Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Newbury Park , California
How do you stock your AS kitchen besides a wine/beer opener??

Now that I finally bought my Airstream I am wondering how to stock the kitchen. Should I worry about weight... for example melamine dishes vs glass etc. Any must have items other than a wine and beer opener? What do you all think? Ideas?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
We only have two people to worry about. So we have a simple set of dishes, glasses, bowls and cutlery, and a basic set of cookware. Small fry pan, 12" fry pan, one large sauce pan, bread pan. We always cook breakfast and almost always dinner in the trailer. So, we stock lots of food. The fridge and freezer are large enough for a weeks worth of food. We then stock the slide out pantry with soups and such, and then store some bulk items in the under-bed bins.

We can usually last a week. Inevitably we are sent to the store because we decide we want something we don't have. I never worry about the weight of this whole bit, because I don't think it is crucial. Our dinnerware is plastic. Our cookware is lightweight - not stuff like ironware or Le Crueset!

For us, cooking in the trailer is one of the main advantages of trailering. No sitting around in restaurants waiting for expensive food.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I'd recommend against glass for a couple of reasons. Even with new, properly loaded axles, the trailer is going to shake, rattle and roll. It's a lot easier to stow things that aren't going to break. I'd rather spend my last morning at a campsite taking a final stroll than stashing things in towels and bubble wrap.

As far as weight goes, overall it doesn't make much of a difference in comparison your overall trailer weight. Any kitchen stuff represents only a fraction of a percentage. I wouldn't stock my entire kitchen with cast iron, but I wouldn't shy away from a piece or two.

Where the weight might make a difference is in how much damage it can do by shifting and bouncing. When we recently remodeled the galley area of our '71 Trade Wind, it was pretty obvious that a pantry shelf had been repaired, probably due to being overloaded and then driven with old axles over a bumpy road. Heavy things that can shift can damage cabinet walls, shelves and doors and can even escape and damage your floor.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The lighter weight the better. No glass items, for safety and weight reasons.
Just imaging reaching into the cupboard and cutting your hand on a broken glass on the first day out.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Heavy things go low, light things higher up!

And we carry virtually no glassware. We have two smallish wine glasses that we have in a padded bag that we carry to happy hours.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
An oft-asked question and many people will be along to post their lists. I will refrain and instead give you some things to think about. After all, you cook differently than I do.

I do not consider weight to be a major factor in gallery provisioning.

Like many Airstreamers we carry Corelle dishes in our trailer. They are microwave safe, more durable than melamine, and have a good feel. They can shatter particularly if dropped on a hard surface but that's a risk we live with. In our truck camper we presently have melamine; no microwave in that rig, but still we may switch to Corelle at some point.

I carry glassware using cardboard dividers much like those used for cases of wine, liquor, or other goods packed in glass. We also have some cheap plastic tumblers that we use mainly for water -- they're convenient because they stack.

In my trailer I have some Calphalon cookware that was given to me secondhand. I've chosen pieces that nest well and discarded the rest and it really works out OK for us. I don't think it's necessary to get the fancy nesting yacht cookware with the detachable handles for larger trailers although we might experiment with it in our C-11 at some point.

For us the Corelle is really the only RV-specific cookware we carry. The rest is just a subset of what we have in the kitchen in our stick house.

Anyway, I really only have a few pieces of advice:

1) Use either Corelle or melamine for dishware and serving pieces.
2) Provision your kitchen so you have all the things from your stick-house kitchen that you use more than once a week. Avoid gimmicky RV stuff and get things that you really like.
3) Choose things that nest well.
4) If you have an oven and plan on using it be sure you have some bakeware that is suitably sized. Regular cookie sheets don't fit.

The nesting thing takes some trial and error. As an example, we have a colander that is large enough to contain a stainless steel mixing bowl, which holds three large Corelle serving bowls, inside which we have two smaller Corelle bowls. We have three saucepans that nest inside each other although the handles stick out, and the whole stack sits inside the iron skillet.

Quote:
Any must have items other than a wine and beer opener?
I have a bottle opener mounted permanently on one of the cabinets.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'll second webspinner's advice to avoid glass in general. The only place I won't compromise on that is my coffee mug. I have some of the non-slip shelf liner in the cabinet above the sink, and I cut it long intentionally so that I roll a coffee mug in each end of it, with the melamine stuff in the middle. I have plastic double-old-fashioned sized glasses that serve for bourbon and gin-and-tonic and wine (not at the same time, of course) and melamine plates and bowls. We generally carry a short stack of paper plates for lazy wasteful meals.

For space-saving, we have several thin flexible cutting boards rather than thick stiff ones that take up more space. We carry a small cast-iron comal/griddle combo, small skillet, a sheet pan that just fits in the oven (usually that and the skillet ride in the oven), small and medium pots, and a couple of silicone pie pans that we use for warming and cooking all sorts of things in the oven.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Ditto David on the coffee mugs! We carry one pyrex type bowl for heating stuff in microwave but not much else in way of glassware. Even bought the Cuisinart coffee maker wirh stainless steel thermal carafe, couldn't do the little 5 cup GE coffeemaker any longer
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We carry mostly plastic dishes and glasses, but we do have some ceramic mugs and bowls in Lucy. With the amount of dishware that we carry, weight is not a major consideration.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
How do you stock your AS kitchen besides a wine/beer opener??

When stocking my Overlander, I don't concern myself with the weight of my kitchen supplies as I do with the Minuet due to its limited carrying capacity and the fact that I often tow with my Cadiallac rather than the Suburban.
  • Overlander Kitchen Supplies
    • Service for 8 -- Summerware (1970s plastic dinnerware)
    • Revere Ware -- 1-qt, 2-qt, 3-qt, and 4-qt saucepans
    • Revere Ware -- 12" skillet
    • Revere Ware -- Stovetop Drip Coffee Maker
    • Revere Ware -- Double Boiler
    • 8qt Cast Iron Dutch Oven
    • Hobart Countertop Coffee Mill
    • Five Piece Stainless Steel Cannister Set
    • 1950s Aluminum Drinking Glasses
    • 8 Ironstone Coffee Mugs
    • Stainless Steel Portable Propane Grill
    • Stainless Steel Tableware Service for 8
    • Cooking utensils including small-medium-large spatulas, medium-large wire whisks, slotted spoons (3), serving spoons (4), serving forks (2), heavy duty manual can opener, bottle opener, heavy duty cork screw, and garlic press
    • Set of Barb-Que-Grill Cooking utensils (boxed set purchased from my Airstream dealer)
    • Assorted variety of canned goods and staples depending upon destination and planned activities
  • Minuet Kitchen Supplies
    • Service for 4 -- Summerware (1970s plastic dinnerware)
    • Revere Ware -- 1-qt, 2-qt, and 3-qt
    • Revere Ware -- 8" skillet
    • Revere Ware -- Stovetop Percolator
    • Revere Ware -- Double Boiler
    • 8qt Cast Iron Dutch Oven
    • One Dozen Plastic drinking glasses of various sizes
    • 4 Ironstone Coffee Mugs
    • Stainless Steel Tableware Service for 6
    • Cooking utensils including small-medium-large spatulas, medium-large wire whisks, slotted spoons (3), serving spoons (4), serving forks (2), heavy duty manual can opener, bottle opener, heavy duty cork screw, and garlic press
    • Assorted variety of canned goods and staples depending upon destination and planned activities (very limited as there is little available storage space available and the refrigerator is on the small side)
My typical trip tends to be at least two weeks so I do carry a somewhat large assortment of cooking supplies. It isn't terribly unusual for me to add two, three, or four ice cream freezers when I am traveling to a rally as I find that the young people in attendance often haven't had the pleasure of experience home-made hand-cranked ice cream . . . .
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
I've been reducing reducing reducing. I unload everything every time we camp because it grosses me out to find out a mouse gotten in and I have to wash everything in the kitchen. I had started loading up the trailer with the cool mid century stuff we had, but found I used a fraction of it. Good skillet, sauce pan, mixing bowl, all stainless and unbreakable. I got a cool stainless stacking mug set from a thrift store, melamine plates from Crate and Barrel and stainless martini glasses from Sur La Table. We each sleep with three big pillows, so those get jammed in the overhead cabinets to keep stuff from bouncing around.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
these are the mugs and the martini glasses.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Newbury Park , California
Those glasses are quite lovely!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
Rivet Dude

1972 21' Globetrotter
1987 34' Excella
yep, still on the road , On The Road
lots of great ideas

I refuse to drink my evening martini out of anything but the proper stem glass.

I lurk at thrift stores, and when I see one, I buy it, sometimes spend up to 99 cents for one. They break, big deal. I use bar towels to wrap stuff up before a trip, use them as I need them, works so much better than paper towels. As long as they are dry when put in the hamper, they do not smell.

I may be camping, but certain things ya just got to do.

Have fun.

Airjeff