Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Love REI for the camping stuff, and the espresso maker is great! We use an old press pot or a Chemex, flying in the face of the unbreakable rule in favor of the cool design. We find the Airstream is a good excuse for hitting consignment/thrift/antique malls, at least to just look. sure.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #22

2004 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I don't own these pots yet but something I'm considering. I like that they are nestable and good quality.

Magma A10-362 Nestable 7 Piece Stainless Steel Starter Cookware Set*-*Magma*A10-362*-*Grill Accessories*-*Stoves/Grills*-*Campersland
UtahBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #23

2004 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Progressive international makes some great collapsible kitchen items.

Colanders & Hand Strainers - Dripless & Collapsible Colanders, Mini Strainers - Progressive International
UtahBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Providence , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
The lighter weight the better. No glass items, for safety and weight reasons.
Just imaging reaching into the cupboard and cutting your hand on a broken glass on the first day out.
I agree but there is nothing like glass. When I'm hiking, it's my Snow Peak Titanium cup, but when camping, I like glass. I'd just wrap it in a clean dish cloth & put it safely in a covered pan.
BorninRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #25
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
For coffee (life in a mug), we use a number 6 Melita cone filter that has a long neck that fits perfectly in the mouth of a Stanley thermos. Put the paper filter in the cone, cone in the thermos, a huge amount of French roast, pour in a quart of hot water, and the deed is done. There's a handle on the thermos that keeps it from rolling around (most useful on the CDory). Keeps coffee drinkable all day.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Hey Drathaar, CDory isn't a Cape Dory, is it? Funny how so much revolves around how we make our coffee in our trailers! It reminds me of my friend and I driving across the US when were were 21 in my Tercel station wagon, and the most effort went into making excellent coffee at rest stops along the way.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'm much in favor of insulated acrylic drinkware. Have converted over almost exclusively to the TERVIS brand. No rings, no worries. Perfect for coffee or iced tea or the more industrial-strength concoctions.

And I agree about not worrying over weight in the kitchen, per se. But, while I have cast iron cookware, it goes in a floor cabinet and is wedged against movement.

I would say that appliances are about the only change from what one might have at home. They quickly eat up storage space.

And it's always a little sad that folks will furnish their TT from garage sales and Goodwill (I don't mean "period authenticity") as it indicates their long-range or genuine thoughts & feelings about travelling in this manner. The type TT we all have is worthy of very nice things . . after all, it may be on the road in yet another 30-years. So why not quality in its' various aspects?

Good luck and have fun.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

DW likes the offerings from OXO and Kitchen Aid.

And a dedicated Chemex coffee maker for the Airstream. Timeless design and great coffee.

And a Rabbit of course....

Bob
Old 04-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Great thread. I also want to learn from others how best to "organize" the kitchen or perhaps tips on where to put what, etc.

I read camper books which highly recommend cast iron for camping. That stuff is ridiculously heavy- no leaning camper wanted here. So, I bought one item, a cast iron convertible dutch oven. It is a dutch oven with a lid that acts as a skillet and a bottom that can be a saucepan by Lodge. I also wanted a normal saucepan (all clad), cookie sheet, cake rounds (2) for various baked items that may require a sidewall, a set of SS mixing bowls with plastic lids, folding collapsing colander and dishpan, various silver fresh containers, cutlery, flatware and cooking utensils all in a drawer bin holder, a coleman fire start device, plates - previous owner had some ugly melamine plates with flowers. BTW, Bed Bath and Beyond has a bunch of the Chinese melamine in all kinds of themes. I kept them but added four white corelle plates with four salad and two serving bowls; four large tervis tumblers, two coffee mugs, a water dispenser (fits in fridge), a Baratza preciso coffee grinder, expresso machine, toaster, drip coffeemaker and that is it I believe.

The most difficult, to me, issue for camping is coffee. I used to never drink the stuff until about 15 or so years ago. Now I drink homemade espresso/latte every day 2X minimum. After one camping venture with Mr. Drip. I had to do something else. My home machine was way too big so I looked for a small one Via Venezia. It is ridiculous the prep work but I have great coffee now. I have heard a great deal in the coffee world about aero press. It is supposedly a new invention that some guy came out with that is a coffee buff. It is supposed to be lightweight, small and be better than most machines and also better than french press. At this point, I spent my money but sounds great. Now, back to stocking kitchens!

http://www.clivecoffee.com/product/a...FUWo4AodKToA4w

Here is another post on that small inexpensive coffeemaker compared to two other famed brewers

http://backtothegrind.wordpress.com/...-vs-aeropress/
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Need My Coffee

When we bought our "78" Ambassador it was stocked with melamine from the 70's...so we decided to utilize most of the original dishes. Plastic wine glasses and martini glasses round out the drink glasses with numberous tervis tumblers. One thing I can't do without...a good cup of coffee. I really didn't want to be lugging the Mr. Coffee with us so purchased an inexpensive aluminum perolator off of Amazon. All we need is propane. What a great cup of coffee!!!

