Old 09-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
We camped for years (just the two of us) in a 1962 Corvair van. We upgraded to a 13' 1961 Scotty...the small ones that you can't stand up in if you are over 5'7".

A few years ago we camped the perimeter of Florida in July in the Scotty. You have to really like your company to spend 16 days together in a 13' trailer. We had an absolute blast!

Picked up the Bambi II so we would have more room for the growing family...but it is not done yet. Might not be for all of next Summer either. We camped with the two of us and one little on in the Scotty (Front Kitchen model has a king sized bed). This worked well.

Now we have two little ones. A week before beach camping and realizing that the Bambi II would not only be un-camp-able, but would also not have an axle underneath it, I had to come up with a solution. I built a small bunkbed for the older girl to sleep in above our feet. The littlest lady slept with us on the bed.

Is it tight? You bet. Do we love it? You bet. And we don't take TVs either. We read or nap or play games. We spend most of our time outside.

BTW- our Bambi II will be a bunkhouse model. Since we had to redo the entire trailer to fix frame rot and floor rot, it is gutted...and bunk beds will replace part of the original kitchen and closet. The girls will know their "space" in the bunk bed the same way I did growing up in a '72 Airstream Sovereign.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotty-bunk-with-Ben's-feet.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	196145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotty-bunk-with-Cora.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	196146  

Name:	Scotty-bunk-with-Cora-napping.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	196147  

Old 09-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
You will have a blast in that 25

Have fun - and PICTuRES!!

Hope to see you on the road one day!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
That is a fabulous bunk!!! Thanks so much for sharing your photos and your precious, little one too.
I still dream of having a bunkhouse one day, but for now, we need to get our feet wet with RVing and how to do it.
I cannot wait to see the finished Bambi II
Old 09-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
PharmGeek -
We think it is a great way to start. I just could not part with all the money...lol!
Our little L4 has already been to 15 states by car; feet in the Atlantic in Charleston and feet in the Pacific in Monterey, all by car.
It will be great to know where we are sleeping every night and not having to do the BEDBUGS.COM check every time we are going up the interstate. Shivers just thinking about it.
We intend on going to all the National Parks and every state. I hope we can meet up.
We are Southerners, tried and true, so we will be heading your way too!
We will post pictures once we pick it up.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #75
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post

I guess there's different ways to skin that cat, but when we're camping there's a fire, there's smores, there's boating, there's swimming in the lake, there's fishing and reading stories.

What there isn't is TV and iPad and video games. We leave all that in the city. By the end of the day our three year old is so pooped, he wouldn't be able to watch a movie if we paid him.

Rain days see games and books. If there's too much rain for too long, we change location or just hitch up and drive home.

Personally, with no offence intended to those who like them (sorry Pharm), I find the bunkhouse models cramped and dark. One thing I love about Airstreams is the feeling of openness and the huge windows. In a bunkhouse, all that disappears.
When ours were 3 & 4 it was like that. They have different interests now, but still spend most of the day outside. Kids love camping in all its forms.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Love the little Scotty campers. Not ideal for me at 6'7" but awesome. Is yours polished or painted?
Old 09-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
You have to make a decision that YOU are happy with - this includes price tag etc

You have pulled the trigger - now I would just have confidence and look forward to good times

25's are extremely popular

Look us up when passing through

Old 09-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Love the little Scotty campers. Not ideal for me at 6'7" but awesome. Is yours polished or painted?
We love 'em, too! Ours is polished...I told myself if a small vintage Airstream is out of my grasp (price; availability), I am going to own a small polished trailer of some other kind...Scotty found my heart.

Now I have both.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ramp-and-scotty.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	196243   Click image for larger version

Name:	ramp-and-scotty-4.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	196244  

Old 09-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
So lovely - thanks for sharing the pictures. I am always amazed how large the bed is in these. Despite their diminutive size, they make awesome little campers.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Phargeek is right about being comfortable with the price tag.
We have to buy our TV too. This came into play in my calculations. The truck is really what sent my bh up into smoke. My husband will have to use it as a DD and he drives 50 miles a day. So, we are getting the max tow ecoboost, wjich is not inexpensive.
Excited and nervous at the same time.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Successful first night. So far, so good. The back bed was big enough that all 3 of us were able to snuggle in together. Tried posting a couple pics off the phobe, but couldn't figure it out. We 100% think we made the right decision.

Edit: ps: So far the F150 has performed beautifully as a TV. I'm going to post an update about the TV in another thread.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Petaluma , California
We've spent about 100 nights so far this year in our 19' Flying Cloud with our daughter who was about 17 months on our first 5 week trip and was 21 months at the end of our last eight week trip.

Our system was putting her to sleep in her familiar porta crib set up on the back corner bed. We'd turn on the Fantastic Fan (more like "fantastic white noise") and close the partition (which we actually replaced with a heavy velvet curtain from Ikea). Then we could hang out at the dinette, watch a show on the TV with the audio routed to the speakers right above our heads, do dishes, etc.

When it was time for us to go to bed, we'd "levitate" the porta crib off the bed and onto the floor in front of the stove. At first we were really slow and cautious, but by the end, we'd pretty much just whip her down there. Occasionally, a brief rollover, but then right back to sleep. We'd sneak into our bedroom, close the curtain and have the already-tight bed all to ourselves.

Full disclosure, we're about to buy a 25' CCD for a little more room and to plan for #2 somewhere down the road. Eventually, the front lounge will be a toddler bed with a bed rail from Babies R Us and a curtain to section it off, and we'll either do the same maneuver with the porta crib with #2 or build a little co-sleeper above our feet while he/she's still tiny.

We find traveling with a little one to be no harder than staying at home with one!

Dave and Ann
Advodna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Excellent!!

T-3 weeks for us (if no delivery delay)

Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
PharmGeek

Keep a weather eye out for early mid West blizzards that could slow delivery....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote