Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Middle , Georgia
Hi from Georgia

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm shopping for a vintage Airstream. This is a great site! I've been spending hours and hours reading restoration threads and how-tos.

I have a camp site with a shelter and deck that will fully cover a 31 foot AS. My goal is to get a vintage AS in decent structural shape to use for camping at my lease with the plan to slowly update it so my wife and I can use it for traveling when I retire.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on one so I'll be picking some brains soon on figuring out all of the systems and proper maintenance.

Thanks!
swamperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Have fun

I think you will find several other Georgians like my self that would be happy to give you some advice. I can assure you each of us have several don't as we found out the hard way. It will be fun and the fact you have a cover for it will help a lot. Call on any one on the forum and you will be surprised how much help you will get If you can brake away come to Hawassee the weekend of April 22 and see a large array of re-furnished Air Streams. It will give you lots of ideas.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Taylors , South Carolina
Welcome to the forums! Good luck on your hunt for the perfect AS for you and your wife.
Mortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Middle , Georgia
Thanks for the kind words! GAT, I'm looking at several early '70s Sovereign Land Yachts so mine may not be too different from the one in your signature. (at year/model) I'm searching for a "pre-purchase inspection check list" for the early Sovereigns so I can do a thorough inspection before making a purchase.

I'm sure if I look hard enough, I'll find it. This site has so much great information!

Thanks for the invitation too! I'll be traveling but that sounds like a great way to get some remodeling ideas. Hopefully, I can catch the next gathering!
swamperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:52 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
Porterdale , Georgia
Glad to meet another fellow Georgian (Go Dawgs. Sorry, it's a law.). Love meeting friends at Top Of Georgia. Hope you enjoy 'Streaming as much as we do. We're currently in our 4th week of an "extended stay" while our entire house is being rehab'd due to a broken incoming water line flooding the house. So far so good; we still love our trailer and still love each other.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
What to look for

My 1976 was in terrible shape. My handicapped uncle used it 25 years up on blocks. It took two years plus on going work to fix up so be prepared . Fixing should be a lot of the fun or buy a much newer one. Others will have opinions what to look for but this is important. Buy you a small scratch awl and in areas possible try to chech for rotten floor like around windows, vent pipes etc. I'm not willing to do a shell off repair. Other stuff can be repaired as time and money is available . Remember the most important rule" double your time- triple your money"

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote