Old 02-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #29
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
It is appropriate that they used the word "yacht". They are carrying forth all the silly things that are being done to pleasure boats for the last 20 years or more. In my mind a travel trailer and yacht are both tools for recreation. They should be pleasant, but functional and trouble free. They should first be sea or road worthy. The next concern should be finding a compromise between comfort, functionality and durability. If Airstream wants to sell a $150,000 trailer. I would suggest they start by improving the quality control of their construction and supply better quality parts and accessories in their builds. I don't want to walk into my future trailer and say, "Wow!, this is pretty". I want to to say, "Wow!, look how well built, thought out and functional this is.

I'll bet, for your $150,000, if you pull a drawer out all the way, you will still find unused rivets, scraps of aluminum, scraps of wire, and metal shavings rolling around.

Just my opinion,

Ken

Old 02-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
ONE of these days I will...

start with an AVION and do something like this.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
The feature I really want here is the ducted climate control system. That would be nice.

Otherwise, I bet I could even get out of Timeless with a totally super-redone 60s Overlander for that price! (Not that this trailer is bad…not at all…)

Tom
Old 02-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #32
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I suspect changes are in the pipeline. I really doubt this will be a high volume seller. There are lots of other tt companies making innovative and quality vehicles. AS needs to move ahead in their own world. Pricing themselves out of the market is a foolish idea. Staying competative is important. By this time of 80 plus years of doing this you ( or me being an engineer) would think the kinks ( all still being major) would be long gone.
I agree about ducted hvac.... quiet and puts air where you need it.
I hope good changes not stupid money driven changes propel this company to the next 80 years. Who knows maybe Tara motors should buy and make it Indian upscale.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I really like the flooring, and the shower. But besides that, I prefer mine

I do yoga to relieve stress, just kidding I drink wine in yoga pants
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
The feature I really want here is the ducted climate control system. That would be nice.

Otherwise, I bet I could even get out of Timeless with a totally super-redone 60s Overlander for that price! (Not that this trailer is bad…not at all…)

Tom
Here are the specs from Airstream:

Airstream, Inc :: Specifications

I am curious where you found the mention of ducted climate control.

Airstreams specs show 2 A/C's as standard, although this unit claims to have only 1. They appear to be standard roof mounts.

Maybe the ducted reference is to the ducting from the furnace to the 4 heat vents like we have in our 31. They don't work all that well at distributing heat if left stock.

I am curious what the dry weight is. The GVW is 8200#, but I can't find a figure for dry weight.

I see some interesting but not appealing to me features. I'm guessing I'm not in the target market.

Ken
Old 02-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
A friend told me he seen a $79k F150 at the dealership, I wonder if it would be a match for this 28 footer.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You could ask why anyone would buy a loaded 27' Classic for $100k when the same shell, frame and gym's are on the 27' Flying Cloud for $70k. Or $450k for a motorhome that will lose much of the price of this Land Yacht overnight. I like it but we've got it pretty nice in what we have.

We rarely use the air conditioner but can certainly see a quieter, ducted system a genuine Airstream improvement. The wrap-around dinette seating must be more comfortable for lounging than the other models, and the table is interesting. If that's really a teak floor it would be a good upgrade for many of us, very nice. Classy bath space.

They are exploring some nifty features here that may benefit future Airstreams, and gives us ideas.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #37

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Here are the specs from Airstream:

Airstream, Inc :: Specifications

I am curious where you found the mention of ducted climate control.

Airstreams specs show 2 A/C's as standard, although this unit claims to have only 1. They appear to be standard roof mounts.

Maybe the ducted reference is to the ducting from the furnace to the 4 heat vents like we have in our 31. They don't work all that well at distributing heat if left stock.

I am curious what the dry weight is. The GVW is 8200#, but I can't find a figure for dry weight.

I see some interesting but not appealing to me features. I'm guessing I'm not in the target market.

Ken
The photos of this trailer show both of the roof-mounted AC units. The interior photos don't show them, and do show ducts in several places. The ducted AC has been a much-discussed feature of the Land Yacht since the noisy AC is a common point of complaint in RVs and lots of other brands have gone to ducted systems that are still supplied by a roof-mounted "package unit" that just doesn't have the same inside part.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The photos of this trailer show both of the roof-mounted AC units. The interior photos don't show them, and do show ducts in several places. The ducted AC has been a much-discussed feature of the Land Yacht since the noisy AC is a common point of complaint in RVs and lots of other brands have gone to ducted systems that are still supplied by a roof-mounted "package unit" that just doesn't have the same inside part.
Thanks, I'll do a little research. I'm amazed they can get a useful duct between inner and outer shell. Perhaps the ceiling is dropped a bit.

Ken
Old 02-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #39

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Thanks, I'll do a little research. I'm amazed they can get a useful duct between inner and outer shell. Perhaps the ceiling is dropped a bit.

Ken
I've been guessing that they must play with the ceiling height at least a little bit, perhaps bringing it down to around what it is under the normal interior protrusion of the AC unit? Between the skins I can't see them having enough room for both insulation and carrying the air, and they'd HAVE to have insulation or the ducts would waste lots of the delta-T of the air in them.

When you look at the photos that show the ceiling it looks like most (all?) of the ducts are within a couple of feet of where the outside unit would be located, so they may be trading off having flattened ducts with short runs to get decent airflow where they need it and (hopefully) reducing a lot of noise in the process. I'd love to hear one in operation and/or see measurements to see if they get any noise improvement or if it's just cosmetic.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
What a beauty...I wonder if she leaks.....
Old 02-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocus View Post
If the frame flexes, probably will.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocus View Post

The way it's finished, it would be hard to tell. Maybe that's the plan.

Ken