Old 07-15-2016, 07:37 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Tourist tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
We pulled into a rest area on I 90 in Pa. and a tour bus full of Koreans that we had just passed a few miles before pulled in beside us. One guy came over because he wanted to meet the brave lady who had been driving. It blew his mind that my DW Laura was at the wheel. Laura invited him in for a look around tour as he had never seen such a thing before. Wouldn't you know the whole bus wanted to see the rig. many photos were taken. Lots of thumbs up signs given. We were having a break from driving and enjoying our coffee. It was fun and we did not feel imposed upon.
Now that's something you will never forget or regret - very nice!

Old 07-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #156
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Quote:
We pulled into a rest area on I 90 in Pa. and a tour bus full of Koreans that we had just passed a few miles before pulled in beside us. One guy came over because he wanted to meet the brave lady who had been driving. It blew his mind that my DW Laura was at the wheel. Laura invited him in for a look around tour as he had never seen such a thing before. Wouldn't you know the whole bus wanted to see the rig. many photos were taken. Lots of thumbs up signs given. We were having a break from driving and enjoying our coffee. It was fun and we did not feel imposed upon.

Very nice of you ...

2017 27FB FC

Old 07-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Guess I was born lucky. Most folks tend to avoid me for some reason.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #158
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have always enjoyed showing off the trailer and just plain talking about RVing in general.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #159
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calary , Alberta
Quote:

That's awesome!! It was probably a highlight for their holiday and maybe yours too. Love hearing stories like this. The world is just too nasty and it's nice to hear "human" stories like this. Thanks so much for sharing
Old 07-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #160
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St Charles , Missouri
You should have an Avion. We get all of the Airstream people wanting to look at the difference (a lot of who comment the Avion is built better), fellow Avion owners, Avion/Airstream potential owners, as well as all of the curious people wanting to know what year it is.

But we enjoy it, have met a lot of nice people. Love the rally tours so we get to see other trailers, but we usually miss seeing a bunch while showing ours off or striking up conversation with fellow owners. This is our second Avion, looked at a ton of Airstreams at dealers, and have looked online at floor plans/trailers for years. So the vintage and modified ones peak my interest more.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #161
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1993 34' Excella
COVINGTON , rich patch road
I have reed all the post above, We (hubby & I) went to Canopener in Jan. Had a blast. All and I mean All where so nice. They wanted to make new friends and show off the AS. I loved it. Can't wait to go back. No one there knew what it was to be mean or unfriendly. Thank each of them for the great time I had.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #162
2 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
IMHO I think you should have a sign made and post it near the front of your rig or TV. It should read " I'm from a small town of 570 friendy people and 1 very grumpy old man, guess which one lives here"

I'm just saying.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #163
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 19' International
Santa Margarita , California
We were just out with ours for three weeks. Only had two people talk to us about it, one at a gas station. People who don't already have an AS are just envious, that's what I think :-)
Old 07-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #164
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I think most of the "organized" events I've attended have had some kind of time set aside for touring other folks' Airstreams. I've done Alumapalooza 3 times, Canopener, Alumalina (multiple times), and this years WBCCI International. Every one of these rallys provided a paper you could put in your window if you were willing to let folks see your trailer. There have always been many more people willing to allow "tourists" than I could have visited. What's been really fun has been having people in SilverLeaf II who have read about all the stuff I've done to my trailer ask to see stuff they've read about (the Vesta dishwasher gets a LOT of attention). It's more unusual to get the same level of enthusiasm (or interest) from SOB owners. What's really a challenge is when you're invited in one with imitation everything and you're asked, "what do you think?"
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:17 PM   #165
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Santa Maria , California
I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but you don't have to show anyone the inside of your home, nor of your trailer. That said, people are just trying to be friendly. An airstream is not just a trailer, it is an artistic statement and recognizing this is one of the reasons people flock to them. You see 1000s of square cardboard boxes that others call "trailers" for every airstream. When a fellow airstream owner sees another, they are often drawn to be friendly--there is something in common. Anyone who doesn't feel that way, a simple gesture of "I'm sorry, we're eating" or something like that will give the clue. A person that doesn't like dogs...well, say "this is the dog's campsite. He is in charge here."
Old 07-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #166
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
Hmmm, happens once in a while in about 4 mos in the AS per year. I find most folks just want to chat and stop for a variety of reasons and this typically happens at the large RV parks. They just use the AS as something to kick off the conversation with. I don't mind unless I am eating, or obviously busy. Like you I am active and gone most of the time, so when at camp am tired and hungry. One thing I don't do is keep extra chairs out, so they don't have the ability to sit and stay.

When I want peace and quiet, I boon dock and reap the benefits of my solar system. I do this most of the time except for one nighters in transit when I need to dump or get water; urban areas, or long winter stays where power and amenities are a must.

I do get folks at gas stations though all the time, I just say sorry but I am in a rush. Maybe make up a cute "Please, do not disturb sign, campers at rest" with a cute sketch as not to seem too standoffish?