Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #81
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
If you have bedding that you much prefer to a motel's standard issue, if you are on a special diet-- or should be-- RVing has its advantages over motel stays.

If you truly get a lot of enjoyment over something you "waste" money on, then your money is not wasted.

(Just checking in from Glacier National Park, partly spent canoeing on Kintla Lake, away from the crowds.)
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #82

2016 25' International
1977 31' Sovereign
Napa , California
I think it really depends on ones lifestyle. We have an 11 year old, both work full time AND own two businesses. We spend on average 1 1/2- 2 months total each year traveling & camping. We do weekend trips during the school year and longer trips over summer, winter break & spring break. I work for our local school district & have the same days off as our daughter (paid) & my husbands work contract allows him to take off whenever he wants (unpaid). It's a stategy that works well for us.

We have the philosophy that we work as much as we do so we can enjoy life as much as we do- and that means camping, exploring & lots of family time.
mcksauntees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
Retired and love to travel.
Last year we used it 58 nights.
This year we've been out 72 nights so far. A lot of out and back trips some as little as 2 nights others as long as 2 1/2 weeks.

As for justifying the cost of the trailer, I use fuzzy math.
Example cost of trailer for the first night , say $ 68,000 is $68,000 the next night is only $ 39,435 the third night is only $ 19,717.50 etc. So the more nights you use the trailer the cheeper it gets ��
Look at it this way you get to enjoy it for a bunch of nights and still have a resale value when you sell it.

All you have after moteling is a stack of receipts and maybe an itch or two.

Of course this doesn't include the RV park or gas or all the other stuff you had to outfit your rig.

Don't get hung up on the cost of ownership it's still cheeper the moteling and having your own bed and shower you know what to expect. Besides no bed bugs unless you bring them yourself ��
I'm glad someone else uses fuzzy math! I started out using it on my boat, my first Chinook Salmon was $1,000/lb. and after five years I got down to $71/lbs but I saw something I had to have for the boat last week and now I am at $126/lb.