Old 07-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We base it on our next destination, if it's 200 miles or 500 miles thats what we do. Our towing combination is very comfortable on long drives. A long distance between destinations and Walmart is our friend for the night along the way, we don't usually care for highway campgrounds.

Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
I drive till i cant read the road signs which is usually at dusk and then I find a place to park for the night.

alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
we have done 12 hours when we had to and every time we did we swore "never again" but sometimes you get tied to the math of travel - miles / mph = driving hours. When I lay out an itinerary for a long trip (more than a few hundred miles over a couple weeks) I include the daily miles and estimated drive times (which can be blown up by weather, construction, traffic, etc.) and try to arrange our trips to be similar to your target - 4-6 hours. This year we have worked to identify camp grounds that are in a 3-4 hour drive radius so we can comfortably leave mid-morning, grab lunch somewhere, check in at 2:00 check in time, and be set up in time for happy hour. For us it's Cotopaxi, Buena Vista, Cripple Creek, Estes Park, Grand Lake, and a handful of others.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #18
2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
This discussion has come up periodically and I've tried to go by the "rule" someone posted over a year ago -- no faster than 60 mph, no farther than 300 miles per day, be in the campsite between 3pm and 5pm. I've broken the "rule" a few times, but I find this works well for me. I'm not as tired, I can be setup before dark. I can have a meal fixed and eaten at a resonable hour.
Terry P. Rizzuti, "Yertle"

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
When planning our recent long trip, I took the miles, and used these estimated average speeds to calculate expected drive times.
55 on interstates and US highways , 40 on highways with mountain driving, and 30 within the national parks.

Then I divided the distance by the average speed, and rounded up to get the hours of drive time.

How did this work?

We learned that we need to add on an additional 30 minutes of time for any larger city on the way, because of traffic slow downs, commuters, and such.

All and all was pretty accurate for driving at around 60, and fueling and food stops.

This let us plan well for lunch and overnights along the way.

Don't forget about changing time zones too.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
200 - 380 at the most

We are both retired, so can add on days to our trips as needed. I do all the driving, so I don't like going more than 200 - 250 miles a day. We stop for a couple of days and then move on. There is one trip we've taken the past two springs that is a one day, 385 mile trip, but it's almost all interstate and a pretty straight shot, so that is the exception and we do that on the first day going out and break it up a bit on the way back.

Since I do all the driving, I've found that I do better if I frequently change my hand positions on the wheel and rotate my shoulders around every so often. Driving too long with my arms and hands in one place makes them sore after awhile.

On the way home I like to be back by about 3 PM at the latest. The city traffic gets too bad after that.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
250 miles max, with a goal to see something along the. I believe the journey should be as good as the destination.
From my Pecan Tree
PecanMan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I've done it every way that's been mentioned above. On our past trip out west for the winter and back, we clocked about 15K miles. I can still do the long drives when necessary, but here's why I may not anymore.
While driving out our eventual destination was Palm Springs. CA. We did about 500 miles the day we made it to Palm Springs and lost our left rear AS wheel bearing, ruining the new Michelin XLT M/S2 tire. Now these bearings had just been serviced 4K miles and less than 6 months earlier. At the time I was sure it was the fault of the company that serviced them, but they held up fine for the previous 3500 miles (I check my wheels frequently for temp.), so even I had some difficulty understanding how if they'd done a poor grease job on that bearing or had over tightened the castle nut this didn't occur sooner. At the time I pulled the remaining wheels and checked the bearings and the other three were fine. High temp grease and double wall seals were used on all of them. From there I went to Tucson and then eventually down to the FL Keys. On the day we left the keys, I drove about 650 miles from the Keys just into NC when I lost the bearing on the front right AS wheel. This time, it cost me an axle because the spindle was severely damaged, not to mention an almost new aluminum rim and Michelin XLT M/S2 tire. It came off about 11:00 pm and I never found them.

Long story short I got some help from a local Tractor-Trailer Wrecker who had built trailers for a living. His take was too many miles in a day on axles that were not made for it. Instead of replacing just the damaged axle I replaced them both with new Dexter axles with upgraded weight tolerances and the new never lube bearings. I helped out on the labor side and the new axles and installation cost me about 2K.

Bottom line, I'm hoping my new axles fix the problem, but I'm also going to manage my travel better. Driving shorter distances even when I'm impatient to get somewhere. Like someone already pointed out. It's the journey, not the destination.
Virginia Beach, VA
1992 29' Excella Classic
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #23

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up I have a co-pilot....

....we don't set a distance goal.
On our last cross-country, I usually drove about 6hr, DW 3.
Return home...Total driving time, 57hr 30min, 51.4mph average. 2954.3 mi. Elapsed time 5.5 days.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
We try for about 300 miles on the average, but don't get bent out of shape if it's 25 miles on either side of that. We save a bit of time by timing our trips to take us through most big cities ( St. Louis, Kansas City, Atlanta ) on the weekend.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Yes 4 to 6 hours is my limit most days also although I have driven 450 one or 2 days on my way to Whitehorse YK. I'm a retired long haul truck driver and up until I retired at 70 used to run about 500 miles per day.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
We have made several 500-ish mile days, typically because we got a late start and were on a schedule. Every time we said we'd never do it again, but it seems it still happens. We travel with dogs so there are more stops than if it were just us. I find it hard to average over 50 mph on interstates, including stops, particularly now with the heavier trailer with which I run 55-60.

With the latest trip plan I have finally accepted the fact that the destinations need to be no more than 350 miles apart. That makes for a much more relaxed travel day, arriving at a reasonable hour and not having to getup at 0-dark-thirty. It's easier when you are not trying to cram a long trip in during a week's vacation from work.

I do like the idea of Protag's rules, particularly the breaks while driving.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We try to limit to 300-500 per day, but we travel with dogs as well, so rest breaks can take a bit of a walkabout period. The rig can do maybe 300 miles on a tank, but I like to stop around 1/2 tank to refill.

I usually plan out and reserve KOA sites if we are traveling with a purpose, but won't hesitate to redo the plan if I get too tired.

If we are just touristing there is a lot less planning after we get clear of the big cities.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
First, a qualifier: We are retired and can spend as much or little time wherever we choose.

With each new trip we plan, we spend less time driving and more days per trip not driving at all. Before retirement, I made at least 30 round trips between the DC area and Florida. Each was 930-960 miles one way. Most with a trailer (albeit a shorter cargo trailer but still 5,000 pounds or more). Always without an overnight. I would not do that at this age, nor with the longer, wider, Airstream.

Our typical day now is 3-4 hours "as the Goole drives". That means a little more driving time and about 50% more clock hours given stops for gas and meals. We generally leave a campground by 10:00 AM and look to be camped again by 4:00 PM.

The longest single day we have done with the AS in tow was actually a week ago today. We did 606 miles according to Google (9:10 driving time, they say) from Morrow Mountan State Park, NC to home. We were supposed to stop twice in that distance. However, this was our first trip with our beloved 10 year old grandson with ADHD, our 18 year old Wheaten Terrier (who always travels with us) and the Puggle who my wife adopted in anticipation of the Wheaten failing to answer the call for some upcoming trip. After 8 days and nights on road with "Red Chief", I was instructed "GET... ME... HOME!!!...!!!...!!!". I did it. Heck... I'd do it again. I'm not proud of that. I'm just saying guidelines are guidelines and the risk of a highway mishap triggered by exhaustion seemed much lower that the risk of claustrophobia-induced homicde. Had we been in Colorado, the availability of suitable medical treatment might have been an alternative to The Cannonball Run. But we were not in Colorado, were we?

GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote