Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle

Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #15

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I was so fixated on drinking the coffee that I forgot about making the coffee. Dana reminded me talking about the electric coffee maker. I just couldn't depend upon electricity for that, the generator isn't remote-control and I wouldn't want to hear anyone else's generator before I had coffee. Normal morning method is Bodum Presso thermos-type french press. Normal afternoon method (and occasional morning) is a Bialetti Musa. All I need is water and propane and decent coffee.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
these are the mugs and the martini glasses.
Love the style of the martini glasses! I am still working on stocking the kitchen in our "new to us" 2004 classic 28. I have taken things out there (we keep it at a storage facility) and then brought them back at the end of the weekend because I changed my mind. it is trial and error. I finally realized that 99% of the time it will be just the two of us, so I really don't need lots of dishes. I have two large corelle plates, and four each of salad size plates, bowls and plastic glasses. I imagine even that may be excessive. I also have some paper plates and plastic cups. Shopping has been fun. I got a salt and pepper shakers that pop open and closed and that fit in the spice cabinet perfectly. I found a collapsible plastic colander and collapsible mixing bowl at target that I like, and I splurged on a very nice set of stainless 18/10 cutlery for four. I also bought a large round plastic tray that is great for serving snacks and drinks. It lives in the oven for travel, along with an airbake cookie sheet. I also have a pizza stone in the bottom of the oven to help distribute the heat and keep things from burning. My husband doesn't want to cook messy, greasy things in the Airstream, so he does breakfast Bacon and eggs in the electric skillet outside. He drinks tea and I have coffee. I have a bodem coffee grinder and a pourover funnel with an insulated pot. we use an electric kettle to boil the water. We wind up not using the stove burners much, but we have always had electricity so far. I am impressed by the amount of storage in the galley, but it seems like I am using a lot of it for things like plastic bags, tin foil, and cleaning supplies. I think I will be able to reduce those things after I have more experience with what I really use.

Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
We went to ikea. Found lots of plastic reasonably priced.

We then went to Goodwill stores and found tons of "era" pieces which we are trying to get enough of to make a reasonable set.

Going to REI sports store we find lots of portable and durable items.

Keep things as low as possible, nested. We even put food into ice chest so things can be kept from moving a lot.
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Newbury Park , California
Great responses

I really appreciate all of your advice. I will avoid breakable items except when it comes to a wine glass or two. Just can't drink wine out of plastic or acrylic. Not sure about martinis. I've never actually had one when camping, but that could easily change since we will be camping much more now that we have an AS, and have already booked 3 weeks of camping this summer (which is a lot for us since we work full time and have 3 kids). So far my only purchase has been a small electric fast-heating tea kettle since I had to give up coffee a few years ago, and reluctantly switched to green tea (which I now love).
bunnyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #19
Rivet Dude
1972 21' Globetrotter
1987 34' Excella
yep, still on the road , On The Road
coffee, did someone say espresso?

I picked up an all aluminum espresso maker from rei, in the camp gear section.

Perfect.Click image for larger version

Name:	20130417_084751.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	183568

Maker mark on the top is GSI Outdoor
airjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
She likes cooking with the heavy cast iron stuff, so bought the LeCrueset medium size dutch oven, covered skillet, and medium sauce pan. They cook great, decent for serving, and clean up really easy. Also usable for stovetop, oven, or campfire so it's all we need; that saves space. And a tea kettle.

For plates and bowls the Corelle is ceramic but hard to break and fairly light weight. I like heavy glass for drinking, and ceramic cups. Can't beat the Chemex coffee maker for good coffee, light weight, and easy to use/clean.

We've got some old silver plate utensils stamped Navy that us former sailors like, and various but limited stainless and wood utensils.

When traveling we have a collapsable heavy nylon trunk organizer that we take the heavy stuff out of the upper cabinets and set it on the floor to ease the stress on cabinet mountings. Just takes a minute or two.

So I think this is about individual needs/likes. Try to find dual-purpose items for everything in the trailer when you can.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Love REI for the camping stuff, and the espresso maker is great! We use an old press pot or a Chemex, flying in the face of the unbreakable rule in favor of the cool design. We find the Airstream is a good excuse for hitting consignment/thrift/antique malls, at least to just look. sure.
Wherever you go, there you are
Globie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #22
2004 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I don't own these pots yet but something I'm considering. I like that they are nestable and good quality.

Magma A10-362 Nestable 7 Piece Stainless Steel Starter Cookware Set*-*Magma*A10-362*-*Grill Accessories*-*Stoves/Grills*-*Campersland
UtahBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #23
2004 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Progressive international makes some great collapsible kitchen items.

Colanders & Hand Strainers - Dripless & Collapsible Colanders, Mini Strainers - Progressive International
UtahBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Providence , Rhode Island
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
The lighter weight the better. No glass items, for safety and weight reasons.
Just imaging reaching into the cupboard and cutting your hand on a broken glass on the first day out.
I agree but there is nothing like glass. When I'm hiking, it's my Snow Peak Titanium cup, but when camping, I like glass. I'd just wrap it in a clean dish cloth & put it safely in a covered pan.
BorninRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
For coffee (life in a mug), we use a number 6 Melita cone filter that has a long neck that fits perfectly in the mouth of a Stanley thermos. Put the paper filter in the cone, cone in the thermos, a huge amount of French roast, pour in a quart of hot water, and the deed is done. There's a handle on the thermos that keeps it from rolling around (most useful on the CDory). Keeps coffee drinkable all day.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master
1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Hey Drathaar, CDory isn't a Cape Dory, is it? Funny how so much revolves around how we make our coffee in our trailers! It reminds me of my friend and I driving across the US when were were 21 in my Tercel station wagon, and the most effort went into making excellent coffee at rest stops along the way.
Wherever you go, there you are
Globie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #27
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
I'm much in favor of insulated acrylic drinkware. Have converted over almost exclusively to the TERVIS brand. No rings, no worries. Perfect for coffee or iced tea or the more industrial-strength concoctions.

And I agree about not worrying over weight in the kitchen, per se. But, while I have cast iron cookware, it goes in a floor cabinet and is wedged against movement.

I would say that appliances are about the only change from what one might have at home. They quickly eat up storage space.

And it's always a little sad that folks will furnish their TT from garage sales and Goodwill (I don't mean "period authenticity") as it indicates their long-range or genuine thoughts & feelings about travelling in this manner. The type TT we all have is worthy of very nice things . . after all, it may be on the road in yet another 30-years. So why not quality in its' various aspects?

Good luck and have fun.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #28

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

DW likes the offerings from OXO and Kitchen Aid.

And a dedicated Chemex coffee maker for the Airstream. Timeless design and great coffee.

And a Rabbit of course....

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote