Old 08-25-2016, 11:59 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Monmouth , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post

We spend a lot of money for 3-4 nights a month. A really nice hotel would be cheaper, but we wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.
A toast to you new trailer and a wish that you enjoy decades of camping, which will eventually be way less than hotels.

I am 32 and my wife just turned 33. Our kids are 5 and 6. We have spent 27 nights in our trailer since April. We have done pretty good to get out deposits my wife going back to work. I am a teacher, me in years past we have spent a solid half of the summer camping on my cousin's river bank.

This July I got a new TV. With the more comfortable ride and AC we have ventured quite a bit further.

I am hopeful that we will bump into a late model within 5 years, nevertheless we might decide that reminding our vintage model is more favorable. Our constraint is two boys who will eventually not be will willing or able to share the goucho bed, which my wife and I are willing but unable to do.

When I sold out SOB for the hope of finding an Airstream my wife was highly scepticle. We were living on one teacher income and the SOB was paid off. Last week, after we returned from a 9 day trip to BC, she said it was the only good thing I had ever done that she wasn't in full support of to begin with.

To the OP, go buy one! If you are undecided that it will be a long term commitment, buy a used one in whatever condition your budget or DIY ability will afford. As long as you don't buy a "project" you will be able to get out of the investment with little loss.

2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 Crew Longbed
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #72
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I spent 7 days at a rally last summer and from Dec 28/15 to April 4/16 in my AS last winter and plan on about the same this winter so being able to sleep in my own bed every night and cook what I want is great, plus I carry my cat so no worries about that. Also as I will be spending most of my time helping out at Habitat for Humanity the campgrounds are very inexpensive. Also there is a AS only park near Pensacola FL called Mystic Springs Campground that is $11 per day nice quiet place right beside a river, big sandy lots and pet friendly, will be stopping there for a few days omw to Louisiana .

Old 08-26-2016, 12:18 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Because we financed the trailer and make a payment every month I try to use it as often as possible- 3-4 weekends per month.
Even with a paid for trailer I would want to use it often.
If your trailer is paid for, a weekend at a state park is less than going to the movies.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Retired and love to travel.
Last year we used it 58 nights.
This year we've been out 72 nights so far. A lot of out and back trips some as little as 2 nights others as long as 2 1/2 weeks.

As for justifying the cost of the trailer, I use fuzzy math.
Example cost of trailer for the first night , say $ 68,000 is $68,000 the next night is only $ 39,435 the third night is only $ 19,717.50 etc. So the more nights you use the trailer the cheeper it gets ��
Look at it this way you get to enjoy it for a bunch of nights and still have a resale value when you sell it.

All you have after moteling is a stack of receipts and maybe an itch or two.

Of course this doesn't include the RV park or gas or all the other stuff you had to outfit your rig.

Don't get hung up on the cost of ownership it's still cheeper the moteling and having your own bed and shower you know what to expect. Besides no bed bugs unless you bring them yourself ��
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe
2004 Chevy SSR+ 4 other trailers & 6 other Cars & Trucks and 2016 Kia Soul EV
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
My wife and I are not retired. I get 5 weeks of vacation every year and we use most of it camping. We also sneak in some weekend trips that do not require vacation time. I really wish we could use it more, but it is difficult when working unless you have a place close by that you like to visit.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:11 PM   #76
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
About 180 days this year so far....

Non typical use though. It serves as our second home in NM and AZ where I work for part of the year.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon73 View Post
I get 5 weeks of vacation every year and we use most of it camping.
I used to get 5 weeks, but the company I work for changed the vacation policy recently, and now we are allowed to take the vacation, sick, and personal days that we need.

We have nights scheduled throughout the coming fall, winter and spring, and then if things go as planned, we can retire next summer and start taking longer trips.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
3 weeks vacation now-
4 weeks vacation in 3 more years-
4 weeks is all we get.
I worked for a company in the past with 6 weeks vacation.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #79
Rivet Master

It kinda doesn't matter how much others use their RV

It's how much you will use it

It's how much it will cost you per night camping.

It's whether you like staying in a campground

It's how you will use it or need it.

It depends if you can afford to lose money due to depreciation.

I use mine for festivals, and get togethers. Motels don't really work for me.

I have had my used trailer, that I put a lot of money into, for about eleven years…It's costed me about 30 to 40 dollars a night.

BUT…say money was tight, AND I was paying $40 to $100 dollars for a campground, plus the cost of the trailer. Motels might be a better option.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Motels is never a better option...
Camping:
Spending a fortune to live like a homeless person...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-27-2016, 05:30 PM   #81
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
If you have bedding that you much prefer to a motel's standard issue, if you are on a special diet-- or should be-- RVing has its advantages over motel stays.

If you truly get a lot of enjoyment over something you "waste" money on, then your money is not wasted.

(Just checking in from Glacier National Park, partly spent canoeing on Kintla Lake, away from the crowds.)
Old 08-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #82

2016 25' International
Napa , California
I think it really depends on ones lifestyle. We have an 11 year old, both work full time AND own two businesses. We spend on average 1 1/2- 2 months total each year traveling & camping. We do weekend trips during the school year and longer trips over summer, winter break & spring break. I work for our local school district & have the same days off as our daughter (paid) & my husbands work contract allows him to take off whenever he wants (unpaid). It's a stategy that works well for us.

We have the philosophy that we work as much as we do so we can enjoy life as much as we do- and that means camping, exploring & lots of family time.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
Retired and love to travel.
Last year we used it 58 nights.
This year we've been out 72 nights so far. A lot of out and back trips some as little as 2 nights others as long as 2 1/2 weeks.

As for justifying the cost of the trailer, I use fuzzy math.
Example cost of trailer for the first night , say $ 68,000 is $68,000 the next night is only $ 39,435 the third night is only $ 19,717.50 etc. So the more nights you use the trailer the cheeper it gets ��
Look at it this way you get to enjoy it for a bunch of nights and still have a resale value when you sell it.

All you have after moteling is a stack of receipts and maybe an itch or two.

Of course this doesn't include the RV park or gas or all the other stuff you had to outfit your rig.

Don't get hung up on the cost of ownership it's still cheeper the moteling and having your own bed and shower you know what to expect. Besides no bed bugs unless you bring them yourself ��
I'm glad someone else uses fuzzy math! I started out using it on my boat, my first Chinook Salmon was $1,000/lb. and after five years I got down to $71/lbs but I saw something I had to have for the boat last week and now I am at $126/lb.