Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
You have got to be kidding me - isn't that illegal to deny service due to the age of a trailer?

Wow....
Sadly... Just like "freedom of the press." You are entitled only to do business on your terms when you are on your own turf. We may not make up placards and head to the mall (private property).

I've got reservations for later this year at a campground with a 10-year-old-rule in Bend, OR. I've been at a primo resort like this before near Zion N.P. They set the rules. We agree to participate only on their terms.

Something has been said about these campgrounds not knowing or understanding whether a superbly restored Airstream complies with their rules. But vintage owners would steer clear or have other options if they're turned away at the gate.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Tucson , Arizona
You can live in any RV park in Deming. They'd probably elect you mayor in Lordsburg.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
In fairness to RV park owners and managers they do have their own business's image to maintain. We've all seen poorly maintained rigs that are 'eye sores' that can reflect on park 'standards'. I'm sure the age cut off is arbiturary. When we check in to a park that may have such a standard I, if possible, park our rig in view of the check in counter. I don't even have to ask for a site. "Hello, THAT'S one heck of a rig, how many nights are you staying?" is our most likely greeting. Of course our set up isn't the norm but most ALL Airstream's, new or old, that are proudly maintained will be admitted without question to it's age.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7290301.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	125138   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03369.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	125139  

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Neil,

Beautiful pictures of your beautiful trailer. Love the one in the redwoods....someday....

Michael
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
In my somewhat limited experience with this issue (I've never tried to stay for more than a few nights in such a place), when I pull up, I make sure the trailer is spic and span and my truck hasn't just gone through a mud wallow in 4wd throwing mud all over it (at least not without a wash afterwards) and just a glance out the window at the rig has been enough for the folks behind the desk to let me in. But probably someday it'll not work.

So then I'll revert to a paraphrase of the old Groucho Marx line, when he was turned down for membership in an exclusive and apparently anti-Semitic club: Well, I wouldn't want to be a member of any place with low enough standards that it would stoop so low as to admit me to membership anyway!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
In my somewhat limited experience with this issue (I've never tried to stay for more than a few nights in such a place), when I pull up, I make sure the trailer is spic and span and my truck hasn't just gone through a mud wallow in 4wd throwing mud all over it (at least not without a wash afterwards) and just a glance out the window at the rig has been enough for the folks behind the desk to let me in. But probably someday it'll not work.

So then I'll revert to a paraphrase of the old Groucho Marx line, when he was turned down for membership in an exclusive and apparently anti-Semitic club: Well, I wouldn't want to be a member of any place with low enough standards that it would stoop so low as to admit me to membership anyway!
, sad because I'm old enough to remember Groucho making that comment.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #27
Silver Sneaker

2006 16' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Have to ask. Wasn't there a thread to do with listing those parks where people have been turned away for having an older RV?

I'd also like to know why there is so much fear of people who are down and out.
Elvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Face value answer

It speaks to the max usable lifespan of a regular
"Travel Trailer".

But these.......aint just regular trailers.

A 1976 Argosy that has been restored and painted
needs no apology.

Therefore, full disclosure and honesty is the best policy.

An honest answer: "My unit was fully restored in year".
That began the date of service. A face value answer.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
I think the 15 year thing is a polite way of saying "your trailer looks like crap you cant stay here"
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Parks often have mechanisms in place to keep out folks they don't want. Of course, some parks do it purely out of snootiness, but others do it to keep a more campground-like feel to the place (=temporary abode while on vacation/snowbirding). A really common mechanism is the fabled 10/15 year rule, which excludes really ratty "hunters special" rigs.

We also practice exclusion, but not with a 10/15 rule. It's pretty simple. All of our rates are stated as a broad range. If somebody comes in that we don't want, we quote the highest rate. They leave. (It does require developing an antenna for instant decisions.)

Lynn
Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #31
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvie View Post
I'd also like to know why there is so much fear of people who are down and out.
The problem I've heard described is one of people traveling in RVs that do not have the capacity to support what they are doing and who therefore place undue reliance on campground facilities.

It is rare to find a 20 year old SOB that is fully functional. I was parked next to someone last fall who had such a rig. There was some corner delamination and the freshwater tank and frozen and cracked and reportedly had been colonized by wasps. These last were, thankfully, exterminated by the time of my neighbor's arrival.

That particular campground had a sufficient number of privies and showers on site that it wasn't a problem, and since there were nearby restaurants, there was no need for my neighbors to prepare food in their trailer.

On the other hand some campgrounds I've stayed at that have full hookups don't have showers or bathroom facilities, at all, for guests, so such a setup wouldn't work.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #32
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I pulled all the vinyl graphics off my alfa to help hide the age. But I can't lie after '07 when they closed shop.
I was wondering how the AS managed to skirt this, thanks all for the posts.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
All of our rates are stated as a broad range. If somebody comes in that we don't want, we quote the highest rate. They leave.
Now I know why it was so expensive in Angel Fire, but I wouldn't leave!

The only place I can remember an age rule was in Bend—maybe it is the place Bob was going to. It was a "resort" and expensive, but the only place we could actually find in Bend. Sometimes directions in Woodalls and AAA are impossible to understand and this was one of those cases. I should have found other places on Google maps the night before, but neglected to—next time I will.

They were very picky about where we could park the trailer and where we could park the truck. Next to us was a truck camper that had to be on the RV part of the pad while the truck had to be on another part even though the truck never went anywhere.

Another age rule is that we have to be 55 or more. I've seen that in a few places and I wish they would card me to make sure I'm old enough, but they never do. I never ask whether that means both of us, or just one. If both, that discriminates against trophy wives and should be illegal.

I suppose there are campgrounds where you have to be old and your trailer has to be young.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Now I know why it was so expensive in Angel Fire, but I wouldn't leave!

The only place I can remember an age rule was in Bend—maybe it is the place Bob was going to. It was a "resort" and expensive, but the only place we could actually find in Bend. Sometimes directions in Woodalls and AAA are impossible to understand and this was one of those cases. I should have found other places on Google maps the night before, but neglected to—next time I will.

They were very picky about where we could park the trailer and where we could park the truck. Next to us was a truck camper that had to be on the RV part of the pad while the truck had to be on another part even though the truck never went anywhere.

Another age rule is that we have to be 55 or more. I've seen that in a few places and I wish they would card me to make sure I'm old enough, but they never do. I never ask whether that means both of us, or just one. If both, that discriminates against trophy wives and should be illegal.

I suppose there are campgrounds where you have to be old and your trailer has to be young.

Gene
Wait a second, I understand the trailer rule entirely and that they have full right to do so, using it as an appropriate way to screen people who may be coming in (and would likely violate other specific rules in the fine print such as quiet hours and the like), but it acts as an easy way to say no.

However, I do NOT understand the age rule. A different price, sure. A different part of the park even, sure. But flat out denying service to a person because of age is offensive. What is the purpose? Are they getting government tax breaks or under a different set of regulations for certain age brackets of customers? If so, then I understand, just as a community senior center housing has minimum age restrictions.

But if it is being done due to the belief that someone who is younger will inherently be rowdier, noisier, or more immature, I am incredibly offended and I would tell them so upon being refused service (in a polite manner of course- not sarcasm). They might as well not serve certain races then too. Or females for that matter.

Sorry for the rant. I'll stop now.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Now I know why it was so expensive in Angel Fire, but I wouldn't leave! ... Gene
You ain't seen nuthin! This morning's paper brought a story about the resort's planned RV resort, a mile or so (as the bird flies) from us. We were a little nervous until we read the end of the article. Their intended nightly rate is $160.

Lynn
Old 08-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #36
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maybe the parks that restrict access to people under a certain age are run by people who were never young.

But, when I'm in a restaurant with kids who scream, bonk people over the head with a spoon, go around to the tables being cute and other violations of what I think is appropriate restaurant behavior, then I am all for age restrictions. And then there are the people with cell phones talking loudly in restaurants….

And, when I was young and was looked down upon for having a beard (it is great not to have to shave!), wearing jeans, liking rock 'n' roll, and having long hair, I resented those fogies who were so judgmental about me—not realizing I was just as judgmental about their discriminatory attitudes.

People don't like people who don't look like them and act like them. This is reflected in age restrictions for people and RV's. We were near the ugliest, most beat up trailer I've ever seen at a campground in Big Sur. The people were very nice.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
wow! i had no idea rv parks did that. ..so how do you avoid it? i suggest boondocking. never really saw much point paying to sit in a crummy little rv park anyway. if i wanted to live like that i would move to the city and find myself a nice safe little gated community with a guard house and ticky tacky mcmansions all piled in on top of each other and the h.o.a. to tell me if my grass was getting too long or what color i'm allowed to paint my front door! glad i got this little tid bit of info. i would rather sit in a walmart parking lot than deal with that kind of crap! i just figured a camper was for precisely that ....camping! geez that's just sad and pathetic in my opinion....and that's all i have to say about that
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #38

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojer View Post
wow! i had no idea rv parks did that. ..so how do you avoid it? i suggest boondocking. never really saw much point paying to sit in a crummy little rv park anyway. if i wanted to live like that i would move to the city and find myself a nice safe little gated community with a guard house and ticky tacky mcmansions all piled in on top of each other and the h.o.a. to tell me if my grass was getting too long or what color i'm allowed to paint my front door! glad i got this little tid bit of info. i would rather sit in a walmart parking lot than deal with that kind of crap! i just figured a camper was for precisely that ....camping! geez that's just sad and pathetic in my opinion....and that's all i have to say about that
I suspect the drivers of million-dollar buses don't want to look down out of their windows and see my slightly scruffy-looking old Argosy. (I say looking out the windows because rumor has it they don't come outside much. )

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
I'm all for keeping away the immature. Believe me, I get really frustrated with how inappropriate common courtesy has gotten. I am probably one of the few people my age who seem to stand behind that no cell phones at the table or restaurant rule (an age which I specifically don't state on the Air forums because I know it means I will get less attention and respect in forum posts when I need help on certain topics). There are many honorable qualities which have been thrown out the window with 75% of the recent generation.

However, I do recognize the fact that it is private property and thus everyone is entitled to do as they wish. It just irks me. I could just as easily comment that I am offering courtesy parking, but only to people under the age of 55. Because those over the age of 55 are more prone to vision-related issues and I don't feel that they should be driving on my property for the risk of causing an accident. However, everyone is welcome to park on my property, which I don't currently have...haha...

Besides, the bottom line is I love all Airstreamers equally. And maybe I don't usually get too frustrated because I have many similar values, and have things like a 1959 Pacer, a 1962 Western Flyer Stratoflyer bicycle, and a 1948 JC Higgins Colorflow bicycle, all of which are almost twice as old as me...

So lets hear it for the Airstreamers, young and old alike
Don't forget to keep out the Winnebago trash

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv parks