Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle

Old 01-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #57
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Like some have already written, I have found a ton of decorative/functional stuff at thrift stores.

I try to find things that can be utilized in different ways. One of my favourite thrift-store finds was this $5 aquarium......

I can turn it into a salad bowl.......

Or a punch bowl.......

Or a lamp!......

One of my favourite non-thrift store finds (bought these at Canadian Tire) are these stainless bowls because they come with air-tight lids (not shown). They can be nested inside one another, so they do not take up a lot of cupboard space. They are functional enough to be used for mixing and storage of left-over food, and attractive enough to be used as a serving bowl too. I also use them as food chillers - put something like a potato salad in a smaller bowl nested into a bigger bowl filled with ice. They have even been used as ice buckets, Jello-salad molds, and flower bowls!

I'm afraid the dog has taken over the smaller one. The snug lid makes it an idea on-the-road water bowl.

easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We have nesting pots and pans, A few melamine plates, bowls, glasses and a French press. Those r the things that stay there year round. Use mostly paper plates as we like to dry camp. Uses less water, too.

deecarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #59

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I picked up a nice set of nesting pots and pans at West Marine. They are working out quite well. Saves a lot of space.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member
2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
[QUOTE=AirsDream;1296843]I tend to do a lot of my "travel" cooking at home ... making Alfredo sauce, Marinara sauce, Beef stew, etc. and then freezing it in vacuum bags which keep for a long time once frozen. Then just pop 'em into the AS freezer when loading to leave. 'Heat em' and eat em' - that's my motto. Boil a little water with some pasta in it and put together a salad and dinner's done.

I love cooking and feasting outside when the weather is nice. Ambiance is important, as food always seems to taste better. We enjoy a table cloth covered table protected with a table cloth protector (heavy clear vinyl from Jo Ann Fabrics), secured from the wind with bungee cords, and place settings with an arrangement of fresh/silk flowers.

Wine is served in Rock glasses as stemware is too light, fragile, and tipsy on uneven picnic tables. Rock glasses are also used for serving/molding side dishes. For easy clean up, we use paper food trays and paper bowls. Disposable chopsticks and unused plastic flatware accumulated from fast food orders are used and tossed with metal flatware utilized for denser entrees.

In the truck bed, there are containers of additional cookware. E.g., a #10 cast iron skillet to braise pot stickers, skillet-bake pizza, and a wok for stir-frying. Vegetables, i.e., Napa, bok choy, and cabbage are stored in a cooler containing blocks of ice as ice chips melt too quickly.

Food is reheated in the Microwave oven or in a small, multi-tiered Asian steamer. All frying is done outside on our Volcano (30K BTU gas burner/charcoal grill).

My favorite, i.e., Mexican, Italian, Asian, Mediterranean, and Cajun entrees are cooked at home. Shandong noodles, mung bean noodles, ramen packets, and jap chae noodles (sweet yam) are staples as they cook quickly, store easily, and make for quick entree modifications to accommodate unexpected circumstances.

A whistling teapot is for boiling water. French roast coffee is ground at home and placed into 1 pot serving, re-useable zip lock bags. It is brewed in a #6 Melita plastic filter cone into a thermal coffee carafe. Long Chop sticks are ideal for quickly stirring foods reheating in the microwave oven.

A long slot toaster is used for browning artisan breads, folded flour tortillas, pita bread halves. There is nothing like freshly toasted ciabatta bread with coffee with breakfast.

There is always a pitcher of Crystal Lite Lemonade made and refilled on arrival.

Happy feasting to all,
1767 Spanish scribe:"Rash judgments are always accompanied by ignorance and absence of light." (Learn all the facts before making a judgment)

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Alclad tall saucepan
Lodge Combo Cooker 10.2"
Ceramic 8 & 10" Skillets
Cookie Sheet (steel)
Cake tins (steel)
Micro bacon cooker
stainless stacker mixing set
collapsible silicone colander and dishpan
2 Corelle serving bowls
4 Corelle dinner plates
4 Corelle cereal bowls
4- tervis tumblers
3- ceramic coffee mugs
Flatware for 4
4 steak knives and various other knives, serving and cooking utensils
4 melamine dinner plates
picnic set - table cloth and clips, paper plates, napkins
mixing utensils
1- 10C drip coffeemaker
1- wide slot toaster
1- French Press
1- Megahome distiller
1 -Baratza grinder
1- Via Venezia and Aeropress
1- cutting board
1- set outdoor cooking utensils (for coleman grill)
1-5 pc Oxo container set
1- set Kinetic Go Nano Silver containers (leftovers, etc.)
1-very heavy Dometic ice maker (not used yet - was free with fridge)

and food. I actually have room to spare. There are towels and kitchen cloths too. The Lodge combo cooker is neat. It is a dutch oven, frying pan and baking dish all in one. The fryer acts as a lid. I have tried to "multi-task" the cookware as much as possible. The weirdness to me is the number of coffeemakers and that dang giant ice maker.

If I full time, I will add a portable electric skillet with lid for outdoor use.

@fly at night - Geez, I have to camp by you someday! Neat!
2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #62
1 Rivet Member
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Tavernier , Florida
I love to cook, hubbie is great on the barbeque. We both love good food, fine wine. We use glass for our wineglasses, correlle for dishware, same cookware on the airstream as used at home, ex: caphalon for pots/pans. And most important, rancilio espresso maker and coffee grinder for the all important first cup of cappuccino in the morning. Bottomline, we cook/eat whatever we want, not limited by a smaller kitchen.
silverzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member
2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
How do you stock your AS kitchen besides a wine/beer opener??

After trying out a variety of dishes, we settled on NordicWare. Sturdy, not easily breakable, microwaveable, dishwasher safe, and freezer proof.

Nordic Ware Microwave Soup and Cereal Bowl Set

Nordic Ware White Microwave Salad Plate, Set of 2

We also got the tervis tumblers which can handle hot or cold beverages.
tallen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #64
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington

Re-awakening this thread long enough to note the addition of custom hand-painted glass to our AS kitchen for wine and coffee.

Campy, cute, and fun to look at and use. We got them from Leslie's Hand Painted Glass, based in Portland, OR.

Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #65
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Good god! What do you think all that weighs?
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #66
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Very cute!

If they make you smile, a couple of pounds doesn't really matter.....that's what I think.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #67
Rivet Master
1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Every year we change plates and many other accessories. How much money does it take to redecorate 200 sq ft? Have fun!
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #68
1 Rivet Member
2012 27' Flying Cloud
Miami , Florida
Any opinions on a toaster oven? It would seem to me that a small one would be helpful not only to make toast, but to bake using shore power rather than propane for the oven. Thoughts?
fotoman1527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #69
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I carry a small toaster oven. Usually set it up outside under the awning.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:27 PM   #70
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Etched Corvette wine glasses ...

~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote