Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Victoria , Texas
Hello Airstreamer

Hello all, new to the forum and I am investigating campers to include as part of the travels the spouse and I plan to start. Retirement is just a year away. Just wondering if anyone can suggest or assist with my problem. How do I include my big Harley bagger (Road Glide Ultra) and a camper. I've looked at various Toy Haulers (too high from ground) and even consider the Horse trailer Living quarters from Sundowner, Featherlite and others. Just a wide variety and compromises to these options. The RGU weighs in #900-1000# full up wet. Hope to learn some things from the forum, and make a choice. Always liked the Airstreams for the looks, efficient design, but how to include a big bike?
bockstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I've seen Harleys in the back of long bed pickups. Expensive option, but if you can affor a Harley AND an Airstream.....
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Victoria , Texas
Airstream and Harleys

Clean living and good choices, plus 40+ years of steady working can set you up fairly well. Just trying to put the two together if possible. My TV is a short bed and yes there are devices that will winch most bikes up into the bed with the tailgate down or removed. That won't work for the receiver hitch and trailer jack
bockstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Google Airstream PanAmerica.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Options

Big TV - bed loader

Class B and cycle trailer - query the B-forum for alternatives. Something like 20 different mfgs to investigate - Old Airstream B-van was a Ford Van conversion if you are into renovation at all.

Airstream MoHo - same situation - lots to renovate, but beautiful when done right.

The horse trailer option is a real interesting way to go. Solid structure and kind of custom capable.

The PanAmerica has always sounded interesting - but not many around.

There is the possibility of an older long Airstream - doing a frame off renovation, upgrading the frame to weight carry capacity, adding doors in the back and building your own toy hauler. You would certainly get a following.

So, the only normal way to do it is to get a long bed truck with appropriate payload capacity.

Or ...... pull the bed off the truck and side load the bike, like the old Corvair truck.

Or ...... well you get the idea. It is a challenge. Brother has same with an SOB. Bike stays in garage and they make bike trips or trailer trips. It's a bit about what you and your budget will allow. There is an SOB that has a slide out to accomodate a bike. Think it's too small for a full up bagger, but it's still high off the ground. You can make life easier and safer too if your truck is lowered. Easier to get into and easier to load the bike.

A year - better get started - it will be gone in no time at all. Pat

Edit: If you figure out a great idea, you may have an idea you can sell. Yes, you might.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote