Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
this was kind of funny. I am guilty. I stopped a guy pulling out of a parking lot because I was wanting to get the story on his that was printed with a faded mobilelab on the side, and I could tell it had no windows from the factory (I posted in the airstream sightings thread). I could tell he was a little miffed, so I made the conversation short.

Now, you'll have to understand, that in the trailer world, you just bought something like a Ferrari. People are curious and excited. It's not going to change for you. You'll just need to come up with a polite way to say you don't want to be bothered. I think you might find more to your liking in state parks as opposed to crowded campgrounds.

I do think it's rude to tell someone you don't like their layout. Either way, I'm afraid you'll find people will walk right up and ask you about it.

I bought a 64, and I'm almost done restoring it. I was actually looking forward to showing it off. We put a ton of hard work into it. I like talking about it. The few times we took it out half finished, I liked the admiring looks. It would be even more so now that it's almost completely polished and restored. Fortunately, it's behind a 6' privacy fence, but when done, i'll take it out to show off a litte bit before listing it in the classifieds. you won't change people's behavior, but you could change your location.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #22
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
How do most of you handle these situations?
Joe D
Joe, I can sympathize.. While I am generally up for chatty looky-loos there are times when I want to be left alone.

You have several choices here, imo.

1. Turn away these requests with a "stay off my grass" attitude.
2. Deflect the requests and attention kindly with friendly but direct responses designed to wave folks off. "I have a headache, my wife is taking a nap, our dog is sick and out of sorts, the place is a mess and there's still dirty socks on the floor - thanks for understanding" responses.
3. Put up a sign that says "quiet please - nap in progress"

No matter how you deal with these encounters try to appreciate the attention for what it usually is... genuine interest in a great trailer and the cool folks who would be camping in it. These folks are well intentioned and often seeking info from real owners about their Airstream experience. I can't tell you how many of these inquiries I've had from white box owners who are disenchanted with their rigs.

welcome to the club

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
franklin , Indiana
Dear confused

We are new to the AS community. We were camping in a beautiful and well built teardrop trailer. We were constanly questioned everywhere we went. Gas station, rest stops, camp grounds. Does it pop up? Does it slide out? can we look inside? No, No, and sure you can. We loved it. Only problem was keeping it fairly neat for the "look see" moments. The forum for the trailer was (is) full of great people sharing ideas and experiences, I was glad to see this thread because now I know there are AS people who enjoy people too. I hope our new trailer makes people want to know more about it. We like peace and quiet too but we have found it only takes a minimal amount of people skills and courtesy to redirect the curious when it is incovenient for us. Airstream people have the reputation of being snobs, some are and proud of it I think, but I'd like to change that.
pickettmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #24
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Simple solution....Print this and post out front

AIRSTREAM POSTER.pdf
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #25
shadedsilver

2014 27' FB International
Bisbee , Arizona
Weve has ours for 2 years. Yes, they are noticeable...but you need to get more social skills. SOB owners are usually most curious. A polite comment or two is all that's required. As for AS owners, you might learn something.

Dog haters are across every social group...even elite suburbs

I agree with others...chill out and relax at the Airstream.
shadedsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #26

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Gloucester City , New Jersey
I love it when people stop by and tell me how much they like our Bambi. I am usually the one who says, "Would you like to see inside?" I love going into a campground and seeing another Airstream, as many times we have been the only ones.
Little Silve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #27
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
There are a lot of people here who feel that everyone should be happy to show strangers around, let them tour your Airstream, drop in for a chat, pet your dog, borrow your car, hug your kids. . .
And sometimes they disparage anyone who doesn't isn't as outgoing as they are.
Sometimes I just want to be left in peace, and I don't feel the need to justify my actions or post signs.
Understand that everyone isn't like you.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #28

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
To Each His Own

Count me among those that feel there is nothing wrong with wanting privacy and that owning an Airstream shouldn't require an open house policy. I am surprised and disappointed at the hostility in this blog toward such a point of view.
bertkauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #29
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
OK folks - Moderator hat on:

This thread has taken a turn towards the dark side and a number of posts have been removed. Please remember that it's sometimes tough to discern whether or not you may be kidding within the confines of the written word. We expect members to be relatively polite just as you would be in person, several posts have failed by this metric.

here's a link to the site rules if a refresher is needed: http://www.airforums.com/forums/misc...ork&page=rules

This bit may be of particular interest:

Quote:
Be Courteous!
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again.Welcome newcomers to our growing community. Many of our community's members have a wealth of knowledge and much to share. Please help new members learn about how to find information and resources and how to get involved in the Community. Our underlying philosophy is that the relationships we build here are what sets us apart from other boards - we are more friendly, helpful, insightful, respectful and fun.
Thanks for understanding

AirForums Custom Search
Old 09-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #30
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I fully appreciate the love of privacy, and you should realize that your situation is the exception rather than the norm. I hope that people you encounter don't bug you too much, but on the other hand you never know who you might meet! Or, maybe consider getting a portable electric fence setup that you can put around your campsite. I really like the idea of crime scene tape, or maybe BIOHAZARD warning signs!

It's a hard balancing act..... on one hand, you're out to "get away from it all", but then you DO have a trailer that is definitely NOT run-of-the-mill. Unless you camp somewhere WAYYYYY away from people, you're going to get a lot of the friendly types that assume you are, too. I get the same thing with our Avion. I have found that most travel trailer'ers are very social, friendly folks that LOVE to share stories of their trailers and their travels. Occasionally, I run into folks who are obviously NOT the social types and I give them plenty of respect. Lots of people have no clue about aluminum-skinned trailers. I LOVE talking to people about their trailers, tow vehicles, and stuff in general. It's probably as hard for you to understand the more "social" types as it is for others to understand your perspective. Respect goes both ways.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Harrisburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesignlady View Post
Simple solution....Print this and post out front

Attachment 248779
Love it. I don't mind having people stop by, but I just might have to hang this poster up anyway because it's so funny!
Bewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Wow! All of a sudden I'm a little unsre wether I should say hello to fellow Airstreamers. I think our decision to go with an Airstream was when we were staying in a Class C in Baker City OR. They were having a rally and as we walked around admiring the different rigs, everyone was friendly and having a great time. We really felt like we wanted to be a part of the Airstream fraternity.

We've met some really great people over the last five years and we love talking airstream wether to an owner or not. I understand that some people want more privacy than others but we always thought this went with the territory.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #33
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Been there done that - both good and bad. Airstream ownership is like getting married to a celebrity and discovering the paparazzi are always hanging around for the most inconvenient moment to appear or autograph seekers at your table in a restaurant. Sadly for some it comes as an unwelcome surprise, for others it is adapting to new "rules of engagement."
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #34

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I guess I'm used to folks wanting to see my trailer. I owned a Hi-Lo for 14 years and at least one time a year someone would see the top of the unit going up and down upon arrival or departure and come over wanting to ask me about the trailer and seeing what the inside looks like.

I've had my Classic slide out for 10 years now and it's not unusual for someone to come by who has never seen a slide out on an Airstream. Quite honestly I've always found these folks very respectful and if they came at an inopportune time, I'd invite them to come back and visit at another time.

Not everyone has a local Airstream dealer or an RV show to see an Airstream close up. Personally it's an ice breaker in meeting folks and we enjoy visiting.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:00 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
We tend to be friendly but won't ever be "showing" our Airstream insides. Will never do that. Let me explain. We were camped at a really nice resort campground in Crede Colorado several years ago in our new Motorhome. Some nice people camped by us came over and said how much they liked it. One thing lead to another and they ask to peak inside. Like a good neighbor I took them on a tour. Well, my wife and I took a walk to the clubhouse and never thought anything about it. Later after these nice neighbors left the campground my wife noticed she was missing something. A very nice emerald ring I had bought her. No lectures please I know you shouldn't travel with stuff like that but she brought it and it went missing. We learned a big lesson that trip. We lock our door even if we are just out for a walk and never ever show a stranger our home on wheels. Nope Nada Never!!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Wow, what a thread. Probably more answer than the original poster had in mind. Yes as one poster put it, owning an AS is like owning a Ferrari, or maybe a Lamborghini, people admire and have questions. Owning an obviously OLD one is even more so, like my friend who has a 1937 Bentley, it draws a crowd everywhere, and he loves it.

Some people love people and love Airstreams and love to talk, share, and socialize. I've learned more from fellow Airstreamers about how to take care of our AS, what to watch out for, etc. And we have passed it on to other newbies.

I didn't realize there were so many people who bought an AS and didn't want to interact at all, so now I know, if you have an EBOLA or QUARANTINE sign posted by your AS I will definitely not knock on your door, and will definitely leave you alone.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:38 PM   #37
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Some random thoughts...

My dad (who is in his 90's) handles unwanted sales calls by interrupting early on and asking what the caller is wearing. It stops the call cold - very effective. How about a sign in your window that says "ask me about (shocking topic here)"
Ask me about nude-streaming
Ask me about burial insurance
Mobile Knacker
Ginsu Knife Representative....
For some folks their Airstream is a personal sanctuary and they would no more give a tour than they would invite strangers into their master bedrooms. Fair enough.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 09-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Thanks for the input everyone. The car analogy is close to home, I own a 1966 Porsche 911 and yes people will comment about it, but I have never been asked if they could take it for drive or sit in it. Does seem odd that a travel trailer can draw so much attention. We just wanted something of a high quality than other SOB trailers.

People are funny

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

"People are funny "

That about sums it up Joe! Gotta have that sense of humour!
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Get a NO VISITORS sign.....or maybe a strip of CRIME SCENE yellow tape.
or post a sign that says contact precautions! Keep away 50 ft.
Xicaque is offline   Reply With Quote