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Coffee.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	184419  
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #31
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
Hey Drathaar, CDory isn't a Cape Dory, is it? Funny how so much revolves around how we make our coffee in our trailers!
No, the CDory is a powerboat. They run from 22' to 26', with a few odd sizes along the way. The 22 cruiser is by far the most popular and prevalent. They're typically a cabin boat, with relatively low power. We have a carburated Honda 90 hp for the main, and can get about 30 mph at sea level. They're easy on gas. We have friends that lived on theirs for ten years. Here's a link to their blog. It's interesting reading.

Cruising America-Halcyon Days

We camp on ours when on the road to places like Lake Powell, at which time it becomes a 'boaterhome'. So far, our longest stay has been just over four weeks on the boat. We also chase salmon and tuna off the Oregon coast.

CDorys are like Airstreams in that there is a very strong and loyal user community and forum. Check out The C-Brats :: Home

Here's a shot of our boat on the lower Columbia.

Here's a shot of the CDory equivalent of a Caravan Club. This is a CBrat Get Together (CBGT) at Lake Powell...

Apologies for hijacking the thread with the boat diversion...
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I'm amazed that all of you need more than the wine/beer opener.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Coffee goes from the freeze dry bags into the ziplock bag straight to the ice chest or freezer if we are up and going. German Jacobs coffee to give you that kick. Bottle Wine 6-8 bottles (for visiting guests of course) goes in the Coleman double Steelbelt coolers, sold currently at LL Bean. These coolers are worth the $119. We place a layer of ice between the bottles of an 18# bag of ice that will last four days in the Carolina 90 degree heat!. amazing. Of course we also keep the top covered in bottles of "ice cold" water to maintain the hydration. Your hands go numb digging through the ice on very hot days. Wine cork screws inside the Airstream and outside the Airstream. Plastic of course, Jimmy Buffet or beach theme, depending on what was on sale over Christmas for an amazing dollar apiece down from $18 a piece either from Dillard or Belks.

And of course we hang the 8" brass ship bell that is rung when happy hour begins. I'll send pictures of that next week as we have preposition the Airstream for Memorial day weekend.

We have a full Spring and Summer coming up with College graduations and weddings.

We'll start Airstreaming the 4th of July, so until then it will be only be a few weekends after this long winter. Other than that life is good.

Stock up and hit the roads and life is good.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #34
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Good advice about the dishes and cookware. Does anybody have any thoughts on basic foods that store well and are used. Also, I am getting mixed reports about having the fridge and freezer on while driving.

New to RVing and just bought my Airstream so I am on the forum everyday. Getting a little anxious about my first trip to be taken sometime mid June.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Fridge-on 24/7 when in "Cloudsplitter"

Bob
Old 04-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Ditto on leaving the fridge on.

As for food, we don't change what we eat whether in the Airstream or at home (of course we are in the Airstream as much as at home). Your Airstream is equipped like with a tiny kitchen, not as powerful as home appliances, but they can get it done.

After the trip, remove all food (and soap, candles) and clean the little kitchen to discourage rodents and insects from taking up residence.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Paul is a tea snob. We just *have* to be able to boil water and pack his tea supplies - milk, sugar, and his beloved stainless cup as well as Twinings teas of various sorts. Food is optional for him if he has his tea....
1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Just like the kitchen in the house. Everything except perishables stays in there forever.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Just like the kitchen in the house. Everything except perishables stays in there forever.
Ditto.

Maggie
Old 05-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Easier is good IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Does anybody have any thoughts on basic foods that store well and are used. Also, I am getting mixed reports about having the fridge and freezer on while driving.
I tend to do a lot of my "travel" cooking at home ... making Alfredo sauce, Marinara sauce, Beef stew, etc. and then freezing it in vacuum bags which keep for a long time once frozen. Then just pop 'em into the AS freezer when loading to leave. 'Heat em' and eat em' - that's my motto. Boil a little water with some pasta in it and put together a salad and dinner's done.

Also, since I like pizza, these new no-refrigerate pre-made pizza crusts are pretty good. Thaw a little marinara sauce and throw on some mozzarella and a few onion bits and then whatever there is around (sun-dried tomatoes, olive bits, pepperoni, grilled chicken leftovers, artichoke hearts, Feta cheese ... etc.) and pop it in the oven. Maybe five minutes prep time - then sit outside with an adult beverage and watch the sun go down while supper makes itself!

One other thing is that I like most of the offerings from Zatarain's (sp) ... red beans and rice, etc. One saucepan cooking. Throw something good on the grill to go with it and again, dinner's done.

So pre-cooked frozen things are great, as are "dehydrated" things that just need water and heat ... pasta, rice, beans, etc. Except for overwinter storage, I've always got those things aboard.

The whole point for me is that I want to cook 'simple' while I'm on the road, because I want to be out hiking, birding, fishing, photographing, by-the-fire sitting, etc. and not being in my trailer cooking. I can stay at home and cook up a storm - but once I'm hitched up, though I like good food, I'm gonna' always look for ways to make it easier and faster.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote