Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Retired. We have stayed in the Airstream at least 5 months out of the year for the last 10 years. 3 months in Florida in the winter and one long WBCCI caravan in the summer plus some of the local rallies.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #22
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Not campers - travelers ..... there is a difference. Retired, yes.

This year our use is about 5 weeks. Last year we were out about 8 weeks.

Our experience included trips to visit family, Yellowstone, New England, and Western Canada. We also attended two WBCCI Rallys and got out for five local weekend trips to shake down the coach and enjoy the California Coast and Redwoods.

Is it worth it? It depends. What do you want to do in retirement? What lifestyle works for you? What can you afford without negatively impacting your financial security? What makes you smile?

One final comment - do your research. That means you need to understand all the issues - good and bad - that are inherent with the AS product and all other RVs. They are not the same trouble free experience as buying a Honda/Toyota/Buick product.

Good luck with your investigation and research. Pat

PS - the new 23s are supposed to have duct AC = quiet and 15 in wheels = more tire choices.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
.... snip....
So the question I am asking (excluding full-timers) how many days per year are you actually on the road with your Airstream? If you would like please identify if you are retired or still working and other relevant circumstance. I am trying to determine what more experienced people feel is the "over-under" in number of days on the road.Thank you everyone.
If you like it you will use it more and more. If you don't then you will not.

When I first started camping in a small travel trailer, still working and young kids at home, it was just a few weekends per year.
When I got my first Airstream, a 30', 20+ years later, the kids were away in college but I was still working. I found excuses to use the Airstream about every weekend or two. It actually became my second home, my getaway from stress place! Though, the daughters would come from college to spend weekends, and bring along their friends (stressful !!!!).
When I retired in 2010, at first we went to FL for 3 months during winter, in our 25' Safari, and travel to cooler places during summer. We've extended our stay in FL the last few years to 5 months, but now in the 34'. We still love our 25' for traveling long distances.

Add edit:
I just checked my logs for each trailer. During the last 12 months we towed the Safari a little less than 10,000 miles and spent 53 nights in it. During the last 12 months we towed the Excella a little less than 2,000 miles and spent 137 nights in it.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #24
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
2,130 days/nights with not a single item needing repair.

Whoops, just noticed my nose growing.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Also, if you like to tinker, the Airstream provides hours of entertainment.
Good one!
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the Forum!

We bought our 20'FC approx. 6 months prior to retirement with expected use at 2 weeks plus several long weekends. We camped 24 days first six months....loved it and now have camped over 325 nights in first two years! We enjoy other non-camping travel as well but traveling in our little 20' tiny house on wheels has been so enjoyable. We live traveling without reservations and have logged over 20,000 miles in over 35 states visiting national parks, state parks, lakes, rivers and mountains!
We definitely feel the money spent was well worth the enjoyed adventures!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Irrigon , Oregon
Thumbs up Retired D.I.N.K # nights ? Worth it

Quote:
is it it worth it?

So the question I am asking (excluding full-timers) how many days per year are you actually on the road with your Airstream? If you would like please identify if you are retired or still working and other relevant circumstance. I am trying to determine what more experienced people feel is the "over-under" in number of days on the road.Thank you everyone.

We switched from SOB because it was to big,, we were using it a good six weeks a year Granted 2-3 of those were travel for work. until the cancer diagnoses. Then it went up from there living in it for treatment, etc,, that is while we were still working.. After we retired and traded up ( down in size) to our 2015, 27' FB flying cloud. We have had it since sept of 15 we have spent at minimum 21 days not counting the cross country ( Oregon to Massachusetts via Texas that added 45 days) in the last 11 months ?worth it. Lol I think so, as for storage, we live on a small gentleman's farm in eastern Oregon so storage is not an issue, but if you have kids it pays for itself in extra beds when needed. Unless of course you live in a co-op neighborhood where "trailers" are verboten😲 then it can be moved from your storage to a close by park..
Now one last point I want to make is Army corps of engineers parks. When you become of age or disabled they are half price. Some of the best parks in the country.
FunyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Welcome to the forum Phil. A couple things pop into mind after reading all the comments. We're both retirees living in Florida so our Airstream gives us the opportunity to escape the summer heat & humidity here in the sunshine state. This summer we just returned from a 10 week trip visiting all our kids & grandkids from coast to coast, so I guess that adds up to 70+ nights with another 10 day trip pending this fall (maybe), so our AS is our 2nd home. Like any 2nd home the expenses that go with it are expected and accepted.
We looked at a 23ft model but decided we needed the added comfort a 25ft model, that was the right decision for us. Next is buying it right as like any RV or boat its a depreciating asset and the more you pay up front adds up to the more you loose on the back end, so if it is used every day or just once in a while thats fine if you're comfortable with it. I guess what I'm saying is if it works for you buy if not don't.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
Kerri and I are both retired, and we spend about 16 weeks a year traveling in the Airstream.

Enjoy!

Russ
russingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Still a newbie to Airstreaming, but marking the days

I bought my Bambi Dec. 2014. Retired Jan. 2014. So far I have put 12,500+ miles on her (Florida is a long state), and slept 126 nights in her. The mileage is due to a long, meandering trip to DC from Fl. I'd spend more time if it wasn't for volunteer commitments. It is in storage when I don't use it. But the decision is yours. I just love the fact I can pack up and go anytime knowing I'll always have place to sleep.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Park City , Utah
Realistic

A new friend recently confessed his big Motorhome has not turned a wheel in SIX years -- but he has been paying storage.... Nutty...

We're retired -- almost 70 -- started RVing in 2010 -- began 4 years full timing in 2011 -- one trip a month was not enough. Now in an AS Interstate -- in next 12 months we'll use close to 90 days. We just love traveling this way!

IMHO -- 3 weeks a year is not worth the investment--- unless, money is TRULY no object...
Ramjet48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Glen Burnie , Maryland
My wife and I are retired and in our 70's. We bought a brand new 2015 Flying cloud 28W 2 years ago and used it primarily for our big vacation Baltimore to Yellowstone, to Grand Canyon, then home. That was a 4 week trip. since then we have used it for 5 weekend trips. Three of the weekends Tom used it by himself because it was more convienient than a motel. Two weekends we both used it.

We are seriously interested in selling it because we don't use it enough to make it worth keeping. It is in excellent condition. We have used the warranty during its 2 year period to replace the DOMETIC refrigerator and have had all safety recalls issued by the factory corrected.

We chose the Flying Cloud in preference to the International and the Signature versions of 28 foot length because there are more storage cabinets in the galley area.

If you are really interested in purchasing an Airstream and are near the Baltimore area we would be glad to show you ours. You might find it worth considering. E-mail me at tturlingto@aol.com
Tom Turlingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
helotes , Texas
My wife and I have been Airstreaming for about nine years. When we purchased our first 19 AS we decide to committe to going out at lease one weekend every 6 to 8 weeks. We felt like that justified our investment. Currently we are both in our early 60's and twelve to eighteen month from retirement. We currently manage between 40 and 50 nights per year. One of the things that we realized over time was that we needed more room to feel comfortable on those longer trips. Because of this we moved up to a 25. When we retire our plan is to spend 150 nights per year on the road. At that point we will very likely move up to a 30 Classic. Storage space and comfort means a lot when you spend a lot of time on the road. Good luck....
aldamiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Excellent question! One we asked ourselves before getting in too deep too.

I’m 56 too, and plan to retire before 60. We wanted a “travel” trailer good for extended stays in various locations. So it needs a full kitchen, comfortable bath, and lots of closets. That means minimum 26’. Camping is just a bonus for us. Is it worth it for me to spend $85K? Nope. But I can afford $15k for an older model.

We were very fortunate to find our 34’ Avion. It’s perfect for us. In 10 weeks we’ve spent 20 nights in it (but only because it’s our new toy). This schedule is unsustainable while I’m still working. But yes, it’s worth it since I plan to get my money back out of it whenever I sell it in another 10, 20, or 40 years from now, or whenever that happens.

It baffles me how some people can trade in their new AS to get two more feet every two years. That’s WAY more expensive than anything else you can spend your money on.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Smile How many nights...

Re: post #20. <However, the Airstream is really like having a vacation home but it gets to be in a different location each time versus always going to the same locale.>

Our Airstream is our vacation home; different location every time and no property taxes to pay as we experience each & every beautiful spot around this gorgeous country and North & South America. We've owned 3 different Airstreams and absolutely worth every $ spent and every glorious memory provided. And you've still always got the luxury of any other type of travel should you want to give your Airstream a rest. Don't overthink it with the math. You only live once!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Look at it this way, AS are not going to get any cheaper and you only live once, so go for it.
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Goode , Virginia
I'm 62 retire from one career, mostly retired from a second and my wife is younger and still working from home. We bought a FC 23FB last June and used just over 7 weeks until December. This year we used it for 6 weeks until we moved up to a FC 27FB this month. Although we loved the 23FB we found it to small if our 21 year old daughter joined us. We are planning to take a 2 month trip out west next summer and knew the 23FB would be to small. One of the main reasons we bought a one is both of us spent years traveling around the world staying in hotels in our job and are sick of hotels. Now we want to travel the U.S. and sleep in a bed that is ours.
SMLJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Cibolo , Texas
Quote:
My wife and I are headed to the Hershey RV Show in September to look at Airstreams. We love the AS. I have done a lot of research (including reading Rick Luhr's excellent book "The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming") and it would appear that the 23' Int'l Signature would suit our needs and style. Normally it will just be the two of us. Assuming that money is not the issue, the question we are grappling with is how many days we would actually use it. I know this is a question that only we can answer. I am retiring in December (I am 56, wife is 53). We plan on traveling 3 weeks per year without the AS. So we figure between kids (one a sophomore and one completing a Masters both at Penn State) and other things we will use it about 3 weeks per year. Between storage and headaches etc... is it it worth it?

Hope I'm posting this in the right place. It's been some time since I posted anything.
I use my AS once a month but most of my travel is within TX. I am retired and have the time and really enjoy the time out there in State Parks or US Army Corps of Engineers Parks. You meet a lot of nice people, very relaxing and great to cut back on the every day chores. When I got my AS I said I was going to use it or sell it.............so I have been using it. GailMac.
GailMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #39
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I've already answered about my Airstream usage. But honestly, the number of days that you use it is immaterial.

The real question is, "Does using your Airstream reduce your stress level?" If the answer is yes, then even a small amount of usage is worth it. Because what is it worth to you to have a lower stress level, live longer, and enjoy life more? Your Airstream, even if stored 364 days a year, is a whole lot less expensive than one trip to the emergency room because your heart couldn't keep up with your blood pressure!
Old 08-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
Cool You will use it more than you think.

First, Welcome. We have a 23ft Safari. Bought when my wife retired several years after I did. Expected to spend a few months a year traveling. Except for this year (medical issues) have spent close to six months most years in the Airstream, it draws you to wonderful places and adventures (especially WBCCI Caravans). The 23ft. fits well for the two of us and our two cats, solar makes going anywhere possible for five or more days without hook up. It is so great to get out of Wisconsin winters and do adventures throughout the country. Expect to use it more than you originally plan, it is such a great way to enjoy all that is within driving distance, and be rested when you get there.