Old 08-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member
2012 16' Sport
stratford , Connecticut
My husband and I are still working, just turned 60. We travel in our 16' 2012 Bambi 4 weeks a year on planned vacations. Plus at least 4 weekends scattered about when we just need to get out there and camp. Worth every penny and still holds its value.

patnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Alas, no survey can inform you of your future lifestyle. Marinas, for example, are full of boats that hardly ever get used and make no economic sense, yet the owners had dreams. I make that observation based upon our 5 months per year living on and cruising our sailboat (Leopard 42 catamaran). When not sailing or spending time at our home in CO, we have enjoyed 347 nights and 43700 miles of travel camping since we bought our FC23FB new in 2011. All with my wife and many with 2 grandkids at a time aboard (six from 2 to 13 and all have travelled extensively with us). Our 'travel gene' is not normal, however, and I only provide one example of an active retirement. We practiced long before retirement at age 56 (has it really been 8 years?) and knew what we wanted to do. By comparison, own dear brother rarely ventures 50 miles from his house and his camper has been used once - in his driveway. He loves his bass fishing right near home. We are both happy.

Best Wishes & Safe Travels,

Safe Travels,
Joe & Joan Donnaway
Durango, CO
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
We have owned two Airstreams since retiring in 2013. Our first, a 2001 Safari 25, was purchased in January 2014 and its successor, a 2002 Classic 30 Slide-out in February 2016. The original owner had the 25 converted from a sofa to recliners when he took delivery. They were very comfortable for sitting or watching TV, but we tired of eating on TV trays and not having any guest seating so we upgraded to the 30 Classic with the slide-out and love it. I would caution that you should spend a significant amount of time in a trailer talking and thinking about how you will use it before committing to a purchase. Many people trade up, few trade down in size and some of those reverse that decision.

We have traveled nearly 13,500 miles and spent 93 nights in one or the other. We did our first caravan this year as the first non-delivery trip in the 30. We have spent about the same number of nights in each of them, but have more miles on the 25 due to the caravan in the 30 being over a relatively short distance.

Good luck with your decision.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I retired 3 years ago but I still work part time, contracting for the same company I used to work for. My job allows me to work from home, wherever that is. I use a hot spot to connect to their offices. I pretty much set my own hours and availability.

The wife always wanted an Airstream, I just wanted to travel. We both like being in Florida in the winter. I imagined that we would camp and travel more than what we do. Our AS is more of a basecamp and we do day trips from it. She doesn't like to sit by the fire while I do. I enjoy the outdoors and she will run or hike short distances with me. We got a kayak for this past stay in Florida, which was fun. I can say that 23' is not much room for 2 people for 3 months. We were very happy to get home this spring.

What started out as thoughts of camping have turned into being snow birds for 3 months then maybe some week long trips here and there. We would like to do more but the one remaining chick is having some emotional problems and has returned home. I'd travel but the wife doesn't feel comfortable leaving him alone. We had several trips planned this year but have taken only one since Florida, a week near D.C.

So life has changed for us since my retirement. (Life is what happens to you while you're making plans.) Another more recent consideration for us is if we just use it mostly for Florida in the winter, it might be better to rent something down there for the 3 months instead of keeping the AS in a storage lot for the rest of the time. That way we'd have more room and wouldn't have to keep changing sites. (If you want to stay in Florida's state parks you need to make reservations a year in advance, max stay is 2 weeks.) No decisions yet, waiting to see how things turn out with the last chick in the nest.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #19
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We are retired. We bought our first AS shortly before retiring.

Initially during the summer and shoulder seasons, we determined that we did not want an expensive lawn ornament that never went anywhere. We live in an area with all kinds of boats, RVs, and horses that are seldom used. We settled on two short trips per month or one long one. A short trip is defined as 3 nights out, which gives us only two full days at the camping site. Were we working, this probably would have to be a two-night weekend outing. A long trip has been anything from 5 nights to 6 weeks.

Initially we kept the winterized Bambi up here in BC for the winter, either at our place or at a RV storage site in town. But after falling in love with Death Valley, for the last two winters we've gone to southern Utah in October for a red rock camping trip, left the winterized Bambi at a RV park in St. George that has RV storage, driven down in February, stayed at the RV park for a couple of nights to dewinterize and shop, then gone off to Furnace Creek or Shoshone, CA for a longer stay. We're not total snowbirds, but we have spent up to 6-7 weeks in February-March in sunnier climes.

BTW, don't be made to feel you need a bigger (and more expensive) AS. We looked at the 23-footer before deciding that for our more rustic camping preferences, we could get into more sites with the shorter 19-foot unit. The 23-foot AS should be ample for two people. It can sleep a couple of guests when you need to. Then if your TV is a truck with a topper on the back, as ours is, you have a lot of auxiliary storage capacity.

Happy trails to you!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
We work full-time and also travel extensively around the world, using up most of our vacation time. The Airstream, so far, has tended to be used on the weekends.

That said, we use it at least 1-2 weekends per year. Since we are in southern California, we don't winterize it and actually use it more in the cooler months. It's more comfortable without the heat and less fighting for camping spots.

We're also fortunate to have what feels like wilderness within a 50-100 mile radius of where we live.

The goal is to eventually shift more of our vacation time to the Airstream versus flying off around the world.

However, the Airstream is really like having a vacation home but it gets to be in a different location each time versus always going to the same locale.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Retired. We have stayed in the Airstream at least 5 months out of the year for the last 10 years. 3 months in Florida in the winter and one long WBCCI caravan in the summer plus some of the local rallies.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #22
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Not campers - travelers ..... there is a difference. Retired, yes.

This year our use is about 5 weeks. Last year we were out about 8 weeks.

Our experience included trips to visit family, Yellowstone, New England, and Western Canada. We also attended two WBCCI Rallys and got out for five local weekend trips to shake down the coach and enjoy the California Coast and Redwoods.

Is it worth it? It depends. What do you want to do in retirement? What lifestyle works for you? What can you afford without negatively impacting your financial security? What makes you smile?

One final comment - do your research. That means you need to understand all the issues - good and bad - that are inherent with the AS product and all other RVs. They are not the same trouble free experience as buying a Honda/Toyota/Buick product.

Good luck with your investigation and research. Pat

PS - the new 23s are supposed to have duct AC = quiet and 15 in wheels = more tire choices.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
.... snip....
So the question I am asking (excluding full-timers) how many days per year are you actually on the road with your Airstream? If you would like please identify if you are retired or still working and other relevant circumstance. I am trying to determine what more experienced people feel is the "over-under" in number of days on the road.Thank you everyone.
If you like it you will use it more and more. If you don't then you will not.

When I first started camping in a small travel trailer, still working and young kids at home, it was just a few weekends per year.
When I got my first Airstream, a 30', 20+ years later, the kids were away in college but I was still working. I found excuses to use the Airstream about every weekend or two. It actually became my second home, my getaway from stress place! Though, the daughters would come from college to spend weekends, and bring along their friends (stressful !!!!).
When I retired in 2010, at first we went to FL for 3 months during winter, in our 25' Safari, and travel to cooler places during summer. We've extended our stay in FL the last few years to 5 months, but now in the 34'. We still love our 25' for traveling long distances.

Add edit:
I just checked my logs for each trailer. During the last 12 months we towed the Safari a little less than 10,000 miles and spent 53 nights in it. During the last 12 months we towed the Excella a little less than 2,000 miles and spent 137 nights in it.
2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
2,130 days/nights with not a single item needing repair.

Whoops, just noticed my nose growing.
Airstream of Consciousness
HCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Also, if you like to tinker, the Airstream provides hours of entertainment.
Good one!
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the Forum!

We bought our 20'FC approx. 6 months prior to retirement with expected use at 2 weeks plus several long weekends. We camped 24 days first six months....loved it and now have camped over 325 nights in first two years! We enjoy other non-camping travel as well but traveling in our little 20' tiny house on wheels has been so enjoyable. We live traveling without reservations and have logged over 20,000 miles in over 35 states visiting national parks, state parks, lakes, rivers and mountains!
We definitely feel the money spent was well worth the enjoyed adventures!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Irrigon , Oregon
Thumbs up Retired D.I.N.K # nights ? Worth it

Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
is it it worth it?

So the question I am asking (excluding full-timers) how many days per year are you actually on the road with your Airstream? If you would like please identify if you are retired or still working and other relevant circumstance. I am trying to determine what more experienced people feel is the "over-under" in number of days on the road.Thank you everyone.

We switched from SOB because it was to big,, we were using it a good six weeks a year Granted 2-3 of those were travel for work. until the cancer diagnoses. Then it went up from there living in it for treatment, etc,, that is while we were still working.. After we retired and traded up ( down in size) to our 2015, 27' FB flying cloud. We have had it since sept of 15 we have spent at minimum 21 days not counting the cross country ( Oregon to Massachusetts via Texas that added 45 days) in the last 11 months ?worth it. Lol I think so, as for storage, we live on a small gentleman's farm in eastern Oregon so storage is not an issue, but if you have kids it pays for itself in extra beds when needed. Unless of course you live in a co-op neighborhood where "trailers" are verboten😲 then it can be moved from your storage to a close by park..
Now one last point I want to make is Army corps of engineers parks. When you become of age or disabled they are half price. Some of the best parks in the country.
Alluminati: not all conspires are theory,Alluminati is a 2015 27fb Flying cloud😎
Tv: 2015 Gmc sierra 3500 duramax allison 😇
"We like it"
FunyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Welcome to the forum Phil. A couple things pop into mind after reading all the comments. We're both retirees living in Florida so our Airstream gives us the opportunity to escape the summer heat & humidity here in the sunshine state. This summer we just returned from a 10 week trip visiting all our kids & grandkids from coast to coast, so I guess that adds up to 70+ nights with another 10 day trip pending this fall (maybe), so our AS is our 2nd home. Like any 2nd home the expenses that go with it are expected and accepted.
We looked at a 23ft model but decided we needed the added comfort a 25ft model, that was the right decision for us. Next is buying it right as like any RV or boat its a depreciating asset and the more you pay up front adds up to the more you loose on the back end, so if it is used every day or just once in a while thats fine if you're comfortable with it. I guess what I'm saying is if it works for you buy if not don't.

Venice, FL
2016 FC 25RTB
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote