Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Asking the wrong question.

The first major issue is can YOU afford the daily fixed costs of ownership. You're purchasing another home. Period. Can you afford two homes and all of the cost that entails WITHOUT financial challenges. Next, the various out-of-pocket variable costs associated with each trip. You can plan best if you truly have decent extra cash flow each and every month of owning the extra home in reach. Once you get that figured out, you use it as much as you can. I use either of mine about 180 days per year. We're either at a stationary fix home OR roaming the USA. This means properties are VACANT the other days. As my accountant told us: Spend your money on the stuff that will bring joy in YOUR retirement - however, don't be rediculess in the process. We are retired and educated the children to now earn their own way in the world. If you can, get a good used AS that really is bigger than you may think you need - but within your budget. Remember, an AS isn't a need, it's a pretty want. If you take note, you'll see all the ones bought in haste up for sale. Don't become that owner.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Don't Even Try

First of all, I am retired. Retired at 58 in 2010 and wife did too about the same time. We are averaging about 60 days per year with a low of 38 one year due to grandchildren being born and all that sort of stuff.

If you are looking for some kind of cost analysis so you can pencil out the "worth" of this investment save yourself a lot of trouble right now a quit. If you own a beach home you probably already know what I am thinking.

What you see as your future right now is not going to be the same as the reality coming at you. Two sons both close to heading out on their own will create some issues you can't for see. We have a daughter who moved away and the Airstream gives flexibility when we visit. Our general interests have changed too and we are getting more into traveling as a way of seeing the sights. Before we went out to camp and a lake or in the forest. Now we like to hit the road. The Airstream has really helped us to do all of these things.

Size? That is up to you. The smaller the better in a lot of ways but the larger ones have their advantages as well. I didn't want to climb over anyone getting in and out of bed and I wanted a 2 door fridge. We have a 25 FB and it works well for us.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We have a 2014 31' Classic with twin beds and added a 2015 23D International Serenity (one of the last ones left at the end of the model year with street and rear awnings factory installed, convection microwave and the inverter which we removed during modifications) in July of 2015. We use it for the shorter trips where the longer trailer just won't fit in some of the older western parks.

It is very cozy for two. My wife just loves it. Our respective kids are all 31+ so they are not underfoot. It has been extensively modified to what we wanted.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #44
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Every day since I bought it ..... road trip !!!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
We are retired. Since January 2015 have been in it 198 nights. We store it in a shed out back. I
Old 08-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
We are retired and try to spend about 70 nights/year in the AS. We go south for a month in the winter and west for a month in the summer. Throw in a music festival or trip up east to visit relatives and you can see how it works out. We hope to use it more for the next few years, as we have fewer restrictions on our freedom to travel. Is it worth it? If all one considers is the economic aspects, probably not. If you talley the cost of the trailer, tow vehicle, storage, insurance, camping fees and gasoline, it gets scary. You could spend a lot of nights in some pretty classy places and have money left.

Ah, but you wouldn't be staying in your own bed, with your own stuff. You probably wouldn't be able to have you pets with you, and you would probably be staying in some town, rather that in a national or state park or boondocking deep in the mountains, along the coast or in the high desert. That's what makes it "worth it"!

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:18 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
You will find that it is like a vacation home, timeshare, or cabin in the woods. You will have years where you use it a lot and other years the realities of work & life seem to interfere. The aspect we like is we can vary where we go, how long we go for, and we can adjust as we go. As nice as they are Airstreams, like cars and boats, are not appreciating assets which means that one should probably justify the purchase based on how much enjoyment they will get that fits your schedule and lifestyle. The way we have found to improve our chances of getting nights out is to put the trips on our calendar in February and make RV park reservations, and sign up for AS rallies. That is what gets us out of our usual grind of a schedule ...
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:23 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Daphne , Alabama
Join WBCCI and spend 3 to 4 months (or more) per year on the road with like minded souls. We bought a new AS in 2004 and have spent 10 years traveling on the WBCCI caravans, over 100,000 miles (plus trips top Europe and Australia with them). You could literally spend the entire year traveling on one of their many caravans.
IAMGLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #49
gwg
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Glen Mills , Pennsylvania
Business owners both my wife & I, so some flexibility from the road. 70 + per season.
gwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
We have a 25' Safari SS that has the dinette and the couch as well as a bed........
RalphR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:28 PM   #51
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
Not retired and 70 years old. I only use the AS about 20-25 days a year but I enjoy it when I do use it. Money wise I would probably be better off staying at a motel when I travel but I like having my own bed and "things" with me. There is no better travel trailer than an Airstream and there is always someone asking you about it.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
First of all, congratulations on being able to retire so young! We retired at 65 August 2010 and bought our AS March 2015. We only have 6,000 miles and about 60 nights so far but throughly enjoy traveling and "glamping". We love the Oregon State Parks and tend to return to those that have great dog walking trails or beach access. For the total cost, you could go to first class hotels but then the dog (if you have one) would be in the kennel and for great hotels, you are relegated to big cities. More than one friend has referred to our AS as a very expensive silver kennel as we won't travel without it or our dog "Sadie".
Old 08-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
We have finally aged ourselves into a much more flexible schedule but are still working.
We have little or no storage costs and have our own quiet camp along a stream in the country that lets us spend about 12 long weekends a year..and we travel on 2 or 3 longer vacations. I would guess maybe 50-60 nights a year for now. In the next few years we hope to do some 3 week "out West" vacations as we have never been there and I hope we can escape the cold and snow for a winter vacation in the South. We have had a wide variety of RV's for 40+ years and have spent very few nights in a hotel. I don't keep track of the cost of ownership as it's the main pleasure/hobby for us both. If you enjoy camping, you won't regret what it costs but make sure you try very hard to go a lot. There so much to see and so little time. An RV (especially Airstream) is the best way to go.
Dave in WV
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Hutto , Texas
As others have pointed out, only you can really answer the question. Some people love it and others see the towing hassles and the small space as an inconvenience or get claustrophobic. Those that don't or wouldn't enjoy it won't be on this forum to chime in. You need to be able to be with your traveling partner 24x7 in a small space day after day without major issues.

As for size, all trailers need to be larger on the inside and smaller on the outside. 25 ft has always been the best for us. A couple years ago, 25 ft was the most popular AS size sold. (Re: Justin Humphries at Alumafiesta 2014)

As others also have pointed out in this or other threads, you must have a little bit of mechanical sense and a DIY attitude. I can't imagine using any RV, including an AS, and depending on others 100% for service. I carry many spare parts -- handles, water pumps, 30A connectors, taillight lenses, snaps, screws, etc. etc. You get a sense for what will go out over time and carry extras.

The point of all this rambling is that certain personality traits are comfortable with this kind of travel and others will be stressed.

I see many RVs and boats in our storage facility that never leave. There is a large boat in the space behind us with a thick layer of dust and plates from the '80s !

We are not new to "camping". We started in an MG Midget with a pup tent in the early 70's, a VW bus with a tiny tent trailer (the height of optimism is a VW bus with a trailer hitch), and then several 25 ft trailers. We bought a new 25' AS Safari in '97 and a 25' Classic in 2008. Since we gradually moved up in the hobby, we never had to decide if we would be of the right temperament to travel this way.

Our usage has steadily climbed over the years as our life situation has changed. We are now retired and the kids are gone. We are now running about 100 nights a year, from 2 or 3 day 'weekends' to multi-month road trips.

Enjoy your travels.
Wanderer2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:06 PM   #55
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I'm 39, my wife a little old (she won't let me post), kids are 11 and 8, we bought it two years ago for her birthday. We take two trips to the desert: Friday, Sat and Sun. So far that is six days. We take roughly four to six more weekend trips, two are usually, Friday to Monday (four days) so for two trips, that is another eight days. For argument sake, I take four weekend trips (three days x four = 12 days. So in total, roughly 26 days.

For me it wasn't about being worth it. I've always wanted an AS. Both my wife and I are impulsive buyers. We had no plans on purchasing it when we went to the dealer, the dealer just happened to be on our way home.

Next thing I knew, the sales guys taps me on my shoulder and says, congratulations, your wife just signed. Just like that, we got our AS.

Never calculated how times I will use it. Never thought it would fit in my driveway, didn't know if my TV can handle it. Didn't research anything. As I said, impulsive buyer.

So in my opinion, go get it.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:31 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Hello Phil1Ben --

I am a 47 year old professional, still working -- having worked out a schedule where I have a four day weekend every other week, I am averaging about 75 days camping per year; including through the winter time - which in an Airstream, on the east coast mid-Atlantic, is cold, but doable.

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:18 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we retired about two years after we bought our one and only ever Airstream about twelve years ago. We are not campers; We are travelers. I don't count days per year, but we never go for less than a week. [per trip] Our two longest trips were Alaska, 50 days and over 10,000 miles. And cross Country, 3 1/2 months and over 13,000 miles.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:51 AM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
35 to 40 days a year, money limited, time not.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:11 AM   #59

Hi, We bought a used 2010 airstream 23d international serenity last year. My husband and I are in our late 50's. We decide to start traveling now before we retire to find a place we like. we have three boys 14, 21,& 23. We have taken 2 at a time when we camp. longest trip was for 6 days. Excellent. In April my husband says,"start booking them". We go at least one weekend a month, these are usually 3 day trips. love, love, love our airstream. Dream of going to a 28 international serenity someday. but very Happy. Once you start traveling and get a system down you will go more often.
Blauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:21 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Given your same scenario, 3 week long trips (or more) per year + nearly every weekend, holiday weekend-
We take 20-something trips per year and spend 80-something nights per year in the Airstream.
That will increase as our vacation time increase.
It will definitely increase when we retire.
We will camp 3 weekends in September and every week/weekend in October.
Then we will attend a rally in November and December.
Sometimes we go to a rally in January.
February is the only month in which I have not yet camped. We did miss a good weekend one February several years ago due to lack of communication. My wife wanted to go camping but didn't come right out and say, "I want to go camping."
I didn't read her mind either.
After the weekend had come and gone, my wife says, "I thought we would have gone camping last week."
"Well, you never came right out and said that. I guess we could have, but I didn't know you wanted to."
Anyway, we get plenty of use from our trailer- weekends close to home and travel- but we have a 30' and I don't want anything smaller.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote