Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
An Airstream in a campground is not the same as a motel room, where it would be considered rude, or even invasive, for the person in the room next door to want to introduce themselves. It's more like a tent in a campground, where the norm is to interact with your neighbors. I would say a campground is almost the opposite of a motel room. In a campground, it would almost be rude NOT to speak with your neighbors, or at least give them a smile in passing. In any social situation, you should be able to tell after speaking or smiling at someone if they want to continue the exchange, or if they would rather be left alone, and you should respect their wishes.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
What an interesting thread.

I have answered the overly-personal question about how much it costs, by saying about the same as a nice truck. It usually satisfies the questioner. And is vague enough that I don't feel like I am being put on the spot.

Let's face it, anyone who really wants to know can google the info from their phone in about 30 seconds.

I think that as you are more interested in chilling out instead of interacting on your time off, that is a perfectly reasonable thing to want to do. Some folks like a lots of action, some like lots of zen.

I think yes there are rude people who may not take a hint very well. Nothing wrong with saying, "if you'll pardon me, nothing personal, but I need to get my R and R time in. This just isn't something we are able to do on our limited down time."

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:57 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Be kind to the people you meet on the way up because you may meet them again on the way down.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
We are guilty as charged of stopping and talking with other Airstream campers. I hope we did not impose on anyone.
You can meet the most interesting and nicest people. And at times make a new friend or two. We also have had people stop and talk to us about our Airstream. And we would gladly answer their questions and show them our camper, mess and all.
We usually camp with a large group of friends and family so I guess we do not mind a few new faces.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
North Charleston , South Carolina
Thank you for posting this! We have owned our 76 for 5 years and always encountered polite folks, until a few weeks ago. We were on the most remote site in a campground with truck/trailer parked blocking any visitors. We did not want to be disturbed.

At 8 pm on a Sunday night as we're relaxing by a nice fire, a boat came hauling tail towards our site (again, a very remote site). There were 4 people on it as it came near the shore and a lady yelled "WE'RE COMING TO SEE INSIDE YOUR AIRSTREAM!" Not "Hi, how are you folks? Sorry to disturb you..." It was "WE'RE COMING TO SEE INSIDE YOUR AIRSTREAM!" My husband and I looked at each other like this woman had lost her mind. I yelled back "Not today you aren't!" She said "yeah, we want to look inside. We have an Airstream too." We yelled "NO! GO AWAY!" They finally got the message. As they were leaving we could hear the woman telling the others on the boat that WE were the rude ones!

Like the original poster, we are in our 40s/50s and still in the rat race. When we are camping, we want our time, quiet time, mountain biking time, fishing, hiking with our dogs....we certainly do not mind a polite visitor asking about our Airstream since we renovated it and are very proud. If possible, we don't mind if you want to stick your head in for a quick peek (not a full tour, this is our home.) Just because you have an Airstream does not mean it's an open invitation to look in mine. You wouldn't go to someone's brick and mortar house, knock on the door and say "We're coming to look in your house! We have a house too!"

Airstream rallies we feel are a different ball game. When you go to a rally you expect other owners to want to take a look in your Airstream, you go there for the camaraderie and being in the club. Heck we even let the previous owner of ours give tours of our Airstream at the last rally we attended.

For those with car comparisons in this thread, we also own several limited production and classic cars. People often ask us about them but they don't ask us if they can sit in or drive them.

And finally, our dogs are our fur kids. We don't need a "beware of dog" sign because you are trespassing on our campsite. If we want you in our space, we will handle our dogs. Otherwise, they are also our security team so enter at your own risk. Besides, a "beware of owners" sign would be more appropriate anyway.

Sorry for the long post but this thread really struck a nerve with us!
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:30 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
68twind is here in the same campground for a bluegrass "Pickin' at the Lake".
Tomorrow we want to tour each others' trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Warrington , Pennsylvania
It's interesting to me how many people on this thread fall on one side of the fence or the other. Those who have people stop by and those who have not.

We had some one stop by as we were setting up on our first weekend. He asked all the questions. Can I see inside..? Is it new...? How much did you pay for it...?

We didn't mind. We think the interaction is part of the culture.

I agree the questions about price can be uncomfortable. We do walk around looking for other AS owners and I think you can get a vibe if someone wants to talk or not.
sroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #68
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Dear "OP"....
Reminds me of a "Zen" thing... "Lord, please let my words be sweet and tender, for one day I may have to eat them."

With our "open" society, it/our "need" to live vicariously through the "pop" culture, our kids sports activities or any number of "life choices", when you are away from your "world", prepare to be amused and more likely shocked.

One life mantra I have..."Lose the lumps, not the lessons." It really sounds like you got and maybe gave some lumps... I know the feeling all too well.

So, with this experience and now some time to process, the lumps should lessen as the lesson firms up....(ain't English fun?)

We are fearfully and wondrously made..... Some more than others, eh?

Peace...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:36 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
South , South Dakota
Welcome to the airstream world most of us love to talking with like-minded out side active people.maybe ano trespassing sign might be in order. If we are in the campground send them over to us we love to visit and show off our pride and joy

2007 25' FB International CCD Solar
2019 Toyota Tundra
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:03 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadedsilver View Post
Weve has ours for 2 years. Yes, they are noticeable...but you need to get more social skills. SOB owners are usually most curious. A polite comment or two is all that's required. As for AS owners, you might learn something.

Dog haters are across every social group...even elite suburbs

I agree with others...chill out and relax at the Airstream.

lol, he doesn't need to "get" anything. Change your personality in order to participate in inane chit-chat. I think not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
There are a lot of people here who feel that everyone should be happy to show strangers around, let them tour your Airstream, drop in for a chat, pet your dog, borrow your car, hug your kids. . .
And sometimes they disparage anyone who doesn't isn't as outgoing as they are.
Sometimes I just want to be left in peace, and I don't feel the need to justify my actions or post signs.
Understand that everyone isn't like you.

Completely agree. I love the style and interior/brightness of AS's but wouldn't care for the "attention". Hence I think I would enjoy more remote state and national parks if I do end up buying one.

I think I could get a couple of these and put them on either corner of camp site facing towards road:

Could really cut down the chit-chat requests, people cutting through camp site and would befuddle a lot looking for the "fence".
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We have been camping all over the country in our Airstreams for ten years now. We are now up to almost 1,700 nights out in our Airstream. We have found that camping in an Airstream gets us more attention than other RV's would muster. We enjoy this minor notoriety. It had led us to many nice interactions with others.

We also have a 1956 Ford Thunderbird that we have had for thirty years. Even more so than the Airstream, this car draws a crowd everywhere we go in it. When we take the T-Bird to the grocery store, we park way out at the far end of the parking lot. Very often, when we return to the car, there is a small crowd gathered around it. We always end up "giving interviews" about the car. We also enjoy this notoriety that borders on celebrity.

One thing that we have found out over the years is that if you want to buy ice cream, don't take the T-Bird to Publix.

Brian
I didn't realize what I was joining when I too bought a Airstream. My first was the 2008 22' Safari Sport. Soon as we hit the road, we noticed the interest at 90% of all fuel stops. We bought a Panamerica and scheduled a service appointment while we'd be at JC for Alumapalooza. The moment we parked on the Terraport and settled in for the evening - the line started forming. Got worst in the service bay: came in to check on progress; people LITERALLY were inside on self-conducted tours!! I had to lock her up to stop the bold intrusions. The difference; I get it. However, there are types that WILL take you to the height of (fill in the words) if YOU don't assert control EQUAL to their BOLD/RUDE behavior(s) or questions. The double-takes we get are even MORE comical as we have traveled the USA! LOL!!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:02 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I'm usually not pulled out of the yard or set up at a campground before someone comes by-
It even happens at fuel stops and fast food joints-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-25-2015, 06:41 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1993 34' Excella
COVINGTON , rich patch road
I have a question? I have reed all the post on this tread, Now I'm at a loss. So do I not make friends with other Airstreams or do? I now have the fear that I won't know who I can speak to or who will hate me for just saying hi. After 5 kid's, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 hamster, 1 guinea pig, and 8 chickens (which I sill have) that I was looking forward to some adult chit chat, meeting new people and finding out more about them and there Airstream. so Am I wrong?
angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:02 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by angle View Post
I have a question? I have reed all the post on this tread, Now I'm at a loss. So do I not make friends with other Airstreams or do? I now have the fear that I won't know who I can speak to or who will hate me for just saying hi. After 5 kid's, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 hamster, 1 guinea pig, and 8 chickens (which I sill have) that I was looking forward to some adult chit chat, meeting new people and finding out more about them and there Airstream. so Am I wrong?
I am hoping that there is a dash of sarcasm in your response. Be yourself - don't let one anti-social attitude ruin your idea of the ideal Airstream experience.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
I have had a few ask me why spend that kind of money on a Airstream ?

I tell them, BECAUSE I CAN.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1993 34' Excella
COVINGTON , rich patch road
No, Sorry. no sarcasm here. I am really one of those people that if I see an Airstream , I want to run over and meet the people there. I want to get to know them and make new Friends. I have not yet met RED, (will in Jan) but I can tell from his post that I can't wait to met him and his wife. And yet I see a post like this that makes you fear you will upset someone for just walking up to them. I now will wait to see if they speck first.Then go from there. I pray most will be some what like me.
angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by angle View Post
I highly doubt that anyone will "hate you" for saying hi. It's just that a lot of people don't know where to draw the line.

You have to remember not everyone is interesting in stopping their reading, train of thought, project etc to answer the same questions over and over.

Like people knocking on your door when you are clearly inside all buttoned up taking a nap or something to say "hi", or like the one guy who got shouted at from a boat from some crazy woman saying "we are coming to see inside your airstream".

Ya, sure you are...
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
When you see big red numbers 1181 come on over!

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-25-2015, 11:16 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
funny? Funny Peculiar or Funny Ha-Ha?

I get a lot less noticed for the Airstream now than I did when I bought my first one in 2005. There ARE a lot more new ones on the road now than there were then. And there is a lot more prominent product placement now too.

What I got noticed for most in my latest major trek (to California and back) was rather "OMG are you ALONE?" They were startled that a senior citizen woman was towing, hooking up, and OMG BACKING into a space - all by herself. Out west they walked right up and made a point of starting a conversation about my "no husband" status. Back home when I visit a new campground I usually draw a glance or two, but very few people come up and say anything direct.

I know there are quite a few Amish, Mennonite, Hutterite and old order LDS polygamists out West ... but not one of the questioners appeared to belong to any of those segments. Maybe westerners are just more "Howdy - I'm outgoing" types. I don't find it offensive - unless of course I just finished torquing all my lug bolts, checking the tire pressure, and hauling the Hensley receiver around - and that's only because I'm in bad need of a SHOWER.

May I suggest getting some tourist repellant? Put big green letters on the glass on your unit that says "YES I do have a pet python aboard" or "Ask me about my snakes" Of course a dried out old rattlesnake skin lying on the dashboard of your car, and another in the front window of your Airstream works too.

Paula
Old 09-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #80
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I've always thought that Airstreamers were pretty adept at reading others body language, non verbal cues and the like. I don't think I'm bipolar but sometimes I fell like being friendly and sometimes don't.
I can usually tell if someone wants to give a quick tour or not just by making eye contact and a giving a friendly little smile. If you look away or turn around I'm not going to bother you.
I expect the same courtesy in return.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote