Old 09-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by megandrudy View Post
we like to take our golf cart with us)
I've read this now a couple of times and call me dense, but: WHY?

What do you do with a golf cart when travelling? Serious question, I have no idea.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #44
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I've read this now a couple of times and call me dense, but: WHY?

What do you do with a golf cart when travelling? Serious question, I have no idea.
Have you ever seen a camp host without one?

Even if you're not a camp host, there are all kinds of uses for a golf cart at a campground, if you go to campgrounds that allow them.
Hauling a blue Thetford tote to the dump station.
Hauling trash to the dumpster if the campground doesn't provide cans at each campsite.
Hauling firewood to your campsite if you're not allowed to bring your own from home and have to forage for it.
Bringing visitors back to your campsite from the overflow parking area halfway across the park from your site.
Taking small children to the fishing pier that's clear across the park from your campsite. And even bringing them back, if you haven't used them as bait in the meantime…
And, oddly enough, playing golf, if you camp at resort campgrounds that have golf courses.

A golf cart is a lot more economical to operate than your tow vehicle for most of these tasks. And often a lot less noisy, too.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #45
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShullsinUtah View Post
Hard to justify paying so much extra money for something used and not getting his own bed or a warranty.
It is inherent in the nature of RVs that large things must either collapse or be dual purpose.

That a bed is re-folded to make a sofa or a dining table does not make it any less a bed.

Quote:
It is my fixation with the "dream of" owning an AS that has gotten us to this point, but is it really worth the 10-15 k more?
I know we would be happy with whatever we get because we will be together. Right now, our little guy just wants to pile all over us. I know that will change once he becomes a teen, but for now, it would just be us. His little friends will come too when he is 8, I think.
Choices choices. Only you can decide. All we can do is help you understand the trade-offs.

Airstreams are not perfect but be sure when you compare them to SOBs that you pay attention to these points:
- Visual design. I am happier when the objects surrounding me are well designed; the fact that this view is not widely held explains 5ers
- Consider the durability of the exterior over your expected years of ownership. Looking at some 10- or 20- year old SOBs can help with this
- Compare the number and size of windows and their means of opening
- Look at the construction and finish of the interior and think about beauty, design, durability, and the amount of useful usable space. A late model classic will have hickory (or sometimes oak) raised-panel cabinets throughout except for some composite cabinets under the bed(s). Most SOBs make heavy use of MDF with veneer which does not hold up as well.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #46
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
It is inherent in the nature of RVs that large things must either collapse or be dual purpose.

That a bed is re-folded to make a sofa or a dining table does not make it any less a bed.
Or, as I've been known to say about my Airstream Interstate, "All the comforts of home. But only one comfort at a time, because you've got to put one away to use another."
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Maybe I am stressing over things that I shouldn't.

I have not told you guys but when I was crawling through every trailer on the lot, I told the salesman, I want to buy a trailer that will last. I want to buy one and done. He turned to me and said , you need to buy an airstream!

I am looking for one to make it a long time.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
I appreciate all the comments and advice.
Turns out Hubbie's feet got cold and he hesitated.
We are back to square one again. The guy sold the trailer before I could call him back.
Just sick here after I put so much work and effort into it.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Better to not have one you want, than have one you don't want. Consider it research, you miss a few and kiss a few toads before you find your prince.

We had to drive 100 miles to find ours. We could have been out a day, but then it would have just been another wacky family adventure!
Old 09-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
So true! Well said. Life is adventure if you let it be.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Before the order, you can change your mind as often as the wind changes direction for free. Once you sign the order, it can cost or if too late in the cycle be unable to change your mind.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
They sold that 2005 bunkhouse you had your eye on?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
Pharmgeek,
No, not yet. There was a Classic Limited 27' in SC that was loaded.
Had an AS Inspector go out and Hubbie was just not sure about the weight with Hickory Cabinets. It was gorgeous on the inside.
However, the 9,000 lbs. had us questioning our ability or inexperience with towing something that heavy. The Bunk weighs in at 8,400 or so?
I like the older bunk but I really love the new bunk
Trying to go through what I really feel comfortable with on the financial side.
I keep looking at smaller trailers, 25s, but really feel that we would outgrow that soon.
A friend said, "Don't buy the trailer for today, but the trailer that you will need in 5 years."
Calling in the morning and going to see if I can get them to come off the price anymore. They only came down $3K. Also, it only has 1 A/C unit. A little worried about that being out here in Utah.
I will keep you posted as I process all the good, the bad and the gorgeous, shiny silver!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Whether you're towing a 6000lbs trailer or a 9000lbs trailer makes no difference if you're properly set up. You're worrying too much.

The bunk is overkill for just one kid, in my opinion.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
The original post seemed to make mention about bringing along friends and such, so arguably the space could prove to be an amenity...at a cost...

Also cannot recall if they told us if they will have more kids...so that may be part of the calculus as well...?

But arguably, even with one kid, that bit of overkill may be nice...again, at a cost...

Even at 2 kids we had to beat our heads against the wall to rule out shorter lengths...everything is a compromise of sorts...no one right answer

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
ONE child is all that we can have. We are in our mid forties, so he is our great blessing.
I realize that you may be right on overkill. I just have him on a schedule and he still sleeps in the day, etc. A bunkhouse is not necessary but I like them tremendously and think having his bed may be important. However, I can see that having a special sleeping bag say Lightning McQueen, that we only use when we go camping could be fun. I am not sure what happens when they become a teen. They will want their "own" space. I was trying to do the "one and done" deal on buying a bunkhouse.
I am not married to a BH. I could be happy with a 25' or 27' too, I think.