Old 09-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
At on campground a membership chair from the local wally club stopped by our site 4 time in three days trying to get us to "just join and try it out" after being told on thank you but we are not interested.

Are we missing something thinking this is not acceptable or is at least strange behavior?

Joe D
I can definitely agree with you on this one.
This person doesn't appear to be great at reading social clues.

my restoration & travel blog:
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We have been on several long trips and have actually enjoyed the interaction, for the most part, of other campers and Airstreamers. We have had some delightful conversations and met some really nice people. I don't remember anyone actually asking to see the inside, although we have offered a tour occasionally during a discussion. You can usually tell if someone doesn't want to be bothered and we are happy to leave them to their privacy and continue on down the way.

Most encounters are usually as we are setting up or breaking down camp. We have learned that if we have somewhere to be we try to exit the campground before 9 a.m., before the campground wakes up, in order to avoid what we call the "Airstream conversation." I know we are not going to make our time schedule if I look out the window and the hubs is surrounded by men holding their coffee cups.

silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1986 31' Sovereign
1993 34' Excella
COVINGTON , rich patch road
For all those that have said that they don't mind the people stopping by.
THANK YOU. This is one reason I love the Airstream. New places and New Friends.
young or old I LOVE IT ALL. and can't wait for the next trip to do it all over again. So looking forward to Canopener, Just so I can make New Friends and keep the fun of owning one alive...
angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It is annoying when people stop by the house for a tour as we are trying to leave to go to the lake-
I sometimes give the tour anyway-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
People are generally very friendly and polite. They wave as they walk by or sometimes if we're outside, they will stop by and chat. We don't mind. In fact, we enjoy meeting new people. Often we will end up exchanging phone numbers and make plans to meet again!

If you really don't want the social interaction, I think posting a sign is a good idea. But I think the only thing a sign will do is keep out the nice people and you'll still get the rude visitors. When a person is rude, even a sign won't stop them.

Otherwise, just like any other social setting, learn to deal with them. Good Luck!
Yolanda (and Phil)
2013 30' Classic Limited
2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Folks usually attracted to A/S's are usually like minded but not always of course. Non Airstreamers are usually on a wish trip when they approach you for a "look see". On the other hand, Airstreamers are always talking about their Airstreams and assume others like to do the same. We of the vintage crowd are often approached with the question "how old is it?" In case you haven't noticed yet, vintage owners are the snobs of the A/S crowd. We like to show others that our 48 year old coach really is original or show off the improvements we have made. When it is not convenient, we simply say "maybe some other time".....
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
this was kind of funny. I am guilty. I stopped a guy pulling out of a parking lot because I was wanting to get the story on his that was printed with a faded mobilelab on the side, and I could tell it had no windows from the factory (I posted in the airstream sightings thread). I could tell he was a little miffed, so I made the conversation short.

Now, you'll have to understand, that in the trailer world, you just bought something like a Ferrari. People are curious and excited. It's not going to change for you. You'll just need to come up with a polite way to say you don't want to be bothered. I think you might find more to your liking in state parks as opposed to crowded campgrounds.

I do think it's rude to tell someone you don't like their layout. Either way, I'm afraid you'll find people will walk right up and ask you about it.

I bought a 64, and I'm almost done restoring it. I was actually looking forward to showing it off. We put a ton of hard work into it. I like talking about it. The few times we took it out half finished, I liked the admiring looks. It would be even more so now that it's almost completely polished and restored. Fortunately, it's behind a 6' privacy fence, but when done, i'll take it out to show off a litte bit before listing it in the classifieds. you won't change people's behavior, but you could change your location.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #22
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
How do most of you handle these situations?
Joe D
Joe, I can sympathize.. While I am generally up for chatty looky-loos there are times when I want to be left alone.

You have several choices here, imo.

1. Turn away these requests with a "stay off my grass" attitude.
2. Deflect the requests and attention kindly with friendly but direct responses designed to wave folks off. "I have a headache, my wife is taking a nap, our dog is sick and out of sorts, the place is a mess and there's still dirty socks on the floor - thanks for understanding" responses.
3. Put up a sign that says "quiet please - nap in progress"

No matter how you deal with these encounters try to appreciate the attention for what it usually is... genuine interest in a great trailer and the cool folks who would be camping in it. These folks are well intentioned and often seeking info from real owners about their Airstream experience. I can't tell you how many of these inquiries I've had from white box owners who are disenchanted with their rigs.

welcome to the club
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
2014 16' Sport
Franklin , Indiana
Dear confused

We are new to the AS community. We were camping in a beautiful and well built teardrop trailer. We were constanly questioned everywhere we went. Gas station, rest stops, camp grounds. Does it pop up? Does it slide out? can we look inside? No, No, and sure you can. We loved it. Only problem was keeping it fairly neat for the "look see" moments. The forum for the trailer was (is) full of great people sharing ideas and experiences, I was glad to see this thread because now I know there are AS people who enjoy people too. I hope our new trailer makes people want to know more about it. We like peace and quiet too but we have found it only takes a minimal amount of people skills and courtesy to redirect the curious when it is incovenient for us. Airstream people have the reputation of being snobs, some are and proud of it I think, but I'd like to change that.
pickettmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #24
The Sign Lady
1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Simple solution....Print this and post out front

thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB International
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Weve has ours for 2 years. Yes, they are noticeable...but you need to get more social skills. SOB owners are usually most curious. A polite comment or two is all that's required. As for AS owners, you might learn something.

Dog haters are across every social group...even elite suburbs

I agree with others...chill out and relax at the Airstream.
shadedsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #26
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Gloucester City , New Jersey
I love it when people stop by and tell me how much they like our Bambi. I am usually the one who says, "Would you like to see inside?" I love going into a campground and seeing another Airstream, as many times we have been the only ones.
Little Silve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #27
Site Team
, Minnesota
There are a lot of people here who feel that everyone should be happy to show strangers around, let them tour your Airstream, drop in for a chat, pet your dog, borrow your car, hug your kids. . .
And sometimes they disparage anyone who doesn't isn't as outgoing as they are.
Sometimes I just want to be left in peace, and I don't feel the need to justify my actions or post signs.
Understand that everyone isn't like you.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #28
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
To Each His Own

Count me among those that feel there is nothing wrong with wanting privacy and that owning an Airstream shouldn't require an open house policy. I am surprised and disappointed at the hostility in this blog toward such a point of view.

bertkauf is offline   Reply With Quote