Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
"I want to thank all of you for doing an excellent job of selling something no one needs."

So intrigued by this - had to give it some thought. Why would the Chairman dare to be so brutally candid?

Because his customers create their own reality?
Old 09-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Not an expense

The "real" cost of an RV is the difference between price paid & amount received when sold. This gets worse if you consider dollar value at the 2 points in time. It is possible to sell for purchase price & still lose purchasing power.

Anyway, the purchase price is NOT an expense. You are only moving wealth from one pocket to another.

My advice is: when buying non essentials, do not borrow money to make the purchase.

If the RV will be your only residence, then perhaps a short term loan could be justified.

A better plan could be to pay cash for an RV, then save money to pay cash & trade for the RV you really want, later.
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
In my situation, my boys are 3 and 6. We go out literally every weekend. We just traded up to an 09 International 28 ft from a 71 26 foot that we'd only had a few months, just to see if we loved camping as much as we thought we would. We did. And more.

My justification is this: I could easily be dead in a year, in 20 years, in 40 years.....but I will know we crammed as much as we could into the times we had together. Those boys love it, our marriage is stronger and if that thing blow up tomorrow, man I've gotten every pennies worth already.

My mother-in-law and father-in-law worked and saved for "one day." Well, she died of cancer and he's in assisted living. In reality, they never did anything fun and spontaneous. We had the funds to pay cash, thanks to living frugally, so we just did it.

And we've never regretted it.
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
My obsession with Airstream's and Fountain Powerboats has had myself personally violating my "never buy, always lease anything that drives, floats, or flies. I've been able to stick to that with autos at least...I suppose in your case it literally IS your version of real estate therefore that right there justifies the cost...the only problem is unlike true real estate (though I've already offloaded a few of my rental properties anyways as I'm already predicting a mini-bubble burst in the very near future) RV's do nothing but depreciate...and fast. I actually can't believe what some Prevost's are going for right now...literally $500k gone in 5 years. wow.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #25
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
We’ve had a total of 4 Airstreams, two new (a 24’ International and a 30’ Classic) - our last two, a ’77 International and a ’67 Safari were just as useful and fun and infinitely more cost effective in terms of upkeep & maintenance... And all four of those were so much more cost effective than the 2 MoHo’s we had (Foretravel & Country Coach), which we fulltimed in. We lost alot re-selling our new International and Classic, we made money selling our 27’ International & 22’ Safari...

Since you are already fulltiming, I’d suggest defining what your needs are in terms of creature comforts and finances - it’s always best to fulltime with as little debt as possible. Let your money be spent traveling and enjoying your travels... We started out with a 24’ then went on to bigger & “better”, a 30'... settled for a couple years on the coast, sold the MoHo and ended up with our 22’ which is fine for shorter jaunts however as we are getting the fulltime travel bug again, we’ll move to a 28-30’ which we found as perfect for us fulltiming.

From owning new & used, I found I prefer the vintage to the “look” of the newer trailers - too much interior metal and what appears to be, cheaper materials. Besides, it always chapped me to spend money repairing cheap stuff on a new, expensive trailer. The difficulty is finding a pre-owned trailer that’s in good condition and that doesn’t have hidden problems... but of course, you find that in new ones, too...

Search classifieds in the forums. Try using search tempest.com to search Craigslist throughout the country... and take your time.... it’s a balancing act - cost & function, but you’ll get there.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
jholder, reminds me of an uncle who lived next door. We would often go there for Sunday morning pancakes. I was just a kid then, but will always remember the Tahitian girl salt and pepper shakers on the table. Why Tahitian? Because my uncle always wanted to go to Tahiti.

I can still see my uncle sitting at the table with those salt and pepper shakers. How many cold winter mornings did he look at them and dream of Tahiti before he left for work? It would be in the thousands But when he retired, he was too ill with COPD to go. Those salt and pepper shakers were his only "Tahiti."

Darnnit all....people should be able to realize at least one big dream in their life.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
"Justify the cost...."

That's a good one.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We bought our new 2010 27FB classic in 2009. Cost was more than the house we were living in. Justification is simple. Although the AS isn't as great as I would have expected for the money it IS the best available. We have been full timers since 2009. I have had quadruple bypass and have had high blood pressure. Now after six years of touring the country I am completely off all of my blood pressure medicines and have never felt better. The full timing with the AS reduced my stress levels and replaced them with laughter levels higher than I have ever had. isn't laughter the best medicine?

If you have to ask why should I then you are just not ready. Our decision to buy took only 10 seconds after we stepped into the 27FB Classic. I wouldn't exchange all of our adventures with anything. So for me the AS was expensive but the adventures have been priceless.

I really hope to see you in an AS soon. You will never regret it. Besides look at the great group of friends that you could run into along the way.

Happy Trails........
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #29
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I can't justify the cost.
It is a tremendously expensive overpriced trailer.
Even the big ones are small in comparison to other brands as far as storage and walk-around room.
The insurance is ridiculously expensive.
The maintenance and upkeep is tremendously expensive.
It is an addiction. The only cure is a very expensive, very large silver pill.
You buy an Airstream because you want an Airstream. The is no logic or reasoning to it.
I find this aspect of the question -- especially how does one justify buying anything -- fascinating. If truly affluent is never wanting what you cannot afford, one of the luxuries of affluence must surely be buying what you want. But why Airstream? My vintage airframe trailer is frequently mistaken for an Airstream by people who think every riveted aluminum trailer must be -- but also by Airstream owners at vintage trailer rallies. Airstream made very few 15' (ball coupler to rear bumper) trailers. (Cruisette? Wee Wind?) so they're not used to seeing small airframe trailers. But what you get when you buy an Airstream, besides all the "known and unknown known" headaches, is membership in the club. And that's important to many folks.

How much the club is worth, you tell me.; I'm not in it. I like Airforums because of knowledgable contributors. And, as someone pointed out, there's no snippy tone here, no unkind retort cloaked in internet anonymity.

Thanks for the riveting and aluminating discussion
Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #30
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Very nice older 31's and 34's can be found that wont break the bank. When I'm sleeping in mine, I cant tell the difference. When I'm under the ZipDee, the shade and breeze is just as nice. Just a thought.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Let's just cut to the chase - You buy an Airstream because you don't want to be another Big White Box owner in the campground. And how can you put a price on that?
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #32
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
To paraphrase Oscar Wilde: "cynics know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." For me, it IS about value -- and each of us has to decide this for ourselves. In some of the above posts there is a lot of reflective wisdom -- whether it's camping with young kids (instead of watching TV or everyone staring at their smartphones) -- or family members who were "we'll do that when we retire," and then health or other priorities came along. Fact is, we are all on a one way ticket....and everyone has the opportunity to make choices that fit what they value. That goes for everything -- from where and how you live, to our families, and to how we spend our time. Some of us are very fortunate and have the resources to make choices that others may not have. I know I'm very thankful to be in that category.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
jholder, reminds me of an uncle who lived next door. We would often go there for Sunday morning pancakes. I was just a kid then, but will always remember the Tahitian girl salt and pepper shakers on the table. Why Tahitian? Because my uncle always wanted to go to Tahiti.

I can still see my uncle sitting at the table with those salt and pepper shakers. How many cold winter mornings did he look at them and dream of Tahiti before he left for work? It would be in the thousands But when he retired, he was too ill with COPD to go. Those salt and pepper shakers were his only "Tahiti."

Darnnit all....people should be able to realize at least one big dream in their life.
Incredibly, incredibly touching. Thank you for this affirmation that everything else can wait.
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Olean , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Resale value means nothing to me. I intend to keep my Airstream until either I'm too old and feeble to use it, or it's too old and feeble for me to use, whichever comes first. Since it's mostly metal and I'm mostly flesh, I expect it will last longer than I do.

The reason I bought mine was that I was nearing retirement age, and wanted a retirement hobby. I've known too many people who retired and then didn't know what to do with themselves. I didn't want to be one of those people, so I decided on RV camping as my retirement hobby. My Airstream allows me to go new places, see and do new things, and meet new people, and that will help keep me young. Having been retired for the better part of a year so far, I am absolutely certain I made the right choice.

If low-stress Airstreaming can add even one year to my lifespan, it's worth every penny. How much is is an extra year of your life worth?
Well Said, My thoughts exactly!

AlumaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
What's the fastest way to turn $70,000 into $40,000? Buy a brand new Airstream! How to justify that? Call it a business office and write it off on your income taxes. Depreciate the unit using the standard 5 year depreciation schedule the IRS allows plus take the added Section 179 expensing of $25,000 off the top on this years taxes. You have to run a legitimate business though so don't get too inventive!
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdesign View Post
I'm obsessing about upgrading to a bigger AS. I full-time, so it would have a big impact on my daily life. But oh, the cost.
Do you think of it as an expense, as in: that purchase money is gone, or do you think of it as merely tying up that money for a time, since resale is relatively high?
How do you frame the decision for yourself?
thanks!

Don't try to justify it, just enjoy it, after all it's you money!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
How to Frame the Decision?

Easy? Will the costs of ownership keep me awake at night - or cause a HARDSHIP for my relationship with wife, husband, children's needs? If NOT, live your life in the toy you can afford! As has been pointed out: Life can be short! Second, it will be stressful to HAVE to sell because you didn't have the analysis right! If the AS is going to drain you, or the cost of needs are just being met: A RV is just a quickly depreciating toy. Many want a Panamerica, however, missed the opportunity. Get calls often from people hoping to snag a bargain. Dad taught me a good lesson: Don't buy stuff You can't afford - others will feast on your mistake.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:04 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I am in the same place as paiceman. I worked for 50 years, but I've figured out how to take it with me!
PDXRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:41 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Everyone, I am so grateful and moved by your many thoughtful replies. Especially the reminders to balance practicality with the "someday" that may never come. And stories of people who never lived their dreams.
And don't worry —*I won't consider a scenario that requires debt for this. I've been in a 22' with a wet bath for 5 years, so just getting a separate shower would be a big deal.
Used is definitely the smarter financial decision — my used one has hardly depreciated in 5 years. But every time I can't hear myself think or talk on a conference call as the AC loudly blows, I dream about ducted AC (which SOBs have had for years...)
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:19 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
It makes me happy.

Like most of you I worked hard and with a little luck retired with some savings. I met a women that liked to camp. I looked around a lot and decided an Airstream was a lot better than anything else I could find. Almost 6 years latter I still feel this way. We have had a lot of fun in our trailer. About a year ago we decided to go to Europe for 2 months. It was a great vacation and the memories will live on for the rest of our lives, but cost Wow. Makes our Airstream's seem cheap.

At about 73 it is about what I can afford and what makes me happy. And planning the trips, doing the maintanence, setting up camp and meeting all the people keeps me young and happy.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote