Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesignlady View Post
Simple solution....Print this and post out front

Attachment 248779
I love it!

I will make one when I get mine. I'd like some solitude at times
Xicaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond , Indiana
I don't currently own an Airstream but I owned on previously. I was always proud that I owned an "American Icon" and I was always proud to show off my camper.
I'm guessing you are either a first time RV owner or you came to an Airstream from a very expensive motorhome or fifth wheel.
I have traveled to 46 states in my lifetime and I've found that the majority of RV owners are friendly and nice people. I have owned everything from a tent, to several travel trailers (mostly some other brand) a couple of fifth wheels, a small class C motorhome and then finally a new, in 2000, Airstream 25 foot Safari.
In all of my travels I have noticed that the bigger and the more expensive the RV is the less friendly the owners are. I have camped very near a couple of "Prevost" motorhomes, that I know cost well over a million dollars. After they pulled into their sites they sat in their RV's leveled them from the drivers seat, usually never bothered to open their awnings and usually the "man of the RV" would come outside and hook up the utilities. The next time I might see them is the others with him would come out, get in their car (or whatever they towed behind the Prevost) and they would go out to dinner, come back and never see them set outside.
I've noticed almost the same thing with large Fifth Wheel's.
To me, it would be like owning a Classic Car and then being upset if someone asked to look at it. I know because I know many people who do own classic cars and for the most part they take them to "Cruise Ins" to show them off.
When you own an Airstream, most everyone else either envy's your camper or they have one of their own and most people enjoy the camaraderie with "like minded" other people.
That's true for Airstreams and many other unique brands of RV's, cars, such as Corvettes, boats, such as a Cobalt, and so on.
Personally I really enjoy riding a bicycle. I own a top of the line TREK carbon fiber road bike. My grown kids thought I was crazy for spending so much money for a bicycle. When I'm out riding if someone compliments me on my bike I smile and say thanks. By the way, I do use it, I got it in 2010 and I have rode at least 2,000 miles per year ever since.

Everyone has a right to their own privacy. Part of the reason I go camping is the camaraderie of fellow campers.

Just saying.
Vaughn
Vaughn Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:08 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughn Hobbs View Post
I'm guessing you are either a first time RV owner or you came to an Airstream from a very expensive motorhome or fifth wheel.

We are not 1st timers and did not own a large Rv or fith wheel. We had a small SOB and just wanted to purchase a higher quality trailer. We are under 50yrs old, still work full time and travel for leasure and to get away from the rat race. I started this thread more about the expectation that owning an Airstream somehow people have made an assumesion that we want to show it off and thats what we want to talk about or is who or what we are about. When it is not of real importance to you talking about it or being expected to somehow be an expert in Airstream produces is kind of boring. We are so much more than a trailer. Photographers, mountain biker, kayakers, snowmobilers, classic car owners, dog owners, horse owners, hikers, ect just didn't think a trailer would define use as (I don;t know what).

We stay at mostly National Forest, state campground or Army Corp sites with limited hook ups and have no interest in the mega campgrounds. We do not have children anddo not need a resort, we enjoy the outdoors thats way we "camp"

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
In the 25+ years I've been an Airstream Owner I've been asked only once by a stranger to see inside.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
I started this thread more about the expectation that owning an Airstream somehow people have made an assumesion that we want to show it off and thats what we want to talk about

Joe D
Curious why you joined the forum, if you don't want to hear or talk about Airstreams.
bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:09 AM   #46

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Again folks more snide remarks have been removed. See post 29 if you have questions.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
We are not 1st timers and did not own a large Rv or fith wheel. We had a small SOB and just wanted to purchase a higher quality trailer. We are under 50yrs old, still work full time and travel for leasure and to get away from the rat race. I started this thread more about the expectation that owning an Airstream somehow people have made an assumesion that we want to show it off and thats what we want to talk about or is who or what we are about. When it is not of real importance to you talking about it or being expected to somehow be an expert in Airstream produces is kind of boring. We are so much more than a trailer. Photographers, mountain biker, kayakers, snowmobilers, classic car owners, dog owners, horse owners, hikers, ect just didn't think a trailer would define use as (I don;t know what).

We stay at mostly National Forest, state campground or Army Corp sites with limited hook ups and have no interest in the mega campgrounds. We do not have children anddo not need a resort, we enjoy the outdoors thats way we "camp"

Joe D
I can't even get the trailer parked before I'm mobbed by people....

I never let it bother me too much, but sometimes it happens at just the wrong time, like when I'm trying to swing the nose of the truck around somebodies poorly parked vehicle right in my way.... other than if I'm really busy, grab a beer, grab a chair, what's up...

I'm usually embarrassed about the cost more than anything... I've noticed there's a guessing game on the cost, always, - and the ever present "wish I had bought one" confessions. We call this "The Airstream Confessions" ... goes something like this..

"Boy that sure is a fine shiny machine you got there.."
"Thanks! We really like it"
"Boy I bet that thing cost a pretty penny, is it new?"
"Yeah pretty new..."
"Ya know back in 1987, I had the chance to buy one of them der aisteams, and I shore wish ia had.... i bet they are even more expensive today....."
"Uhmm, yeah,.... I suppose so..."
"Oh back den, they cost a bunch... i coulda picked one up for 13,000 but.... I imagine today they cost prolly........??"
"........................."
"But nope, I bought me a used pop up camper fer $1000, and it leaked water all up on mah head, i finally gave it to mah son and he didn't take care of it, and it just fell apart in my backyard, heck half of it's still there..."
"........................."
"I reckon you paid a pretty penny fer that one, she's shiny as can be.... I reckon you might'a given......?
"........................"
"... what you say... I reckon $25,000??"
"...................... Yeah she wasn't cheap exactly, but that's ok...."
"Boy I wishd i had'a boughten' that one back den, I betcha I'd still have her today.... but instead I bought that dang-gunned pop up trailer, then i bought me a used 1985 quicksilver stallion, you know da one, with that arched up back to it, but then the wheels fell off it on the interstate, and I said to heck with dat, so then next I got me dat 1992 trailer right over der... see it? the one with the tarp over the end... it started leakin' on mah head the other day, but boy for all dat money spent, I could had me dat airsteam way back den.... well Ill let you two get back to parking that beauty....."

"thanks"

How exactly to you do say.... Yeppers, I forked over 65k .........
Old 09-24-2015, 07:51 AM   #48

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think the most common statement to me is "that's a new one isn't it?". Then the surprise when I tell them it's not.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I think the most common statement to me is "that's a new one isn't it?". Then the surprise when I tell them it's not.

Jack
Totally, it's very hard to tell which units are new and which aren't... they all look brand new
Old 09-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #50

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been camping all over the country in our Airstreams for ten years now. We are now up to almost 1,700 nights out in our Airstream. We have found that camping in an Airstream gets us more attention than other RV's would muster. We enjoy this minor notoriety. It had led us to many nice interactions with others.

We also have a 1956 Ford Thunderbird that we have had for thirty years. Even more so than the Airstream, this car draws a crowd everywhere we go in it. When we take the T-Bird to the grocery store, we park way out at the far end of the parking lot. Very often, when we return to the car, there is a small crowd gathered around it. We always end up "giving interviews" about the car. We also enjoy this notoriety that borders on celebrity.

One thing that we have found out over the years is that if you want to buy ice cream, don't take the T-Bird to Publix.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #51
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
We are so much more than a trailer. Photographers, mountain biker, kayakers, snowmobilers, classic car owners, dog owners, horse owners, hikers, ect just didn't think a trailer would define use as (I don;t know what).
I've found that most Airstreamers are just like this - fascinating folks with interesting and diverse interests. They have a taste for adventure. In all fairness I think most rvers are the same but the shiny Airstream is a jumping off place for a discussion and very visible in a park. By choosing one you have set yourself up for approaches by friendly folks. If you dislike these you'll need to find a kind way to deflect these inquiries because they are likely to continue. OTOH sometimes it's nice to be the popular kid

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Dexterpix

Sorry you are experiencing this annoyance when you are trying to enjoy and unwind.

Sometimes you just got to be direct with folks. I like the sign ideas:

"No visitors please"

"No tours, no questions, not a dealer"

"No Soliciting"

"Beware of Dog"

"Beware of Owner"

"No trespassing"

"Move along nothing here to see"

"Privacy Please"

"Do not enter"

No you shouldn't have to post a sign. We jokingly say we bought a magnet. At rallies and organized Airstream gatherings open houses and coffee clatches followed by happy hours are so common. We need to remember to give people their space.

If they can't read:
"Sorry we are not up for visitors"
"Sorry not here to socialize"
"Sorry we'd like our privacy"

Enjoy, don't' wave to much from the campsites and we should all note that not everyone wants to chitty chat.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
In the 25+ years I've been an Airstream Owner I've been asked only once by a stranger to see inside.

Really?
We get curious onlookers nearly every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
We pull our 25FB with a Ford F150 Raptor SVT so we not only get onlookers for our AS but also for the TV. While we don't advertise that we want visitors all in our business we do answer questions and enjoy all of the nice (and sometimes nosy) people we meet at the places we camp.

We did not think about the Airstream being so iconic at campgrounds and going down the road before we bought it but as soon as we purchased the light bulb went off and we realized that we are now the center of attention and don't mind it at all.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #55
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
"Tours, 10PM-11PM, $1500 per person, cash only"
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughn Hobbs View Post

Everyone has a right to their own privacy. Part of the reason I go camping is the camaraderie of fellow campers.

Just saying.
Vaughn
No one has ever asked to see the inside of my Airstream, except friends and family that visited my home while it was parked out in the yard. I do get numerous compliments and questions, but no one has ever been rude. I always tell people that part of the experience in camping, particularly in National Parks, is meeting and conversing with fellow campers from all over the USA and from different countries. If I want to be left alone, I stay inside or boondock somewhere.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
"Tours, 10PM-11PM, $1500 per person, cash only"
This just creased me up! Thanks for the top laugh!!
Old 09-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesignlady View Post
Simple solution....Print this and post out front

Attachment 248779
SignLady you certainly live up to your name! I LOVE this sign. Very creative with the perfect touch of humor!
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I've enjoyed my Airstream for two fun summers so far. Airstream owners do tend to stop by and visit, and I consider that part of the fun! Have met some wonderful, like-minded travelers this way, and I hope it continues! I always explain that the inside of my trailer is not ready for visitors because of my dogs.
silvertrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
You should have a slider and see how many lookies you get. It's not all bad, but when the inside is a mess, it gets annoying.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote