. Having an Airstream does generate a fair amount of interest. My favorite in the recent past was a guy in a campground in Arizona a couple years ago who came striding up to my trailer as I was doing the set-up. His first contribution, "that looks new, are they still making them." (Don't you wish you had $1 for every time you've heard that?) His second comment was, "how many slides you got on that trailer." My response: "NONE. This is a TRAVEL trailer, not a 'park it at the lake for the summer RV.'" He tilted his head slightly, said, "Oh." Then walked away.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:37 AM   #119

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I bought an Airstream so....

Sometimes it's surprising who you meet. We were up in Door County Wi. A few years back. An Airstream pulls in a few sites from ours. After a few days the occupants pass by on the road and I engage them in a conversation. As it ends up they are newbees with lots of questions. I refer them here to the forum as a good place to get answers. As it ends up they tell be they've been reading the forum for a while for just that purpose. They ask me what my screen name is and when I tell them they chuckle. One of them said wait a second I'll be right back. She comes back with a stack of paper all of which are posts I have done over time on various topics. She says she prints out the ones most useful and keeps them in the trailer. What a hoot!

The other magnet that has drawn folks to the trailer is the Airforums decal. I've met some of you at campgrounds where we coincidently have been staying at. That decal definitely means a visit.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It's funny how other 'Forums members already know who I am when we meet face to face the first time.
It's also funny that they call me by my 'Forums handle rather than my given name.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955