Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Road food (if kept in a cooler)can include full fat Yogurt, fruit especially berries and nuts like almonds. I was on the road as a musician for years. I carried a small hot plate to use to make beans and rice, etc.
Today there are a lot of great Bars to eat...protein and meal type bars etc. I like the Atkins bars which have low carbs.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #102
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Protag, would the 80% causation figure relate to distracted driving in general, i.e. phoning, texting, eating, radio dial twigging, etc? Seems a little high just for eating (though messy Big Macs are a problem).
The report I read specifically mentioned eating behind the wheel, not distracted driving in general. However, it also mentioned "accidents"— not injuries or fatalities or damage— so it may include trivial accidents like letting your foot off the brake at an intersection and barely bumping the car in front of you, or missing a turn and driving off the pavement onto the grass before you catch yourself and get back on the road with no damage to anything but your nerves.

It is significant— to me at least— that most of the foods listed in the study tend to be those that can be messy to eat or drink. Dumping food in your lap or getting your hands messy is always a distraction that takes your mind off the road.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #103
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
But whether the statistics are accurate or not, it's pretty clear that NOT eating behind the wheel is healithier; it could save your life!
And your waistline!
Old 03-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #104
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
This thread has been an interesting read. My question after all the organic ingredient references is, "What are the inorganic ingredients people have been eating?"
MSG, salt, pesticides, herbicides, BHT, synthesized flavour enhancers, extenders, dyes, &c. Plus some more common ones like baking powder and baking soda.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I hope this recipe fits the thread, one of our family favourites, home made power bars guaranteed to get you up any mountain pass. Substitute organic ingredients as desired.

Home Made Eat More Bars

1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup beehive golden syrup
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/4 cups quaker oats
2 cups unsalted peanuts

Prepare an 8x8 inch pan with a little butter.

Reduce the size of the oats in a blender. Don't let them get to powder, just a little smaller. Squish the peanuts under a roller, leave reasonable sized chunks.

Heat the peanut butter and corn syrup in a saucepan to boiling.

Add the chocolate chips, oats, and peanuts. Stir until chocolate has melted, then pour into the prepared 8x8 inch pan.

Chill then slice. Can be frozen for later if you wish.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
According to a 2009 study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a whopping 80% (!) of all traffic accidents are caused by eating while driving.

Based on their study, the dining habits most likely to cause an accident are (in descending order):
1 - Drinking coffee (but how does that qualify as "eating"?)
2 - Drinking/eating soup
3 - Eating tacos
4 - Eating chili dogs
5 - Eating hamburgers
6 - Eating fried chicken
7 - Eating jelly doughnuts (but other kinds are okay?)
8 - Drinking sodas (this is the only one I do behind the wheel anymore)
9 - Eating chocolate
The study's top ten list is one entry short. But whether the statistics are accurate or not, it's pretty clear that NOT eating behind the wheel is healithier; it could save your life!
Our Zombie group has experiended some difficulty with bone 'n gristle soup and those liver tacos while motoring.

However, mortality is never an issue......

Old 03-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #107
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I remain entertained by how frequently (and quickly) an inarticulately worded phrase on the forum triggers clarifying responses.

So, for those inclined, I deviate to traditional definitions before marketers rewrote the language. Inorganic:*without carbon, electrons spin counterclockwise, and cannot bring life to human/animal cells. Notably, plants can turn inorganic minerals into organic minerals through photosynthesis. *Organic: contain carbon, electrons spin clockwise, and can be used to bring life to cells. Organic includes minerals within the category as just mentioned; the human body actually uses ~70 organic minerals.

It is a pretty simple classification/separation method and can be used to debate nutritious or toxic within limits. By definition, inorganic is simply something the body has no sustaining use for and, thus, attempts to eliminate. During the elimination process bad things can happen like high blood pressure, gall stones, etc. Let's agree these items need to be restricted or eliminated from the diet. Otherwise, the organic stuff is really all about fueling the body efficiently and each of us deviates within a range of effectiveness; some much better than others (allergies, etc.). The human body is a marvelous thing, adapts surprising well across diets, but suffers undesirable consequences when the nutrients deviate from that body's processing capabilities.*

My original question was only meant to be a humorous observation on the unscientific use of the term 'Organic' and it's highly variable, but heartfelt, compliance by converts. *You gotta love the consequences of free market capitalism, consumer marketing messages and cultural evolution.

-- Sent with auto misspellings
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #108
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
I remain entertained by how frequently (and quickly) an inarticulately worded phrase on the forum triggers clarifying responses.

So, for those inclined, I deviate to traditional definitions before marketers rewrote the language. Inorganic:*without carbon, electrons spin counterclockwise, and cannot bring life to human/animal cells. Notably, plants can turn inorganic minerals into organic minerals through photosynthesis. *Organic: contain carbon, electrons spin clockwise, and can be used to bring life to cells. Organic includes minerals within the category as just mentioned; the human body actually uses ~70 organic minerals.

It is a pretty simple classification/separation method and can be used to debate nutritious or toxic within limits. By definition, inorganic is simply something the body has no sustaining use for and, thus, attempts to eliminate. During the elimination process bad things can happen like high blood pressure, gall stones, etc. Let's agree these items need to be restricted or eliminated from the diet. Otherwise, the organic stuff is really all about fueling the body efficiently and each of us deviates within a range of effectiveness; some much better than others (allergies, etc.). The human body is a marvelous thing, adapts surprising well across diets, but suffers undesirable consequences when the nutrients deviate from that body's processing capabilities.*

My original question was only meant to be a humorous observation on the unscientific use of the term 'Organic' and it's highly variable, but heartfelt, compliance by converts. *You gotta love the consequences of free market capitalism, consumer marketing messages and cultural evolution.

-- Sent with auto misspellings
This is an interesting dissertation. However I read it three times carefully and am still unable to discern what your point is.

If it is that a word is being used in one context differently than it is used in another, that is very common in our language. Quite frequently, one has to know the subject matter being discussed before they understand the meaning of a word in its present context.

If, however, your point is that people are being duped by free market capitalism into unnecessarily going out of their way to eat foods that they have been told are healthy, I think you are way out of the realm of facts and deep into opinion.

If neither of those are what you are trying to establish, then I give up.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #109
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Organic used to mean something specific, now it does not. Marketing food as "organic" seems hilarious to me since it always has been, regardless of how grown, manufactured, or genetically altered.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #110
Rivet Master

Quote:
Organic used to mean something specific, now it does not.
Only in the context of a chemistry book or to a chemistry major did it have a narrow definition.

There is nothing new to this:

Perhaps you don't get out enough.

Here there are several definitions:

Organic - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Why don't we just let these people discuss their food?

Ken
Old 03-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #111
Rivet Master

Info for fellow radical anti salt members only

I finally called Silk customer service to ask why they add salt to their almond milk. I got the answer, that I expected, but disagree with. "It makes it taste better"

I asked if they make any milk substitutes that have neither salt nor sugar added: After a bit of a search she found Unsweetened Coconutmilk | Silk . It has 50% more calories than the almond milk. however I decided that 150% of not very much = still not too much. I tried it on my cereal this morning and found I prefer it. We'll see how long that lasts.

Ken
Old 03-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #112
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
a gluten-free laugh

Well, I must say this thread gave me new insite about our diet and things that we can do to improve it. I was particularly taken by the "Wheat Belly" movement supported by cardiologist Dr. William Davis and many others. Thanks for introducing that to me, ALANSD!

I was talking about it to my sister, who looks 20 years younger than one would expect for a woman her age, and who is always trying to get me to improve my regimen. Of course, this is something she already follows, and she sent me this link that she tells me pretty well sums up her husband's thoughts on avoiding gluten.

Thought I'd share it with you. Some of you may already know John Pinette, but if you don't, here he is:

The sound is terrible, you may have to turn up the volume a bit...
Old 03-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #113
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

The sound is terrible, you may have to turn up the volume a bit...
That's because his voice is distorted from eating too much gluten.

And judging from his appearance, a lot of too much other things too.

Ken
Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Aagae, thanks. I laughed my glutenus maximus off.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #115
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
Hi protein Pancake or waffle recipe

6 egg whites

1 cup of regular oatmeal

1 cup of cottage cheese (we use low fat)

little bit of nutmeg

little bit of cinnamon

Tried the pancake recipe this morning. It is really good. We don't have a blender with us so I just used a wisk. A little lumpy but it works fine.

Thanks
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #116
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I finally called Silk customer service to ask why they add salt to their almond milk. I got the answer, that I expected, but disagree with. "It makes it taste better"

I asked if they make any milk substitutes that have neither salt nor sugar added: After a bit of a search she found Unsweetened Coconutmilk | Silk . It has 50% more calories than the almond milk. however I decided that 150% of not very much = still not too much. I tried it on my cereal this morning and found I prefer it. We'll see how long that lasts.

Ken
Almond milk is easy to make if you have a blender, so you can leave the salt out, and sweeten or not as you wish.

The basic recipe is to soak raw almonds (1 cup) in water to cover for at least 6-8 hours. Drain the almonds (not sure why!) and whirl up with 3 cups of fresh water. For a sweeter raw foods version, blend in a couple of pitted raw dates with it. Strain the "milk" out of the ground almonds and refrigerate. Flavour or not if you wish. (The ground almonds could be used in another dish, such as the morning oatmeal or sprinkled over dry cereal.)

On "organic" food. Gosh! So many terms have a culinary meaning that differs from the scientific one. Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable? It depends upon whether you're making a salad or studying botany.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #117
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachHouse View Post
Hi protein Pancake or waffle recipe

6 egg whites

1 cup of regular oatmeal

1 cup of cottage cheese (we use low fat)

little bit of nutmeg

little bit of cinnamon

Tried the pancake recipe this morning. It is really good. We don't have a blender with us so I just used a wisk. A little lumpy but it works fine.

Thanks
If you don't need a waffle iron or food processor, I am ready to take this one camping! (Limited cooking space in the Bambino.) For a short trip, I could probably just whirl it up at home, and bring it along in a fridge container.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Almond milk is easy to make if you have a blender, so you can leave the salt out, and sweeten or not as you wish.

The basic recipe is to soak raw almonds (1 cup) in water to cover for at least 6-8 hours. Drain the almonds (not sure why!) and whirl up with 3 cups of fresh water. For a sweeter raw foods version, blend in a couple of pitted raw dates with it. Strain the "milk" out of the ground almonds and refrigerate. Flavour or not if you wish. (The ground almonds could be used in another dish, such as the morning oatmeal or sprinkled over dry cereal.)

On "organic" food. Gosh! So many terms have a culinary meaning that differs from the scientific one. Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable? It depends upon whether you're making a salad or studying botany.
I looked into that once. I'll will have to think about it again. I can't remember why I didn't go forward. I like the date idea. Dates and figs have become my favorite treat myself snacks.

Ken
Old 03-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #119
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Don't feed your almond milk to your cat, if you have one. Apparently the results are not good.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #120
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Don't feed your almond milk to your cat, if you have one. Apparently the results are not good.
Thanks Aage,
Here is a whole list of things that a cat should not eat.

Universal Cats - Foods Toxic to Cats

And here is a bonus list of plants toxic to cats.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/emergency/p...FeZDMgodq38ASA

Ken