Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #161
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1993 34' Excella
COVINGTON , rich patch road
I have reed all the post above, We (hubby & I) went to Canopener in Jan. Had a blast. All and I mean All where so nice. They wanted to make new friends and show off the AS. I loved it. Can't wait to go back. No one there knew what it was to be mean or unfriendly. Thank each of them for the great time I had.
angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #162
2 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
IMHO I think you should have a sign made and post it near the front of your rig or TV. It should read " I'm from a small town of 570 friendy people and 1 very grumpy old man, guess which one lives here"

I'm just saying.
Munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #163
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 19' International
Santa Margarita , California
We were just out with ours for three weeks. Only had two people talk to us about it, one at a gas station. People who don't already have an AS are just envious, that's what I think :-)
ellenbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #164
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I think most of the "organized" events I've attended have had some kind of time set aside for touring other folks' Airstreams. I've done Alumapalooza 3 times, Canopener, Alumalina (multiple times), and this years WBCCI International. Every one of these rallys provided a paper you could put in your window if you were willing to let folks see your trailer. There have always been many more people willing to allow "tourists" than I could have visited. What's been really fun has been having people in SilverLeaf II who have read about all the stuff I've done to my trailer ask to see stuff they've read about (the Vesta dishwasher gets a LOT of attention). It's more unusual to get the same level of enthusiasm (or interest) from SOB owners. What's really a challenge is when you're invited in one with imitation everything and you're asked, "what do you think?"
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:17 PM   #165
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Largo , Florida
I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but you don't have to show anyone the inside of your home, nor of your trailer. That said, people are just trying to be friendly. An airstream is not just a trailer, it is an artistic statement and recognizing this is one of the reasons people flock to them. You see 1000s of square cardboard boxes that others call "trailers" for every airstream. When a fellow airstream owner sees another, they are often drawn to be friendly--there is something in common. Anyone who doesn't feel that way, a simple gesture of "I'm sorry, we're eating" or something like that will give the clue. A person that doesn't like dogs...well, say "this is the dog's campsite. He is in charge here."
eliyahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #166
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
Hmmm, happens once in a while in about 4 mos in the AS per year. I find most folks just want to chat and stop for a variety of reasons and this typically happens at the large RV parks. They just use the AS as something to kick off the conversation with. I don't mind unless I am eating, or obviously busy. Like you I am active and gone most of the time, so when at camp am tired and hungry. One thing I don't do is keep extra chairs out, so they don't have the ability to sit and stay.

When I want peace and quiet, I boon dock and reap the benefits of my solar system. I do this most of the time except for one nighters in transit when I need to dump or get water; urban areas, or long winter stays where power and amenities are a must.

I do get folks at gas stations though all the time, I just say sorry but I am in a rush. Maybe make up a cute "Please, do not disturb sign, campers at rest" with a cute sketch as not to seem too standoffish?
robi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #167
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Jackson , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Sometimes it's surprising who you meet. We were up in Door County Wi. A few years back. An Airstream pulls in a few sites from ours. After a few days the occupants pass by on the road and I engage them in a conversation. As it ends up they are newbees with lots of questions. I refer them here to the forum as a good place to get answers. As it ends up they tell be they've been reading the forum for a while for just that purpose. They ask me what my screen name is and when I tell them they chuckle. One of them said wait a second I'll be right back. She comes back with a stack of paper all of which are posts I have done over time on various topics. She says she prints out the ones most useful and keeps them in the trailer. What a hoot!

The other magnet that has drawn folks to the trailer is the Airforums decal. I've met some of you at campgrounds where we coincidently have been staying at. That decal definitely means a visit.

Jack

Where can I get this decal?
Slide Out Society #72

Exploring the country in our beloved Monkey Barrel
nomadleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Leslie when you become a Airforums supporter by donating $20.00 they send you a decal.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:05 PM   #169
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Many trailer owners attend rallys simply because they enjoy being around others who share their like for a specific brand. Airstream rallys are highly popular. If you are not a friendly, open person, I would camp far from others , and do hang a "private residence"sign out. As a Porsche owner I sometimes attend car cruise ins to see what others drive and a chat with them about their ride. Same situation. But no reason anyone had to join in. It's you life to live as you see fit.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #170
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
From Dextah are ya..? I love Maine. I come from a Pennsylvania home where people dropped in almost daily. My mom made the best pies and molasses cookies..people always seemed to have a reason the stop in to chat.
That said, I miss those times. I'm nearly 60 and these days you don't go see someone without an appointment. The AS brings some of that neighborly spontaneity back for me. When I'm away from the trailer I'm hiking or fishing or, ok fishing...and when I come back to camp I'm ready to put my feet up and have a beverage and maybe have some company. We don't use the television so reading books, playing music together or having company is our evening. And if you happen to drop in with a banjo or mandolin all the better.
Your AS is iconic and attracts attention, I'd suggest putting up with as much as you can handle. Someone you meet just might be the problem solver or help you need tomorrow.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #171
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Jackson , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Leslie when you become a Airforums supporter by donating $20.00 they send you a decal.

Thanks so much!
Slide Out Society #72

Exploring the country in our beloved Monkey Barrel
nomadleslie is offline   Reply With Quote