Old 09-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #57
Rivet Master
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
"Tours, 10PM-11PM, $1500 per person, cash only"
This just creased me up! Thanks for the top laugh!!

Mad Astrophysicist turned sales guy that works to fund his dirty snowbaording habbit, mwah-ha-ha . . .
Gsmblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thesignlady View Post
Simple solution....Print this and post out front

Attachment 248779
SignLady you certainly live up to your name! I LOVE this sign. Very creative with the perfect touch of humor!

NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member
2009 23' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I've enjoyed my Airstream for two fun summers so far. Airstream owners do tend to stop by and visit, and I consider that part of the fun! Have met some wonderful, like-minded travelers this way, and I hope it continues! I always explain that the inside of my trailer is not ready for visitors because of my dogs.
silvertrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
You should have a slider and see how many lookies you get. It's not all bad, but when the inside is a mess, it gets annoying.
2008 F-250 4X4 Lariat V-10
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
An Airstream in a campground is not the same as a motel room, where it would be considered rude, or even invasive, for the person in the room next door to want to introduce themselves. It's more like a tent in a campground, where the norm is to interact with your neighbors. I would say a campground is almost the opposite of a motel room. In a campground, it would almost be rude NOT to speak with your neighbors, or at least give them a smile in passing. In any social situation, you should be able to tell after speaking or smiling at someone if they want to continue the exchange, or if they would rather be left alone, and you should respect their wishes.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #62
Rivet Master
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
What an interesting thread.

I have answered the overly-personal question about how much it costs, by saying about the same as a nice truck. It usually satisfies the questioner. And is vague enough that I don't feel like I am being put on the spot.

Let's face it, anyone who really wants to know can google the info from their phone in about 30 seconds.

I think that as you are more interested in chilling out instead of interacting on your time off, that is a perfectly reasonable thing to want to do. Some folks like a lots of action, some like lots of zen.

I think yes there are rude people who may not take a hint very well. Nothing wrong with saying, "if you'll pardon me, nothing personal, but I need to get my R and R time in. This just isn't something we are able to do on our limited down time."

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:57 PM   #63
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Be kind to the people you meet on the way up because you may meet them again on the way down.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
We are guilty as charged of stopping and talking with other Airstream campers. I hope we did not impose on anyone.
You can meet the most interesting and nicest people. And at times make a new friend or two. We also have had people stop and talk to us about our Airstream. And we would gladly answer their questions and show them our camper, mess and all.
We usually camp with a large group of friends and family so I guess we do not mind a few new faces.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member
1976 25' Caravanner
North Charleston , South Carolina
Thank you for posting this! We have owned our 76 for 5 years and always encountered polite folks, until a few weeks ago. We were on the most remote site in a campground with truck/trailer parked blocking any visitors. We did not want to be disturbed.

At 8 pm on a Sunday night as we're relaxing by a nice fire, a boat came hauling tail towards our site (again, a very remote site). There were 4 people on it as it came near the shore and a lady yelled "WE'RE COMING TO SEE INSIDE YOUR AIRSTREAM!" Not "Hi, how are you folks? Sorry to disturb you..." It was "WE'RE COMING TO SEE INSIDE YOUR AIRSTREAM!" My husband and I looked at each other like this woman had lost her mind. I yelled back "Not today you aren't!" She said "yeah, we want to look inside. We have an Airstream too." We yelled "NO! GO AWAY!" They finally got the message. As they were leaving we could hear the woman telling the others on the boat that WE were the rude ones!

Like the original poster, we are in our 40s/50s and still in the rat race. When we are camping, we want our time, quiet time, mountain biking time, fishing, hiking with our dogs....we certainly do not mind a polite visitor asking about our Airstream since we renovated it and are very proud. If possible, we don't mind if you want to stick your head in for a quick peek (not a full tour, this is our home.) Just because you have an Airstream does not mean it's an open invitation to look in mine. You wouldn't go to someone's brick and mortar house, knock on the door and say "We're coming to look in your house! We have a house too!"

Airstream rallies we feel are a different ball game. When you go to a rally you expect other owners to want to take a look in your Airstream, you go there for the camaraderie and being in the club. Heck we even let the previous owner of ours give tours of our Airstream at the last rally we attended.

For those with car comparisons in this thread, we also own several limited production and classic cars. People often ask us about them but they don't ask us if they can sit in or drive them.

And finally, our dogs are our fur kids. We don't need a "beware of dog" sign because you are trespassing on our campsite. If we want you in our space, we will handle our dogs. Otherwise, they are also our security team so enter at your own risk. Besides, a "beware of owners" sign would be more appropriate anyway.

Sorry for the long post but this thread really struck a nerve with us!
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:30 PM   #66
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
68twind is here in the same campground for a bluegrass "Pickin' at the Lake".
Tomorrow we want to tour each others' trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member
2012 23' FB International
Warrington , Pennsylvania
It's interesting to me how many people on this thread fall on one side of the fence or the other. Those who have people stop by and those who have not.

We had some one stop by as we were setting up on our first weekend. He asked all the questions. Can I see inside..? Is it new...? How much did you pay for it...?

We didn't mind. We think the interaction is part of the culture.

I agree the questions about price can be uncomfortable. We do walk around looking for other AS owners and I think you can get a vibe if someone wants to talk or not.
sroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Dear "OP"....
Reminds me of a "Zen" thing... "Lord, please let my words be sweet and tender, for one day I may have to eat them."

With our "open" society, it/our "need" to live vicariously through the "pop" culture, our kids sports activities or any number of "life choices", when you are away from your "world", prepare to be amused and more likely shocked.

One life mantra I have..."Lose the lumps, not the lessons." It really sounds like you got and maybe gave some lumps... I know the feeling all too well.

So, with this experience and now some time to process, the lumps should lessen as the lesson firms up....(ain't English fun?)

We are fearfully and wondrously made..... Some more than others, eh?

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:36 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD FB
We are , Relaxed
Welcome to the airstream world most of us love to talking with like-minded out side active people.maybe ano trespassing sign might be in order. If we are in the campground send them over to us we love to visit and show off our pride and joy
Richard (Dean) Tighe
W.B.C.C.I. 5617

2007 25' fb International Solar
2007 Dodge
Looking for Galt's Gulch
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:03 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Originally Posted by shadedsilver View Post
Weve has ours for 2 years. Yes, they are noticeable...but you need to get more social skills. SOB owners are usually most curious. A polite comment or two is all that's required. As for AS owners, you might learn something.

Dog haters are across every social group...even elite suburbs

I agree with others...chill out and relax at the Airstream.

lol, he doesn't need to "get" anything. Change your personality in order to participate in inane chit-chat. I think not.

Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
There are a lot of people here who feel that everyone should be happy to show strangers around, let them tour your Airstream, drop in for a chat, pet your dog, borrow your car, hug your kids. . .
And sometimes they disparage anyone who doesn't isn't as outgoing as they are.
Sometimes I just want to be left in peace, and I don't feel the need to justify my actions or post signs.
Understand that everyone isn't like you.

Completely agree. I love the style and interior/brightness of AS's but wouldn't care for the "attention". Hence I think I would enjoy more remote state and national parks if I do end up buying one.

I think I could get a couple of these and put them on either corner of camp site facing towards road:

Could really cut down the chit-chat requests, people cutting through camp site and would befuddle a lot looking for the "fence".

Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote