Old 02-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
AIRFORUMS # 005

1966 26' Overlander
North , Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to ALANSD
Healthy Eating!

Maybe we can share some of our healthier recipes and ideas here. No arguing about what is healthy and what is not please.

I was diagnosed via a Coronary calcium scan at Emory Universiy Hospital-- with coronary artery disease- better known as arterial plaque.
Once it started at age 55, it grew like crazy until my scan score at four yrs ago was a 375. Dangerous and worrisome.. but as I found out very curable.
(My Dr did not think this was true, so I fired him).He preached statin drugs which made me feel like crap.
Long story short- after two years on a modified diet....low carbs- no wheat products especially...and a few added supplements..my last scan in the Spring showed a 70% regression in the arterial plaque, whihc means I have arrested its growth!
As heart disease runs in my genes...many men in my family did not make 60..
I am very pleased at my progress. I will share a recipe for low carb non grain bread that is fantastic.
I iwll be a very healty 65 in two months

Amazing Bread from Maria Mind Body Health |
1 1/2 cup blanched almond flour (5 oz) (or 1/2 cup coconut flour or 2.5 oz)
5 TBS psyllium husk powder (no substitutes) (45 grams) (must be a fine powder, not whole husks)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
2 1/2 TBS apple cider vinegar (1 oz)
3 egg whites (6 egg whites if using coconut flour) (about 3.5 oz for almond flour option, 7 oz for coconut flour)
7/8 cup (a little less than a cup) BOILING water (or MARINARA – for more Tomato Basil Bread!) (7 oz)

OPTION: Use 2 whole eggs (Almond flour version) or 4 whole eggs (coconut flour version). If you are having trouble with it rising using whole eggs you can try egg whites.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, psyllium powder (no substitutes: flaxseed meal won’t work), baking powder and salt. Mix until dry ingredients are well combined. Add in the eggs and vinegar and mix until a thick dough. Add boiling water or marinara into the bowl. Mix until well combined and dough firms up.

Form into 4 to 5 mini subs (the dough will rise about 2 to 3 times so I start mine as a 1 inch disk, see picture below) or one large sub/loaf and place onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for 55 minutes (45-50 minutes for smaller shapes like buns). Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely. Cut open with a serrated knife. Fill with desired fillings. Makes 5 servings.

NOTE! If you are having an issue with a bubble, try weighing your ingredients as listed above. I use this kitchen scale.

ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
Maybe we can share some of our healthier recipes and ideas here. No arguing about what is healthy and what is not please.

I was diagnosed via a Coronary calcium scan at Emory Universiy Hospital-- with coronary artery disease- better known as arterial plaque.
Once it started at age 55, it grew like crazy until my scan score at four yrs ago was a 375. Dangerous and worrisome.. but as I found out very curable.
(My Dr did not think this was true, so I fired him).He preached statin drugs which made me feel like crap.
Long story short- after two years on a modified diet....low carbs- no wheat products especially...and a few added supplements..my last scan in the Spring showed a 70% regression in the arterial plaque, whihc means I have arrested its growth!
As heart disease runs in my genes...many men in my family did not make 60..
I am very pleased at my progress. I will share a recipe for low carb non grain bread that is fantastic.
I iwll be a very healty 65 in two months

Amazing Bread from Maria Mind Body Health |
1 1/2 cup blanched almond flour (5 oz) (or 1/2 cup coconut flour or 2.5 oz)
5 TBS psyllium husk powder (no substitutes) (45 grams) (must be a fine powder, not whole husks)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
2 1/2 TBS apple cider vinegar (1 oz)
3 egg whites (6 egg whites if using coconut flour) (about 3.5 oz for almond flour option, 7 oz for coconut flour)
7/8 cup (a little less than a cup) BOILING water (or MARINARA – for more Tomato Basil Bread!) (7 oz)

OPTION: Use 2 whole eggs (Almond flour version) or 4 whole eggs (coconut flour version). If you are having trouble with it rising using whole eggs you can try egg whites.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, psyllium powder (no substitutes: flaxseed meal won’t work), baking powder and salt. Mix until dry ingredients are well combined. Add in the eggs and vinegar and mix until a thick dough. Add boiling water or marinara into the bowl. Mix until well combined and dough firms up.

Form into 4 to 5 mini subs (the dough will rise about 2 to 3 times so I start mine as a 1 inch disk, see picture below) or one large sub/loaf and place onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for 55 minutes (45-50 minutes for smaller shapes like buns). Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely. Cut open with a serrated knife. Fill with desired fillings. Makes 5 servings.

NOTE! If you are having an issue with a bubble, try weighing your ingredients as listed above. I use this kitchen scale.

ALANSD,
I agree with you. A new thread with 'healthy' ... 'Healthier' food would be great.
This recipe can be the start.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Faux Banana Pancakes

Trust me with this one. Super healthy and, in my opinion, way better tasting than the usual kind of pancakes.

This recipe feeds 2 people. And it's bulletproof. You can vary the number of eggs and bananas, and it just always comes out tasting great.

PANCAKES
3 eggs (use 4 eggs if you're really hungry)
1 large banana or 2 smaller ones
About 1/2 teaspoon, or a dash, of cinnamon (I've never measured it)
Wheat germ (I've never measured, but maybe 1/4+ cup)
Ground flax seed (optional)

1. Whisk the eggs with a fork
2. On a flat plate, mash the banana as much as possible with a fork
3. Add the banana to the eggs, and mix together
4. Add the cinnamon. Don't add too much. I just sprinkle some in.
5. Add enough wheat germ so that the mixture thickens up a bit. You just need it to be thick enough so that it sets up and doesn't run all over the pan.
6. Cook in a frying pan, just like pancakes.

TOPPING
1. 1/2 cup plain yogurt
2. Mix in honey to sweeten
3. Put on top of your pancakes

Top with blueberries and walnuts
Old 02-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
(formerly doug&maggie)

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:

Okay, then! Deal!

I'll leave your foods alone if you leave mine and my breads alone.

We work to keep our carbs under control, making most of them wholegrain, also to keep our fresh fruit and vegetable consumption up.

We try to limit meals out to once per week, prepare everything else ourselves and eat meatless main meals 2-3 times per week.

Seems to be working.

Maggie
Old 02-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Alansd, how great that your health is improving!

With the limited cooking facilities in the Bambi, preparing elaborate meals is out of the question, unless it's in the Dutch oven, with the food prep outside. For a short trip, I often make some prepared salads at home to take along, using olive oil and vineagar dressings rather than mayo. On a longer trip, we eat a lot of green salads. Normally I don't buy pre-bagged salad greens, but they are more convenient on a trip. Raw nuts of various types are a health food and a good snack. (We buy ours at Costco where they are both more economical and much fresher than the ordinary supermarket ones.) The staples include green tea and roiboos tea: both good anti-oxidants.

Certain types of Japanese food are great for travel. The salad types of dried seaweed are very light and convient to make: soak till reconstituted, drain, and toss with rice vinegar and sesame oil, and maybe a scant amount of (organic) sugar. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if you have some. They often serve cold soba noodles and cubed tofu with an easy soy sauce dressing. You can make cucumber or avocado "sashimi" by slicing the veggies and dressing them with soy sauce and lemon juice, and serving it alongside some boiled shrimp with a purchased dipping sauce, or simple soy-vineagar dressing. (No wonder the Japanese live so long.)

If sushi is your thing, the rice (gluten free!) is easy to make so long as you remember to wash and pre-soak it. This can be done in the morning and left in the fridge when you travel. (Just bring alone some rice vineagar and a hint of sugar and wasabi horseradish: prepared or the dry powder.) The nigiri style (a hand-pressed oval of rice with a tidbit draped over it) is easy to make with conventional lox if really fresh fish is unobtainable. Make a cup of green tea, and you have a small feast.

Oatmeal is good for cholesterol problems.

Oh, and don't forget the red wine, if you imbibe: it is good for your heart, as is the stress-reducing relaxation with a glass in the evening after a long day's drive or fun outing.

Cheers! Jeanne
Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Oh yes, oatmeal. When we're in the AS, we've been buying the packets of instant plain oatmeal. Just add water. Then add a little chocolate protein powder. Then add a cut up banana and walnuts.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Fats

Alan,

We eat pretty healthy and so I am always looking for a new way to improve our diet. I was all into proclaimed healthy fat "coconut oil", even bought a giant 54 oz. pure, unrefined, cold pressed, 100% organic extra virgin coconut oil.

Then a dear friend who happens to be a nutritionist came to visit for a few days. I was excited to tell her about my recent purchase.

She smiled, waited a moment and then proclaimed, "do you really want to eat a fat that in its natural state is solid". It will most certainly clog your arteries. I read the back, it is 58% sat fat. Calories 130, fat from calories 130.
That struck me like a bolt of lightning. I am back to my olive oil. 1 large jar coconut oil (unopened) for give away.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
AIRFORUMS # 005

1966 26' Overlander
North , Georgia
your friend was wrong about coconut oil It has an array of very good health benefits. And since your body temp is over 98 it will never be solid. That was simply lack of knowledge.
Even if you use it on your skin it is terrific for you.

Has she never heard of MCT oil?

even Dr Oz likes it...

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/surpr...ts-coconut-oil
Old 02-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I do a lot of our cooking and as heart disease runs in both my dad's and my mom's family this is something I always keep in mind.

Here's my healthy pancake mix:

2 cups of whole wheat flour
2 cups of oat flour
1/2 cup of sprouted milled flax seed
1 tsp of salt
3 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp baking soda
1/2 cup brown sugar (optional)

To prepare (feed two adults, three kids)

1 cup of mixture
1 cup of milk
1 egg
1 tbsp melted butter (fat, in moderation is not bad for heart health - replace with coconut oil if concerned about butter)
If no sugar was added to mix, I add maple syrup to the batter
1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar ( this is optional, but the acid in the vinegar reacts with the baking powder and makes extra fluffy pancakes)

Mix batter, make pancakes, serve with slides bananas, fruit and walnuts.

Other good things to do:

Exercise ( I walk to work and back)
A glass of pomegranate juice a day is proven to fight heart disease
Kombucha tea
A handful of nuts, eaten at breakfast.

My go-to breakfast during the week is:

1 banana
1 cup of frozen bluberries
1/2 cup of oats (uncooked)
walnuts, five or six (shelled)
flax seed, sprouted and milled, a tablespoon full
Chia seeds, the same

In a blender, fill with a mixture of kombucha, pomegranate juice and almond milk. Process into a smoothie, drink.

"A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent upon arriving"
-- Lao Tzu
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Strawberry Muffins, Gluten Free

We made these muffins this week and declared them a defiinite "do again" recipe. Found the recipe on the Internet on bethias.wordpress.com.

Strawberry Muffins, Gluten Free

Ingredients
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup quinoa flour
2/3 cup teff flour (almond flour/meal also works)
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1 1/2 teaspoons xantham gum
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries

Directions
Combine oil, milk, and egg. Beat lightly. In a separate large bowl, mix flours, xantham gum, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Add the liquid mixture and mix thoroughly. Stir in chopped strawberries. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

We sprinkled the tops of the muffins with a little cinnamon sugar before putting them into the oven and served them with a dollop of yogurt. I think it would be fine to use other fresh fruits besides strawberries in the recipe.

The muffins bake up like a cross between a small muffin and a big drop cookie. Quite tasty.

My plan is to mix up the dry ingredients for these muffins ahead of time. When we travel all we'll have to do is measure out the appropriate amount of dry ingredients, add the liquid and fresh fruit, then mix up the batter, and bake.

nancy mac
Old 02-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
your friend was wrong about coconut oil It has an array of very good health benefits. And since your body temp is over 98 it will never be solid. That was simply lack of knowledge.
Even if you use it on your skin it is terrific for you.

Has she never heard of MCT oil?

even Dr Oz likes it...
The Surprising Health Benefits of Coconut Oil | The Dr. Oz Show
Do you really believe everything Dr OZ says....

Alan, I give you the benefit of the doubt as I gave my friend, I will do some further research on the coconut oil before I make a final conclusion. Also I will look into MCT oil, which I know nothing about.

I make a skin defoliant which I do use the coconut oil for. So the answer is yes to skin care. I use olive oil too.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
AIRFORUMS # 005

1966 26' Overlander
North , Georgia
Look into Dr william Davis- a brilliant cardiologist

see wheatbellyblog.com

and

enlightening stuff
Old 02-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #13
(formerly doug&maggie)

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our favorite hot breakfast cereal is steel cut oats and quinoa, equal parts, cooked.

Tad bit of brown sugar and cinnamon, a little milk....sometimes fresh blueberries......yum!

Maggie
Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #14
Don't forget your cat nap

2010 31' Classic
Longmont , Colorado
My recipe of how to eat (and live) healthily

If you really want to eat and live healthily, the first thing is to decide that eating is something to do in order to keep your body functioning at a high level. As long as one views eating as a fun thing to do, you may convince yourself that you are eating healthy, but you will only being eating slightly less unhealthy.

When I decided about 8 years ago that I was going to change my life style, I did it in steps, that I am still making improvements upon.

My first step was to totally eliminate caffeine and alcohol. My next step was sugar. I read labels and if sugar is in the ingredients, I don't buy it. That includes all the BS names they use to try to hide the fact that it contains sugar. I never add sugar to anything. In is virtually impossible to buy breakfast foods that do not have sugar added. So I buy bulk ingredients and make my own in large batches. I eat meat very sparingly. When I do eat meat, maybe once a week, it is fish, or white poultry meat. My latest project has been a effort to get as small an amount of sodium as possible. One again, that means reading labels and not buying it if salt has been added.

The thing that surprised me the most was the short period of withdrawal that was involved with losing these addictions. Basically a couple of weeks or so. When I look at the candy in stores, I have memories of what it tastes like, but no desire to buy it. When I eat any food that has a fair amount of salt, it nearly makes me gag. One can of Campbell's soup has more salt than any source says you should limit yourself to in a day.

Once or twice a month I take a slight vacation from my routine and we go out to dinner. although I try to select something somewhat less unhealthy, the next day my system is so adapted to eating natural foods, that it says. "What the H was that, and basically purges itself.

Also, obviously a dedicated exercise regime is also a necessary part of this.

You might think that this is a boring way to live. However the self satisfaction of knowing that I am in control, and not addicted to all these things that I don't need is a much better feeling.

My whole point is not to put down what you are all doing, but just saying that once you start doing it and get used to it, it is very satifisfying to really eat a healthy diet.

What rang my bell was seeing recipes with teaspoons of salt and cups of sugar and butter being referred to as healthy. For example, most modern studies and the American Heart Assoc recommend that one should not have more than 1500 mg of sodium daily. One teaspoon of salt contains 1680 mg of sodium. I have found that I can get all the sodium I require from simply fruit and vegetables.

Feel free to ignore this post, I just hope something in it causes a little thought.

Ken