Old 09-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
This is more a question of 'Want' versus 'Need' - You 'Want' an Airstream, therefor you pay and pay and pay for it. Doesn't make sense, doesn't have to. Once you stop in the rest area and all the other SOB's are lusting after your AS you'll get it. Or maybe not. You buy this brand because it is what it is. There is no justification other than this: Does it make you happy? If the answer is yes, than that's all the justification you'll ever need. Enjoy.

One Long Shot
Beastie - 19'FC
The Beast - Mercedes 350 BlueTec
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
If anyone spends countless hours "justifying the cost," an Airstream is not for them.

The only "justification" in my choice was this: I decided to invest in myself. "Do something different before you rot away."

The decision was impetuous. I actually went shopping for a new bed....and came home with another bed all right....inside a brand-new Airstream. And I have no regrets.

Either that or I could have continued "investing" it in the bank for zilch interest...or re-invested in the stock market and obsessed over the daily DJA....or bought another home in an over-inflated real-estate market....and worried myself to death about when and if the bubble bursts.

Life is not easy. A rocky road? You bet. With an Airstream you can take an exit least for awhile.

Hope that helps.

easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
What's YOUR Priority?

What's the issue? People forever get into DEBT. You just see it everywhere. You either save like heck, or you get enticed into a want that your ego (and financial reality) can't REALLY support. Too many consumers simply can't really afford their needs, and their wants, most of their lives - period! The trick is knowing the difference. Too often we con ourselves into thinking we can HAVE IT ALL. Again, this is why you can get good AS deals from those that were not really ready for the AS they lusted to own. I see the look of awe EVERYwhere I travel. Yep, they are attention grabbers. Yep, just like children - they are mostly joys - Costly, all the same.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
Many years ago at a major German sports car manufacturer's meeting for the dealers, the chairman got up and stated, "I want to thank all of you for doing an excellent job of selling something no one needs."

No one "needs" an AS, thus, no justification is possible. It is about desire and budget.
Ha! Ha! Love it.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #19
2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
My justification...

Life is a vacation...and then you die.
Tsmith.wp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
My suggestion to you is buy used and don't get in a hurry. I have purchased two used Airstreams, a 25' and a 30', and got beautiful, slightly-used trailers at a great price. I also sold the 25' through AS classifieds and someone got a nice trailer for a lower price than I expected to sell for, simply because it was time for it to go. When someone finally decides to move a trailer, they often drop the price substantially lower than others are asking for the same rig. Keep your eye on the AS classifieds and when you see something you are interested in, ask questions and make them an offer. If they don't accept, keep your eye on the trailer and approach them again in a couple of weeks, if it is still listed.

Like the others say, it's often difficult to rationalize the price of an AS, but there is nothing wrong with buying at the lowest price you can find!

Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
"I want to thank all of you for doing an excellent job of selling something no one needs."

So intrigued by this - had to give it some thought. Why would the Chairman dare to be so brutally candid?

Because his customers create their own reality?
Old 09-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Not an expense

The "real" cost of an RV is the difference between price paid & amount received when sold. This gets worse if you consider dollar value at the 2 points in time. It is possible to sell for purchase price & still lose purchasing power.

Anyway, the purchase price is NOT an expense. You are only moving wealth from one pocket to another.

My advice is: when buying non essentials, do not borrow money to make the purchase.

If the RV will be your only residence, then perhaps a short term loan could be justified.

A better plan could be to pay cash for an RV, then save money to pay cash & trade for the RV you really want, later.
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
In my situation, my boys are 3 and 6. We go out literally every weekend. We just traded up to an 09 International 28 ft from a 71 26 foot that we'd only had a few months, just to see if we loved camping as much as we thought we would. We did. And more.

My justification is this: I could easily be dead in a year, in 20 years, in 40 years.....but I will know we crammed as much as we could into the times we had together. Those boys love it, our marriage is stronger and if that thing blow up tomorrow, man I've gotten every pennies worth already.

My mother-in-law and father-in-law worked and saved for "one day." Well, she died of cancer and he's in assisted living. In reality, they never did anything fun and spontaneous. We had the funds to pay cash, thanks to living frugally, so we just did it.

And we've never regretted it.
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
My obsession with Airstream's and Fountain Powerboats has had myself personally violating my "never buy, always lease anything that drives, floats, or flies. I've been able to stick to that with autos at least...I suppose in your case it literally IS your version of real estate therefore that right there justifies the cost...the only problem is unlike true real estate (though I've already offloaded a few of my rental properties anyways as I'm already predicting a mini-bubble burst in the very near future) RV's do nothing but depreciate...and fast. I actually can't believe what some Prevost's are going for right now...literally $500k gone in 5 years. wow.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #25
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
We’ve had a total of 4 Airstreams, two new (a 24’ International and a 30’ Classic) - our last two, a ’77 International and a ’67 Safari were just as useful and fun and infinitely more cost effective in terms of upkeep & maintenance... And all four of those were so much more cost effective than the 2 MoHo’s we had (Foretravel & Country Coach), which we fulltimed in. We lost alot re-selling our new International and Classic, we made money selling our 27’ International & 22’ Safari...

Since you are already fulltiming, I’d suggest defining what your needs are in terms of creature comforts and finances - it’s always best to fulltime with as little debt as possible. Let your money be spent traveling and enjoying your travels... We started out with a 24’ then went on to bigger & “better”, a 30'... settled for a couple years on the coast, sold the MoHo and ended up with our 22’ which is fine for shorter jaunts however as we are getting the fulltime travel bug again, we’ll move to a 28-30’ which we found as perfect for us fulltiming.

From owning new & used, I found I prefer the vintage to the “look” of the newer trailers - too much interior metal and what appears to be, cheaper materials. Besides, it always chapped me to spend money repairing cheap stuff on a new, expensive trailer. The difficulty is finding a pre-owned trailer that’s in good condition and that doesn’t have hidden problems... but of course, you find that in new ones, too...

Search classifieds in the forums. Try using search to search Craigslist throughout the country... and take your time.... it’s a balancing act - cost & function, but you’ll get there.
Bill & Kim
34’ Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
jholder, reminds me of an uncle who lived next door. We would often go there for Sunday morning pancakes. I was just a kid then, but will always remember the Tahitian girl salt and pepper shakers on the table. Why Tahitian? Because my uncle always wanted to go to Tahiti.

I can still see my uncle sitting at the table with those salt and pepper shakers. How many cold winter mornings did he look at them and dream of Tahiti before he left for work? It would be in the thousands But when he retired, he was too ill with COPD to go. Those salt and pepper shakers were his only "Tahiti."

Darnnit all....people should be able to realize at least one big dream in their life.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
"Justify the cost...."

That's a good one.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We bought our new 2010 27FB classic in 2009. Cost was more than the house we were living in. Justification is simple. Although the AS isn't as great as I would have expected for the money it IS the best available. We have been full timers since 2009. I have had quadruple bypass and have had high blood pressure. Now after six years of touring the country I am completely off all of my blood pressure medicines and have never felt better. The full timing with the AS reduced my stress levels and replaced them with laughter levels higher than I have ever had. isn't laughter the best medicine?

If you have to ask why should I then you are just not ready. Our decision to buy took only 10 seconds after we stepped into the 27FB Classic. I wouldn't exchange all of our adventures with anything. So for me the AS was expensive but the adventures have been priceless.

I really hope to see you in an AS soon. You will never regret it. Besides look at the great group of friends that you could run into along the way.

Happy Trails........

gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote